Star Citizen on PC & Linux, not MAC as Gamespot said ;)

SKills

Posted:
Edited: by SKills
Posted: -
On the Gamespot interview with Chris, the platform specs popped up at 07.38 and said that Star Citizen would be on PC, MAC and Linux

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/e3-2014-star-citizen-stage-demo/2300-6419567/

Not on the mac ;)
  • wcloaf

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    The Mac is incorrect, but we have announced Linux support!
  • Sir

Posted:
    Edited: by Sir
    Posted:
    Edited:
    One of the devs posted that Linux is confirmed as planned, but they don't know why Gamespot added Mac to the list. I'll find the link in a moment and edit it in.

Edit: Found it: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2780231/#Comment_2780231

Edit again... doh, totally ninja'd by Ben. Damn you, Ben!
    wumpus
  • SKills

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi ya Ben :)

Thank goodness, the Mac thing worried me, Linux is fine ;)
  • Rollcage

Posted:
    Posted:
    lolMac

Yeah right.
  • Nightrider

Posted:
    Posted:
    Linux is probably for the back end game servers.
    Orion-Reclaimer-Carrack-890 Jump-Starfarer_x2-Merchantman-Retaliator-Constellation-Freelancer-Cutlass-325A-350R-Scythe-Aurora LX, LN-Avenger-Gladiator-Hornet F7C-M, F7C-R-Gladius-Xi'an Scout-Herald-M50 Interceptor
    Forum - http://www.thepantless.com
  • SKills

Posted:
    Posted:
    There you go changed the title as that would have worried a lot of people ;)
  • Ricback2

Posted:
    Posted:
    No mac hardware can support star citizen, lol.
    Anti-Operation Pitchfork.

Because Vanduuls have children too!
  • MonkeyBusiness

Posted:
    Posted:
    Lol, it'd be great on a Mac... Pro... with dual FireGLs... ;) Or, you could just buy every ship and a PC with dual Titan Blacks for half the price. ;)

Searching for the perfect combination of Jump Fuel, Caffeine and Vanduulian Moonshine since 2943.
  • eminussleepus

Posted:
    Posted:
    Odra:
    [hide]

Lol Mac uses x86 hardware.. Wonder what that means.. Hmmmm

/sarcasm
  • Karnisov

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Linux is probably for the back end game servers.

Linux is also for SteamOS
  • Davidlito

Posted:
    Posted:
    Do you know what this game would do to a Mac?

Oh wait... it won't run on it cuz its x86
    1.pnghtml>
  • refuz

Posted:
    Posted:
    While I plan to run the final game on a dedicated gaming machine the boot camp I have on my 2 year old iMac seems to run AC just fine.

Here is the answer to your x86 question. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

bvcsorF.pngaBIG3k3.png
  • meths

Posted:
    Posted:
    amd have hinted at linux suport for mantle so that might be where the support will come from as otherwise they'd have to code for opengl as well.
  • mr-green

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Do you know what this game would do to a Mac?

Oh wait... it won't run on it cuz its x86

Welcome to the future my friend! I see you've been asleep for 9 years or more! Macs are now intel based and no longer use powerpc! Crazy right? What on earth would make them "better" for creative people now?

All jokes aside I'm looking forward to linux support :)
    Praise the Sun! \ [T] /
    mxzOVCq.png

• Night_Archaon

Posted:
    Posted:
    Linux makes sense, how else will you get SC on to Steam OS :D
    8613410649-vignette.png
  • Victor_Tramp

Posted:
    Posted:
    linux makes sense cuz i can build a hella bigger gaming rig out of a standard PC that whatever it is Apple is offering.

oh, and for a helluva lot cheaper too..

except the dual Titan Zs.. that might put me over
    Waiting patiently for the Linux version since 2012.
  • Cathulhu

Posted:
    Posted:
    Mac OS had 64Bit support long before Windows did. Don't know why you spout that X86 nonsense. We still use it, it's just X86-64 now. For PC and Mac.

About the missing Mac support, that is not a decision by CIG, merely the fact that the CryEngine does not support it. Linux support is currently in development at CryTek.
    Proud owner of an Origin Jumpworks 315p and Aurora LN

Would you kindly refrain from sending me Organization invites? I'm not looking for one at the moment.
  • BoMbY

Posted:
    Edited: by BoMbY
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Linux makes sense, because developers and gamers want to get away from that Microsoft BS (restricting the users and developers more and more, and valuing tablets over desktop, etc.). And yes, SteamOS will definitely help in that regard, but the wish for Linux support was announced before SteamOS was public knowledge, and it all depended on the engine support for Linux.

