Squadron 42 - Design

• F42-Vector

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yco | Yco said:
    [hide]

Thanks for this info! There are currently 4 Stations in the freelancer, and 2 pilot stations, making a total of 6 in a 2-crew ship... ;) How do you plan to deal with this sort of discrepancy?

Hi Yco,

This is something I will be working on and the Freelancer a very good example. I would definitely think that you would want to be able to fly the ship solo using the systems we have already. Hey, I'm not entirely sure I want to have to hire people for a ship that size!

That said, having friends along to take on some of the logistics should allow you to "break out" some of those systems and make them more granular.

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Mike_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hello! First of all I wanted to congratulate you for the work you've achieved! The game looks great!

I've got quite an odd question but I can't help it because it bugs me... Since you're putting a lot of detail as your character puts himself into the cockpit of a ship or moves around the environment, we can see the various body parts in motion as he puts the helmet on, climbs ladders and so on; yet we can't see the chest of the character in First Person.

This is something that I noticed in a lot of games and can't see whether its a design aspect or a technical problem to implement the chest of the character when looking down? When you look down in Crysis you can see your characters legs but not the chest and yet when I look down I just can't help seeing my arms, legs and chest!

Are you guys planning on showing the chest and the rest of the body (because we can see the entire front view of our bodies when looking down) in the game? It seems like a small detail but its a detail that would make the game feel more "real".

Hey paprikaka!

This is an interesting question and it raises a few issues we'll be looking into as the first person movement becomes more developed.

Firstly, the reason you can't see the chest isn't because it's not there, but rather it's due to the look constraints of the camera (you can't look directly downward to 0,0,0) coupled with your field of view.

We constrain the camera to prevent the head from clipping through your chest, so when you look directly down you are actually still looking at a slight angle.

Field of view is the extent of the observable environment you can see. We are currently planning for this to be customisable but whether you will be able to place this at such a value as to observe your chest will be down to testing.

In the meantime, I (begrudgingly) recommend Jurassic Park: Trespasser :)

Cheers!
    Lead Level Designer
  • Mike_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I have always had a casual interest in how R&D in the military design of not just aircraft but of non-weapon innovations that make it into the civilian sector.

As an example, will a multi-puropse space suit used for boarding and heavy duty spacewalk ship repair be available in the civilian sector once you use the suit and successfully come back to base after a certain mission. Then you hear about it being available in the news wire before your service is concluded/leave early and after set amount of game days. It could be linked to your player character as a "flair" or "bonus" item.

Could something like this event exist in S42?

Hello I_fly_bricks!

This is definitely something we will be trying to bleed into the surrounding fiction of the universe. The advancements in technology provided by military outfits would probably make their way into the civilian sector just as you have suggested, and showing that in the world will only serve to make the universe more cohesive and believable.

Your flair suggestion is cool and we're still working stuff like this out for the Persistent Universe. Squadron 42 may indeed introduce you to some technology that we could later open up in the civilian market.

Hope this answers your question!

Lead Level Designer
  • PickledAtRandom

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I *think* this is the correct thread to ask this.

In the initial promo video the Bengal fights off a flight of Vanduul scythes.But the Bengal doesn't seem to actually be able to defend itself. Now, I understand it's a preview movie and it was very early, so my question is not "WHY??"

But it made me think: If I were a Vanduul, what would it be like going up against a Bengal like that? What is your vision of how that should look or play out? Can you describe that from both perspectives [UEE/Enemy] for us?

Hi Tokomi

I can't speak for the promo video - I think they were wanting to show off the dogfighting and the Bengal obviously makes an incredible backdrop for that to take place around, but I do not imagine a few Scythes would be able to get that close to a fully functional Bengal.
    It also appears like not all of the Bengal's turrets are firing, there are no missiles launched and there is no sign of shields being hit. Take into account all these and the Bengal becomes much more of a daunting prospect to attack.
    And this is without taking into account the two hangars loaded with Hornets and Gladiators ready to head off an assault before any enemies reach the Bengal.
    The way I imagine it (and this is opinion and not gospel), the Bengal will be much slower at launching its fighters than the Vanduul and have fewer on board, but it will have much better defences.
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    ScalyOctopus:
    [hide]

I've got some questions about the Vanduul capital ships seen in this poster:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/8wm5ul3q2mipkr/source/Vanduul_vehicle_size_chart3_mod.jpg

How 'final' are the designs seen here? Have they all been kept?

