Ask our Associate Producer Travis Day

• MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi Travis,

I was wondering, what else is going to come with the hangar module. Now, I know we can view some of the ships we pledged for, walk around, interact with them, but what about the player model. Is barebones basic character customization going to show up to customize your avatar even if it is just cycling between two presets, or is that going to be on hold for the social module? I honestly don't mind if everyone looked the same for this first playable iteration, but I was just curious as to how much will be available. Oh, and is the hangar module going to be available only through the site or can we link our accounts to Steam, which I believe was one of the option in the Kickstarter?

Hi Leodigarius,

There aren't currently plans to do a deep look at the HUD but if that is something the community would like to see some behind the scenes on the work that is going into it we could probably put together a video package for that. No promises but I can bring it up as an area of interest for video or jump point material. Especially as we get closer to dog fighting.

So that was in reference to the quotes / info here: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Head-up_display

...after reading that article, I just wanted to second the request for a "making of the HUD" featurette. According to the designer,

"The HUD is a platform in itself with 62 custom classes and a 20-page API manual so far. There are hundreds of data points that need to be connected up to the ship’s systems, so we’re still in the process of getting the cockpit fully “wired”. [...] If this sounds like something not recommended in a scaleform project, it isn’t — and they said it was crazy — but we’ve refactored, honed and optimized it to work."

That just sounds awesome, like a true game-design achievement in and of itself. I'd love to see more about it at some point. Thanks for taking it into consideration and 'running it up the ladder.'

Noted! :)

• MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Hi Travis,

I was wondering, what else is going to come with the hangar module. Now, I know we can view some of the ships we pledged for, walk around, interact with them, but what about the player model. Is barebones basic character customization going to show up to customize your avatar even if it is just cycling between two presets, or is that going to be on hold for the social module? I honestly don't mind if everyone looked the same for this first playable iteration, but I was just curious as to how much will be available. Oh, and is the hangar module going to be available only through the site or can we link our accounts to Steam, which I believe was one of the option in the Kickstarter?

Hi Leodigarius,

No plans for customization at this point. As you noted that will likely come online as part of the Social/Planetside module. I feel it is important to reiterate that the Hangar App is simply a demonstration of what we have been working on, it will not be polished, it will not be final, it is very much a work in progress. We are releasing to the community because we are very into the idea of open development and giving the fans that have supported us something to look at and help us refine. This is going to be something so early that it ordinarily would not be shown to a Publisher and certainly not put into full QA.

The Hangar App will only be available through our site. You will download our launcher/patcher which will download the content for the Module to your machine. No plans for Steam integration at this stage.

Thanks!
    -Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but do you have an idea yet for how indepth the co-op options for Squadron 42 will be? In Starlancer for example, I had a ton of fun playing in co-op with a friend because of how complete the experience was; myself and my friend had all of the cutscenes, dialogue, and scripted events available and were able to play through the whole campaign without missing anything.

I was curious if it would be the same with S42 - can I effectively play through the whole thing seamlessly with a friend, or will they be limited to "dropping in" in the middle of a mission, missing out on the cutscenes and other scripted bits?

(I actually bring up Starlancer specifically because I recall hearing a comment in an early Wingman's Hangar episode that some members on the team thought the co-op feature in Starlancer was never really used and not worth the development time.... wanted to chime in to say it was the exact opposite for me and has actually given me cause to dust the game off repeatedly over the years :) )

It is slated to be discussed in depth at the beginning of September (after Hangar crunch) and there is a lot to cover... Will they be their own character in their own ship? If so,.. What about missions that are supposed to be the player by themselves, maybe we want to strand them in space at some point?
    In the event you want to strand the player during coop, you can strand both players in their own ships in different places. Or if you didn't want that, they could flyer gunner or navigation stations for you. Oh please oh please have cool co-opness like that!
    Noted! :)
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi Travis,
    Thanks for your hard work. I never knew about the roles of an associate producers, so it's cool to learn someone like you is around.
    Since you also act as denmother, as you so lovingly put it, you would probably be the best to ask: How is everyone (including you) holding up?
    I can't imagine what it's like dealing with so much pressure and responsibility, especially when things are so transparent and open to the community. Does everyone manage to get enough sleep and healthy food? Do they have time to have fun and relax?
    As excited as I and everyone is for Star Citizen it would be tragic if anyone succumbs to it.

Hi Reavz,

Haha good question. Right now the team is very focused on the upcoming Hangar App release, hours are long, people are grumpy (mostly from lack of sleep), and tensions are high (due to the openness you noted).