On Macs you have to deal with the Apple BS, plus the market share, and possibilities, for (high-end) gaming aren't really that great.

Edit: And PC doesn't equal Windows like the title suggest. Yes, a lot of people think that by now, but it is simply wrong. "PC" is not defined by Windows. A PC is simply a Personal Computer, it can run any OS, and still is a PC.
    Now, I am become Death, the Destroyer of worlds.
    ― Robert Oppenheimer
  • Sputnick

Posted:
    Posted:
    Weird topic, "on PC and Linux"? Last time I checked, my Linux runs on a PC as well :P

Anyway, really looking forward to that. Will finally remove the need for me to reboot all the time, and also I expect a slightly higher framerate and much shorter loading times. Let's hope it happens before the game is released...
  • vash63

Posted:
    Posted:
    Can't wait for Linux builds to start coming in! Glad to see it finally getting more support than Mac from developers... It has much better GPU selection and OpenGL Support after all.
  • mwestlake

Posted:
    Glad to finally see Linux getting some support rather than Mac. I've been thinking about doing dual boot with Windows 8 (Or 7 if I can muster up enough money to switch. Next time I should just try a new OS at best buy rather than build a gaming rig with a brand new OS) and Linux.
  • Orinx

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

but as both mac and linux are unix systems after the game is ported to linux it would be a lot easier to make it work on mac.
    Orinx_Signature.png
  • Zulu_Sauer

Posted:
    Edited: by Zulu_Sauer
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Odra:
    [hide]

Runs fine on my Mac hardware.

But the direction that Apple has gone with their high end stuff makes no sense, especially for a gamer. So building Mac support would not be worth the effort. IMO
  • Snowmann

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

amd have hinted at linux suport for mantle so that might be where the support will come from as otherwise they'd have to code for opengl as well.

CryEngine now supports OpenGL, several games have been announced, including Kingdom Deliverance, the mideaval Kickstarter that was presented here.

The question I most want to hear an answer on though, is when we will see a Star Citizen download for Linux :)

• Gimpi

Posted:
    Posted:
    No sense in Mac OS X support when they can just dual boot into Windows 7. It's unnecessary work for CIG. The burden should be on the user, not the developer when there is a dual-boot option.
    Have an Oculus Rift DK1 or DK2? Join the Ring of Independent Free Traders [RIFT] - A casual organization for Rift users.
    Ships: M50, Khartu, F7A-M, Retaliator, Reclaimer, Merchantman, 890 Jump, Idris-P
  • Snowmann

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

No sense in Mac OS X support when they can just dual boot into Windows 7. It's unnecessary work for CIG. The burden should be on the user, not the developer when there is a dual-boot option.

As a Linux user, you can "just" dual boot into Windows too, but seriously - who wants to? :) There is also the question of avoiding the cost and hassle of actually buying a Windows license, and to install and maintain the crap. Depending a bit on what you have to play and not, the reasons for having Windows to play on are getting increasingly smaller. Steam Linux now has more than 500 games and increasing fast, most games that aren't DX10/11 only work very well via Wine, etc. In the coming future there are two games that I must have, Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar, both coming to Linux (SotA already has support in their alpha program), but most other I'm interested in (most of them from Kickstarter), also work splendldly on Linux.
  • Leftcoast

Posted:
    Edited: by Leftcoast
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Upper end Mac's are optimized for far different things than a gaming computer, I have both a Power Mac work station and a windows Gaming rig. If games start supporting Linux I may wind up phasing out windows entirely since my next build will be either a hackintosh or linux machine.

Edit: if I do hackintosh it will be low end only, linux most likely the same unless there's more game support.
  • Victor_Tramp

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Edit: if I do hackintosh it will be low end only, linux most likely the same unless there's more game support.

oh, well with 500+ linux games on Steam, including Civilization 5 (and the upcoming Beyond Earth).. i guess that means soon, eh?

^_^
    Waiting patiently for the Linux version since 2012.
  • Leftcoast

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

oh, well with 500+ linux games on Steam, including Civilization 5 (and the upcoming Beyond Earth).. i guess that means soon, eh?

^_^
    Soon indeed. I forgot steam had loads of linux games.
  • Zulu_Sauer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I disagree. You should not have to install a OS to boot to just to play games and boot back and forth. I alt-tab out of games all the time to do things in photoshop of what ever else.

Years ago I would have liked to see more game support for Mac but Apple has moved their high end stuff to being non-upgradeable hardware, so there is no reason to support games on their limited hardware. IMO