Persistent Universe - Design

• Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Greetings all

In the Monthly report it was stated that BHVR were working on the Million Mile High Club. "The Million Mile High Club is also in the works. This will be a great place to meet your fellow citizens." This raises several questions:

Is the work BHVR are doing linked to the facility "you run in game" perk members of the Million Mile High Club were granted in the original Completionist pledge? If it is related to our perk then how is it envisaged that the facility will work?

Will the facility perk MMHC members have be linked to the economy and the varied nodes (described in the initial economy document)? Following on from this will the various facilities owned by MMHC members be scattered throughout the starting areas in the PU and fill different rolls (ie some being entertainment, some others of the production/manufacturing or processing plants producing or refining some of the components needed elsewhere, or even small population centers producing workers etc as outlined in the original document on how economic nodes would work. I know that the initial document is old and may now be superseded by another more detailed view of the economy.

As a member of the MMHC I am interested, as I am sure the other MMHC members are, in the development of the facility gained in our packages. It would be awesome if these were used as a test bed for the development of player owned/run facilities down the line.

I and my fellow club members would love the opportunity to provide our thoughts, dreams hopes feedback and ideas as the game moves forward and the player run facility owned by MMHC members comes closer to being added into the PU.
    Although, I think many of the owners would appreciate being able to provide their thoughts, dreams and hopes for the package I think you will the number of ideas, suggestions will greatly outnumber the members of the Million Mile High Club.

Algared

The details of these clubs are still being worked out, but my understanding is that your MMHCs will be connected to your hangar. It'll be a super exclusive and uniquely designed space meant to evoke the feeling of privilege just by being there. The purpose is whatever you'd like to use an opulent temple of exquisite social status for.
    Warning: Everything in this post may change or spontaneously combust at any point.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I was wondering if there are any plans to have hidden missions sprinkled around the PU?

Say for instance you might pick up some cargo expecting a milk run, but that cargo could actually be the trigger to a scripted mission that sweeps you off on some adventure, with all the lasting effects/rewards to your character that go with it.

I think little surprises like this would add significantly to the believable "living breathing universe" feel.

We definitely aim to have things like this occur.
    Warning: Everything in this post may change or spontaneously combust at any point.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

where do ships like the merchantman, labelled as a "travelling bazaar," actually sell things?

When we land we are in a private hangar. How do you sell goods in a private hangar?

You can invite people onto your ship or hangar to do business. The functionality of the mobile marketplace are still being worked out. I suspect it will involve docking/boarding.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

A possible resource for Planetary (and System) investigative Analysis.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bqmyPMo1uQE

~~
    Most especially RE the dialogue dealing with the dangers of 'early theory-crafting'

Cool stuff. Thanks!
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Greetings! I first wanted to say thank you for all your hard work so far and thanks for answering questions from the community.

My question is about movement and rendering. I know the game is not to be judged yet, I was wondering when the FPS module comes out and the PU comes out, will the player movement be more smooth (similar to CS, or Arma 3)? Right now when I log into my hanger the player movements are a little clunky (I have a bad video card) I was just curious if that is temporary and will the FPS module be redesigning movements so that player movements will be more smooth in first person and 3rd person?

Thanks again for all your hard work and really looking forward to new modules being released!

The clunkiness is just a part of the early design. We'll be smoothing it out as things move forward.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    MrQuark:
    [hide]

A while back I posed an idea/question regarding hangar parties to kick off the the launch of the PU.
    I received a very prompt reply that I was very happy with and for that I was truly grateful.

Part of that prior request was regarding having the jukeboxes being able to be ambient or via PA so all in hangar (or where ever) were listening to the same thing. Now I am aware of the legal ramifications of public music broadcasting so I started to think of a different way.
    What if I could gather together citizens that wished to create "future" music as in verse characters. (original content).
    With the release of the "news broadcast" variant of the Reliant, I also know people that would like to be able to do radio shows, that could somehow promote music across the verse. I could easily imagine that the Radio shows would be via a comms channel, either on the mobi, or ship systems. However the jukebox still vexes me. ( it just struck me that you may have sorted this for the upcoming social module)

In essence my questions are:
    a - Is any of this plausible/doable?
    b - Am I taking CR's manifesto of a rich and varied verse too far?
    c - Should I stick to blowing shit up?