Within the Interactive Entertainment Industry it is customary to provide dinner for folks who are crunching late into the night though I can't promise it is always healthy it is tasty. :)

Within this company everyone is an experienced professional who is used to the pre-release crunch. Generally it is up to the individuals (and between them and their managers) to manage their time and sanity effectively to avoid burnout. It is always a balance and we are trying to strike the right one between delivering on the expectations in the community while still allowing people to have some time to themselves.

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hello Travis,

I am not sure you are the right person to ask, but at least your title sounds least irrelevant to my question:

Is CIG planning to approach some major players in the airspace field to offer product placement?

I'm pretty sure players not only won't mind, but would also enjoy seeing corporation names like Virgin Intergalactic, Spacebus Industries, Musk Jumpdrives and the likes in game; and I'm pretty sure the respective trademark owners won't mind to handsomely donate towards SC development to get some extra publicity for themselves!

(Note that the legal issues can be avoided by not simply replicating their current names and logos, but by "morphing" them to fit the XXX century spacescape while keeping a certain level of recognizeability, like I did in my example.)

Hi Wesha,

Good question! At this point it is very up in the air (pun intended :) ) whether or not we would engage companies that would have place within our universe in the future. Obviously if this were to happen preservation of our universe would be most important so we would never have spaceships flying around emblazoned like NASCAR cars. But I could potentially see specific areas that this could work.

That said this is not something that has been given too much thought or discussion and may never happen, just idle talk.

-Travis

• MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

G'day Travis,

Two questions:

1. Will physical copies of the game be available for sale in places like amazon or gamestop?
    2. When will an announcement be made on what is happening about the "one account has many packages" situation?
    Hi Baragoon,

1. Possibly, this has not yet been determined as it is a long ways off and would require manufacturing and distribution partners and high costs compared with digital sales. No info on this yet.

2. I believe there will be a clarification on the policy forthcoming but I do not know when it is planned for.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi Travis!

I've always been curious how companies like CIG with their, admittedly diverse, but largely engine and mechanical production staff manage the task fleshing out the game universe's content. As the gent with his finger on the pulse of asset and task management how do you reckon the job of assigning resources towards mission and environment building as the game continues to creep past the "lets finish the hangar and dogfighting module.. Oh yeah also these ships." and into the "Oh man it's time to start coding someone walking down a hallway in S42... To say nothing of building 1000 in game missions with content ranging from boarding derelict vessels to blowing things up in a way that wont cause reviewers to liken our mission generation to that of EVE in terms of Zzzz factor" will pan out?

Is that the sort of thing that you would likely outsource? Are there companies that exist for the purposes of generating that very type of modded content? Or, in your experience, is it the kind of job that can be handled by just a few people supported by their own genius and an outpouring of suggestions from an invested community in addition to their fellow employees and general CIG roundtables?

Lengthy question, I know. Apologies for that!

Heya Dusty,

Lengthy but good, let me do my best to answer...

All of the items that you note are integrated in a master release plan we have been working on. This would cover what is needed for each stage of each release to the public. We've also been identifying dependencies and areas where work on one module benefits another directly which has informed the order in which the modules are releasing.

Specifically towards environments we are already engaged with partners like Behaviour and Void Alpha to start building out marquee (landmark) planet side environments within the SC universe. Once we have fully fleshed out the most efficient pipeline for this work we will replicate that pipeline with all our current and future development partners for this kind of work. This is actually very similar to the way that most AAA games are made. While every year a CoD comes out with either Infinity Ward or Treyarch on the box the reality is about 6-7 Activision studios as well as over 20 outsourcing partners work on any given year's title.

In my experience it requires people on our side of the fence like Chris and Rob Irving to have a strong creative vision that they push onto the development partners and then we as Producers manage them to that vision obviously with constant feedback from the creative side. It is best not to think of this as "outsourcing" as that comes with a lot of negative quality and political connotations. The reality is that we are hiring another developer to help us scale the team rapidly without absorbing all the overhead costs associated. It also allows us to avoid the classic game company paradigm of hiring from a team of 20-30 in pre-production all the way up to 250-300 near the end of a project, only to lay everyone but the core team off as soon as the game ships. This way we can scale dynamically without the risk of having to layoff any employees that have given us so much as soon as the project wraps up. You can see examples of this at EA, Activision, and most recently Trion after they shipped Defiance. For the partner that we contract with they will know the scope of work they are doing and, if they are doing it right, will have another partnership or internal game ready for their team to roll onto as soon as their work for us is done. In this way the risks of being "out of work" are distributed and there is a much better chance that everyone walks away with their job intact.

