Wingman's Hangar Forum Feedback Transcripts (New Version)

Hysteria

Posted:
Edited:
Posted: -
jPIMKSl.png

Formerly Gazanimal was doing this service, but he disappeared after a vicious corporate take over that went bad... for him.
So now I head up the transcriptions to share the information that is contained in each weeks Forum Feedback section on Wingman's Hangar.
This is a community service for information consolidation and as a resource for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Enjoy!

Episode List

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19
Episode 20
Episode 21
Episode 22
Episode 23
Episode 24
Episode 25
Episode 26
Episode 27
Episode 28
Episode 29
Episode 30
Episode 31
Episode 32
Episode 33
Episode 34
Episode 35
Episode 36
Episode 37
Episode 38
Episode 39
Episode 40

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

Every attempt has been made to be as accurate as possible with these transcriptions but there may be errors in the process.
    Replies to some questions may also be out of date and later documents may have superseded these answers.
    We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 1

Question 1 - Chat Roll

Wanting more information about the 300i?

Answer 1 - Wingman

I can't really say too much about what's going on, but perhaps, there might be today, something to be excited about. And maybe if you guys play nice we might be able to sneak peek a little something on the screen.

Question 2 - Chat Roll

Mike , what will your role be at Cloud Imperium?

Answer 2 - Mike Morlan

My job is making sure everybody on our team has everything they need in order to not get blocked with their particular tasks. Make sure we stay on task, meet our milestones, so I'm talking like a Project Manager right now, so that is what Eric is having me do. Eric and I kind of stand back to back, he's kind of looking up & out, seeing that the way is clear ahead for us and I'm the one looking down and in making sure our team has everything they need.

Answer 2 - WingMan

And not to mention Michael has for the last 6 years been making feature films, so he'll be taking this broadcast and editing it down for a 2-3 minute teaser for the people that didn't get to see this broadcast. This is a kind of secret audience because you guys knew about this first but our goal is to hopefully grow this and have some interesting bits going forward to show you guys some stuff and advertise it a little more. This is kind of Alpha/Pre-Alpha.

Question 3 - Pleasure

With regards the dog-tags I sent you, I would really love to see them in the Subscriber store? So that not everyone can get them, just suscribers 'cos I think it's something special and it'd be awesome if we could get official ones in the Subscriber Store?

Answer 3 - Wingman

That's a very good question as I actually showed your stuff to Chris yesterday and I was talking to Chris and Sandi and we were all really impressed and we're going to reach out to you because the stuff you did was really hot and we may want to do something with you in that regards.

Question 4 - Tulak

Did something leak about a possible pre-Alpha garage where you can view your ships?

Answer 4 - WingMan

(Cough) (Noise) Sorry you're breaking up there! Sorry you're not coming in clear. (Cough) (Noise)

I think Chris mentioned something about that. I have yet to follow that up. It's definitely possible & I think it'd be kinda cool. If Chris said that it's coming, then my job just got harder. THANKS CHRIS!
    But that's OK, it just means rearranging some of the content and they way we do things. Because the way we're making the game with everybody, the audience, to get you guys involved it's important to get stuff out to show what the progress is. Something like a written document really isn't that interesting, but seeing something visual, seeing your ship in your hangar, being able to walk around it, mess around with the hard points is pretty cool. It gives an idea of where we're going.

Question 5 - Farnon

You and Ben were in the Chat the other day talking about the Star Citizen Cards and whether you might delay them or not, I was just wondering if you did delay them if you had an ETA on when they might be sent out?

Answer 5 - WingMan

That's a little above my pay grade & what I mean is that's a question for Sandi to answer as she's handling all that. I know we were trying to get them out by Christmas but we couldn't get them all sorted due to the Kickstarter integration and we wanted to do just one run, but I shouldn't imagine that they'd be too much longer.

Question 6 - Farnon

The topic came up the other day about content creators and if you guys decided to adapt something like that into the final version of the game? I know Valve does a profit sharing kind of thing. Is this something that you guys have talked about?

Answer 6 - WingMan

That's still up in the air as to how we're going to handle that. I know we've got a Mod program that's going to be put in place after we've shipped where you can create Mods and submit them to us and if it's good enough we'll run it through tests. We do plan to have exactly what you're talking about, a profit-sharing scheme but we have to find out the legalities because we can have people in Japan, people in Germany, Russia, the US. We got to figure out how we handle that. In the original game I don't think there's going to be anything like that in the regular world, but in the Mod world certainly there will be.
    At least that's my understanding but it's subject to change.

Question 7 - Eidolonius

Do you have anything going on the economy side yet?

Answer 7 - WingMan

We know the basics of what the economy is going to look like, but we haven't even started building it yet. We've got a lot of things to work out on that and we may look at bringing an Economist on to help us out with that.

Question 8 - From Chat Roll (Name Unknown)

How is death handled in the game?

Answer 8 - WingMan

We are actually talking about this right now. I'd appreciate it if you put up a post in the forums about that very thing. We're thinking there's a couple of different ways of doing it. We might have death where there's resurrection, but there's only so many times you can be resurrected and then your ship and all your stuff goes down to your son or daughter or we let you be resurrected with weaker body parts. But there's all kind of things that we're talking about, but that would be a great forum topic.

Question 9 - From Chat Roll (Name Unknown)

How will the bounty placing and retrieving work?

Answer 9 - WingMan

Once you do the bounty it's going to be up in a certain area and bounty hunters will be able to accept that mission in a Comm-Link and then chase after you. In PvE where it will be server managed or PvP where certain people will have bounties on them and they'll be able to pay their way out of them

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

Every attempt has been made to be as accurate as possible with these transcriptions but there may be errors in the process.
    Replies to some questions may also be out of date and later documents may have superseded these answers.
    We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 2

Question 1 - From TCFenua

If I have a pirate ship and want to fly it in the UEE system will I be shot to death by Military Police or is it based on my Reputation? (He wants to buy a Cutlass but he's not interested in becoming a Pirate)

Answer 1 - Ben Lesnick

Anyone can buy a Cutlass, that's not going to be a defining factor, it's all Reputation system. So you can fly a Cutlass you can explore with it, you can legal bounty hunter missions with it. Other players might at you as scabs, as the fiction is that this company Drake, creates these ships that everybody knows are for Pirates. They're legitimate business men but everyone knows they are making these ships for pirates, but other players may look at you as scabs, but they'll be able to scan you and se you're a good citizen.

Answer 1 - WingMan

They'll know you by your rep not necessarily by your ship, because half the fun is that it's all about your personality. You want any ship you want then we'll support that.

Answer 1 - Ben Lesnick

I think we'll be seeing lots of pirates with Constellations, you don't have to have a Cutlass.

Question 2 - MCGrunt

Will the special add-ons for the Retaliator, Starfarer, Corvette and Vanduul fighter become available for those who pledged through Kickstarter?

Answer 2 - Ben Lesnick

They will, yes. For the special stuff during kickstarter we're working on an update to the site that will let you go in and assign that money where it was supposed to go. It's coming, don't worry, we're working on it.

Question 3 - Creaz

When can we expect to get the Engineering guide for ship requirements/specifications for Star Citizen so we can submit our models for when the time comes?

Answer 3 - Ben Lesnick

I know you're not going to want to hear this but it's going to be much closer to launch. we're still figuring out our own rules for how the ships are going to work. We are going to make sure we get that information out to you as early as it's possible to do so but it's months or at least a year away

Answer 3 - WingMan

We're creating a whole rule set, we're creating the entire pipe-line for putting the art into the game. Even though we've got this really bad-*** demo, it is just a demo. We've still got the whole rule-set of the universe to create so bare with us.

Question 4 - Toast

So how do we like our new digs? Nice to see David Ladyman come on board as Jump Point editor, any other fond names from the gaming industry history coming on board that you'd like to work with?

Answer 4 - WingMan

So first of all David Ladyman was a huge coup for us. We worked together at Origin and he is amazing. You saw the first edition of Jump Point and he's come on board as the Editor and he'll be responsible for creating that every month for our Subscribers. There's a lot more stuff to be announced for the Subscribers, we're working on that now. It's a balance as we want to make sure we support everybody that's supported us to this point but was also want to give something a little special to Subscribers as they're giving a little extra for a little more acces than everyone else. That doesn't mean that people won't get access as they will, such as WingMan's Hangar will always be available to everyone 'cos this is something we like to do to keep the community updated.
    As for more industry vets, I'm talking to a lot of people right now, I'm in charge of the hiring for the company right now and being that we're in Austin there's a lot of interest in working on the project and there's a lot of interest from our side in some of the talent we worked with at Origin and Digital Anvil. We keep picking the right talent, we are very chemistry orientated in here. I've always found that if people like each other and people work well in an environment it creates an nice maelstrom of work-flow that allows you to have magic. What you want to avoid is somebody that is so dominant or so over-the-top that you can't get anything done.
    We're currently talking to four ex-Origin-ites & if I have my way at least two of them will be coming on board.

Question 5 - Salconarloc

Will you be able to hire NPC's as crew members, or will there just be on board AI?

Answer 5 - Ben Lesnick

Yes, NPC as crew members & you'll see a guy in the extra seats, rather than just a computer control it.

Answer 5 - WingMan

Just to emphasize that, there are going to be NPC's that are smarter than others, just like people. So you'll be able to hire better pilots & there'll be a rating system in there for the NPC's. It'll cost you more for an Ace.

Question 6 - Alicatt

On your last Hangar broadcast you mentioned about coming over to Germany in February are there any more details and is it a public event?

Answer 6 - WingMan

I can't give you any more details on it but we are going to Germany to go to Crytek to take a look. We've got a couple of Crytek people that have come on board and we're going to Crytek for some serious boot camp training with our lead programmers and stuff. Is it public? Maybe, we haven't really thought about it but maybe we can make it some sort of get-together & have some beers..

Question 7 - Slasher54

Will you be sharing any design docs, concept art for the big ship classes, or will we have to wait until game release?

Answer 7 - Ben Lesnick

I think you'll be seeing something. Maybe not immediately but you're definitely going to see some bigger ships in the coming months.

Answer 7 - WingMan

Just so you know, we are doing all the concept stuff now & we don't like to release something too early as you saw how the Freelancer got release and people said it looked like a giant penis and they were not happy, but it was just a work in progress. We got to make sure that when we release something that people understand where it is in the development process, what's coming up & we're releasing it to get feedback.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 2 continued...

Question 8 - From ChaosGriffin

We all know CIG has made custom skins with a way to change them at a flip of a switch. Is CIG planning on allowing custom made player skins & decals to be uploaded into the persistent universe. Will players be able to change primary, secondary and tertiary patterns/colours on the ships?

Answer 8 - Ben Lesnick

Short answer is Yes, but we don't know to what extent yet. We don't want a universe where everyone is going around in bright pink space ships kind of taking you out of it (immersion). But we definitely want to give you the option of customising everything as your ship is your Avatar so we want it to represent you. We're looking at how to do nose-art, custom skins.

Answer 8 - WingMan

At some point there's going to have to be an approval process it'd have to go through as we don't want vulgar skins. The original Half-Life allowed players to spray naked ladies on the wall and while I enjoyed that, my wife didn't and I'm certain my kids wouldn't either. There could be a situation where we could make it so your custom skins are only seen by your own server.

Question 9 - NetAndy

Will the special add-ons for the Retaliator, Starfarer, Corvette and Vanduul fighter become available for those who pledged through Kickstarter?

Answer 9 - Ben Lesnick

The winners do not know yet. As you may have read today in the update, the Kickstarter integration has been going slowly. We've got 7,500 people who have still not clicked on their links to integrate their accounts and we still want to give them a chance to enter the name of the people who referred them. we'll be picking the winner on Monday and announcing it on Wednesday.

Question 10 - Lagman

How do you know the Mod Tools can't be used as Cheat Tools?

Answer 10 - Ben Lesnick

Modding only applies to servers you set up, you can't just go and mod the persistent universe. We are coming up with a process where people can submit mods and we'll consider adding them to the main universe but that's a long approval process.

Answer 10 - WingMan

We're looking at a lot of things like that so if someone makes a mod or a ship, then maybe we'll find some way of allowin them to sell it in our universe, splitting the profits with you guys. We've got to check the legalities of that and see if it works.

Question 11 - Chat Roll (Name Unknown)

So how do we like our new digs? Nice to see David Ladyman come on board as Jump Point editor, any other fond names from the gaming industry history coming on board that you'd like to work with?

Answer 11 - Ben Lesnick

If you registered before November 26th 2012, you'll get all the same things if you upgrade or buy another pledge right now. If you registered after that you will get just what is currently offered on the website.

Question 12 - Chat Roll (Name Unknown)

Will you be able to hire NPC's as crew members, or will there just be on board AI?

Answer 12 - Wingman

The answer is Yes. Chris has been very specific that he wants Newtonian physics. The idea is some of the turrets will have missiles and locks and stuff of that nature (which you can upgrade your ship to get)

Question 13 - Chat Roll (Name Unknown)

Regarding Star Citizen cards?

Answer 13 - WingMan

Sandi's making the run on those, we're just waiting on the rest of the Kickstarter people to link their accounts. Once they've linked we'll have all the Star Citizen cards and we can run them trough and we're only making one run, this is a one time only deal. Star Citizen cards are not available for purchase, they're for early backers only. It's kind of like the Golden Ticket, if you were lucky enough to find us before we announced it then you got a Golden Ticket.
    There will be other cool stuff popping up for contest winner and stuff like that going forward.