Thanks to all the team for the hard work, it's been quite a ride.

As a musician this is of great interest to me. I'll investigate and see if anything could be done on this front yet. I've pitched the idea of user created music before but we just weren't at a stage where we could focus on it. Someday I hope we have genuine Star Citizen bands creating and even performing their own music in 'Verse.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Are you able to elaborate more on what is known about smuggling? How will shielding work? If you land on a landing site and the shielding hides the goods, how are you going to be able to offload with out getting busted? What kind of criminal records will you have? Or in general what is planned and what is in the thought process.

Smuggling will be all about reputation. Maintaining a positive reputation as a transporter will allow a smart smuggler to pass with much greater ease. The more publically well known a citizen is to be a criminal the harder it is going to be for them to get away with something as sneaky as smuggling. There are several shielding mechanics to allow a player to hide their cargo ranging from scan-resistant containers to hidden compartments. I'm still refining the exact details, but it's going to be a great system. More details about many professions coming soon!
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I was wondering if any changes are being considered for Ship/Bay management?

Currently I see a lot of wasted space. A large and medium size ship both take up the same amount of space and an extra small ship like the Merlin takes up a small space. What about a mechanic where you could fit 4-6 extra small ships in a bay or 2 medium sized ships or even a medium and a small ... ? Maybe a point system where each bay has 9 center points and each ship takes up a number of points based on its size so in addition to the current SSS M L setup add something like this.

4-xS---2-M---1M1S---1M2xS

XOX ---OOO---OOO---XOO
    OOO---MOM---SOM---OOM
    XOX ---OOO---OOO---XOO

Just a visual but with more options the hangar could look better and we could see more ships in it without swapping around.

This will be refined further with time.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Star System Design Question: A lot of people have mentioned binary and multi star systems as well as inhabitable moons around gas giants etc. There is also an unanswered question about whether orbits will be modeled or the system would remain static. So the following question while interesting will be impacted by the decision on orbits or static system positions.
    There are examples of star systems with Gas Giants whose orbits have collapsed and now spin at mercury or closer distances to their parent stars completing insane orbits in a matter of hours. a good example is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASP-19b
    which orbits at 18.9 hours.
    Now we can imagine a captured planet or one that's escaped the bulldozering of its orbit by virtue of luck and how wild their sky would look with a daily solar eclipse when that hot jupiter passes across the horizon. It'd be like a dime being occluded by a quarter in terms of scale, if not larger. Will we be seeing such phenomena either from orbit or in game? Because that would be pretty wild

We do plan to have celestial bodies in orbit. Events like you describe will be dependant on how deep we go in terms of planetary movement simulation. It won't be in initially, but time will tell. We have a lot of people that was fascinated by this sort of thing though.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I was wondering if investigative gameplay - a detective career or investigators would have any place in the persistent universe ?

Is this worthy of consideration or in anyway doable?

[hide]

1#

Transactions already planned will provide us with the information we need.

Organizations will have transactions
    • Taxes
    • Landing fees
    • Hangar fees
    • Jump Point fees
    • Fuel
    • Repairs
    • Upgrades
    • Purchasing new ships
    • Ship Lending
    • Loans (also for organizations).......

Everyone else will also have transactions.

~ Birth/death records – next of kin information
    ~ Medical history,tests, lab work,why should we just go after pre-scripted boundaries
    ~ Work history-including contracts, cargo manifest,fuel receipts, repair receipts, equipment receipts...
    ~ DOT-ship registration information,
    ~ Banking information,transaction history,
    ~ Communication history-phone, instant messaging...
    ~ Insurance information-number and type of ships, cargo insurance, items insured .
    ~ Travel information – jump gates, stations, ports, repair facilities.
    ~ Military service records.