There is also room in this equation for what can be really be considered outsourcing. For example every planetside environment will need to have what we call "set dressing" things like trees, potted plants, pipes, barrels, crates, air conditioning units, etc. All of these items by themselves are very easy to make and do not require too much technical skills (when compared to making a ship for example) but the volume of items needed makes it uneconomical to task someone who is extremely talented and would normally make a ship to make 100 different kinds of potted plants for different environments. In these very specific cases it makes a lot more financial sense to properly outsource the creation of these assets on a work for hire basis. In these cases what generally happens in games is that the contracting company (in this example CIG) would provide a style guide for the environment which the props are being created for. The style guide would cover materials to be used, look and feel, environmental shots, and sometimes even specific color palettes to be adhered to.

So there is an overly long answer to your question. Hope I covered everything you were wondering about and even if I didn't I hope you learned something about the way it all works. :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi,
    at first, im not native english speaker, so exuse my bad english please.
    second, for me, you guys are all literally gods.

I have an idea for the game, and i dont think that anybody mentioned this before, so i wanted to know whether its constructive or just inapropriate. I assume that in star citizen, you're able to travel (through jumppoints) faster than the speed of light. So my idea was to show the player "the speed of light". If you are floating in point A and see a Galaxy far away (you can't go there, just pretty background) then you travel in the star citizen starmap say 100.000 (ingame)lightyears to point B, wouldn't it be cool to see the same Galaxy in the background but in a diffrenet shape. Like it was 100.000 years before, or after you saw it at point A, depending weather you traveled away or towards the Galaxy"in the background".

I know that you have totally diffrent concerns right now, but I just wanted to tell you my idea of implementing the concept of lightspeed into a video game, since its biggest target is beeing as real as possible.
    I hope you understand my concept depite my bad english, and I would like to hear your thoughts about it.

Hi Mazahaka,

That is a really cool idea. I personally always think about that when I look up at the stars at night. It is really fascinating to me that the light hitting my eyes is actually from hundreds, thousands, and even millions of years ago. Implementing a system like that in the game would be very interesting and I think would add a lot to the atmosphere. Seeing something familiar, but changed, is always a cool feeling in gaming.

As you noted though this would definitely (and unfortunately) fall into the "nice to have" category (at least in my judgement) when held against the other pressing tasks for making the game. I will definitely keep this in the back of my mind as we go further down the road though as I think it is a really cool idea and it would be challenging (fun and interesting) to implement. :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi Travis,
    I have a question Wingman's Hanger Episode 32 or 33.

In the meeting a forum question was asked regarding Beam weapons and the response from Dev was it was too difficult. However, I also play Mech Warrior Online and they use Beam Weapons all day in the form of Large Lasers, etc. Is this something which is really to hard to add? Maybe someone at the MWO team could provide some helpful tips for implementing this.

Thanks,
    Danoth

Hi xRanger,

I would definitely pose this question to Robert Irving since he is the one (in episode 32 @5:30 or so) that stated that the beam weapons would be difficult to implement. I think that your are thinking he said it would be technically difficult to implement. What I think he was saying was that it would be difficult to implement from a gameplay perspective.

As you noted MWO and several other games built with CryENGINE implement beam weapons fine technically. I think Rob's concern was more centered around how to have the beam weapons effectively (fun) live within the same universe as what are mostly projectile (even energy projectiles) weapons without breaking the balance or fun of it.

Once again though, I would ask him what he meant directly because I can only guess.

Thanks,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hey, Travis.

I don't have a question, I just wanted to say I dig the friendly chops. I used to have them myself until my lady objected... for the hundredth time. I've been downgraded to but a simple beard. I miss 'em. Used to have long hair, too. This wasn't at the same time, mind you. Do not miss the long hair. Got too hot during the summer. Pain to wash, too. Got nothing but respect for people with long hair. (And chops.)

Anyway, I hope your significant other appreciates your chops as much as I loved mine.

EDIT: I feel like, if on the off chance this gets read, I should include a question. So I got one. Every time someone asks me about my favorite color (Doesn't happen as much now as it did 20-some years ago) I look 'em straight in the eye and tell 'em "Beige." And I'm being completely honest, but they look at me like I'm crazy.

So what's your favorite color, and why?

Hi Jerkturkey,

Haha, yeah, over time I have conditioned my wife to appreciate facial hair (when I have it) though it can be difficult at times and I still get teased for it by her calling me, "little mountain man" and other such slightly denigrating terms of endearment. :)

The story on this picture was that I was living just outside Minneapolis, Minnesota during the winter where the temperature can be below -20 degrees Fahrenheit and below -40 degrees with wind chill. So the temperature coupled with the fact that we were in major crunch for Deadpool, couple with my own hygienic laziness led me to grow this (at least for me) epic beard.