Most of those ships have some ribcagey looking elements, but the Lightfire, Mauler and cargo ships seem to have spines along their backs that look much more bone shaped. Those on the Mauler are even white. Are these actual animal spines, or do they just look that way? Could they be from space whales?

Could we see a poster like this one for the UEE at some point? Has any work been done on Xi'An and Banu capital ships?

Hey Wooly Octopus,

These concepts were essentially for a look, feel and sense of scale for the Vanduul ships in comparison for UEE ships

These will likely change once we starting speccing them (Some considerably, others less so)

And if they weren't going to be made from the bones of Space Whales... They will have to be now! ;)

I'm sure we've released a UEE poster like this somewhere and as for Xi'an and Banu Cap ships, they're still in the works

Thanks,
    Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

A question regarding squadron 42, and how it ties into a person's SC lore. If this has already been answered, I apologize for asking it again.

In a nutshell it is this. I play Sq42, and win, then export that character to Star Citizen, and start building my SC lore for this character, building on his SQ42 lore. OK, eventually he does, and his stuff is passed down to his son/daughter/nephew, etc... Can I build the new character up as a war hero? If so, I am not sure how that would work.

Also, how would it work when I have a player die of old age, or it is supposed to be several years after the Sq42 events, but then, a friend buys the game at my suggestion, say 5 years from now, plays Sq42, and then puts his fresh from the war hero, into my ship as a gunner...with the son of my war hero who just died of old age, many years after the war. What if I just buy a new game so that I can have two of my own characters flying together, maybe one being one that I allow friends to use so they can fly with me?

How can I do this without causing a cataclysmic disruption of the space-time continuum? ;-)

Hey N7 Shadow!

I think our understanding is that, your new character will have some big shoes to fill in order of reputation ;)
    But I think it's your lineage/legacy which is the factor here rather than your individual

From talking to a few other designers, I don't think we will have our characters ageing

It may be best to ask on the PU Forums to get the best answer mate!

Hope that helps,
    Robbie

• RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

It seems like integrating everything of use into the helmet and MobiGlass is the design choice for this game. Doesn't that make the systems rather dull? I know it makes it easier on you guys because you don't have to make different looking interfaces in the ships, but doing everything from changing parts on our ships, to identifying damage to the ships hull on your own personal device seems to be negating any reason to have computer monitors in the ship at all.

I think it would be a worthwhile game mechanic to not have everything at your fingertips at all times. You'd need to find the damage report on an engineering computer console, or ask engineering to give you the damage report. Sounds more fun that way.

Hey Socrates,

When it comes to Damage, we intend to do this through a log of the ship
    As we currently only have fighters flyable at the moment the player is always updated on the ship's status

When we implement Multi-Crew Ships, Players will need to request damage reports from engineering crew (Other Players or NPCs) who in turn work at terminals who can run a check and hopefully resolve the issue (Much like you stated)

Hope that helps :)
    Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Since SQ42 is our first exposure to the SC universe, are you guys responsible for making the Character Creator? If so, can you tell us anything about it (is anybody working on it, how complex is it, etc)?

Hey Wavion,

Although it will indeed make its debut in S42, it will likely serve greater purpose to the PU universe
    We're still in discussion over which studio will ultimately helm this feature.

Sorry I couldn't help you any further pal!

Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Could someone tell us:
    1. What type of warship the Retribution-class is and who manufactures it?
    2. Who manufactures the Panther-class?
    3. Does the Utility ship, the UEE Dropship, or the new Heavy Fighter have a name/manufacturer yet?
    4. Is the Indefatigable-class or Reaper-class mentioned in lore in the works?

Hey Grak,

Here are the answers to your questions!