If these activities had archives/histories that could be accessed and searched by law enforcement it could add considerable depth to the game.

By that I mean the advocacy, law-enforcement, military, bounty hunters, etc.
    I would think there would be a hierarchy of access rights provided to those who might want this information, beginning with the advocacy at one end and low level law enforcement at the other.

((Organize crime and other well-organized outlaws would have some similar abilities))

While the Empire would have a central repository, there would be a lag in its current most updated status.
    (whatever an empire would want to know would be in some repository or another, but there would be a lag getting it from the far-flung systems.)

Each star system-In system would be almost instantaneous access, depending on local protocol.
    (e.g. Local DOT/ship registration information of non-jump drive ships, local insurance, local police issues)
    Ports and stations probably would be real time. e.g. Fueling, docking fees, repair fees)

I know the creators (CR/CIG) intended to charge fees for various activities such as docking etc. and have insurance documentation, purchase histories , so why not keep a record/archive. It would grow rich as time passes.

Add to this online newspapers or e-magazines that not only have news articles (fiction and ideas and information pushed by Cloud imperium Games.), and articles screened by the publisher, produced by the players
    (poetry, art, ads, news).

And job wanted postings and personal message boards of the type in newspapers today that players could advertise and send cryptic messages to one another like spies do now

There could be a number of these based on player interest.
    Military
    Law enforcement
    Exploration
    Business
    Galactic green tab...

Printed daily and archived.

Yes? No? What do you think?

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and I welcome your feedback.

I understand this is not necessarily going to be at the start of the PU.

Thank you for taking time to look at this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Stuff like this is down the road, but definitely on our radar. Thanks!
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Another question:

Will we be allowed to buy in bulk and get bulk discounts? If not, then how are player merchants supposed to have a viable resale business?

With a living economy bulk or wholesale discounts make sense. They will most likely be dependant on your reputation and relationship with the supplier.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    CommKidd:
    [hide]

Hey there, I have a question related to crew members.

I saw that persistent crews is a possibility (that would be amazing), and I was wondering how paying them would work.
    1) Would we have to pay them the same wage as if we were actively using them, even if they're just lounging around our hangar, or
    2) Would they be free if they're "inactive" (possibly after an initial hiring fee?), or
    3) Would we pay a retainer every so often to keep them available for us when they're inactive?

Thanks guys, can't wait for it all to come together and see this whole thing in action!

Speculating on possibilities here but,

NPCs would be set up to either take on one shot jobs or sign on to contracts with the player. After the job or contract the player could opt to let the NPC go or renegotiate. The NPC may decide to leave on their own based on how the player treats them.

You'll have to pay them as long as they work for you or it's likely they'll just leave. If you want to keep them on retainer, a fee, timeline, and expectations would have to be established.

Once gone it seems logical that you'd be able to contact and re-hire an established NPC as long as you maintained a positive relationship.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi, and thanks for answering all these questions!

My question pertains to long distance travel. I'm worried about long boring hauls, where the game play is essentially 'point your nose towards your goal, engage the Quantum Drive, go do something else for the next 10-20 minutes'. Now, outside the chance that your travel get interrupted by pirates, are there any plans to build some kind of game play around this kind of thing? This is usually what gets me in other space sims. I don't mind realism if it is fun. But so far no one has gone beyond the situation described above, and it's dead boring.
    Even the long hauls can be fun with some imagination. Lots of stuff could go on during such flight. I'd much rather be actively playing those 10-20 minutes than watching what might as well be a screen saver.

Edit: As I would like to explore a bit, I imagine at least some part of that will be long hauls. Maybe some active, though limited scanning for points of interest during transit could be a possibility.

We certainly aim to keep things interesting even during the intermediary parts of travel. We'd like to have enough on your ship to do to keep you busy in the way of tasks, maintenance, and even entertainment. Other than that situations, ship hardware issues, attacks, discoveries, etc should keep travel interesting.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Ruinerr:
    [hide]

Zooce:
    [hide]

[hide]

Harbor_Master:
    [hide]

[hide]

I have a few questions about reputation and piracy

We are a couple of organisations that are working on an alliance.
    but we have dispute about piracy.