Once we had submitted Deadpool to all the first parties and we were just waiting to hear back on it I announced I would be shaving my beard. My friend sitting next to me (shout out to J.D.) made me promise that before I shaved it I would make it into a Lemmy (Lemmy being from Motorhead http://media.musicfeeds.com.au/files/3aa7ce72f67f679f8b31793778e6e9ff2.jpg) for a few days before I shaved it all the way off. I took this picture in my bathroom right after I finished shaving it so I could text him his work of art. :)

To answer your question, blue. The reason being because I find it soothing and enjoyable to look at. Makes me think of water and the ocean and having always grown up near the coast or on a lake I have a real affinity for water. I could go on and on about how water is the coolest combination of elements ever but I will just leave it here. :)
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hello Travis,

First, sorry for my bad english its not my native language i am french.

If i resume my question its Multiple package = Multiple Hangar ?

For example, I am "original backers and veteran" and I bought several pack:
    ARBITER - LTI
    RSI Constellation - LTI
    Retaliator Heavy Bomber - LTI

So I "hangar fees reward" which means no rental fees hangar.

The pack Arbiter - LTI Starting with Hangar : Discount
    The RSI pack Constellation - LTI Starting with Hangar : Deluxe

This involved a number of issues for which I seek an official response.
    Many people bought several pack and will be interested in the answers.

My questions are:
    1. I want to be sure I have no rental fee for my 2 Hangars
    2. I paid for 2 Hangars = 1 Discount + 1 Deluxe. I want be sure that my two hangars are not transformed into one hangar only :(
    3. me have 2 Hangars and my first Hangar is the "Discount" so it will start on my planet, can I choose where my second Hangar ?
    4. logically all my 3 ships can use all my 2 hangars its just ?
    5. Its possible gave temporally acces to my Hangar to one Friend or Clan mate ?
    6. Its possible lease one Hangar to other player ? This idea can develop community life in game.

I plan to buy an other pack because I would like another ship and the third hangar and choose a location for him. I like to have several home because the space is large.

Thank you for your time, i hope me not disturb your work with this questions, but to this step much players want clarification about situation with multiple hangars and multiple accounts.

Thank you to all the team continue to build our dream.

VPsyke Founder for "The Visitors" community for gamers born on Freelancer video game since 10 years ago.

Hi VPsyke,

No worries, your questions make complete sense. Let me caveat everything I am about to say with... "This is the current plan but is it absolutely subject to change and I may not personally be 100% correct on the idea for this that is in Chris' head"

1. When we get to the persistent universe you should have no rental fee on both hangars.
    2. When we get to the persistent universe you should have both hangars.
    3. When we get to the persistent universe you should be able to choose which hangar is placed on which planet. This comes with the caveat that in the persistent universe not all planets/landing location will have every available level of hangar. For example some very remote planet may only have the discount hangar while a planet like Terra will offer all the levels of hangars.
    4. The hangars are designed to fit the ships that they are packaged with. So for example your Constellation will not fit in your Discount hangar but will fit in your Deluxe hangar. By contrast though the smaller ships will fit in any of the larger Hangers so your 300 series will fit with you Constellation in the deluxe hangar.
    5. In the persistent universe and possibly in the social/planetside module it will be possible to give access to your hangar to other players.
    6. Not sure about this but this is definitely something we will explore when it comes to the persistent universe.

Hope this answers your questions! :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Within this company everyone is an experienced professional who is used to the pre-release crunch. Generally it is up to the individuals (and between them and their managers) to manage their time and sanity effectively to avoid burnout. It is always a balance and we are trying to strike the right one between delivering on the expectations in the community while still allowing people to have some time to themselves.

-Travis

I hear water boarding and threatening family members are effective motivating methods......I'm kidding :)

......Maybe

Hehe, I wouldn't dream of it. For anyone who is really interested in motivation especially for creative software employees I highly recommend "Drive" by Daniel Pink. It was recommended to me by Jonty Barnes from Bungie and it was an informative read that helped to shift my paradigm about what management and motivation is or should be. I reference it constantly in my daily life.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hello Travis,

ARBITER - LTI
    RSI Constellation - LTI

My questions are:
    2. I paid for 2 Hangars = 1 Discount + 1 Deluxe. I want be sure that my two hangars are not transformed into one hangar only :(
    3. me have 2 Hangars and my first Hangar is the "Discount" so it will start on my planet, can I choose where my second Hangar ?
    6. Its possible lease one Hangar to other player ? This idea can develop community life in game.