1. The Retribution is manufactured by multiple companies working together!
    2. RSI manufactures the Panter-Class
    3. Sorry, I'm not too sure we have this fully confirmed as of yet!
    4. These Vanduul ships are indeed in the works!

Hope the answers are useful to you mate!

Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I was reading ...

Baen Books published - Beginnings (a collection of short stories) by David Weber -
    which contains, among others, BY THE BOOK by Charles E. Gannon.
    In this story the following caught my eye --
    Lee was turning to ask his bearded host about their daily production capacity when the immense hydrogen-purification tank on the far side of the processing facility exploded. The shock wave slammed into Lee like a whole-body battering ram and sent him tumbling forward. His left shoulder hit the rocky floor first, his torso cinching at the waist. His feet continued arcing away from the source of the blast, dragging him head-over-heels into a punishing low-gee somersault.

Instincts took over—instincts that had been drilled into him during his training on Luna, and that had been acquired at a high price in bruised bones and suppressed vomit. As Lee’s momentum spun him back into a heads-up position, he stretched his legs wide, thereby making his longest axis perpendicular to the direction of his tumble. His rotation became faster but less powerful. At the same time, his left hand (the expendable one) went out in front of him, elbow bent, wrist relaxed: a shock absorber for what was sure to be a nasty impact. His right hand caught the lower lip of his helmet’s raised faceplate, pulled down sharply—

Burning hydrogen roared over and around him just after the faceplate clanked into place. The force of the fiery wash accelerated his forward tumble; he landed hard on his left hand, felt several bones bow, one crack. Lighting streaks of pain sprinted up his arm.

He managed to keep his legs wide and his hips cantilevered forward as his chin and chest slammed into the floor. His heels tried to rise again, struggling to unclench his abdominal muscles and pull him into another somersault. But Lee fought back, kept his waist bent and legs down. His rotational momentum bled away and he started sliding forward, his left arm out for drag and stability while his right hand protected the faceplate. A few more skittering bumps and then he felt himself drifting to a halt. He rolled over, kicked his legs out and up, and came to a buttock-bruising stop.

-- which left me with the thought --
    Will S42, and SC, include defensive-moves as well as the already mentioned combat-moves (like fireing positions) ??

Hey Oran Stigander!
    Quite the post there! A good read!

In answer to your question, we haven't really thought about that just yet, but its definitely worth a discussion!

Thanks for the post!

Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I have a question about the Gladius' specs.

The specs listed in the announcement article say that it has a Class 2 nose mount, however, all the concept art and the Holo Viewer show a canard turret (Class 4).

So....which is it?

Good Spot Harrison!

From looking at our internal Ship Spec page, the Gladius should indeed have a Class 2 Nose Mount

Will try and get this resolved to prevent further confusion!

Thanks,
    Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Thanks for producing and selling the Gladius and I can't wait to see it in my hangar! =)

I have a few questions about the Gladius's weapon loadout. Mainly I'm curious to know if the nose guns are two separate weapons mounted on two hard points or just one large double barreled weapon system mounted on a single class 2 hard point?

Also does the Gladius have two class 3 pylons that carry 4 missiles each or are there four class 3 pylons (which is what it looks like with the different sized missiles mounted) that carry two missiles each for more flexibility such as carrying fuel tanks on two pylons while carrying a pair of missiles each on the pair that remain?

Hey Kamikaz1!

The Nose turret is one single class 2 Hard Point gun

And for your other question concerning the Class 3 Pylons, the Gladius' default has 8x Size 1 Pylons with 2 Missiles per Pylon, to total of 8 for a ship
    But these can be changed to a 4x Size 2 Pylon with the same total of missiles for the variation

Hope that answers your question!

Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    qLu | qLu said:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

I have a question about the Gladius' specs.

The specs listed in the announcement article say that it has a Class 2 nose mount, however, all the concept art and the Holo Viewer show a canard turret (Class 4).

So....which is it?

Good Spot Harrison!

From looking at our internal Ship Spec page, the Gladius should indeed have a Class 2 Nose Mount

Will try and get this resolved to prevent further confusion!