Can you guys tell me about what will happen to the org´s reputation and the reputation of the pirate if you commit piracy acts against a player or npc.
    What will the negative effects be?
    And does "spoils of war" counts as piracy?

have a great weekend =)

You'll become a criminal. Your organization will become known as a criminal organization. Any affiliated organizations will begin to be associated with and considered to be criminals the longer and more involved they are with the criminal organization.

Legit organizations that suffer a member going rogue and becoming a criminal will have to expel member, turn them in if possible, and work to repair the damage done to their reputation.
    That puts way too much power into the hands of players to grief an organization. Orgs shouldn't have to suffer penalties just because a member decides to "go rogue" and start pirating. The penalties should be restrictive to the member in question and not spill over into the Org.
    It's not a problem to the org. if by expelling the criminal they can get their rep. back - which is the way it could work.
    I hope in order to labeled a pirate that you have to take deliberate action to make it so. Random people will fly in front of you as you're attacking an enemy and get hit, so hopefully it's not all of a sudden, you're a criminal "for attacking a civilian," and then your org expels you.
    The topic of what exactly constitutes a crime or even just aggressive action has been and will continue to be heavily discussed. I can promise that the situation you describe is exactly what we'd like to avoid both in terms of griefers and accidents. Your public criminal reputation functions as a slider so no one action (unless it was extremely severe) should not shift someone into being considered a pirate.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Harbor_Master:
    [hide]

[hide]

I've no idea, if this is the right place to ask this, as there doesn't appear to be a panel where you can ask ship questions but here goes.

While I appreciate it won't happen before the PU goes live, is there any chance we will see the type of system fidelity to our ships as shown in Rogue System in the long run, possibly as payable DLC, so it dosnt put of those players who don't want this type of interaction. Personally I feel it would go a long long way to delivering the type of immersive experience Chris Roberts is talking about.

0.jpg

Cowboy10uk

I absolutely love this stuff! (Steel Battalion anyone?) I will definitely be advocating for having the option of full manual ship startups as will many here at CIG.
    Could the ship not have a "shutdown" and "sleep" function much like the windows OS? If you shut down or have a brand new ship you have to go through a full start up, but if you just put the ship to "sleep" you don't have to go through the whole process every time you leave a landing zone?

Edit: I like the idea of being ABLE to go through an involved start up, but not necessarily being REQUIRED to go through it every time.
    Oh, for sure! It would have to be optional. Even the first time we'd probably always have a quick start button for pilots that just don't want to mess with the manual startup. We don't want players to have to go through a bunch of stuff they aren't interested in. I like to have as many options and features as possible for those that want them.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Edited: by Deus_Ex_Nox
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Ooh! How about a secret start sequence like in Mad Max: Fury Road to prevent thieves from getting very far?

That would be a totally awesome way to deter theft! Very cool idea.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Do you have plans to develop some kind of in-fiction drug? Like Skooma in the Elder Scrolls universe? Maybe even allow players to grow their own controversial substance in their ships, only to either use or sell to someone else in, say, the shady alley on ArcCorp?

Popular drugs:

Stims: Legal drug, composed of various combinations of tobacco, caffeine, and mood-enhancer. Smoked as a cigarette. Cheaper, knock-off brands are sold as packs of individual smokes while higher-end versions have electronic cylinders with replaceable cartridges.

SLAM: A fear-inhibitor and painkiller. Most commonly ingested as a gas. Vials of SLAM are cracked and inhaled. Initially gained popularity as a steroid for athletes before going black-market. Heavy-duty SLAMjunkies are easily identifiable in public; they have ‘the shakes’ — involuntary muscle twitches. Important to note that this is not a sign of withdrawal, simply a side effect.

WiDoW: Thick ink-black Opiate. Exclusively injected as a liquid. Extensive use stains the veins black, creating web-like subcutaneous patterns through the body.

Neon: Club drug. Similar to Ecstacy. Slight hallucinogenic, affects the nervous system.