I plan to buy an other pack because I would like another ship and the third hangar and choose a location for him. I like to have several home because the space is large.

Thank you for your time, i hope me not disturb your work with this questions, but to this step much players want clarification about situation with multiple hangars and multiple accounts.

VPsyke Founder for "The Visitors" community for gamers born on Freelancer video game since 10 years ago.

Hi VPsyke,

No worries, your questions make complete sense. Let me caveat everything I am about to say with... "This is the current plan but is it absolutely subject to change and I may not personally be 100% correct on the idea for this that is in Chris' head"

1. When we get to the persistent universe you should have no rental fee on both hangars.
    3. When we get to the persistent universe you should be able to choose which hangar is placed on which planet. This comes with the caveat that in the persistent universe not all planets/landing location will have every available level of hangar. For example some very remote planet may only have the discount hangar while a planet like Terra will offer all the levels of hangars.
    4. The hangars are designed to fit the ships that they are packaged with. So for example your Constellation will not fit in your Discount hangar but will fit in your Deluxe hangar. By contrast though the smaller ships will fit in any of the larger Hangers so your 300 series will fit with you Constellation in the deluxe hangar.
    5. In the persistent universe and possibly in the social/planetside module it will be possible to give access to your hangar to other players.
    6. Not sure about this but this is definitely something we will explore when it comes to the persistent universe.

-Travis
    I'm confused... I thought we would only have ONE hangar and that it would be the largest one you "qualify" for. IE, if you have an Aurora and a Freelancer, you'll be getting a business hangar and not a discount. If you buy a Constellation then your Business hangar is upgraded to a Deluxe Hangar.

Are you saying that we get all hangars if we have ships that have them listed? Because I have an Aurora LX, 315p, 350r, Hornet, Cutlass, and Constellation. So does that mean I'm going to be getting a Discount, Business, "Asteroid Base" (for the Cutlass), and Deluxe Hangar? I thought I would just be getting the Deluxe hangar because it's the largest one.
    His question was in reference to his multiple packages. Given that he owned multiple packages it would make sense that once we get the the PU stage of development/release each package (game) would have its associated hangar.

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hello Travis,

ARBITER - LTI
    RSI Constellation - LTI

My questions are:

Hi VPsyke,

-Travis
    I'm confused... I thought we would only have ONE hangar and that it would be the largest one you "qualify" for. IE, if you have an Aurora and a Freelancer, you'll be getting a business hangar and not a discount. If you buy a Constellation then your Business hangar is upgraded to a Deluxe Hangar.

Are you saying that we get all hangars if we have ships that have them listed? Because I have an Aurora LX, 315p, 350r, Hornet, Cutlass, and Constellation. So does that mean I'm going to be getting a Discount, Business, "Asteroid Base" (for the Cutlass), and Deluxe Hangar? I thought I would just be getting the Deluxe hangar because it's the largest one.
    VPsyke said: 'For example, I am "original backers and veteran" and I bought several pack:'
    VPsyke wrote above and I read as == "original backers and veteran backers" == 2 accounts == 2 hangars as one account cant be original and veteran at the same time...

correct me if I'm wrong
    You are exactly correct as to my meaning. :)

• MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

yo travis, sorry if this has been asked, but will sc support dual throttles?

Great question but I don't have an equally great answer. Here it is... Maybe. :)

I could definitely see us supporting controlling individual engine nacelles on the larger vessels but that isn't confirmed. It would stand to reason that if we support this then it could be reasonably be mapped to a throttle or dual throttle or quad throttle system with the number of individually controllable engines affecting the number of throttles supported. :)
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

The hardback "Engineering Manual for Modders", by its very nature of being a physical entity, means it will become out-of-date, probably within a few months of release. I assume the digital version will be kept up-to-date, or at least updated periodically. Will those who have purchased the hardback version (either as part of a package or separately) be given access to the digital version when that happens? This could also be an issue for the Squadron 42 manual, but I don't see it having the same impact as the engineering manual.

(When I asked the Concierge for an answer, they recommended I post it in the Ask a Dev section, so I thought it sounded like a good question for the Associate Producer.)

-Div

Hi Dividion,

There will most likely be a digital version of the modding manual, more likely just a modding guide (not quite a pretty as the hardback manual) provided at release. The digital version would most likely be made available to every backer and kept up-to-date. The perk of the physical one is having a physical version that nobody else will have. Who knows, maybe after a year or two we will do a new physical one and have it for sale. Version 2 if you will. :)

The same will likely be true of the manual.