Question 14 - Chat Roll (Name Unknown)

Will it be possible to get an official poll about our Citizen Card delivery dates and people that still haven't linked (accounts) want to increase their pledges significantly, but need time?

Answer 7 - Ben Lesnick

There's going to be a cut off but it's going to be in the near future. The have to do the actual production run and then cut it off at some point..

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 3

Question 1 - Forum Trending Topic

Everyone wants to know what the Aurora is going to look like.?

Answer 1 - Wingman

We do too! We aren't ready to show you what the Aurora is going to look like just yet but it's in development right now. First we go to the concept stage, then the 3D modelling stage and as we get to that point where we are happy with what we've got then we'll show it to you.
    We think a lot of players are going to fall in love with their starter ships and probably not want to change as we intend for the Aurora to be bad-to-the-bone.

Question 2 - Forum Trending Topic

Subscriptions?

Answer 2 - Wingman

A lot of people are talking about subscriptions. People are enjoying the new Vault feature, especially the two videos in the subscriptions that show how the Constellation loads cargo.
    Now a point about the Subscriptions. The Subscription roll-out allows us to do more stuff, it allows us to have staff to put these things together professionally where they look really, really good. And they (Subscribers) get first crack at it 'cos they're the ones paying for it, but those things will all eventually trickle down to the forums and everybody else that has pledged. What it's allowing us to do is put more creative content out to you guys in a professional manner which is a big deal and really good.
    It allows us to have a Producer for this show too.
    So that's how Subscriptions are going to work. There's a good forum post by Chris that explains why we're doing it and what went on. It was basically asked for by you guys it explains it a lot better than I can do.

Question 3 - Forum Trending Topic

Self-destruct - Should players be able to blow up their ships and what impact will that have on the game?

Answer 3 - Wingman

You know I like to blow stuff up but we're still deciding whether we're going to allow that mechanic but I think the trend right now is Yes. We just have to figure out how to basically make it balanced with people being able to capture ships versus being able to lay traps. It's just a mechanic that needs to be worked out on paper first and then designed so it works correctly in the game play.

Question 4 - Forum Trending Topic

What are the rotors on the front of those ships? What are they for and can we lose them?

Answer 4 - WingMan

The rotors are hydrogen ram-scoops. They allow you to fly around and scoop hydrogen which re-fuels the ship. You can read more about them in the Ships Document on the RSI website. You'll be able to updgrade those, maybe you want bigger fans. Who doesn't!

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 4

Question 1 - From Okegima

You talked a bit about boarding ship. Early in the product process, can you explain a bit more and especially, does the fight will a bit like Planetside 2, BattleField 3 (first person shooting) or like Star Trek Online (third person shooting & point to fight)?

Answer 1 - Chris Roberts

The ship to ship boarding, and also actually there will be first person combat aboard the persistent areas in space that would be like an asteroid base or star base. But it will be 1st person. Pretty much when you are flying you will be in 1st person.
    Think of it as a 1st person shooter, but it's going to be a lot more tactical than say a lot of current day military 1st person shooters. Mainly because this isn't call of duty. You're not blasting through 50 or 60 sort of stupid AI that you get to blow up in various different ways. You will probably be on a smaller ship or bigger ship maybe there will be a crew of 10 or 20 people. You can even try and take over a constellation that only has a crew of 4 so that would be a pretty quick battle. So there will be an emphasis more on the sort of tactics.
    Also it's obviously more terminal if you get killed or clipped while you're trying to board. It's not like you respawn and go right in again. That's why it's more tactical. You'll have to be careful about what you're doing and you don't necessarily want to go in guns blazing because that could be a very short boarding action.

Question 2 - Genius

Do you know anything about space stations in game? Will we be able to dock there manually? Fully explore them?

Answer 2 - Chris Roberts

We have 2 persistent areas that would be in space. One the more stationary ones like a space station or asteroid base. And the big capital ships are also persistent areas, but they are movable. So there will be space stations, you will dock with them, you will move around in them in 1st person. You will actually be able to interact in them and get missions and hear rumors. They have some of the features you get planetside, but aren't as safe.

Question 3 - Interitus

Wingman is there actually any advantage to using the Freelancer as a mercantile ship? Ignoring costs, if the Constellation is better across the board, why consider the Freelancer?

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

I'm not necessarily sure the Constellation is better across the board. Probably is if you are running the Constellation and you have your friends and are running at maximum efficiency I think you're going to be pretty formidable. But in a lot of cases, maybe, if you're just flying around solo and doing your own stuff, Freelancer you can probably operate more efficiently, may not require as much fuel, so you have advantages with it. There are pros and cons.
    The Constellation is going to obviously be very formidable. Even if you fly it yourself, you have the ability to have auto turrets and everything else, but you probably aren't operating at maximum efficiency because you can't necessarily fly it yourself and fly the P52 yourself. Versus the freelancer, isn't quite as big as the Con, so in some ways can potentially be more manoeuvrable, and on a running cost-basis may burn less fuel as it moves around. So there are pros and cons either way. I would rather not necessarily come up against either one of them. That's part of the balancing we're going to do during the dogfighting.

Answer 3 - Wingman

Plus it depends on the upgrades you put into it too. Just because you see a certain ship you don't know what they have with lasers and turrets.

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

Absolutely. Upgrades make a big difference between ships. If you set up a freelancer a certain way and set up constellation another way, there could be a big mismatch. There's hopefully a lot for people to play and tweak, and have fun.

Answer 3 - Wingman

Customization

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

Yeah

Question 4 - Zlinga

I bought the M50 simply because its focus was being a(n) (Interceptor /)Racer. There have mostly only been speculations on the forums about racing, but not many hard facts from the team. Could you tell us a bit about your plans for racing in Star Citizen?

Answer 4 - Chris Roberts

Yeah, we've actually been talking about that. It's something pretty easy for us to do. We actually want to do kind of in-game things to let people bet against each other. We will have in-game racing.

Answer 4 - Wingman

Kind of like gladiatorial areas, racing areas, you know, fun things to do.

Answer 4 - Chris Roberts

The whole point of customization. We want a whole subculture of people showing up with hotrod ships, with go-faster stripes and spoilers on the back.

Question 5 - Fronkpost 424

How are you going to balance the guns on a class I port against those in a class II? Especially since a class II can swivel and get better aim which would kind of make a class I obsolete. If the game is all about skill aren't class II too powerful?

Answer 5 - Chris Roberts

I wouldn't necessarily say so. First of all, you will probably be able to mount a heavier duty, harder-hitting gun on a class 1 because you don't have to counter the fact that you have a swivel mount.

Answer 5 - WingMan

So kind of like old artillery maybe from world war II.

Answer 5 - Chris Roberts

Maybe like a big heavy rail gun or a heavier energy gun. I would say there will be a fair amount of class II stuff too because that's like modern military weapons. You have the ability to have, say like in the Apache helicopter, your minigun you can target with your helmet. But there are definitely trades and balances. On a class I you can probably mount a heavier duty weapon. It sort of also depends on what play style
    you like.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 4 continued...

Question 6 - From ChaosGriffin

CIG's clarification on ships Engines. Plenty of threads regarding them. Basically Are Engines the power plants of the whole ship or are they tied to the thrusters. Or even are they the thrusters. Stuff like that.

Answer 6 - Chris Roberts

The best way to think of engines, it is the power plant of the ship. So that is generating the power. That can be a fusion engine; it can be an anti-matter engine. And its generating the power for the shields, generating the power for your life support, your avionics, your weapons, and it’s also generating power to be expelling the fuel you’ve stored to move around and that gets expelled through your thrusters. And that’s where you would be fueling up with say Hydrogen or something. So the power plant does all that, so that’s really what the engine is

Question 7 - Flashback

Is the Aurora currently being developed or is another ship in the pipeline first? When do I get to see my Aurora?

Answer 7 - Chris Roberts

It is absolutely being developed. It is the thing Ryan Church is working on right now. We’re getting pretty close to doing a brochure like we did on the constellation. Hopefully you guys will really dig it

Question 8 - Journeyman

Any hope for a Mantis cameo in Star Citizen? No space epic without space bugs, eh?

Answer 8 - Chris Roberts

I don’t know.

Question 9 - DarthAngelus

In Freelancer, during a multiplayer game, if you landed on a planet or docked with a station, you would never actually see other players who were in the bars etc. Will it be the same for Star Citizen or will we actually be able to interact with other players?

Answer 9 - Chris Roberts

Absolutely. That’s a core part of what we’re doing. So when you are down on the bars, you will be able to see other players and NPC characters and have conversations with them. We’ve got some clever ways we’re thinking about how we will handle the case if there are too many players in the space bar for us to render at one time. We have some cool ways in dealing with that. But you will definitely get to see the other players.

Answer 9 - Wingman

Especially your friends

Answer 9 - Chris Roberts

Definitely your friends. It will use the same sort of set up we’ve talked about in instancing in terms of having a friends list, persons of interest, and members in your guild, potential enemies. We sort of have a priority of how many people we can fit in and we put them in, and if there are people beyond that we have a four square check-in system where you can search for someone and see if they’ve checked into the space bar and then when you search for them they will come back into one of the slots and you will see someone back in the crowd.

Transcribed by Paewen

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 5

Question 1 - From Bassleo

When the game launches, will there be some changes in the new war with the Xi´an?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Yeah dude, I mean essentially with the hundred or so systems out there we are literally gonna have wars breaking out, conflicts breaking out. Things are gonna happen fictionally all the time.Chris has always said that we're not gonna be doing just one giant update like other MMO's are doing, but rather we're gonna do regional conflicts, lots of 'em, micro-updates every month or so, so expect a lot of things like that to be happening.

Question 2 - From Veeyarn

Will Sandi make an appearance in the game as an NPC?

Answer 2 - Wingman

You dirty,dirty little boy. YES! Of course we're going to put Sandi in there, man she's hot! We'll gonna throw her in, she's the resident marketing guru here at Cloud Imperium. She should be in the game. If you guys want her..... you got her.

Question 3 - From Hasenpfeffer

I want to see what PC Chris Roberts uses?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Chris uses. He built his own machine so he went to NewEgg, put the thing together, has all the greatest graphics cards, everything in there. What we'll do is we'll post that up in a post-show deal where we'll talk about exactly the specs we have, rather than hear me "bleugh, bleugh, bleugh" about what they are. We'll put 'em up on the post-show update where you guys can see exactly what the specs are.
    He really has a bad-to-the-bone rig I'm telling ya (pfft). It's sweet. And he put it together himself, so Chris is a man of many talents.

Question 4 - From Starkiller24444

Star Citizen seems to be aiming for realism in is game play style.
    Would this mean that a fighter would be able to kamikaze into say the Bengal Carrier's bridge and destroy/disable it in one shot?

Answer 4 - WingMan

Maybe. I mean that's gonna have to be done in balance where we take, erm, it's gonna depend on the shields, it's gonna depend on the armour that's in your craft. There's a lot things that are still to be balanced, and fortunately for us, you guys can help us with that. I mean a lot of those things gotta be worked out you know. It could be that that happens like "Torra! Torra! Torra!" or like Midway (explosion sound) right and knock out the carrier or it could be that you don't do much damage at all.
    That's gonna depend on us, it's gonna depend on you, it's gonna depend on the balance of the game and honestly every decision we make, has to depend on whether it's fun, so think about, we're gonna think about it, you guys are gonna help us and we'll figure up that as we go.

Question 5 - From Interitus

Is exploration really a viable means to make money? After all jump points are discovered will there still be places and items that can be discovered and exploited for explorers?

Answer 5 - WingMan

Yes. (Laugh) There's gonna be tonnes of stuff. We haven't figure out. We're gonna have like a hundred systems from the get-go but maybe we don't, maybe only 25 are known, maybe 30 are known and we're gonna constantly, constantly be adding systems and things to discover, places to do, things like that.
    So an explorer is gonna have plenty of chances to get out there and make a little money, discover those jump points. Maybe systems have secret jump points, maybe some systems are connected in a straight line, maybe like in a wrinkle in time we fold 'em together and you actually connect systems on the backside.
    So there will be plenty of opportunities out there for Explorers to make money.

Question 6 - Community Question

And now Ladies & Gentlemen I think we have to address the number 1 hot button topic in the forums - Permadeath

Answer 6 - WingMan

(Well hey everybody, WingMan's dead. I'm WingMan's next-of-kin and I've inherited all his junk.)
    Guys, regarding Permadeath, here's the situation. Sometimes when you're making a game, we create these idea, we put them out there and then we have to run them through the process to see how it all works. So with this death mechanic you guys just caught a small snippet of what Chris is wanting to do but you haven't caught nearly the full breadth of what we're gonna do in regards to this. So more will come out on that, we'll get more updated as we go.

I think most of the topics, most of the people that have been thinking these things are gonna work that way are not accurate because it's gonna be fun. I promise you it's gonna be fun. Don't worry, trust us. Look for an update on how that's run and try not to like, take little snippets and extrapolate out how things are gonna work. Be a little patient, trust us we've done this before. This is not our first Rodeo.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 6

Question 1 - From Hotspur

The Hornet is described as 'not designed for long runs' . Will it be able to perform a jump, will it have a jump drive?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Yeah dude c'mon. What good would the game be if you couldn't have a jump drive. Every ship out there's gonna have a jump drive but what will happen is a lot of your capabilities will depend upon how you've outfitted your ship. So, YES is the answer to your question, a good solid yes.