Thanks,
    Robbie

Wait, when you say "indeed" it makes it sound like you meant to agree with him, did you mean class 2 or did you mis-type and mean class 4?
    Sorry qLu, Could of worded it better

The Nose Mount is meant to be Class 2

Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Could someone tell us:
    1. What type of warship the Retribution-class is and who manufactures it?
    2. Who manufactures the Panther-class?
    3. Does the Utility ship, the UEE Dropship, or the new Heavy Fighter have a name/manufacturer yet?
    4. Is the Indefatigable-class or Reaper-class mentioned in lore in the works?

Hey Grak,

Here are the answers to your questions!

1. The Retribution is manufactured by multiple companies working together!
    2. RSI manufactures the Panter-Class
    3. Sorry, I'm not too sure we have this fully confirmed as of yet!
    4. These Vanduul ships are indeed in the works!

Hope the answers are useful to you mate!

Robbie
    Just to clear up confusion, when you say vanduul in 4, you mean UEE? Because from the lore articles it would seem that it would be UEE. Also, not sure if it was intentional or not, but you left out what class the Retribution is.

Hey Kai,

Apologies I should of looked further into the fiction!
    To clear up the confusion, I've not heard of an Indefatigable class UEE Ship yet, but there are talks of Reaper ship for Vanduul

And thanks for letting me know about the class 4 issue with the Gladius as well, will go on a Witch Hunt to solve the issue!

Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Thanks @RElms_CIG for the answers!
    Is the Retribution-class a Battle-cruiser?

Your welcome!

And what we info we have on the Retribution states its Class is Super Dreadnaught

Hope that helps!
    Robbie
  • PickledAtRandom

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Welshman:
    [hide]

Very happy that Sqn42 team is working on the F8. To date your work has been most impressive. Keep it up.

Just the 1 question though, will the F8 Lightning fit inside and be able to be operated off the Idris?

Cheers
    Speedbrake

Hi Speedbrake

We designed the F8 so that when it lands its wings fold away to leave it the width of a Hornet, so it might. Maybe.
    Sorry I can't say for sure, but we will try our best.

Luke
  • PickledAtRandom

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Vortices:
    [hide]

On the last Around the Verse Sandi and Ben mentioned your studio would be designing the "heavy fighter". I took this to mean a UEE heavy fighter, but on second thought it could be anyone's fighter. Is there a possibility you might be able to tell us which species the fighter belongs to, and if human/uee, the manufacturer?

Hi [SUN] KaZeFenrir [Zealot]

We are working on the Anvil F8 Lightning a UEE heavy fighter. It's a prototype ship built as the UEE response the the Vanduul heavy fighter.

Luke
  • PickledAtRandom

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Thanks guys for all the hard work!
    For a while there were concepts of the Hornet wings sweeping back (as the F-14 Tomcat's do) for increased speed.
    Have those ideas been abandoned?

Hi Illusion Tokomi

The Hornet's wings will sweep back when boosting (and hopefully when landing as this will make landing on the Idris easier). I've seen it working and it looked great. Dunno when you guys will see it, but it's coming.

Luke
  • PickledAtRandom

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

LPressley_CIG:
    [hide]

Vortices:
    [hide]

On the last Around the Verse Sandi and Ben mentioned your studio would be designing the "heavy fighter". I took this to mean a UEE heavy fighter, but on second thought it could be anyone's fighter. Is there a possibility you might be able to tell us which species the fighter belongs to, and if human/uee, the manufacturer?

Hi [SUN] KaZeFenrir [Zealot]

We are working on the Anvil F8 Lightning a UEE heavy fighter. It's a prototype ship built as the UEE response the the Vanduul heavy fighter.

Luke
    So if the lightning is a heavy and the replacement for the Hornet which is also a heavy. And we have the Gladius which is a light, then are you guys planning a medium fighter perhaps long range patrol?
    The Hornet is the medium fighter. The UEE had no need for a heavy fighter until now so the F8 isn't replacing anything - just filling a unoccupied role.