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hello,

I've an idea about the Hanger Mod that's about to come out, I've read your thread and didn't see (at least as far as I can tell) any mention of what my idea is.

Ok, the idea is to let ppl try out/get into the ships they don't own... currently I have purchased the 300i package and will be able to get into that, im content with my ship, however I've been looking at the constellation and the freelance... im on the Fence so to speak about them and, If I were able to just get into one and look around I might be "motivated" to plank down the extra cash to officially own one...

I've a feeling many other people are thinking like myself that their base model ship they've got is "okay" and are thinking about a bigger better ship but just cant quite justify the extra dinero. So with this Hanger module coming out, I feel it could bring extra revenue to SC if ppl were just allowed to "window shop" so to speak.

Im sure it wouldn't be that hard to implement an npc in the hanger module that you could speak to have that person "bring in" the ship you want to look at, even with the discount hanger module, there could be a door with a guy leaning up against the wall and you talk to him and walla you get to go through the door and see the ship in question, look around, then log and purchase the ship because your convinced that now you can truly justify the extra backing :)

Thoughts?

Hiya SandmanTX,

This is a good idea and is actually something that I have suggested as well though not for the Hangar module. It was my thought to have something similar for a later release of dogfighting or perhaps at the launch of the full game have missions where you are loaned a ship for the duration of the mission. The thought process was the same though which would be to have a rotation like League of Legends champion rotation or have several "try before you buy" tokens. I share your desire to get people off the fence and into their new ship. :)

Not likely for Hangar but I could see us doing something like this down the road. Heck maybe the ship dealers in the persistent universe will offer a 24-hour test drive like some car dealers of today. :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Has it been considered including a packet shaping program to help optimize people's internet connection for dogfighting? ASRock motherboards include this software and I find it very useful in online gaming. CFOspeed is the main program. Maybe try setting it to automatically optimize for ping?

We will be investigating all methods (in addition to those already present in CryENGINE) including backend optimizations to support the quickest ping times possible.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hello,

I've an idea about the Hanger Mod that's about to come out, I've read your thread and didn't see (at least as far as I can tell) any mention of what my idea is.

Ok, the idea is to let ppl try out/get into the ships they don't own... currently I have purchased the 300i package and will be able to get into that, im content with my ship, however I've been looking at the constellation and the freelance... im on the Fence so to speak about them and, If I were able to just get into one and look around I might be "motivated" to plank down the extra cash to officially own one...

I've a feeling many other people are thinking like myself that their base model ship they've got is "okay" and are thinking about a bigger better ship but just cant quite justify the extra dinero. So with this Hanger module coming out, I feel it could bring extra revenue to SC if ppl were just allowed to "window shop" so to speak.

Im sure it wouldn't be that hard to implement an npc in the hanger module that you could speak to have that person "bring in" the ship you want to look at, even with the discount hanger module, there could be a door with a guy leaning up against the wall and you talk to him and walla you get to go through the door and see the ship in question, look around, then log and purchase the ship because your convinced that now you can truly justify the extra backing :)

Thoughts?

Hiya SandmanTX,

This is a good idea and is actually something that I have suggested as well though not for the Hangar module. It was my thought to have something similar for a later release of dogfighting or perhaps at the launch of the full game have missions where you are loaned a ship for the duration of the mission. The thought process was the same though which would be to have a rotation like League of Legends champion rotation or have several "try before you buy" tokens. I share your desire to get people off the fence and into their new ship. :)

Not likely for Hangar but I could see us doing something like this down the road. Heck maybe the ship dealers in the persistent universe will offer a 24-hour test drive like some car dealers of today. :)

-Travis
    Ship showrooms which have all a brand's avaliable ships avaliable to poke around would be nice, and surely wouldn't be much different from the hangar in concept :) Would feel realistic too, the minimum you do when you buy a new car is open the doors and look inside a bit first!

By the way, thanks for the answers, loved the explanation of outsourcing etc.

No problem! Cheers!
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hey Travis,

Just wondering if you could gives us a status update on each of the wip ships so we can get an idea of how far off we are from seeing them? E.g concept only, modelled, animated, flyable etc.

I recently picked up an m50 before the cutoff and I really want to see the rendered product as I'm a little bit on the fence with the picture (I think the concepts looked way more slick). I'm personally more interested in seeing models of them all rather than in the hangar

I'm in no way rushing you, I'm just interested in how they're all coming along. You guys are doing an epic job already.