Question 2 - From Patrioten

Will all weaponry be ammo based? So you cant have energy based weapons?

Answer 2 - Wingman

No, you kidding me. We'll have energy based weapons, we'll have ballistic based weapons, we'll have missiles (well ballistic & missles I guess are the same thing).
    So anyway the point is we'll have hard missiles, bullets, all kinds of crap out there that you can do and they'll all do different damage-types so they'll all different effects on the different hulls & ships so again it comes down to how you customise your ship to make it work ya know so Yes is the answer to your question, it will have lots of different types of ammo

Question 3 - From Wizard99

In late December the RSI website announced that it would be restructured to create a closed Backer/Pledger/Subscriber area on the website?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Yeah that's still coming. We are planning to do, that but what we've decided to do is we're building the website from scratch. What that means is that the first website we had up, you guys overwhelmed it. You crashed here, you crashed Reddit so we needed a more vibrant, better website. So a lot of the upgrades that people are waiting on are coming but they're being done by our web company in Montreal. We're hoping to have it up in late March, early April where it's going to be one big switch on.

Question 4 - From Lioc

Any dog-fighting planned for the middle of a nebula (like in an atmosphere)?

Answer 4 - Wingman

Dude, really it's just space. It's gonna be one big black box, no stars, no planets, there's no dog-fighting it's just one big turning battle. C'mon man, of course there's nebulas. If you think of nebulas, if you think of asteroid fields, you know space has terrain. It all has terrain. We're absolutely going to have battles in nebulas.
    Maybe the nebula will knock out your shields, maybe some nebula will speed you up, some slow you down. There's gonna be all kinds of different variables in space. Basically that is our terrain and there's going to be benefits to that. Some ships will be better in those areas than others, some you'll be able to drag people into nebulas like Khan ("Where are you Kirk" - Star Trek - Wraith of Khan reference).
    So yes, that will be happening.

Question 5 - Dolnor

What kind of eats are around the new office? Who leaves the office for lunch/dinner?

Answer 5 - Wingman

Wow. We actually have a really cool office space in downtown Austin, really close to the University of Texas and so we have all kinds of places around here. We have the Dog n Duck, which is a local pub about a block and a half away. Clay Pit is where we go for Indian food. We have Thunder Cloud Subs, Subway, Jimmy-Johns, El-mecado for the Mexican/American food. Texas Chilli Parlour for good chilli. So basically we all go out, we basically go out every day , sometimes we all go out together, sometimes there's groups of four and five that trickle out. But, yeah eating food around here is obviously not a problem (WingMan rubs his ample girth).
    And not to mention you guys are sending us gift certificates.

Question 6 - From d0mcat

Leg or breast?

Answer 6 - Wingman

Well that's a really good question d0mcat. I'm a dark meat kinda guy, so I prefer the thighs and the legs. In fact I go to Popeye's Chicken a lot for the thigh and leg combo. I get the spicy version with the little bitter red beans and rice so that's my favourite so, legs and thighs for me thank you.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 7

Question 1 - From MySoy

Since the game was announced has the plans and thoughts on character customization changed and expanded?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Yeah I mean absolutely. Everything's expanded as we go. Some of the stuff, we read the forums all the time, you guys inspire us some stuff. Obviously we've got some ideas on how we want to do it. Customisation is a big, big part our universe from the characters themselves to more importantly, the main characters are the ships. So the customisations on the ships are going to be immense. So look for more detail on that too.

Question 2 - From Eidolonius

What colour is the captains chair in the Constellation? And more importantly is it going to be naugahyde or real leather?

Answer 2 - Wingman

Probably should be answered in how much money you make in the economy! The truth of the matter is, I'll let you in on a little secret. We are a crowd-funded project so it won't be naugahyde, it won't be leather, we're going with Pleather! We gotta keep things cheap around here!

Question 3 - From Travists

Regarding the economy, mining was indicated early on and with a recent Spectrum Dispatch, hinted at player owned factories.How much impact will the players have on the economy?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Well Travists the honest answer to that is that we want the players to actually drive the economy. Everything you do, supply/demand. If we do this correctly which is what we're designing, it's going to be very vibrant so you know there might be health shortages on one planet over here which generate missions that people need to bring medicine there. There might be a war going on over here, so they need more ammunition. So we'd like the economy to be vibrant & driven by players.
    We'll have some Game Masters in there that'll put some stuff in here and there to make it work but as much player driven stuff as we can do we're gonna do it. And again, you guys are gonna be helping us going forward when we release the alpha and the beta, so you'll have a lot of input there.

Question 4 - From AllGamer

Would it be possible to include a match-making PVP option within the persistent universe?

Answer 4 - Wingman

Yeah, why not. We're talking about having jousting tournaments or things of that nature where people can go in there and battle each other in an arena and maybe other people can bet on who's gonna win and test things out. Yeah that's something that we're absolutely talking about right now.

Question 5 - knightoftheyang

So when the personal hangar comes out, will we have the flight training simulation computer like in Wing Commander?

Answer 5 - Wingman

If you've seen any of the old Chris Roberts or any of the games I've made, Starlancer with Chris as well, the Simulator has always been a big portion or a big part of those games. So I think you can look to the past and extrapolate that to the future. Cryptic answer but not one hard to decipher.

Question 6 - From ScottAlly

Can ships carry additional passengers? For example, in addition to the four standard crew members, can the Constellation carry a boarding party of six naked Space Marines and a blow up dolly?

Answer 6 - Wingman

Errr... blow up dolly's could be cargo.
    We're working on that mechanic now, we don't know whether that's gonna be something that you have in your ship or wether we control that with AI troop transport for boarding parties. We do know Boarding's gonna be a big part of the game, but how that actually works is still To Be Determined.

Question 7 - From Logante

Although combat may have an effect on your physical body, your prowess, ability and such will Non-combat situations also affect you, such as being able to go into a nebula, let's say that may have some bad effects, per say, on one's health?

Answer 7 - Wingman

Space is a very dangerous place so we will have some missions that you have to be very wary of where you're going. If that means it adversely affects your body, well that means it adversely affects your body. I mean if you go into a nebula and it knocks out your shields & slowly deteriorates ship..."Hey Baby" that's just the way it is. That's the risk/reward you're gonna take. Maybe the reward is really good, so probably is the answer to that question.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 8

Question 1 - From Smuhtst

What are you guys planning to do with all the extra money, pouring in the last days?Any new planets, spaceports or ships?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Well dude no we're buying margaritas. We're all partying, we just got nothing but pizza's, beer coming out. Of course there's gonna be new stuff, c'mon man. More money means more game. We'll put more bigger, more stuff we do, the more we get, the more you guys get in the end product. But it also means that we have to raise less from investors, so we get to keep more control of the product, more control of the game which is very,very good too. We all know what it's like when we have very little control of the product you end up with you know, can't offend anyone style games and we want to be an edgy game, that's what we all deserve.

Question 2 - From AllGamer

Is there any plan to incorporate the "Letter of Marque" for legit Privateering (A.K.A. Licensed Pirates) in StarCitizen, just as there are licensed Bounty Hunters killers in UEE space?

Answer 2 - Wingman

Wow, that's cool dude, nice work. Of course it's possible. Privateers are usually something a government creates in response to a particular crisis and in our living universe you can bet the UEE will be facing a variety of upheavels in the future. And if you want to make a "Letter of the Marque" for a bounty hunter on somebody else, why not! So yes.

Question 3 - From Raiderfootball11

When will the Star Citizen team be releasing information about the other races in the universe besides the Xi'An?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Well I can tell you this you're gonna be learning a lot about the Vanduul very,very soon so watch the Comm-Links. Lot of stuff coming up about them, introducing and releasing stuff about the races as we go. So pay attention folks, it's coming soon.

Question 4 - From DrHawk

How is weapons range going to be handled in Star Citizen? Magically disappear at X range or keep going as far as the game engine allows?

Answer 4 - Wingman

To answer your question, it's probably going to be handled like it is in a lot of other games, where you can't have projectiles going on & on forever until they hit something in the universe. However, the engine has to calcualte and keep track of all that stuff so could you imagine a battle of a hundred ships with all projectile weapons and they all missed their target or you shoot a thousand rounds, so now you've go a hundred people shooting a thousand rounds it'd just get to be a mess and it'd chug the engine. So if it misses and it goes off a little way it's just gonna disappear, just like regular stuff. Maybe the energy weapons will just fade away. That's just the way it is, it may not be accurate in the real world or in the universe but it is in the constraints that we have in the game engine.

Question 5 - ScottAllyn

Will I be able to invite other players into my Hangar Module?

Answer 5 - Wingman

Yeah, of course you're gonna have other people in the hangar, but no blow up dollies!

Question 6 - From Rebuc

When will there be an update to the Ships Document? It doesn't have to be as detailed as what's in the Jump Point, but the current document is quite out dated and doesn't reflect the latest information. By the way, are you wearing any pants behind that desk?

Answer 6 - Wingman

An update on the Ships Document. We're working on the Galactipedia and the idea here is that we're going to be updating the website and when the website is updated a lot of that stuff will come to you. We'll have more next week with our guest Zane Bien, he's gonna explain where we are at with website. We're doing a total re-design so when that happens we'll get more to you.
    As for me wearing pants.... of course not. Pfft... pants....pants.... yeah I'm wearing pants.

Question 7 - From Logante

I understand that ship customisation is supposed to be paramount, but my question is, what kind of customisation are we looking for in our weapons and armour and things such as that, such as boarding party activity. What kind of options do we have for actual first person combat?

Answer 7 - Wingman

So many, many types of customisation. Bling on the uniform, helmet updgrades, armour upgrades, things that will matter. In Death of a Spaceman, Chris talks about getting ejected out of your cockpits, so there's lots of things that will stop the damage to you as you get ejected that will protect you. So those are all things that you're gonna have like spacesuits, armour, things like that.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 9

Question 1 - From Akkarol

I have a question regarding the Industrial aspect of the game. How is your take on companies and corporations? How will we manage them and what features are we going to see in it? Also will it possible to establish offices on either ships or planets?

Answer 1 - Chris Roberts

Yes it will be possible to establish an office on another planet. We're still working out the whole aspect of factories but we are going to allow people at some point to be able to own them, manufacture goods, buy goods, hire people and sell them (Selling people? - WingMan |Well it depends where you are - Chris Roberts) and have a store front, so yes you will be able to do that.

Question 2 - TheTrueLost

Is there a chance that alien wrecks contain some kind of unknown monsters?

Answer 2 - Chris Roberts

I think that probably could be a chance, so we'll see. It's a suprise, so an Easter Egg in the game.

Question 3 - DarthAngelus

When ships that have to be captured, like the carrier or asteroid bases, will they be vulnerable when the players who control them are all offline?

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

Yes, they are going to be vulnerable if it's the big ships. So the concept is, there are certain areas in the Persistent Universe that are always at risk, typically an asteroid base thats has pirates on which you might want to hang out on as it's a great place to stage raids, maybe a star base, but also the bigger Capital ships can never go down on the planet. When you're on the planet you're sort of safe, when you're out in space your're not safe. So if you want to keep your Bengal Carrier safe from other people you've got a couple of options.
    One, probably take it to an area of space that is fairly safe, like deep into UEE space or make sure you've had some NPC's protect it, you'll also be able to have auto turrets or make sure you have people in your Squadron or Clan that are guarding around the clock. The whole point is we definitely need to have territory that people have to fight over and because this is a persistent world, we can't just put it away and only bring it out occassionally, so that's the sort of the upside and the downside of having something as cool as a Bengal carrier.

Question 4 - Hartsblade

What is the current stance on NPC wingmen in the persistent game?

Answer 4 - Chris Roberts

You will definitely be able to hire NPC wingmen to fly missions for you so you'll be able to hire NPC crewmen on your bigger ships and you'll be able to hire NPC Wingmen to fly on your wing. The system is going to work in such as way that you'll say "I need someone to fly escort for me" and it can be a player or it can be an NPC. You can probably specify wether you prefer an NPC or a player but the system is the same missions system/acquisition system is the same. We're sort of thinking of it like a Craig's List job board so to speak.

Answer 4 - Wingman

So NPC's you can have there'll be rankings right? Some NPC's will be better than others?

Answer 4 - Chris Roberts

Oh definitely, the 2 Credit NPC is not as good as the 200 Credit NPC.

Question 5 - AwesoneAD

I took a bullet to the knee, now I'm gonna have to retire and pass on my goods to my next of kin. Will I be able to do this or will I actually have to die?

Answer 5 - Chris Roberts

So yeah, I think if you want to actually retire and pass your goods onto your successor then why not. There's no difference, particularly on our side for the code to support a "I want to retire" button because we still have to support it for when you get ultimately killed down the road. So we can definitely do that.

Question 6 - Makimera

Every pilot needs somewhere to park, rearm, refuel and most importantly change ships. How will this work in Star Citizen? Will I be able to land on any planet and change my ship or will I have to go to a certain planet to get a ship I left there?

Answer 6 - Chris Roberts

So basically everybody's going to have their base hangar and that's where they'll keep, if they have multiple ships, they can keep their ships and that is going to be set to one planet. That won't actually stop you, in the game, leasing or renting another hangar on another planet where you can also store stuff but the hangar you get with your initial ship you have that once, it's not like it propogates onto every single planet where you can drop a ship off. If you've got four ships in your base hangar and you're on the other side of the galaxy and you want to get one of your ships that you're not flying then you have to go back to your base. But like I said there's nothing gonna stop you in the game later on essentially leasing a hangar on another planet & storing some stuff there.
    Everyone has sort of one home base that they'll pick. Ok, this is where I'm gonna be and leave their ships there and if they want to move their base somewhere else they'll have to lease some hangar space somewhere else and then move their ships there.