Luke
  • PickledAtRandom

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

How many seats does the F8 currently have? :)

Hi Sir On The Edge

It's really early days with the F8 so we're reluctant to go into too much detail on it I'm afraid. Give us some more time and I'm sure it'll be announced.

Luke
  • PickledAtRandom

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Greetings. I love what Foundry 42 has been doing for Star Citizen's ships. =)

I'm curious to know if the Gladius can mount guns larger than size 1? Also if the Gladius can mount larger guns what might the largest allowable size be?

Hi Kamikaz1

The current plan is that the Gladius can only take size 1 guns.

Luke
  • PMeller_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:

[hide]

Do the Gladius' wings fold in some way for storage? Perhaps like those of an F/A-18?

Hey

The Gladius wings are fixed. Its a small fighter and we've had no problems so far storage wise. Seen them parked up in the Idris and it all looks good.
    "We do it my way. Fear is our ally"
  • WingMan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Don't argue with P. Meller - he is a skull crusher !!!

:)

WM
    Bringing DESCENT back baby!

www.descendentstudios.com

• JDadley_CIG

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I found this pic on the interwebz: http://oi59.tinypic.com/ayonig.jpg

Was wondering if there is any update to the length on that ship, or if it's the same?
    Also, has it entered the grey-box stage yet?

Thanks.

Hey,

The Javelin is still the same length as quoted there.

The interior layout is complete with greybox art in place. There's still a long way to go but it's one of our more complete captial ship interiors.

Cheers,
    Jon
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi Design Team,

Not a question more a suggestion or request:
    Is it possible to make a similar end credits Heroes Walk for Squadron 42?

0.jpg

Maybe it could be used for an Idris commercial. (Our crew - our heroes!)

Hey Captain Achaemenes!

After watching that, I feel it would be wrong not too! :)

Thanks,
    Robbie
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi all: .. 2 items

1)- FPS is getting closer .. Will [REDACTED] get their own section here in .. ASK A DEVELOPER .. ?
    2)- This link states that a 9th grader developed better armor than is currently being used by front-line US troops:
    0.jpg

Hey Oran,

I don't think [REDACTED] will be getting an ASK A DEVELOPER thread, but after PAX I feel that we here may be able to answer any questions you have concerning the FPS as we will be utilizing it in S42

Hope that helps!
  • RElms_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I'm a new player to Star Citizen and have a quick question.

Can players expect to see a military dress uniform for Squadron 42 (imagine seeing your uniform inside a glass case mounted on the wall of your hanger), which would allow players to view their medals, ribbons, and badges earned during the course of the campaign?

25406Uniform.jpg

Hey Nostromo,

We do intend to implement Military Dress uniform in Squadron 42, complete with medals,ribbons and badges to represent your character achievements in the game, but that is still yet to be fleshed out

Not too sure about having a Lightsaber on your belt though. sorry ;)

Robbie
  • JDadley_CIG

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    Cpt_ACE:
    [hide]

@JDadley_CIG

A special link with a lot of VR awesomesauce for one of CIGs biggest VRnuts:

0.jpg

Any chance you can hook that up in y'alls SQ42 code (say some interaction with a battle station, or a messhall vending or coffe machine)? And next time Chris Roberts comes for a visit you give him a lil demo? Just kidding btw...

Would be so awesome!

Yeah I saw this at the weekend, it's awesome isn't it! I've done a bit of fiddling with the Leap and it's a very impressive piece of kit but unfortunately it's still a bit too unreliable and finnicky, but it's still a very cool taste of the future.

As for SQ42, we don't have any plans to integrate the Leap yet but like you say, the best way to persuade people is to make something cool and show it to them. And of course the more noise people make about things like VR and motion control the more attention we have to pay!
  • PMeller_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Just a quickie after the visit in May, did you ever manage to park an Aurora in the Idris bridge?

Hey Purps

That'll be a no.
  • PMeller_CIG

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi there I was wondering if you guys knew how large the Escort Carrier was going to end up being or at least a ballpark estimate?

Ball park figure i;d say its gonna come in at between 700m and 800m in length.