I probably can't give you a complete breakdown as to the current status in the construction process of each ship. Needless to say we are working diligently on bringing them all to life, its probably just not something that I should share. I can promise that we will be showing updates as quickly as they come in commlinks and during events like the livestreams.

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hey there... Am I too late for a question?

I had to ask this... One of the things that made a game memorable is the music... I hope Roberts got a wicked soundtrack [maybe some tributes to Freelancer... I love the racecourse song...]

We are actually in the early stages of this process. Look for an update soon. Our Composer, Pedro Camacho is superb!

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

The hardback "Engineering Manual for Modders", by its very nature of being a physical entity, means it will become out-of-date, probably within a few months of release. I assume the digital version will be kept up-to-date, or at least updated periodically. Will those who have purchased the hardback version (either as part of a package or separately) be given access to the digital version when that happens? This could also be an issue for the Squadron 42 manual, but I don't see it having the same impact as the engineering manual.

(When I asked the Concierge for an answer, they recommended I post it in the Ask a Dev section, so I thought it sounded like a good question for the Associate Producer.)

-Div

Hi Dividion,

There will most likely be a digital version of the modding manual, more likely just a modding guide (not quite a pretty as the hardback manual) provided at release. The digital version would most likely be made available to every backer and kept up-to-date. The perk of the physical one is having a physical version that nobody else will have. Who knows, maybe after a year or two we will do a new physical one and have it for sale. Version 2 if you will. :)

The same will likely be true of the manual.

-Travis
    Thanks for the reply, Travis.

I just wanted to point out that there's already a Digital Engineering Manual for Modders in the store (for $10, versus $20 for the Hardback version), and it's one of the featured items included in the Digital Freelancer package. Based on your reply I'm not sure if you were aware of it. I thought it might just be a digital replica of the hardback version that you guys kept up-to-date, but if it's "versioned" (as in not kept-up-to-date) like the hardback manual, I guess it's not really an issue.
    The guide you mentioned sounds different, and it sounds like it'll be what you keep up-to-date, and everyone will have access to it (which answers my original question). So as long as there's something unique about the store items (both digital and physical), I think everyone will be happy.

-Div
    Well the thing is, as with anything digital, as soon as we release it, everyone will effectively have access to it. :)

I am sure that any guide we put out will be quickly improved upon by the community faster than we could keep it up to date. We will probably do new versions as new milestones of functionality come online.

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi Travis,

back in the Biergarten trivia contest event over in Germany I approached you with a somewhat odd "revelation".

I told you that evertime I see your name, it reminds me of my childhood, because of a racing game I was playing back in the day (no pun intended :p ). You know, like when you listen to music from your childhood, you sometimes can remember the images of the situation where you were listening to it.

It was a Formula One simulator by Geoff Crammond (Micro Prose) and because they didn't have an official license they weren't allowed to use the real driver's names. Some well known drivers just had their names slightly changed and some random ones were added into the mix. One of them was "Travis Daye". While it is not exactly your name, you still wanted to see this, as it is close enough in spelling and the same in pronounciation.

I did some digging on youtube and after going through several videos I finally found one where the name is displayed (The game had an editor included and people had changed the names in a lot of those vids).

Well, here it is:
    0.jpg

(Skip to about 7:48 and have a look at the race results)

As you can see he finished 2nd and always was one of the better drivers in that game who gave me a lot of headaches in my own play sessions, which might be the reason I even remembered this. ;)

Anyway, thank you for bringing back memories of my childhood by just appearing here on the site some time ago. :)

Kind regards
    George

Hahaha! Thanks for digging this up, I remember that conversation and I am glad that I could do my part to help you relive old memories! :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hello Travis,

ARBITER - LTI
    RSI Constellation - LTI

My questions are:

Hi VPsyke,

-Travis
    Travis,

Loved the livestream from Germany. You guys did great. I also have a few packages (Admiral, Colonel, Pirate, etc.) . Are you saying we get the hanger from each package? From talking to Chris about multiple packages what I got was they would be folded into one account. As in, if I want to use those packages (I do) in one account they would be folded into one account. If I wanted to gift parts away (game itself) I had to give the whole package.

I expect 1 hanger, do I need 8 hangers? Not really. I'll take them if you make me. ;D If I had to take a second hanger it would be the possible asteroid hanger.

Keep up the good work.
    Tazntaylr
    I hope this has been clarified with the recent post from Chris on multiple packages. Starting hangar per character is what I believe to be true. If you still have questions just let me know.

Cheers,
    Travis

• MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    I really really hope so! We've been looking at some different 3D printing and traditional sculpting options to see what would be best. We all want to have some ships on our desks too! :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi Travis,

Will variants of the Freelancer and Hornet become available before the LTI cutoff date in November?