Answer 6 - Wingman

Maybe you could lease another ship there, if a mission pops up, could you lease one from an NPC or another player?

Answer 6 - Chris Roberts

I don't know. We haven't got into ship rentals so maybe there's a whole possibility of partnering with Hertz (grin) . Typically you have to buy your ship to be flying it, but we'll have to see but it's stuff that we'll be working on as we go forward.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 9 continued...

Question 7 - From T.C. McQueen

Quick question about the sound effects in Star Citizen, in particular in the vacuum of space will it be realistic and there be no sound effects at all? Or will it be more like Star Wars or Star Trek with lots of pews and pews and booms?

Answer 7 - Chris Roberts

Yeah, there's volume switch on your computer. (jokes)
    Actually I don't know. It's an interesting question, we sort of treat the sound, we have interior sounds, exterior sounds that's already set in the engine right now. So thinking about it, potentially (I'm not gonna promise it) but that would actually be an option. I think the default is going to be like Star Wars or Star Trek where you have all the "pew-pew" but it may not be actually that difficult to have realistic space sound button on it, I won't promise it yet. I think our audio, the way it's set up it should be fairly simple to do, but we'll definitely investigate that. I think the fantasy of Star Citizen is in the more Star Wars/Star Trek mode. That's the sort of vibe and the feel we're going for.
    After all our space combat is not realistic as space combat will probably be in the future, but it's a hell of alot more fun 'cos who wants to target your enemy on a computer and see whether you've blown them up a thousand miles away, you'd much rather shoot them down dog-fight style

Question 8 - razorzerax

Chris Roberts talks about ships fly-by-wire system in the GDC 2012 panel. Is it possible to have 6-degrees of freedom data transmitted to an API so we can take those signals and send them on to a custom motion software that controls the movement of the platform?

Answer 8 - Chris Roberts

Again that's something that I can't sort of promise right now, but it's definitely something we're interested in. My sort of goal would be to build a dream Star Citizen setup which includes a 6-degree axis of motion seat, have the Occulus Rift on your head, sitting there with your joystick and if we get that built towards the end and we're going round GamesCon or PAX we could have that cool setup that everyone can come in, show their Star Citizen card for entrance, to get to play it in the cool virtual reality setup.
    So that's definitely on our RnD level and research. the good thing is the CryEngine itself has a lot of support for all this kind of stuff already built into it. There's a lot, not necessarily well known, of CryEngine work happens on Military stuff, especially military stuff in Europe so all that stuff is supported already.

Question 9 - ThsIsWhtHpns

Once I finish my tour of duty and become a Citizen is there anything I can do to earn a "friendly" status with alien races considered to be enemies of the UEE? If so, would this allow me to enter enemy space without being attacked, let me land on enemy planets, or trade with aliens that other Citizens can't?

Answer 9 - Chris Roberts

We're going to have a complicated relationship and reputation system between various factions, which include all the different alien races as well as the different branches of the UEE government, the Merchants Guild, the Mercenaries Guild etc. On races that are more hostile to humanity, if you start to trade with them and do things and get your relationship to them on a neutral or positive zone then you'll maybe be able to do some trading with them that you wouldn't do by default. I'm not too sure I can promise you that'll you do too much with the Vanduul, as generally they're very hostile with humanity but definitely with the Xi'an. the Banu tend to be neutral or positive anyway, but you'll definitely be able to affect your relationships and interactions with various factions by your ongoing interactions with them that will enable you to do deals with them or not do deals with them.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 10

Question 1 - From Chapple

Will we be able to enlist in the UEEN after SQ42 and in the persistent universe? If so, will we have full crews, have commanding officers (real people) and receive assignments like a real military force?

Answer 1 - Wingman

There's no system like that where you can stay in the military, but we are going to let you join militia forces if your reputation is perhaps high enough. If you're the lawful-good character then you'll be able to get some missions to go out and chase some bounty hunters through the UEE. But we feel if you played a military officer and you constantly taking orders in the universe it might get kinda boring and we want the free flow of a sandbox. We want you to have control over where you go, what you're gonna do, things like that and there might be other campaigns in the future because war is always good so we need wars popping up every now & then.

Question 2 - From Rebuc

During a mining operation what kinds of materials will we expect to see? I'm thinking fossils from long dead civilisations or alien artifacts ?

Answer 2 - Wingman

Dude, of course, mining's not gonna be about grabbing everything off the periodic table, there's gonna be all kinds of things to find out there. Lot of things that'll enhance things in the game, missiles, weaponry stuff like that. There'll be people looking for specific types of things that are only found in certain systems. So mining's going to be much more interesting than just going off and dropping off a mining droid and grabbing some iron ore. So yes, lots of stuff to discover. What that is well you'll just have to wait and see.

Question 3 - From HermitBoy

UEE Strategic Value - when will we get to find out what the colour codes mean?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Yeah, they are super important & super classified.

Question 4 - From BlueDragon

There are those of us who like to, in games, like recording fights and explosions. Will there be any in-game recording system, like in Medal of Honor, at least for Privateers?

Answer 4 - Wingman

We have actually talked about that quite a bit whether we're gonna have some sort of recording system in there. We'd like to but again it comes down to time and things like that and there are third party applications like FRAPS out there that let you do those things already. Maybe it's something we'd do later or maybe partner with somebody. It's one of those To Be Determined questions but we certainly know it's cool that you guys like to record stuff, we like to record stuff 'cos that's how we roll baby.

Question 5 - Fal

If I discover a new system, can I NOT report the jump point, thereby keeping the system to myself or guild for mining/trading/staging-area, until someone else finds it?

Answer 5 - Wingman

Yes, that's one of the cool things. So if you find a secret mining area and it's got some specific minerals or things that are needed in a certain area, you can certainly keep it to yourself, you can share it with your friends, you do not have to report it. However, if someone else finds it and they report it and you haven't, they get to name it. So that's gonna be up to you to decide what you want to do,it's the risk you take. Are you gonna be greedy or are you gonna be famous? It's up to you.

Question 6 - From razorzerax

There is a big event on virtual reality coming next week, SXSW 2013. At the panel "Virtual Reality: The Holy Grail of Gaming". Those who participate are Chris Roberts, Cliff Bleszinski, Nate Mitchell, Palmer Luckey and Paul Bettner. My question is. Will there be a live broadcast of this event?

Answer 6 - Wingman

We're not sure if they're showing it live, we don't control that, that's South By South-West but we are going to be at the show recording a lot of video ourselves. In fact, Wingmans Hangar might actually be taking place at South By South-West with a little bit of a walk-around perhaps and some talking to people, see if they know about us. If they don't know about us... THEN THEY DAMN WELL SHOULD!

Question 7 - From Alexterminador

Are we going to reveal new ships only in Jump Point?

Answer 7 - Wingman

No, the way it's gonna work is, sometimes we might but for the most part Ships get revealed to the general community and they will have brochures and everything like that for everybody but in Jump Point we'll show you how they were made, show you a little more in-depth stuff but you'll never be meeting the ship for the 1st time in a Jump Point, we'll just reveal those ships in a brochure format. It seems you guys like it and again Subscribers allow us to do those kind of things, those brochures. Without them we couldn't have the extra manpower to put those things out.

Question 8 - From Lauski

I have a question for you regarding the economy of the game. In the real world, if Eric was running a car dealership and sold you a car for 100,000 credits, you know that by driving the car off the lot you know you suddenly have a car worth less than what you bought it for. That's because of a magically property we tend not to favour when making a purchase called `Used`.
    It may seem like a bummer but without it the world fails to go round and strange things can happen? Item decay, Credit sinks, Intrinsic Loss of Value, Reasons to not Re-Sell or lack of these thing will mean ship makers will make fewer ships. Crafters won't have as strong a need to craft & miners won't have much reason to mine. Cloud Imperium are you aware of these issues at large & can you share any mechanisms you intend to deploy at this time?

Answer 8 - Wingman

To answer your question would require more than I can actually say right now, so let's just say that we are thinking along similar lines. You might be somewhat accurate, you'll just have to wait and see. There might be something that gets written up later like "Death of a Spaceman".

Question 9 - From Zyr666

What is the electro hull skin? What can we do with it?

Answer 9 - Wingman

The electro hull is a device that lets you switch colours at the flip of a switch, so you can change your ships colour instantly. Someone's looking at you from a distance or is chasing you down and it automatically makes you look different, so it's kind of a little bit like camouflage.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 10 Continued...

Question 10 - From Broseephus

What is the approximate size of the game?

Answer 10 - Wingman

Way too early to know that, but we have no minimum requirements and it's going to be as big as it needs to be to get everything we all want in the game. So HUGE probably..

Question 11 - From Logante

I was curious about how the achievement system might be working. How would we be able to show off our achievements, per say, such as badges, ribbons and medals. Whether it be GM events, or Squadron 42 campaign. How are we going to be able to show off our goods that we've gotten. Previous games had a kind of room that you could visit or is it just going to be like an online profile page and such like that?

Answer 11 - Wingman

We're gonna have ways of seeing how your achievements, what you've done, what your reputation is, things like that. One of the ways we'll do it is like in your Hangar perhaps. Invite your friends over, see what's going on, see all the tapestries around the corners, or the medals or the stuff on your ship. All the stuff that's going on you'll be able to brag about it.
    At the same time if you see someone out in space and you highlight on them, there'll be ways to click and see what they've done, what their lore is, what their history is. But there will also be ways that they maybe don't want to share but will be able to mask it. It's gonna be up to you guys to discern how your gameplay works in that regards and maybe, just maybe if you're on of those Militia with access to the UEE stuff you might have more information than others... maybe....maybe not.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 11

Question 1 - Secretes

Will the Idris Corvette have an internal hangar and will it be able to accommodate 4 or 5 fighters? Will you be able to use it as a mobile docking bay? How big is the Corvette going to be?

Answer 1 - Chris Roberts

Yes, the Idris Corvette has fighters, it's going to have between 2 and 3, we 100% determined yet, but the difference between this and the Constellation is that it will be able to have the single-seater fighters you can pledge for. So you'll be able to have two Hornets in it, or two 300i's or an M50. It won't be able to have any of the bigger ones that are multi-person, but you'll be able to have jump capable fighters in it which is different to the Constellation which has a very short range fighter. So that will give the Idris a pretty big advantage, plus it has a fair amount of offensive & defensive weaponry which we'll be sharing with you in the not to distant future. It's gonna be a very cool ship.

Question 2 - Manic

How will multiple characters on the same account work? (Will we even be able to have multiple characters?) Will there be any sharing of assets or will I need to buy a separate ship for each account? My piratey alter ego awaits news of his Cutlass (and his existence, yarr!)

Answer 2 - Chris Roberts

This isn't something that haven't fully decided or fleshed out yet on how we're going to set this up. We kinda acknowledge that even if you said you can't can't have multiple characters, then people would just have multiple accounts anyway so I'm a big fan of making it as easy or frictionless for people why put up official barriers that people will try and circumvent.
    The one thing I can't answer is how things will be handled on the big server backend as those are the sort of details that we are working through.When we were doing the year of prototyping, we were working on how the space combat will work on the backend server not the more boring stuff, this stuff is what we're working on now and is high up on the list. We'll try to make it as easy as possible to have fun but I don't know if we'll allow people to share assets between your characters, but we're certainly not going to put these artificial road blocks in the way.

Answer 2 - Wingman

Wouldn't it be something that we might write up & put out as something like "Death of a Spaceman"?

Answer 2 - Chris Roberts

Yes, definitely. That's part of the process and it's one of the nice things about expanding the team here is it just actually takes a lot of time communicate everything, besides doing the actual work & design and having more people, makes it easier to do that. I'm big on making the process really open for everyone in the community as it's just going end up making a better game, because we'll listen to everything & but not necessarily action on it because you have to stay consistent to one kind of vision.
    A lot of times where people bring up really good points that we may not have thought of. So it's actually making our job a lot easier as we're going down a lot of less dead ends than we would have done in a traditional way.

Question 3 - Hartsblade

I have a questions about the Kr'Thak and the Krell. There has been some discussion concerning the species mentioned in "News Update: The Kr'Thak" and the Krell mentioned during the Kickstarter "Krell System Unlock" announcement... Are they one in the same or two totally separate alien races?

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

I think essentially people got confused. The Krell system is where the Kr'Thak come from so that's where people got confused but maybe people called them the Krell as that's where they came from. But their proper name is the Kr'Thak

Question 4 - ZorfMorf

How extensive and detailed is the damage system for ships going to be? I know that it is possible to damage individual thrusters and modules, but how about the hull itself? Will a damaged ship experience hull breaches? Will there be things like fire in the ship itself, broken panels, open cables?

