AUDIO (Character, Ship, Environment, Combat, FPS, etc.)

• Lbanyard

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    And thanks everyone for the issue council reports - they're hugely useful!
    Lee Banyard
    Audio Director
    CIG Audio
  • kiwioz

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yes get the same issue
    I would say the game maybe not bemanaging the cpu threads .
    I f have seen this before for many years in early code of software and can be address just takes some low level coding sleuthing.

If the issue was immediate then the audio with be distorted very early if not straight away . As it slowly gets affected and becomes worse it usually points to resource allocation or conflict or an extra call .

Great work by the way apart from the Audi the changes to the flight model is fantastic.

Boost not to sure on its need
    Missile camera disable option please.
    MFD fix and save configuration needs to be added
    Power management not working
    Major lag in SC and SM allot of rubber banding and teleporting
    SM not fluid movement very sluggish especially if there is high ping

Cheers
  • SleepyWalker

Posted:
    Posted:
    First off, I really enjoy the work done so far. I admittedly missed some sounds as they were changed, but the audio team gets bonus points for the work on grenades and general ambiance. Audio is a major part of any game and can really make or break moments and sometimes entire games.

---What kind of priority does the development of sounds identifying when player ships are taking damage have? As in, allowing players to know when their ship is taking hits and improving situational awareness.

My ideas were, depending on final damage model:

* Light pinging noises when ballistics are stopped by armor, similar to debris field _____ *tick.tick.tick...tick*
    * internal crunches or loud bangs if armor is breached (internal damage)_____ *thump* *bullet careen noise* *Smack*
    (could be recorded by shooting metal from far away. That way you can isolate out the *crack* of the shot due to bullet speed)

* A quick noise of some sort when shields absorb energy (too long or loud and it makes a mess of noise.)
    * Soft pops and/or sizzle when armor gets hit by energy weapons (can depend on weapon of course)___ *pphhh phh pphhh PHss*
    * hissing, sharp popping, and/or metal melting sounds ( I guess similar to thermite or a fountain firework)___ *FFFfffffff* *crackle*

* Various sizes of bits (screws, bolts, hunks, rocks) hitting different thicknesses/density of metal sheet when flying through debris (to simulate the different armor/hulls of various craft)

I know that there was some work done for debris clouds audio wise, but it appeared to only be the equivalent of bolts on tin/aluminum sheet (low density sheet, light objects). Also, I believe that most damage noises should be short and to the point. It is not uncommon to be absorbing tens of hits every few seconds when you are taking a pounding, so sounds taking up fractions of a second would be ideal.
  • Faxeir

Posted:
    Posted:
    Have the audio guys any experience with the latest IRCAM Spat v3 that enables fully 3D mixing?
    They have come out with a new v3 with even more options that really look nice for game mixing.
  • Dnaiz

Posted:
    Posted:
    Heya guys! :)
    Would just like to say that I admire what you're all doing!

I really like Star Marine's music and was wondering (obviously not a priority) if you guys are perhaps planning to add more music for it, specially with upcoming various modes, and if you're planning to add more of a futuristic type of music. I used to play (a really long time ago) Unreal Tournament, and one of the things besides the gameplay, was the music in general.

Here's a couple of examples:
    Foregone Destruction
    BotPack
    Nether Animal
    Skyward Fire

Also a shoutout to Ross for his music in Timesplitters, specially NeoTokyo! :)

Thanks everyone and keep up the great work!
    Auroras_Low.gif
  • Lbanyard

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Valve just released/revealed some really interesting audio-related middleware stuff that will supposedly be compatible with other middleware, including SC's, and looks like it could be quite powerful, useful, and worthwhile, even when not focusing on VR. Have you guys heard about this at all? Thoughts? Looks to have some great spatialization/propogation features and stuff.

https://valvesoftware.github.io/steam-audio/

They have acquired Impulsonic, yep - which was some tech we looked at a couple of years ago now. We didn't jump into it due to the lack of integration with the engine we were working with and also it just didn't quite live up to its promise. We're going to look into checking it out again but can't say much more than that at this point, it's difficult to cherry pick when you're as far along with what we're doing with propagation etc. as we are now! Good times for audio though right now, it's interesting how much of it is being driven by VR too.
    Lee Banyard
    Audio Director
    CIG Audio
  • Lbanyard

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I would like to ask if there are any plans to add or overhaul the ship interior soundFX. To hear all the clinks and clanks of the ship when the engine starts, when you land or liftoff...when receiving damage, etc. It seems to me like those sounds are missing...or is it normal and will be added later. I'd like to really feel the ship I'm flying..to create atmosphere.

The ship interior audio is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge. Or at least, how that used to be. It's forever ongoing and being revised. However one thing worth noting - we've had ships that have been a bit more 'loose' as you describe before, and had as much negative feedback as positive feedback (if not more). It's hard to cater for all tastes! We want the sound to be meaningful however and now that age/wear is coming online soon, we can tie certain sounds of depreciation into those. So that if you do hear the kind of detail you're talking about, it's probably going to be a sign that you need to repair your ship!