Stay tuned! :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hi there.

It is being reported that GTA 5 cost over $200 million to produce.
    Pressure to deliver on investments aside, describe the impact that amount of money would have on the development of Star Citizen.

Also, as of today (or whenever you look at this post) how likely is a pre-2015 launch date looking- or are you allowed to speculate?

Well first I will say that speculation and theory is probably not something that I should share. Chris will definitely update the community as the game progresses.

GTA likely cost more than that even, I just beat the game this weekend and the credits go on for more than 15 minutes! :)

That amount of money would help us to scale bigger in the long run. One thing people have to understand though is that hiring takes time, signing leases takes time. If someone handed us 200 million dollars today it isn't like we would run out and hire 100 more people tomorrow. Sustainable growth and making sure to get quality people over a quantity of people is paramount!

I would actually be a little worried if someone handed us that much money. The larger the dollar amounts the higher the risk becomes of getting careless with the money, mass hiring a bunch of people of which only some are star talent, etc. Generally people need to keep in mind that building a team, designing a game, fleshing out a universe, etc. take time. 9 women can't create a baby in 1 month, some things just take time to get right or at all.

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Travis
    I would like to start by saying how Excited I am that you guys are allowing us to watch the development of the game as it happens and taking our input as Star Citizen is being developed. I was browsing the forums today regarding larger crewed ships and had a puzzling thought that turned into a really good question. The thought was that Everyone want to be Batman, But no one really wants to be Robin.
    That being said, What incentives are you going to have for players to join other players Crew? It would be fun to have everyone aboard YOUR ship and you are captain, but, why would I wanna be on someone else s crew? I could get in my ship, run the missions I want to and advance my own career instead. I m not sure I see the incentive.

Well in my mind the incentives would be similar to what they are in real life. Not everyone can afford their own crab fishing vessel, they may be able to afford a small speedboat but you would never take that into the Bering Sea. So until you make your own fortune its possible that the only way for you to see the Bering Sea (safely) and see a larger ship from the inside would be to work on someone elses ship.

In addition, there will likely be situations where your friends have a larger ship that you can all crew together. It will be up to the captain to negotiate the terms of splitting up any rewards or mission payments to his crew but assuming you are all friends you could all hang out on the same ship and run missions together (maybe ones that you couldn't do alone?) and split the rewards. Maybe you could make the same amount or even slightly more in your own Aurora but you wouldn't get to hang out with your friends, be on a big vessel, or see XYZ location that you do together on a larger ship.

Hope that makes some sense?

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Hey Travis,

Quick question! The forums are ablaze with the MMO side of things - but there are increasing whispersof people starting to say.."Hey, what about those who don't MMO Bro? What about those - who single player a server yo?"

Will be see more information about how they'll work?

Will they have a pause button?

Will you be able to have a space station and a Bengal by yourself in the Private Server?

Will we ever get to meet real life aliens and have cross species Olympics?

Thanks in advance!

Some I can answer and some I can't, mostly because we're not 100% sure how the details of these items will work...

1. We will see more on the single player campaign and the options for coop play before the end of this year hopefully. There are some big announcements to make in this regard it is just a question of when they will happen, which I don't know. Pause button in single player of course, on a private server, unknown.

2. You should be able to have a Bengal (or spawn one I suppose) if you own the private server.

3. RE: Cross Species Olympics I am not sure. I like to think that we will make contact in my lifetime but I also fear what humanity's reaction would be. Not to mention fearing how the aliens would react to us. All in all I really hope it happens but I have a lot of concerns about what it would do to life as we know it. :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:

Now you plead for giving you 23mio$ - 1st it was 20 (which already should include all costs, because KS/Paypal/Credit "tax" was known at that time also), then 21 (and maybe even 22 - I never followed all of your publications).

...but out of this we had to pay Kickstarter (approx. 10% of funds raised),...
    -->It's 10% of the KS funding so appr. 213000$, so even with Paypal/Credit less than 6% of the original stated 20mio$.

OK, the RSI-Site is VERY NICE and so these additional costs are noteworthy.

I am not seeing the question in here, is there one? I would recommend reading the post Chris put up in a commlink about where all the costs come from. Some of them do actually change and are harder to project like physical goods which are on some packages and not others and you cannot predict which packages (with or without goods) will be more popular and so they costs do not grow in a linear 1:1 fashion.

Otherwise let me know if you have a specific question and I would be more than happy to answer you!

-Travis
This discussion has been closed.