Answer 4 - Chris Roberts

Yes, even back in 1990 in Wing Commander 1 if your ship was getting shot up, you'd be in your cockpit, you'd have broken panels and sparks and wires exposed, so we're definitely doing that. Essentially, what I'm pretty keen on is having a sense of fidelity and the level of destruction so that different parts can get damaged, they can get destroyed, get broken off and also a sense of wear and tear on the ships. I want to see a ship that's been out there, that's been flying for a year and you can see that it's more worn than someone who's just bought a new ship off the assembly line.
    So even if they keep it in good shape, maybe it gets a little more chipped or rusty but you can maybe take it in to get a new paint job or something, but basically we'll try to do a lot of things that you see in real life where you can see if something's battle hardened or been around. The same thing we talked about in the characters, that sense of history and you can see someone's been through many battles.
    Hull breaches is definitely something that's on our list, we really want to make that work with decompression and everything but I can't promise 100% that it'll be in the initial game when we go live but it's on my list and I want to get it in.
    So we'll try, but if not it'll certainly be one of the features we'll bring online shortly after we go live as I think it's cool. You see it in every sci-fi movie so we need to get it in Star Citizen, so it's on our list of things to do.
    It's fairly easy to do inside CryEngine, other than the effects of the atmosphere and the stuff getting sucked out but the gravity and physics side of it is already supported.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 11 continued...

Question 5 - Hasenpfeffer

One thing that would liven up the game would be the ability to open up a communication channel with other ships, even enemy ships, just like you can in Wing Commander. This would be used by Pirates to negotiate terms to passing vessels, nearby players to form temporary alliances or simply issue a warning to a passer-by. Will it be possible to send a request to hail another ship in Star Citizen via VOIP?

Answer 5 - Chris Roberts

We're definitely going to have a communication system that's short range in space similar to the way Wing Commander and Privateer was where you can talk to people, taunt people etc. We'd like to get it working over VOIP but there are some moderation issues with that in a multiplayer environment but sometimes you can get around it by using some form of disclaimer that CIG has no control over the language that people use and you can turn people off.
    We'd definitely like to get it working as we recognise people will do it outside the system anyway, so it really will be just a matter of time and how soon it come in play. It's definitely in our game at some point, is it day one? I don't know. Certainly you'll be able to send message in chat and do everything else and we'll look at open source or some middle-ware solutions so it'll be easy to integrate. It's important as it adds to the immersion and is kinda cool.

Question 6 - shaolan67160

How is ship sharing with friends going to work??
    If a friend wants to borrow a ship does he have to send a request to the owner every time?
    Or can we "configure" our friends via friend list to let the game know?

Answer 6 - Chris Roberts

The ship sharing and friends right now, essentially beyond the fact that we're going to let you loan out your ship to a friend, we haven't fully gone through the system so I don't know whether it's going to be a matter of being able to gift the ship to your friend with a time limit or when they've finished playing with it, it automatically goes back to you.
    So some of those details have to be worked out but we don't want to programme the most intricate system for that 'cos of all the other things we've got to be doing as well, so we'll try to have something simple whether you give it out for some fixed period of time or you give it out until they dock again and it automatically returns to you or they have to bring it back to you.

Question 7 - prophet-driven

Why did CIG feel the need to create the Roberts Space Industries subsidiary to brand Star Citizen? Why not just market Star Citizen under CIG directly?

Answer 7 - Chris Roberts

RSI was originally conceived to be this fictional, future manufacturer of spaceships and the whole idea was to take you in to the world of Star Citizen, 800-900 years into the future and you're visiting the site of a future Boeing. But what happened was one of the web guys put Roberts Space Industries up as default as we hadn't come up with a name and like all these things it kind of made sense as I'd made space games before and it kind of tied in the brand.
    So it's really the company in the game in the future but obviously it's been front-facing for the game, us raising the money so at some point we decided we'd better incorporate it and make it a kind of subsidiary 'cos we've essentially built brand value in RSI over CIG. So the best way to think about it is RSI is the fictional future company and CIG is the actual real world company building that's building the stuff.
    We've trademarked RSI as it's not become a brand for the what we are doing.

Question 8 - TravisTS

A questions about the persistent universe. What kind of story line are we looking at? Is it a Privateer-style, fail-one-mission and you're done? Wing Commander web-of-missions? And also how many endings are we looking at? Is it just one-win/one-lose? Or choose-your-own-adventure style where you have dozens of endings?

Answer 8 - Chris Roberts

On the persistent universide side, in terms of storyline in the initial launch of the game Squadron 42 is going to be the bigger more involved one with the branching storyline and then when you get into the persistent universe there are going to be story threads but no big over-arching story ala say Privateer. We'll basically have a five missions thread on one side of the Galaxy and a three mission thread on another side of the Galaxy, two on another side, another over another side and it will be a more general sandbox environment where events are happening. Part of our plan is that we'll be changing and adjusting that as the game is live, adding more stuff in so it'll feel like an ongoing experience and it won't feel like it has a finite end, But we'll probably add once we're live some big more involved story-driven missions and they won't all be necessarily be military like Squadron 42 is.
    So there possibly could be a more Privateer-style or Freelancer-style story that's non-military sort of space entrepeneur. If you read any of the fiction that we're doing on the site, like the Tonya O'real story that we're doing right now is a pretty good example or the Kid Crimson we did before are examples of the more involved narrative stuff that will potentially be down the road.
    For the initial persistent universe release all our care and attention is on the Squadron 42 side and then there'll be flavour missions or scripted story stuff in addition to all the user-generated-style missions and the dynamic universe generated missions.

Question 9 - LightMonk

If missiles are being fired, can we visually see what type and weight class that missile is?

Answer 9 - Chris Roberts

Definitely.Currently in the prototype in the Hornet there was three different kinds of missiles. The Standard which goes back to the Wing Commander days, the Image Recognition missiles, a couple of heat-seeking missiles and there was a dumb-fire missile and they are all visually different. They have different weights, different velocities, turn-radius's and obviously different target acquisition characteristics. So all of that you'll be able to see visually so when somebody deploys their missile racks you'll see what kind of missiles they have. So in the game we're very much about what you see is what you get.

Question 10 - LordWeh

How will gravity be handled in spacecraft? Are they all assumed to have artificial gravity all the time, or can it fail?

Answer 10 - Chris Roberts

Generally most of the ships have artificial gravity in them but there will definitely be cases perhaps where you'll have a hull breach or something gets broken so in that case all of a sudden there'll be zero-G instead of one-G or near one-G which is kind of the default setup. Even in the prototype right now if you walk around on the carrier it's got artificial gravity from the moment you walk out the mouth of the hangar bay then all of a sudden you're in zero-G. It's king of already in the system so it's more of a matter of whether we turn it off or on as we control where the gravity is in area/boxes.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 12

Question 1 - pingtoohuy

What happens to a P52 pilot who gets left in system covering the escape of a Connie that just jumped out? Will they have enough fuel to fly back to a planet (assuming they evade or kill whoever was shooting them) and will it be a long boring trip?

Answer 1 - Wingman

If you get stuck out there in a P52... you're stuck. Unless of course there's a place for you to land or you can call in something like a nanny ship or call for some help. They're not made to be jumping around the galaxy, they are short ranged fighters

Question 2 - razorzerax

Is Star Citizen going to ignore the worlds oldest profession? Will there be strip clubs, brothels and prostitution in Star Citizen?

Answer 2 - Wingman

To kinda answer that question you have to look to the past. Look at Freelancer, Privateer and how they handled those kind of things, pretty much how we're going to handle that here. So without giving too much away you can extrapolate out yourself and the fans who haven't played those games, get out there and get those games 'cos they're certainly worth playing.

Question 3 - MPaalman

The Wing Commander series always had strong characters, I particulary remember walking around the TCS Victory talking to the fellow pilots and crew. They felt more alive that way and made me actually care for them. Will Squadron 42 also feature deep characters for your fellow pilots with their own stories?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Yeah of course. We're in the process of making those back stories for those characters and that's part of the Chris Roberts experience, the immersion, the detail. You want to feel you're part of something real and something going on. So absolutely we'll have some cool stories going on and those are going to pop up in the Star Citizen universe in later detail. You never know what might happen later on.

Question 4 - Lauski

Will the Kilrathi be in Star Citizen?

Answer 4 - Wingman

A kitty by any other name is still at Kitty, is it not?

Question 5 - TheTrueLost

Will there be a Wingman bobble head?

Answer 5 - Wingman

You know it's important, we have those bobbleheads in the universe. The question is, are the springs big enough to hold up the size of this cabeza? We're going to have all kinds of bobbleheads, we're still toying with how it's all gonna work with cockpit decorations but you can bet your bibbe there'll be WingMan in there somewhere.

Question 6 - BlueDragon

If someone disconnects in the middle of the battle will he suffer any punishment for using it as an escape

Answer 6 - Wingman

If someone disconnects in the middle of a battle, we're going to be tracking that so if someone becomes a serial-disconnecter then there will be punishments. We will meat out the punishment on those people. Perhaps the UEE will be putting some bounties out on them. We will absolutely be tracking them tying to gain from that system. We don't want it, you don't want it, nobody wants it, we're gonna sort that out. We'll have a system in place and that will probably have big announcement about how that works once we get it all locked down as to how that's going to handle.

Question 7 - Intelligentperspective

Will Star Citizen have a comm limitation depending on if you have to be within the same system to communicate, like a proximity requirement?

Answer 7 - Wingman

Yeah, course it will. We're not gonna let you talk across the galaxy, that's not the way it works. We're trying to be as realistic as possible while still maintaining the fact that it is a game and it's very important to us that the fun overrules everything else. So yeah, there'll be limitations on your comm-link but that doesn't mean there won't be people talking to each over Skype or other VOIP across the system, but as far as that goes, yes you'll be limited to your own system.

Question 8 - Kiviar

Will you be able to dock ships externally? Or will all docking be handled with internal hangars? If external docking is an option, what are largest ships we'll be able to do it. Will you be able to dock larger ships together to transfer goods and cargo. Will you be forced to use shuttles?

Answer 8 - Wingman

We don't really know how we're going to handle cap ships or larger ships docking with each other yet but we are looking into that. It's sort of one of those things To Be Determined (TBD) how it will all work. We again want to make sure gameplay rules again in this regards. We'll look to answers for that in the future so whether we allow the larger ships to dock with each other is still up in the air.

Question 9 - Forss

Are you allowed only a fixed number of fighters inside the carrier/corvette or is the limit set by how much you can squeeze the fighters together?

Answer 9 - Wingman

Somebody is wanting to play Fighter Tetris and squeeze as many of them in as possible. For balancing reasons and every other reason, yes there'll be a limit for both the carrier and any other ship that has fighters. You're not going to be able to gain the system by stacking them and playing Tetris with them. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk!

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 12 Continued...

Question 10 - Okegima

In the perma death Comm Link, Chris mentioned earning special prizes for discovering new systems, or killing a special NPC. Would my character be recognised by an NPC with a "Hey! You're the one who downed the leader of Roberts Pirates band?

Answer 10 - Wingman

That is exactly what we're going for. You're building a legend for your entire family not just your own character. If you're one of the few who kills a big NPC in the game it's always gonna stick with your persona or your family.

Question 11 - droz69

I would like to be able to export certain elements such as radar and other things onto secondary monitors that my MFD's would be hung onto.Will we be able to export certain elements of the game onto secondary monitors?

Answer 11 - Wingman

We have not decided how that's going to work, but we are just like you and we want to do stuff like that. So we want to support that, but depending upon when that support becomes available and when we're able to execute on that, we can't really say right now. Probably not on the first iteration but yeah we really want to support things like that.

Question 12 - Zombie01

How will looting and salvaging work? Will we tractor beam everything inside or can we go on a space walk and collect stuff?

Answer 12 - Wingman

Most of the salvaging is going to be done with a tractor beam much like some of the other games Chris has done in the past. However, we're going to have some derelicts out there that you're going to be able to get into, forage through and find special items out there. A little bit of both is the answer to that, but primarily anything you blow up is going to be tractored into your ship, if you have the room of course.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 13

Question 1 - Zakat

Where will a player's ship be when they are off-line? Dot hey remain in their hangar? If they are visible to other players, can they be stolen?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Yeah buddy if you park your ship out in the middle of space or somewhere in public then it's absolutely fair game for anybody. If it's in your hangar of course, it's always safe because it's always safe in the Hangar.

Question 2 - Rebuc

I'd like to talk about the current work load the development team has. Basically where is the current focus right now and how much time is spent on talking out the details, working through things and actually building for the game afterwards?

Answer 2 - Wingman

The programmers are programming, the designers are designing, the artists are atisting so everybody's working and we all get together and work on the larger, global picture overall and make sure there's no blocking points in any specific discipline. So yes the Dev team is working hard, everybody is doing their own thing and it works really well across all platforms or across all different locations.

Question 3 - OddGodd

Will we be able to purchase afterburners that affect thrusters, as opposed to only a ships main engines?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Of course you'll be able to purchase afterburners. Now whether they'll just be on the main engines or on the side hard points is still TBD. We want people to fight but we don't want someone to necessarily be jerking around the screen everywhere so it's going to be a game balance issue but you can bet your bibbe that some engines will have afterburners and some will not.

Question 4 - Hartsblade

With the announcement of five main branches of service in the UEE I was wondering if in the future there'd be add-ons for Squadron 42 allowing players to experience careers in the other branches before moving into the Persistent Universe?

Answer 4 - Wingman

Let's just say it's safe to assume that Squadron 42 is not the last Epic journey that you can take in the Star Citizen universe.

Question 5 - Dmgavin

I have a question for us mid age crisis gamers, will there be an in-game dating service, so that my lonely long-range exploration specialist may hook up with pirate ladies carrying serious booty?