Color: Street name for a tranquilizer and knock-out hallucinogen, believed to be Xi’An in origin. Looks like flakes of bark. It’s lethal in heavy concentrations (many who try injecting it die immediately); it’s meant to be ingested. The digestion process distills it to where it just messes you up. Getting ‘colored’ is like taking a massive journey into your own mind. To the outside world, you’re nearly comatose, but to you, it’s a wild trip. A handful of religions have been started after a user took a dip in color. Aside from the toxic element, there’s a chance you won’t come down from the high. They call this ‘getting disconnected.’ Users stay locked in their own head until their brain decays.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

@Harbor_Master

LOST IN SPACE game content...........

A while back, I posted a thread in the Game Ideas Forum which can be found here.....

Considering that the goal, at least to my understanding, is to have, in the end, a "Living and Breathing Universe" that players could feel as an "immersive" environment to dig themselves into, and considering that we are talking here of an environment nonetheless as the "Space Universe" with all that it should mean, I think that adding in Design game content which it would occasionally have players get "LOST IN SPACE" into some Star Systems disconnected from the general Star Map (i.e. not accessible at free will but only out of a random chance when exiting a Jump Point but perhaps connected as an "isolated" cluster or clusters in between them but still as a cluster totally separated from the general Star Map.....), as well as having their Navigational instrumentation lay dead, not functional due to energy spikes or else encountered when crossing the Jump Point wormhole..... would be very important to add that feeling of a vast, huge Space Universe were people can indeed get LOST without any chance to call over friends to help them out and having to only deal with their own resources at hand at the time that they got LOST IN SPACE......

A special game content where the player experiencing the LOST IN SPACE experience will not be able to just call over friends to help as they would have no way to voluntarily access those "LOST IN SPACE" Star Systems because, by Design, they can only be accessed randomly, when spawning out of a Jump Point crossing....

And once in those LOST IN SPACE special Star Systems, players, not having their navigational instrumentation any longer working, should proceed with caution to learn what those Star Systems are all about, who lives in them, where they can get refueling, restocking and repairs done, Star Systems disconnected from the general Star Map with friends and foes in them alike, all unknown and all to be discovered, on one's own, alone.......

Also, these "special" LOST IN SPACE Star Systems, disconnected from the Star Map, should change in their "set up" every once in a while so that players could not "pass the word" among them about where to go to and what to avoid to make it easier to play into them.

And players should need to find their "way out" of those "LOST IN SPACE" Star Systems by investigating and interacting with NPCs to get clues as to where that "one way out only" Jump Point that allows to return to the "known World", the general Star Map where everyone plays into, is located.... perhaps even need to have to make good friendship with the "right" NPC (which it would involve finding him/her first....) by "doing or saying the right things" when interacting with such special NPCs so as to have them "accompany" the "lost in space player" to the exact place where that "one way out" Jump Point to the general Star Map is located......

It should be a truly, really LOST IN SPACE game content experience.

Can we hope to see such a thing in Star Citizen ?

I think it would add a great deal to the immersion into a "Living and Breathing Universe".

I do not think there can be a true "Space Universe" without the chance to experience getting LOST IN SPACE, without being able to call in help from friends, and thus have to necessarily only rely on one's own resources at hand......

Is such a Design something you are considering to add ?

Fantastic post with a lot of cool ideas. A lot of this still is definitely within the scope of the goal.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Harbor_Master:
    [hide]

[hide]

Can you guys tell me about what will happen to the org´s reputation and the reputation of the pirate if you commit piracy acts against a player or npc.

have a great weekend =)

You'll become a criminal. Your organization will become known as a criminal organization. Any affiliated organizations will begin to be associated with and considered to be criminals the longer and more involved they are with the criminal organization.