Lee Banyard
    Audio Director
    CIG Audio
  • Abe-Froman

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

I would like to ask if there are any plans to add or overhaul the ship interior soundFX. To hear all the clinks and clanks of the ship when the engine starts, when you land or liftoff...when receiving damage, etc. It seems to me like those sounds are missing...or is it normal and will be added later. I'd like to really feel the ship I'm flying..to create atmosphere.

The ship interior audio is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge. Or at least, how that used to be. It's forever ongoing and being revised. However one thing worth noting - we've had ships that have been a bit more 'loose' as you describe before, and had as much negative feedback as positive feedback (if not more). It's hard to cater for all tastes! We want the sound to be meaningful however and now that age/wear is coming online soon, we can tie certain sounds of depreciation into those. So that if you do hear the kind of detail you're talking about, it's probably going to be a sign that you need to repair your ship!

• Abe-Froman

Posted:
    Posted:
    I had a few questions regarding internal ship sound. First, I used to be a submariner and My experience of living inside of a huge machine was that the sounds inside it were constant and unique. If you knew the boat and how the systems operated and sounded, one would be able to gain a tremendous amount of information from the expected and unexpected sounds it made. I know the sounds of guns and hits are something that are currently ingame and I would be lying if I said they weren't useful information in a dogfight (even though sound isn't carried in space).
    I imagine the sounds of a ship (Spaceship or submarine) should have a unique character to them. It would be cool if one were able to tell the difference between a MISC engine or cooler and a Drake's (or if they've been modified). It's encouraging to read about the age/wear factors becoming a part of the soundscape. Will that eventually gain the same level of detail that ship damage has now? If you fought someone and an engine and a component were damaged, would the sound reflect that (i.e. if your ship was heavily damaged and portions of your displays were not working but you could hear components or engines weren't working)? I was wondering about how far the sounds of different components would travel in the models you've created, and how much of a sound collage they make? In smaller single seat fighters I would expect the pilot could tell if and when one of two engines would stop or wind down, or any redundant systems (shields, cooling) might fail based on the location the sound came from and the energy that system had.
    On a side note, are there any plans to create more detailed sound models for pressurization/depressurization being represented in tonal or pitch changes, like if you weren't wearing a spacesuit and the ship experienced a rapid depressurization?
    Thanks for all the work you guys are doing; this game is amazing.
  • spunge

Posted:
    Edited: by spunge
    Posted:
    Edited:
    One simple useful audio feature would be separate sounds for activating and deactivating ship flight systems.
    Example:
    Sound1 for Coupled mode flight
    Sound 2 for Decoupled
    or
    Sound 1 For GSafe On
    Sound 2 for GSafe Off

I often am toggling those in dogfights and it would be great to have some audio cues so I don't have to look... especially with GSafe... bummer to blackout in a dogfight.
  • cigg

Posted:
    Posted:
    I noticed on the Cat it's quite for engine sound will you be adding an engine rumble, nothing too abrupt when you have powerful engines especially at certain RPMS or loads like a weighted ship, there's a deeper growl an the vessel vibrates will you be adding more of this into the game ?
    RCtSWvb.png
  • VikMorroHun

Posted:
    Posted:
    Will you add some great music to the launcher again like in 2013 and 2014?
    LAMP_Vik.png

• Fushko

Posted:
    Posted:
    Some feedback:

First off, just wanted to say, Star Marine soundscape is pitch perfect. The volume of everything - from footsteps to firearms - feels spot on. And the muffled sound when getting outside the stations is so atmospheric and, I can't wait till we get that on the PU.

However, I can't say I'm satisfied with the direction the ship weapons are going since 2.6. The sound when firing inside a ship in 1st person seems overly boosted, to the point that it causes me to lower the volume and ruin all the other sounds. if I lower volume to a comfortable value, I can barely hear ship engines etc. Even the puny M3A lasers on the default Aurora feel very harsh on the ears.
    Then, I go to 3rd person and weapon audio seems normal again, and I can actually raise the volume a lot and have a much better aural experience.
    Is this direction we are heading with ship weapons? /concern

• Lbanyard

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Some feedback:

First off, just wanted to say, Star Marine soundscape is pitch perfect. The volume of everything - from footsteps to firearms - feels spot on. And the muffled sound when getting outside the stations is so atmospheric and, I can't wait till we get that on the PU.

However, I can't say I'm satisfied with the direction the ship weapons are going since 2.6. The sound when firing inside a ship in 1st person seems overly boosted, to the point that it causes me to lower the volume and ruin all the other sounds. if I lower volume to a comfortable value, I can barely hear ship engines etc. Even the puny M3A lasers on the default Aurora feel very harsh on the ears.
    Then, I go to 3rd person and weapon audio seems normal again, and I can actually raise the volume a lot and have a much better aural experience.
    Is this direction we are heading with ship weapons? /concern

Have you tried changing the dynamic range in the options? That might help you a lot in the meantime. We're still working on our ideal approach for weapon SFX at source and that will then impact what we do with the mix, it's tricky to put the mix before the content. But I do think having a less dynamic mix setting will assist you.
    Lee Banyard
    Audio Director
    CIG Audio
  • Lbanyard

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Will you add some great music to the launcher again like in 2013 and 2014?

The next launcher patch should have a different playlist, hopefully!

Lee Banyard
    Audio Director
    CIG Audio