Answer 5 - Wingman

Hooking up is not encouraged, blowing up is :)

Question 6 - Esmiol

When we hire NPC as crew for our multi-crew ships, is it only for one trip? Or is the NPC hire permanent? And have we to pay a salary to him every period of time? And can our NPC crew be killed during a fight if our ship gets damaged?

Answer 6 - Wingman

The way it's going to work with your NPC's, which we're still designing the thing really, is that you'll create a contract and it'll dictate how that pay is going to work, how long they'll stay with you, when they'll get paid, what they have to do and it has to be filed with the local government to where they enforce it if someone breaks that contract then it creates bounties on them.
    If they're helping you out and they get killed, you bet ya death is part of the game. That's right baby perma-death can happen.

Question 7 - Crisis

When I crashed my car I learned something. Insurance companies are cults of Satan. Will they be like this in Star Citizen as well?

Answer 7 - Wingman

Evil is as Evil does. So of course, insurance is like Satan.

Question 8 - Logante

How are we going to communicate to players, assuming that VOIP will not be an option as typically people use third party programmes anyway are we going to have our own personal visual avatars pop up and be able to utilize pre-determined voice comms with other players?

Answer 8 - Wingman

The comm system is going to work a lot like the Wing Commander or Privateer did. There's going to be hailing, so you can hail someone if you're not using VOIP and talk to them or give them commands or ask for pemission to land, things like that. It's going to be what youre familiar with from other Wing Commander and Privateer style games.

Question 9 - Kinshadow

The Cutlass description mentions a pocket destroyer? Is this a pirate capital ship of sorts? Any details you can share?

Answer 9 - Wingman

The way the Pocket Destroyer will work is it's just a smaller version of a Destroyer that'll be in the military that you'll be able to fight against. No secret there, just a type of military craft.

Question 10 - Dr.Hawk

I know it's a little early to tell but what kind of dirty tricks will I be able to pull in Star Citizen? How Sneaky can I get in Star Citizen? Will I have modules I can equip? Or can I turn off subsystems to achieve this?

Answer 10 - Wingman

Sneaking around and doing stuff like that is all part of war. Anything you think you can do in war, diversions, sneaking around, yes we will absolutely allow stuff like that to be going on. When it's going to be, you'll just have to wait to play to see.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 14

No Forum Feedback in this Episode

It's a review of the previous 13 shows as Wingman was away at GDC with Chris, Sandi and others from the Dev Team

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 15

Question 1 - slowreflex

Will you announce, in advance, which events you will be attending in the future? Then fans can make plans to attend as well?

Answer 1 - Wingman

We will absolutely be doing that. When we're hitting up a show or showing Star Citizen we'll announce it. We'll have things for Golden Ticket holders to attend, things for Pledgers to attend and we're trying to get some stuff for Gamescon this summer in Germany. Look for some announcement about that in the future.

Question 2 - Rebuc

Will ship sensors be similar to the rest of the components in how you can upgrade or tweak them for better performance?

Answer 2 - Wingman

We want to make the environment as interactive as possible, but that's one of the situations where we still have to design it. Right now we are knee deep in creating assets. How that's all gonna work, we'll probably release something on that much later once we've figured that out, but environmental interaction is key to good gameplay in my opinion. The more we can do in that regard the better whether that's Day One release or a little bit after that who knows, that's still to be determined.

Question 3 - Tharse

Will every weapon be named "laser" or will we see energy weapons based on different technologies?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Yeah, they're all gonna be called "laser". Nah, come on man, they're going to be Plasma, Neutron guns, Particle cannons it's all there, we're going to have tonnes of different weapons. I think we talked about this a couple of weeks ago, so no not everything is laser, there's even projectile weapons and missiles.

Question 4 - AnxiousConfusion

In many online games players tend to overcrowd gathering spots with an immersion breaking sea of players. Will there be docking limits or such to circumvent this?

Answer 4 - Wingman

Our server sharding system is being designed to keep a limit on how many people can be in a certain instance. How many that is, is still TBD and you guys are going to help us with that. You'll be helping to stress test the servers and the sharding system so we get the exact amount it can handle. We don't want a large frame rate (hit), 2,500 large ship mass going on unless the servers and machines can handle it. We're more WW2 Battle of Britain kinda dogfight flying, that's the size and scale you'll probably be seeing.

Question 5 - HermitBoy

How will the UEE and other groups respond to stolen carriers? Will the UEE attempt to recapture the carrier whenever they see it in UEE space?

Answer 5 - Wingman

Yeah, but they'll probably do more than that they'll probably try to blow it up. If your guild or whoever else is strong enough to hold carrier you are a tar-ghetto (target). Everybody is coming at you and coming at you hard and if you come into UEE space and you were that foolish enough.

Question 6 - Mera-Luna

Are there plans for in-game tools to manage clans and alliances?

Answer 6 - Wingman

Absolutely. There'll be ways to manage your friends, your clans, your guilds, whatever you want to call them. In fact there'll be some tools on the new website to help you keep track of things like that. Much more will be revealed as the website comes online.

Question 7 - Aerthes

Will there be Player housing?

Answer 7 - Wingman

Have you heard of the Hangar App? Or Hangar Module? Yes of course dude we're going to have player housing. The Hangar is your housing in Star Citizen, and if you want multiple hangars around the universe that's fine too and you can park ships all over the place. You bet there's gonna be player housing.

Question 8 - Rebuc

Will we be able to interact with the environment to create more imaginative deaths or will it be limited to a more straight forward mechanic of just being able to shoot people and ships?

Answer 8 - Wingman

Absolutely. There'll be tonnes & tonnes of upgrades and if you have upgrades to your Nav system and you computer system there is going to be counters to those upgrades. So you can be all-powerful or as stealthy as you wish. It's all up to you and we want to support your style of gameplay but how your customise your ship is all up to you.

Question 9 - Zombie

If you keep mining one planet it will be empty after some time? Wouldn't the entire universe be mined empty eventually? Or will there be counter measures to avoid this?

Answer 9 - Wingman

Let me think about that Zombie. The Earth is 4.6 billion years old and we still have lots of stuff left to mine here. So if Star Citizen gets to 5 billion years old we might, and I mean MIGHT, run out of stuff to mine. So I think we'll be ok there :)

Question 10 - Kinshadow

On the "Death of a Spaceman" post a while back you mentioned tractoring in ejected pilots and selling them off to slavers later, sounds like a great way to make a living. Do I need any special equipment for that like a slave pen for a cargo hold? Some sort of freezing mechanism for transporting the slaves or can I just get in there with my pledge cutlass and tractor beam and start slaving on day one?

Answer 10 - Wingman

Not sure you'll be able to make a living out of it, but slaves will certainly be a commodity in the game and slavers will be a commodity dealer on the shady side of things.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 16

Question 1 - Alicatt

Will recoil be modelled into the crossover weapons?

Answer 1 - Chris Roberts

Recoil is definitely modelled into all the weapons in our game. It's part of CryEngine so there's recoil functionality within the game. Recoil for ballistic weapons and potentially recoil for some of the energy weapons depending upon what kind of energy weapon it is.

Question 2 - JasonAlaska

Will we be able to customise primary and secondary ship colours in addition to selecting skin textures?

Answer 2 - Chris Roberts

We're working on the customisation aspects right now. The goal is to allow you to choose some base colours for the ships that you have as well as also place some decals and our big debate on the decal side is that we're definitely going to have some pre-done decals that we'll give you but the question is are we going to allow players to design their own decals which are cool but not questionable decals.

Question 3 - Kinshadow

In the `Spider` information it mentions a passcode that'll let you into certain platforms. Is that something I'll have to remember or will my ships computer remember that for me?

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

You'll get it like a key and then it'll be part of your Mobi-glass PDA, you're not going to have to remember all the pass codes.

Question 4 - 9-bucks

Will we be getting different types of clothing with style and flavour?

Answer 4 - Chris Roberts

We are definitely going to have customisation for your Avatar in terms of the outfits and clothes that you wear, so you can be a space trucker with a cowboy hat.

Question 5 - Nightmoss

Will Devs be playing the game along with the rest of us?

Answer 5 - Chris Roberts

Yes, we will be playing the game, we're making it for ourselves. And I've already told the Dev team that Wingman's ship will be heavily gimped.

Question 6 - Razor Zerax

With the Occulus Rift will it be possible to lean forward to see behind the bulky support beams? If a Vanduul rams me or a ship explodes in my face will we have cracked screens when we struggle to try to get away to safety.

Answer 6 - Chris Roberts

When you're wearing the Occulus and looking around the cockpit the whole cockpit is rendered in 3D and will move giving you that wonderful immersion. The Occulus isn't really great of lateral (side-to-side) motion yet, but when it does we'll support that. Essentially we'll track wherever you're looking.
    Regarding damage, then absolutely. If you remember the original Wing Commander, your ship had cracked monitors, sparks and all that kind of stuff inside your cockpit when you took damage, we're definitely doing that but obviously with the fidelity we can do nowadays. It would not be Star Citizen: Squadron 42 without doing that. It's a big focus to have that level of detail going on inside the cockpit which you'll be spending a huge amount of your time in. We're very focused on making all that environment be as detailed and as nuianced as possible.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 16 continued...

Question 7 - SamB

Will I be able to battle in chase-cam view as well as within the cockpit?

Answer 7 - Chris Roberts

You will be able to fly in chase-cam view but it is definitely not going to be arcadey or shooty or even like Freelancer where you have the full HUD and features available to you when you're in an external view. You'll have to be in your cockpit to have proper access to your HUD and the different displays you have in a cockpit. I know it will probably be controversial with a portion of our community but for me I really want to put you in this world, in this cockpit to feel like you're flying it so the immersion is very important for me so if you're on the outside, watching your ship it sort of becomes more gamey and less immersive. So you will be able to fly externally but you won't have all the aids you have inside the cockpit.

Question 8 - Blacksmithwolf

Will the RSI team be making it to PAX Australia?

Answer 8 - Chris Roberts

This year I don't think we'll make it but we're quite interested to come to Australia, so that could actually be a possibility next year. We have a large amount of people from our community who have backed us that are from Australia. Australia is as strongly represented as Canada and pretty close to the UK, which is pretty impressive since the UK has got such a bigger population than Australia or Canada.
    So it's definitely on our list and we're also going to try our best to make sure on the server side that we will have a solution that will let people in the Australasia region play the game without really crappy pings. So we're working on that. It may mean you play with people in Australia but the ping will be good, but that's one of our focuses on our back-end technology to make the experience work pretty well around the world.

Question 9 - MellowTigger

Some people over-pledged on Kickstarter for add-on ships, including some ships with limited availablity. When will be able to commit those funds so our ships are confirmed for our hangars?

Answer 9 - Chris Roberts

The credit system is going to be functional on the new website. We were looking at building it for the old site, but seeing as we're re-building the website from the ground up it didn't make sense to spend a significant amount of time on something we were going to throw away. So the credit allocation programme and a whole bunch of other great features are coming in the new website. I think we're going to go into a limited test at the end of next month and then probably roll it out fully in June, but we have to test it to a certain extent so we'll look at inviting some of the members of the community to help us test it.
    We don't want 100,000 people testing it on Day One as you're not really testing it, so I don't know if we'll do a lottery or if people can say they'd like to test the new website, but we'll work something out in the coming weeks. But the functionality of being able to spend your credits will be in the new site.

Question 10 - Moufassa75

Once the game is launched and our hangars are integrated into the universe will we be able to choose their location or pehaps choose from a list of provided locations or will their location be chosen at random?

On the hangar front I think we're going to let the players potentially chose some of the options, but we're still also figuring that out. It'll definitely be more than one place that we'll let players start in the universe 'cos we can't have everyone start on the same planet. So we were thinking that if you go through Squadron 42 and muster out you may have a choice for different places, maybe that could be tied in with the single player campaign.
    If you chose not to play Squadron 42 then maybe some of the choices of places might be slightly different. So we haven't fully decided whether its a combination of randomness or some choice, that may be one way to do it, but we'll definitely spread the player base out as far as home planets are concerned.
    I guess what we would focus on is the home planet that you would chose as a base would sort of be good for the kind of thing you want to do. If you want to be a Pirate, you don't want your home base to be like Earth, you probably want to be somewhere else.

Question 11 - Leprechaun

How will `levelling` work? Is it solely based on your purchase of a ship you can fly it, or are there any skills or training you will need to fly certain ships?

Answer 11 - Chris Roberts

We don't have levelling per-say. We're not an RPG, it's not like you're going to be Strength 18 or Dexterity 17 and Level 30. For us there's a couple of factors. One, your ship and building it up, getting better components, tuning the components and then just you as a player as you play more will hopefully get better. We are considering, but haven't 100% decided that there'll be some classes of ship that you'll need to fly some missions or get some training for before you can have it, just like in the real world.
    So in the real world if I want to drive an 18-wheeler, I can't with my normal driving licence as I'm not allowed too I have to go get a drivers licence that says I'm a commercial driver and I can drive a vehicle of this class. So we may do that, which isn't really levelling but more of a task or a mission that you would have to do at some point before you could buy or fly one of these ships.

Question 12 - ScottAllyn

Please take a moment to describe the mechanics of ship boarding only using interpretive dance?

Answer 12 - Chris Roberts

We thought that (character model animation) was better than letting Eric do a dance!

Question 13 - Travists

What is the current thinking on the planet of origin for pilots?