Legit organizations that suffer a member going rogue and becoming a criminal will have to expel member, turn them in if possible, and work to repair the damage done to their reputation.
    In our org we had a discussion on this very topic and came up with some follow up questions:

Is the reputation tied to the character or the account?
    How are affiliates handled?
    Us being a faith, will this be the same for us? In a faith you will have folks from all walks of life ;)
    It makes more sense to tie reputation to player accounts to avoid abuse of the system. As mentioned before your organizations reputation will be based on the actions of those involved. Being a faith doesn't shield wrongdoers from besmirching your group.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Have you guys looked at the semi-procedural technology that was used for Star Wars Galaxies? There was a blog by one of the developers that described it (can't seem to find it now). In order to fit the "massive" (16km^2) maps on to CDs they had to get creative and use a system that didn't actually store the maps, but rather the math for the maps. It was described as thus:

A seed for a specific type of terrain (sand, jungle trees, temperate forest, mountains, valleys, etc.) was attached to a radius value and a location value. This allowed the level designer to set and see the terrain, overlap circles to create the size and shape of the terrain and its features in a rapid designed manner, while still leveraging the advantages of procedural generation.

I was wondering if you'd heard of that, or thought of using a semi-procedural system to build out the planets down the road.

Procedural generation is definitely being considered. With the sheer number of systems, planets, and locations it makes the most sense.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hex_Kodo:
    [hide]

Megan over in the Art thread suggested I post this here, so here it is:

In the Empire Report segment of Atv 59, there was a bit called "The Cognoto Controversy" about a Banksy-style graffiti artist tagging ships. I thought it might be cool for some of you artists to whip up area-specific graffiti tags players could find sprayed on their ships after leaving them parked somewhere outside their own hangers.

The player would have the option of getting the tag removed, of course - except that as in the Empire Report segment, some of these could actually be worth a lot of money. Plus, some players might get a kick out of gradually accumulating all kinds of graffiti art on their ships over time, especially if it was location-specific. For example, tags picked up in Cathcart might look very different from those you'd typically find in Terra.

Do you think this kind of thing might be possible?

I'd love to see this. It would certainly be a ways down the road, but such a cool idea.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Marvelouspirate:
    [hide]

Will we have a dig sites, which we can grab some resources to make materials to ships and such?

Looking to build some nukes, Skullface? Such a lust for materials!

In response: Yes, there will be mining sites and resource gathering locations.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Design_ATX:
    [hide]

[hide]

Harbor_Master:
    [hide]

[hide]

have a great weekend =)

In our org we had a discussion on this very topic and came up with some follow up questions:

Is the reputation tied to the character or the account?
    How are affiliates handled?
    Us being a faith, will this be the same for us? In a faith you will have folks from all walks of life ;)
    It makes more sense to tie reputation to player accounts to avoid abuse of the system. As mentioned before your organizations reputation will be based on the actions of those involved. Being a faith doesn't shield wrongdoers from besmirching your group.
    Could you clarify for me please? If you tie in rep with a player's account would that mean if I use 2 separate packages and one character slot is an upstanding UEE citizen and I use the other character slot as lowlife wanted pirate how would that work? Would they affect each other? Could other players find out that my account has the dread pirate Roberts in it? Just wondering ?
    What I mean is we will do all we can to avoid opportunities for the system to be exploited or abused. If one character builds a reputation as a criminal and then creates a new character, that character isn't going to be marked a criminal as well. However creating a legit character and using them as a front for your criminal character is only going to get you so far as associating with any criminal characters will build criminal reputation. So, yes you can have a legit character and a pirate on the same account, but trying to exploit the system will end with both of them being criminals.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hello Devs,
    I'm wondering if there will be a micro-gravity generator in each multicrew-ship? Without this kind of generator the spacemen must have always walk with their magnetic boots and the little gadgets and dishes are flying around the cabins. Only the cargo will be save. Are there any plans to integrate these kind of generators? And if so, when wil that happens?

Artificial gravity will definitely be a thing on all the multicrew ships. Even some of the much smaller ships like the Mustang Beta will have to have it for the living quarters to function properly.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    RepulsiveHunter:
    [hide]

Hey, I've got a question. I've seen how Star Citizen will be constructed of many Space Stations and different things like that. But I've heard this question been asked before but I do not remember it being truly answered. And that question is, will it be possible for an Organization or a person alone to take over a Space Station, buy it, or claim one? I know that the design into must not be complete, because there are many other matters that should be looked at right now and that's like FPS or 2.0. But if you have the chance please answer my question. But then my question also has a theory. If we can own stations, or if not. Will we be able to destroy them? With the same type of visual effects and damage stats as of a ship?