Answer 13 - Chris Roberts

It's a very similar answer to the previous question by Moufassa75. We've got some ideas that when you start in Sqaudron 42, that are built into the story/narrative, by some of the early conversations you determine kind of how your adventure is going to unfold, what you're into, are you aggressive, are you the guy that wants to save the world and maybe that will also impact where you're from. We're going to try and figure out some of the origin stuff in fiction but that's stuff that we're currently working out.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

Replies to some questions may also be out of date & later documents may have superseded these answers.
    We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 17

Question 1 - walltar

Can explorers make money by exploring? With 100 systems in game I fear everything will be found quickly?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Of course you can make money as an Explorer. Finding new jump co-ordinates, turning them into the local authorities & sell them that way, by naming it you can keep it to yourself & mine all the goodies out of it yourself. there's going to be more systems to discover.

Question 2 - Heremus

I demand to know if there will be any hidden Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy gags?

Answer 2 - Wingman

Well Heremus if you've been following us all along you'll know were dorks just like everybody else. We love Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, Firefly, Star Trek, Star Wars all that kind of stuff so yeah there'll be Easter eggs, we love doing that sort of stuff.

Question 3 - dos256

I understand CIG will be at Gamescon. I was wondering if we might be seeing some celebrities there?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Well I'm not sure about celebrities, but Chris, Sandi, myself & maybe Mike & some others might be there. & we plan to have a little event for Star Citizen card holders & all the backers out there who'd love to rub elbows & maybe break a pint together. Look for details on that coming up this summer.

Question 4 - OcculusSolus

We are all in danger of being placed on the UEEs hit list & having the hounds of justice loosed upon us. Can I trust you to inform our viewers how to clear their names, in the event one of them is unjustly placed on the Advocacys most wanted database?

Answer 4 - Wingman

Unjustly targeted by the UEE?. Unjustly? Ha, I don't think so. I think good sir if you've been targeted by the UEE then you know exactly what you did & its justified. That being said there's always ways to bribe your way out or hack & fight your way out.

Question 5 - lapirre515

When will the new RSI site be up & running? Do we have to apply to beta test the new site?

Answer 5 - Wingman

This ended up being a much bigger task, cos what we found out while doing this is that its Huge, its Monumental, there's so many different elements. The first one we did was done really easily, we didn't expect to have such a large community, it knocked things out on Reddit,so were doing this one right. The new site will be coming along in parts all through the summer, I think it'll finally be finished around August but the first bit will be out in May when we start beta testing. There will be a sign-up period, where we are looking for 100 or so of the most passionate people that will help us test the site, so look for an announcement fairly quickly about how to sign up for that.

Question 6 - Rebuc

Regarding the upcoming Hangar module will we be able to customise or re-decorate our ships in our Hangar? & if so, will we be able to share these out somehow to our friends or community in some fashion?

Answer 6 - Wingman

You betcha! Of course were going to let you customise ships, that's part of the whole thing. Well let you customise your hangar, blinging it up eventually well even have the Hangar of the Week on the Hangar show. Eventually well also let you visit each others Hangars so you can check them out & see what your buddys done in his or hers. Its still TBD as to when that will become available.

Question 7 - Scrambled-Legs

Is there any chance of a turret mounted plasma bolt firing crossbow? For tactical space stealth purposes of course?

Answer 7 - Wingman

Yeah, what do you think? (Shows picture of Grumpy Cat). No!
    Angry Kitty says No.

Question 8 - Dr.Hawk

What do you do if you get stranded? Surely you can get stuck in space or you know maybe asphyxiate or maybe you drift into a black hole where nobody ever sees you again?

Answer 8 - Wingman

stranded, you mean you run out of fuel, your ships blown up & you're just about dead & you get the other guy first or you go through a black hole. You could absolutely get stranded in space, well have ways of calling in nanny ships or your Guild members or friends by sending out distress beacons, things of that nature. But, were not sure how were going to h≤ black holes yet. There's talk that if you're ships strong enough you'll be able to get through & get launched into some other section that you've already discovered but were not sure how exactly were going to h≤ that.
    Well never leave you completely stranded or dead in the atmosphere or space as that would be just boring.

Question 9 - AtomicHawk

When will we get to see concept art & in-game shots of the Aurora?

Answer 9 - Wingman

That's a great question. Wed love to be able to show you concept art & sketches of the Aurora. Its coming up pretty soon in the next week or so, so you're just going to have to wait I think,sorry.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 17 continued...

Question 10 - Blacksmithwolf

Do you take all your feedback from the official forums or look at outside sources as well?

Answer 10 - Wingman

We get almost all of our feedback & questions from the forums, we do monitor some of the other sites but we would prefer to keep everything on one & that's where we want all the community. that's also the best source of information on the game, so the more you need to know or the more you want to be involved be on the RSI forums.

Question 11 - Hartsblade

During the pledge campaign TrackIR support was unlocked with the $1,750,000 stretch goal. has the team started to work on TrackIR integration & will be available for use in the Hangar module & Dog-fighting alpha?

Answer 11 - Wingman

Were definitely going to let you look around the cockpit, we promised you that the whole time. Well do that kind of support along with the Occulus Rift.

Question 12 - Kinshadow

Non-sentients are listed as contraband & cargo so far? Will there be any non-sentients that were going to fight? Like Bannu wildlife or Teveran Hounds unleashed during boarding?

Answer 12 - Wingman

Were not sure about that, whether there'll be indigenous life-forms to shoot at, but maybe therell be crystalline entities like in Star Trek or something or maybe space whales or space spiders. Who knows, but most of our fights are going to be combat orientated in your cockpit.
    Maybe there's a space whale out there that's trying to eat ya?

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 18

Question 1 - walltar

If planets are right size, will there be asteroid belts around them? So we can spend days there, prospecting and mining?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Of course anything you can see in the universe nowadays, asteroid belts, rings around planets, nebulas of that nature we’ll have all of that in Star Citizen. If it’s there we want to put gameplay into it, so there’ll be mining around planets, mining around asteroid belts, mining around nebulas.

Question 2 - Rebuc

Each of the ships we’ve seen all seem to have what looks like a latrine. Will there be a feature ingame that allows us to use the `facilities` ?

Answer 2 - Wingman

When you gotta go, you gotta go. Ok, we are not making a game about toilets. The only potty humour you get around here is this show :D

Question 3 - AtomicHawk

With all the talk on the forums of player-owned housing, do the Dev team have any opinions about it? Will it be a guaranteed feature as people are hoping for?

Answer 3 - Wingman

When you think about it your hangar is your player housing, you’re just going to get it way earlier in normal time. We’re doing the hangar now and Forrest and some of the guys working on it are making it look amazing and I can’t wait to show it to you. We want to get it just right, we’re very particular, we want you guys to see how good it is but we can’t be showing you it too early, letting the cat out of the bag to say

Question 4 - Thor3891

In regard to Star Citizen servers. Will someone in Australia be able to play on the American servers or vice-versa? And would our characters be able to be cross-server? Or how would we be able to transfer them?

Answer 4 - Wingman

It’s a really good question but it’s something we’re still working out. But, if you think about it we are primarily a dog-fighting game so ping is going to matter, so the way we’re thinking about it right now is that the proximity of where you are located physically in the world will be most of the players around you. We don’t know the effect of 100ms ping on dog-fighting or a 20ms ping, we think the sweet spot is around 50ms but you guys will help us test it out and find out and decide if we have to localize around a central server. It’s still TBD though.

Question 5 - Sliver

Will the Aurora be the smallest/cheapest ship we can acquire for standard travel or will there be something even more basic? (Except of course “board” ships like the P52)?

Answer 5 - Wingman

The Aurora is the starter ship, but that doesn’t mean it’s cheap. The Aurora comes from the Roberts Space Industries, the same company that makes the Constellation and it’s going to be a pretty nice piece of equipment. Don’t think of it as cheap, in fact when you look at it in the brochure that comes out today, I think you might just change your mind. It is one sweet looking vehicle.

Question 6 - CNKB

Will we be able to buy life-time insurance with in-game credit or cash when the game comes out?

Answer 6 - Wingman

We have a lot of questions about life-time insurance, so the way it was, was anyone who was an Early Backer got LTI and we sort of cut that off. We’re considering opening up a small window to allow that before the new site comes up. Hmmmm, there might be another way to earn it on the website soon

Question 7 - Sin-to-win

Will the star map represent the true shape of a galaxy, with a central core consisting of many stars and black holes as well as spiral arms that branch off the hub?

Answer 7 - Wingman

Well the fact of the matter is with only 100 - 150 systems it’s not going to be the entire galaxy. Think of if you’re in the arm of the Milky Way,
    you might hundreds of systems right on the fringe elements out there. That’s kind of where we’re going to be so it’ll be spherical and jump points can connect from system to system or they might wrap around and connect to another one based on the fiction that we put together.
    We’re not going to create a galaxy per-se it’s about the Star Citizen universe which will continue to grow until maybe, eventually it’s a galaxy.

Question 8 - Wingnut (WingMan parody)

Last week someone asked you about TrackIR and you answered with the Occulus Rift. Can you get it right please.

Answer 8 - Wingman

Of course we’re going to have TrackIR support. :)

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 19

Question 1 - LordAtrix

I am coming to the end of my software engineering course and was wondering if you guys will be doing any graduate placements or junior developer placements?

Answer 1 - Chris Roberts

Were quite keen on starting an intern programme in both Austin and Los Angeles, so reach out to us and our idea would be to have young, talented people come in, intern and then that hopefully would turn into a starting position and then become part of the small but very talented team we have here.

Question 2 - Miggins

Wingman mentioned recently the use of FRAPS, does this mean we will be only able to take video footage of things we see ourselves or can we have a track record option, where we can change camera and viewpoints when editing our footage?

Answer 2 - Chris Roberts

We havent fully decided how our camera recording setup is going to work so depending upon how its implemented you'll potentially be able to cut between angles. I think generally the way you should think about it is you could capture your play just as a stream or we may have the ability to record what's happening with the different object ships and in that case we probably would allow you to switch cameras.
    Although that hasn't been implemented so I cant promise it for the initial live release.

Question 3 - I.M.Weasel

Will we be able to pledge for different versions of other ships such as the 300i like I could for the Aurora?

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

Yes, absolutely. Think of it like modern world, where you have different models of aircraft, there's different versions of the F-18, there's the Super Hornet, the basic, the trainer roles etc so we will definitely have that on all our ships and think of those as pre-configured packages for you but there's nothing to stop you from buying the base model or even one of the pre-configured models then switching it and changing it to exactly, customising to the way you want with additional items. Avionic packages, shields, weapons all the rest of that stuff.
    So think of that as ease of convenience when playing. Some people don't want to deal with configuring, just like you would buy a Dell computer just to play or you may want to order all the parts from NewEgg and build your own computer.

Answer 3 - Wingman

You may actually change your configuration based upon your mission parameters.

Answer 3 - Chris Roberts

Yeah definitely. I actually think there'll be cases where players will have their setups, a dog-fighting setup and they'll have their trading setup and theyll have their courier setup, or their exploration setup for the same hull and were going to let you pre-configure them and then when you go back to your hangar you can switch them in and out like a Profile kind of setup. So essentially, you'll be able to Profile those out and change those out depending upon what your role is. So that's part of the concept I think its just going to add a lot of detail and nuance.

Question 4 - KillSlim

Will we be able to use unconventional tactics to avoid missiles, outside of counter-measures? Such as evasive maneuvers or obstacles, like asteroids, debris or other ships to counter trailing missiles?

Answer 4 - Chris Roberts

Definitely. If there's an asteroid or another ship and you manage to fly in the way and the missile cant turn fast enough then its going to hit the asteroid or the ship. So if you're a really good pilot you should be able to do some of that stuff you see movies, but also counter-measures work really well. Its all physically simulated so all that should fall out of the system.

Question 5 - Dunban

Will there be some kind of practice area where we can test our guns and practice boarding scenarios?

Answer 5 - Chris Roberts

Our kind of concept is gonna be in the spirit of the original Wing Commander where there was an arcade game sitting in the pilots mess that you could play to just practice flying around, so were definitely going to have a simulator section in your hangar so you can practice dog-fighting.
    I don't know about the 1st person combat boarding stuff, we haven't really discussed that, so that may or may not happen but definitely in the plan you will be able to do a simulation of dog-fighting scenarios to practice your skills before you have to put your real ship on the line.

Question 6 - Mr. Serling

With the upcoming 24hr live stream, I was wondering if the CIG team would be interested in broadcasting some community made content for the event? Content such as Fan Trailers, Unofficial Soundtrack, FanFic Readings, Skits, Video Questions, Artwork and of course love poems.

Answer 6 - Chris Roberts

The whole idea of the 24hr live events is having fun with all you guys out there so absolutely we want to have as much fan made content as possible. There's only so much we can fill the 24hrs with but I think that's the whole spirit of what were doing making this game, making it with you guys. Were constantly amazed by how cool and clever the stuff that you guys send in to us so we want to highlight that and looking at all the spaceships you guys are designing.

Question 7 - JJUNG

Ive heard that walking around, even out of combat will always be in 1st person? Is this true or are we going to be able to choose which POV we want to use, out of combat at least?

Answer 7 - Chris Roberts

Generally its first person as I'm big on the immersion on that side. There will be moments when you do things either on your ship or walking around that will mean a cut out to 3rd person for cinematics. I'm debating whether or not well let you switch out to a 3rd person view when youre walking around.
    When you're flying around in space you can definitely always switch to a chase cam and see the beauty of your ship and you'll have those elements where you'll have a cinematic when you deploy your missiles, but you'll be able to switch off those kind of cinematics if you want. But we definitely want to highlight how beautiful the characters, spaceships and the environments/locations will be, but I haven't 100% decided on the ground whether well let you just walk around in 3rd person as well as 1st person view.
    I think well definitely let you see in 3rd person in your hangar as the character is kinda cool but I've not 100% decided yet as its an immersion/story thing.

Continued below...

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Episode 19 continued...

Question 8 - Spiderhack

How big are jump points? I'm hoping they are large enough to allow lots of trade and not much camping.

Answer 8 - Chris Roberts

It sort of depend upon the jump point and also it depends on where you're going to be in terms of space. In terms of camping on the jump point were going to try our best to avoid the ability for people to necessarily camp and just destroy people. There isn't one standard exit position, where you come out of a jump point, you'll get spit out in a general area near the space anomaly. So you probably wont have the same ability to camp on the spot like you would have done in another game that has one specific exit point.
    Were pretty conscious of that as we want it to be fun, but there needs to be some level of constriction where you can control people coming into system but not to the point where you jump in and you get blasted before you can even power up your shields.

Question 9 - Scrambled-Legs

The Star Citizen universe is full of history. In the Aurora brochure the Aurora is specifically called the 2943 Aurora Model Spacecraft. Will older and newer models of ships be released as time goes on?

Answer 9 - Chris Roberts

Absolutely, so part of the goal is to have this idea of a living universe that carries on, so even once we're live we will be releasing new kinds of spaceships and even new models of existing spaceships. So just like today in the real world there's a 2013 edition of this or that car and every 2 or 3 years they do a revamp of it. Just like the Ford Focus you buy today isn't the same as one you bought 5 years ago, so that will definitely be the case on our ships. The one we did the Aurora brochure was the 2943 edition of the Aurora and down the road that'd probably get revamped by RSI and then on top of that well have newer ships coming to the market place.
    In the game you wont just be able to buy them everywhere, some of them you'll have to go to a specific part of the galaxy. And some of the bigger ships take longer to produce so if you want to buy something akin to a Corvette in game, well they don't make a lot of those so you might have to pay your money and then wait some game time, when you'll receive a message to say your ship is ready to be picked up.So were going to have supply and demand even on the ship manufacturing in the universe.

Question 10 - ThsIsWhtHpns

How are you approaching enemy combat tactics? Will enemy tactics be based on their ship model (WC style) or will it be more random?

The core inspiration for the dog-fighting is Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica style, really WWII in space. So a fair amount of the manoeuvres you pull will be inspired by that kind of stuff, although that's for atmospheric flight whereas were in space. So were going to have some extra stuff and nuances that will be only stuff you could pull off in the situation of being in space and well add extra ones in.
    Compared to Wing Commander I think its got the same basic fun & ease of use to play but if you really want to get into it you can tweak it and add some stuff that you could never have done on the original Wing Commander. So generally its kind of WWII-ish but there will be some other things that you maybe haven't experienced in the old Wing Commanders.

Question 11 - Black-Friar

Seeing as many of the ship designs feature beds, galleys and such. Will things like sleep and food play any part in the game?

Answer 11 - Chris Roberts

Were going to have a nod to them just for the sake of them being fun but were not simulating to the point where you have to sleep 8 hours for every 24 hours of gameplay, cos its obviously not much fun. But in your ship youll be able to go back to your cabin and lay down like we showed in the Aurora brochure, where your character is laid down on the bed.
    Like on the Constellation there's a kitchen so you'll be able to go up and make yourself a cup of coffee, basically environmental interaction. Just things to make it feel more real and that they have a purpose, but it wont be gameplay necessary where you have to fuel your character.

Question 12 - AwesomeAD

Will there be a novelisation of Squadron 42? We've been getting a lot of awesome fiction on the website itself, so how much of this will carry over into the game? Will the ingame fiction be useful in various manners such as learning tactics and procedures that could help me against certain aliens or finding lucrative trade runs or mining resources?

Answer 12 - Chris Roberts

Were definitely going to do novelisations of Squadron 42 and other aspects of the game. We already have novelists, such as Doug Niles who's doing fiction for Jump Point and we've got a bunch of other authors on tap. The characters we've been doing on the website in the fiction you've been reading is deliberately designed to introduce characters and gameplay and concepts that are going to be in the game. So you will run across Cal Mason, Kid Crimson and some of the things they do that we explore there will be elements of game and gameplay sort of ties in to one of the later questions, is there going to be in fiction learning of how to fly, absolutely.
    So when were trying to introduce some of the game mechanics, well introduce them via the fiction, so were definitely doing that on the website but it'll also extend into the game. So my approach for the game is like even when you're running the tutorial, it doesn't feel like you're running the tutorial. I want to blur the line between it being a game and a second life so to speak.
    There's definitely going to be a case of collecting artifacts around the galaxy, but I'm not sure its going to be books that you can go back later and read but there will definitely be in game information that you unlock and then in the in game galactopedia you'll be able to get those in game entries. But there's definitely going to be items and artifacts that you need to find by gameplay and exploring around the universe and were going to let you collect them in your private space. For me whatd be really cool would be different things that you've collected because you've done missions or gone to corners of the galaxy, that you could look at what you've got sitting on your dashboard or what's sitting in your hangar and each have a story attached to them.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 20

Question 1 - raman0503

It’s extremely satisfying seeing comm link polls. I wonder how much the results influence your decisions as developers and whether you are sometimes surprised by the popularity of certain responses?

Answer 1 - Wingman

We take polls very seriously, take a look at the Handle System poll.We thought we had a really, really good way of doing it and then we put it out there to you guys to get your opinions and you guys came up with some incredibly cool ideas, which made us think “yeah, that actually works better”. So we value your input very much. We poll the community a lot on the important things in the game, we think it’s crucial.
    Are we surprised? Not really ‘cos you guys are incredible and we expect that out of you.

Question 2 - Myrothas

Will we be able to fully script things in servers? I could imagine someone creating a Real Life server with jobs and much functions for roleplay on planets.

Answer 2 - Wingman

On your own server you can do whatever you want. You can fully script events and things of that nature. You won’t be able to put them up into the Persistent Universe unless they’ve been approved and run through our Q&A group. In your own servers it’ll be like essentially running your own MMO.

Question 3 - LordAtrix

If you reach the $10 million before the new website goes live, will you still be doing the 24 hour show?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Of course we’re going to do a 24hr live show, we’re excited about it. It’s not always about raising money, it’s about involving the team and interacting directly with you guys as we’re going have stuff from you on the show.
    We’re kind of making this game together and so it’s fun to reach out and virtually handshake at certain times. 24hr webcasts are fun, we’re excited and it’s good way to blow off steam.

Question 4 - gandalfnog

During battle when your ship is tossing and turning and doing barrel rolls, can you and your friends in arms, walk about the ship?For example could you and your friends partake in some tea during a battle?

Answer 4 - Wingman

You are going to be able to move around your ship during battle whilst being jostled but I’m not sure how much the gravity will affect you but that’s going to be determined in gameplay. We’ll put that through it’s paces in the dog-fighting alpha, let you guys give us feedback, let us know what you guys liked or didn’t like. But if you’re up walking around your ship when you’re supposed to be manning a gun, that’s not good for the ship or the rest of your crew.

Question 5 - QuorumOf4

Does the Aurora have a bathroom? The public makes irrational demands for answers.

Answer 5 - Wingman

To pee or not to pee, that is the question. You don’t need a bathroom in the Aurora, why do you think we gave you the fancy spacesuit?

Question 6 - AtomicHawk

Has the dev team considered if and how they are going to implement salvaging?

Answer 6 - Wingman

There certainly will be salvaging, there’ll be derelict ships in the universe for you to discover and loot, also we’re trying to figure exactly what’s going to be left behind when ships blow up. They might leave something really, really cool behind but it probably won’t be completely intact but it’ll be salvageable and the game is one of skill so you should be able to destroy something really cool and get something.

Question 7 - Razorzerax

Have you officially confirmed the `Lamp` as an ingame feature?

Answer 7 - Wingman

The lamp will be in the game :D

Question 8 - Ravenhurst

Is the SC team changing/customising certain aspects of CryEngine or does it work “out of the box” for everything that is planned for the game?

Answer 8 - Wingman

While the CryEngine is very impressive it’s designed mostly for FPS games, so we’re doing a significant amount of customisation for Star Citizen because we have a bigger universe as you know, with a lot more places to go and you’d have to do that with any engine to customise it for your particular game.

Question 9 - Logante

When it comes to repairing ships and gear, are you able to hire someone else to be in charge of fixing up your ship? Like an engineer or a shop mechanic? Could someone make a living off of that? Fixing stuff up?

Answer 9 - Wingman

Well as you know in the Kickstarter Campaign there’s a repair bot that already works on your ship but if you’re asking if there’s someone that you can hire that can have a career repairing and tweaking your ship, then we’ve been toying with that idea of allowing people to take things and modify them and then re-sell them in the community.
    I know Chris is keen on that and it’s going to be a balancing aspect as to how we’d work that in so it’s one of those things that’s going to TBD.

Transcribed by Wise Owl

• Hysteria

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    jPIMKSl.png

We hope you enjoy them.

EPISODE 21

Question 1 - GregorM

Will the AMX-1 repair droid be a hangar feature or will it be more like R2-D2 equivalent onboard a player’s ship?

Answer 1 - Wingman

Your AMX droid will go with you into space as long as you have room in your ship it’ll be there repairing things as you go. You’ll be able to upgrade it and make it more efficient at repairing but if you have a smaller ship and you don’t have room for it.... hmm, you’re not gonna have room to take it.

Question 2 - Markebben

Are we going to have a library allowing an Arduino Chip to dialogue with CryEngine? This would allow makers to build a physical cockpit with LED, switches and encoders.

Answer 2 - Wingman

The answer to that is, if we have time. We love that stuff, so we’re going to support as much as we can but it’s probably one of those things that might not be there at release one but will eventually get there. It’s just a matter of we’ve got to get the main part done first and then we can start adding that in there

Question 3 - Hakadek

Will the new RSI website go live at the same time as the 24hr live stream starts?

Answer 3 - Wingman

Yeah! Of course, that’s what the 24hr live stream is about and I know the date, I’m just not gonna tell ya :D
    We’ve lined up some really, really cool stuff, some reveals, some fun, some fan stuff but we’re organising how exactly we’re going to do it, whether it’s one location or here and L.A.

Question 4 - PEAS

Would I possibly be able to link any Forum gallery I have created directly to my hangar to allow others to view my wonderous art?

Answer 4 - Wingman

We’re toying with allowing a piece of canvas in your hangar where you can put your own thing on there but we have to be careful as we all know some people tend to put rather nefarious or odd looking things on their stuff and it may have to have an approval process, we’ll see how that goes. It might be one of those deals where you can see it and your Friends can say “I want to see it” and take the risk themselves .

Question 5 - Gazanimal

Will we be able to create custom jobs/order/assassinations and post them to a global job board?

Answer 5 - Wingman

Yes! That’s part of the fun. If you want to put a hit out on somebody, absolutely we’ll put it out there and it can be taken up by somebody else. That’s kinda what we want to do, we want you guys, the users to drive the lore of the universe, we want you to drive a lot of the gameplay. A lot of the events will be centred around the conflicts that clans have or guild have together. So, absolutely that stuff will happen. There’ll be a lot of stuff generated by the system itself but a lot of it’s going to be created by humans, because we humans tend to be conflicting. So we’re going to play with that and have some fun with that, so yes, yes and Yes!

Question 6 - FredericK

If we are able to wear regular clothes in space ships and stations, getting ejected into space or sucked out of a hull breach would be immediately fatal. Is there some sort of benefit for wearing regular clothes or will it be relegated to planet surfaces and role play?

Answer 6 - Wingman

That’s why we’re giving you a spacesuit. I know getting sucked out of a hull makes it tough to breathe (ask our own weather wizard, Peter Mackay, he knows all about that). But spacesuits will protect you a bit on that, we don’t want everyone being sucked out and shrinking up.

Question 7 - Jit86

Will there be species other than human to choose from?

Answer 7 - Wingman

Not right away. You’ll be playing human at the beginning but we’re not going to say no to that because we expect this game to be around for a very, very long time and we think it would be very cool to play other species too. But on the first iteration, we’re concentrating on getting the humans right.

Question 8 - Quarrel

If we are flying multi-crew ships solo, will we be able to hire NPC crew to help man the ship? What about NPC’s to work in manual turrets?

Answer 8 - Wingman

You’ll be able to hire NPC’s to do those things. They’re going to be rated, rankings, things of that nature so the better ones will be more expensive, the more accurate ones. You can always go get some slob from a drug addled street corner and throw him in there but he’s not gonna hit a lot and he might hit your own tail, who knows.
    So absolutely there’ll be NPC’s to crew your ship, you’ll see them wandering around doing stuff.

Question 9 - Kinshadow

When we find an asteroid base in the Persistent Universe can we install mods on it like stealth technology to keep it hidden from other players?

Answer 9 - Wingman

No we’re not going to let you cloak asteroid bases. If you find them you’ll be able to put defences up to stop people from getting there but we don’t want you to hide stuff. Can you imagine if you could hide stuff, all the cool stuff would be completely hidden and you’d have to have things that could discover things that are hidden.
    We want you guys to have conflicts, to fight over stuff, so no, sorry. If you find it, you’ve got to protect it but you can’t hide it.

Transcribed by Wise Owl