Certain stations will be capturable. If they'll be destructible or not hasn't been locked down, but it seems likely due to balance issues.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

You guys have gone above and beyond regarding what a player can do in the PU. Thank you! My question is: How much of an influence can a player have on the politics of the Star Citizen Universe? For example, can I become a politician and help enact policies that affect humanity? Or can I be a diplomat and bring about peace between factions, even species? Or even run for president/dictator?! ... Well maybe not that far, because that would be way too much power for any one person.

While not initially something we can focus on, allowing players to run as politicians has definitely been discussed. The amount of influence you'd have would have to fit within the game balance, but in the future it could definitely become a possibility.
  • Deus_Ex_Nox

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Will the crew size for the Retailiator change dependent on the modules installed? My friends, who'll be playing this game with me , will number from five to seven and since the original Retailiator had a crew of eight maybe a future explorer module could make it a crew of eight. We are interested with exploring the cosmos (with some good old fps and dog fighting on the side). Though I suppose we could take two ships to explore together. How feasible is that? Something like the Andromeda and the Freelancer Dur teaming up to explore the unknown together. After all, safety in numbers.

I'd like to emphasize that crew size is not an absolute. It's the suggested number of personnel needed to maintain full functionality of a particular ship. You'll be able to have more onboard if you choose to.
  • Shypindive

Posted:
    Edited: by Shypindive
    Posted:
    Edited:
    @Design_ATX

I have a question. When you look at some of the more medium-larger sized ships. The all have sections, rooms, and doors. I've heard in the past that the doors can be locked by let's say the captain/ship owner. Then the permission of who can access that door is limited to whom the Captain/Ship Owner decides to allow. Is this true, and can more information about it's functionality and design be shared with the rest of the Community?

I also believe that, in some ATV or Star Citizen video. There was a comment saying from one of the developers that this system is already intact and being used in the Retaliator.
    Soaring through the depths of space, waiting for prey to pass by. Only to then sweep down and overcome them.
  • aviphysics

Posted:
    Edited: by aviphysics
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Design_ATX:
    [hide]

[hide]

Will the crew size for the Retailiator change dependent on the modules installed? My friends, who'll be playing this game with me , will number from five to seven and since the original Retailiator had a crew of eight maybe a future explorer module could make it a crew of eight. We are interested with exploring the cosmos (with some good old fps and dog fighting on the side). Though I suppose we could take two ships to explore together. How feasible is that? Something like the Andromeda and the Freelancer Dur teaming up to explore the unknown together. After all, safety in numbers.

I'd like to emphasize that crew size is not an absolute. It's the suggested number of personnel needed to maintain full functionality of a particular ship. You'll be able to have more onboard if you choose to.
    The Freelancer has two side turrets and a rear turret. There also appear to be 4 terminals up front (pilot, co-pilot and the two rear seats with control panels.) Is this an indication that this and maybe other ships will benefit from more than the currently listed crew sizes? It really seems like at least the Freelancer has things for at least 4 people to do (e.g. all three turrets + piloting + engineering.)

I am also wondering if missile control will be assignable to a separate seat from the pilot, and whether a missile operator would be able to lock onto targets that are not in front of the ship. Seems especially relevant for the Freelancer MIS, but also for other larger multi crew ships that might have a difficult time keeping agile fighters in front.
  • Drewscifer

Posted:
    Posted:
    @Design_ATX

But..... the Retaliator only has 6 escape pods. Is this going to be an instance of fudged immersion or would one of the crewmen / crew women / player die should the ship be destroyed and your ship has more than 6 people on board?

Mental note: Never buy a ticket for a trip on a retaliator (kidding...... maybe)
This discussion has been closed.