Arena Commander - Production

• MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I am trying to compile a list of ships and their production status. You can see my thread here. Would you be able to confirm a list of ships that will be in the DFM release? Auroroa, 300i, Hornet? More? We can speculate on the forums all day long, but word from the devs is king :-)

I would say that the ones you mention are certainly goals for us, maybe even more. We're really pushing to deliver as many ships as humanly possible at launch but I don't want to promise you anything just yet.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I have no idea what half the stuff you guys talk about in here means, so lets put this simple and easy:

Will I be able to fly in the same manner as I do in Freelancer, with mouse and keys? is it the same or something weird? Love the game, but Im really not at all interested in going to flight school to play a game.

Virtual joystick for mouse was the control mode in Freelancer that I think you are referring to. The answer is yes.

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Edited: by MightyMonkey
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

In early stages of DFM, just how many bind-able keys are we looking at?

Around 100 right now.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    Licensed_Pirate:
    [hide]

Hi Travis. Is there an estimate how many functions have or will need a key binding? Obviously a keyboard will provide enough keys, but players using a HOTAS or Occulus Rift may want a safer way to access functions vital in combat (i.e. safety switches or access to the weapons chamber in boarding situations). Therefore those players would like to see distinct buttons. One way this can be achieved is by supporting the "saitek pro flight switch panel" directly, or other HIDs.

Omen

Same as above, around 100. Keep in mind these are "control actions" so while they may all have direct keybinds they will also be accessible via moves on a hat, coolie, or china switch.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi
    I´m not sure if you are the right address, but may I ask you a question about the maneuvering thrusters?
    The RSI Constellation for example.
    I´m confused because the ship specs say she has 8 of them. What I believe to be insufficient to roll, pitch and yaw, but when I look at her in my hangar I count 12. What I believe to be enough .
    M´I mistaken or are the constellation specs not up to date?
    It is similar with other ships.
    Will the 6 maneuvering thrusters of the Arora (ship specs) or the Mustang even be enough for tow of the tree axis?
    Can you explain how it shall work, or do you know someone how may can?
    Thank you very much.

This would be best for the design thread or in programming addressed to John Pritchett.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

How are weapons being designed/created in relation to ships?

We see the few in the VD store, we've seen the hornet with gatling guns (not in the store), the avenger seems to be missing it's distortion cannons...and of course no missle systems. Commentary would seem to reflect we won't see any of these until the DFM is released... are we likely to see any weapons beyond these @ release or likely we'll be initially limited to those weapons currently available via the VD store/found currently implemented on ships existing in the hangar.

The first goal is to get the base loadouts for the ships all working balanced. This will allow us to test a limited base item set and tune that to where it is fair and fun. Then we can start adding layers of complexity with different items and weapon types.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Will the most typical control features like auto targeting next hostile or auto matching speed and cycling weapons and all that stuff be ready for DFMv1?

Would be nice as I'm playing Freespace 2 right now and getting used to some of the controls again. :)

Depending on the capabilities of your flight computer and targeting computer the functionality you desire can be had. :)
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

To clarify what you guys saw during the DFM Livestream. The mouse was controlling headlook and the keyboard was handling all axis of movement for the ship.

Edited to clarify after very closely re-watching the DF demo video.

Awesome, thanks Travis. I thought I had read that was how it worked but doubted my memory.

Do the class 2 weapons (maybe others as well?) follow the mouselook? It kinda looked that way in the DF demo. I'm hoping the answer is no because that opens up the possibility of a mouse providing an advantage over all other control devices again.

If this is the way it works how would a joystick/HOTAS user get the same function with the same level of control? Zero-order aim control in any form is really bad news for joystick players. A joystick simply can not compete with mouse-aim. I am prepared to delve much deeper into this subject if it will help, I was educated myself over the past couple of months by a SC backer who has an excellent understanding of these things.

Trip

We are currently working on balancing the mouselook driving turrets on the Hornet. It currently does gimbal your gimbal-able guns.

Cheers,
    Travis
    I've got to say that really worries me. How will the Class 2's/4's be controlled by a HOTAS user? I can't see how I can manage pitch, roll, yaw, throttle and still figure out a way to "mouselook" to control the Class 2's/4's. Track IR or the Rift might be a possibility, but I bet those will be less precise than using a mouse. I'd hate for everyone to be driven to mouse/keyboard AGAIN.
    Well bear in mind that on most ships so far the weapon mounts are only moving ~+/- 10degrees on one axis. So you still need to be hot on someones trail to put a bead on them. The more maneuverable ball turret on the Hornet is similar in that after you pass outside the front of your ship you are attempting to land a pretty complex/difficult deflection shot and the time window is pretty limited.

There are lots of different ways you could control these turrets including dedicating CPU power to slaving the turrets to your ships targeting computer.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

With your total control system would we be able to use something like dual joysticks. Seeing as how there will be so many new axis of control two joysticks might be necessary. Like if I wanted to use two joysticks rather than a gamepad?

Yes you could use dual joystick and map one to the ship control and another to head control.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi I just had a couple questions. I've been flying for years and right now i'm playing Planetside 2 atm and I wanted to know if the flight controls will be similar (if not am I able to customize for that sort of play style) for example being able to roll using your mouse button and yawing with "A" and "D".

Also when dogfighting will you be able to turn around, and hover fight an opponent like strafing side to side, ascending and descending, thrust over them and such, instead of doing the traditional dogfighting maneuvers like immelmans, high and low yoyo's in order to get behind them etc. etc.. the only reason im asking this is because it seems that you can since alot of the ships have thrusters in certain places that promotes hovering.

thank you for your time!

Yes you will be able to move in all directions without the need to follow the traditional dogfighting moves.

You will be able to customize your control scheme to configure it the way you want. This may not be immediately available as we want to tune the default controls but it would come online shortly thereafter.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

What are the current planned specs for running the DFM v1? If I wanted to plan on making sure I could run it on "high" (but not ultra) settings with no less than 40fps, what sort of rig would be recommended?

New Haswell i7 arround the 4770k
    16GB RAM @1600MHZ
    GTX 680 or better
    SSD hard drive

Something around that performance level for AMD or Nvidia/Intel.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Just started playing DCS World to dust off my x52pro and spent a good amount of time programming the controller and it got me thinking. Any chance you guys could release the keymapping layout so we could prepare our HOTAS for when the DFM is released?

We will be releasing it in tandem with the DFM but probably not before, sorry. :(
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Will there be a time delay for third person view ?

Also why does the ship look strange when it turns in the 3pv ,like it goes off screen and such? Can that be fix so it's more center. It feels odd to look at.

The camera behavior you describe is a bug (which is actually fixed in latest after we did a revision pass on the cameras) and there will be several camera modes which have built in mechanics to make them less prone to the abuse you are concerned about. This will take time and tuning obviously but yes that is the idea.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    SpaceCitizen:
    [hide]

Dear Team,
    iam planning to play the DFM with 3 Monitors as i was announced that the game will support high spec graphics etc.
    Right now there arent any 3 monitor setup configs in the hangar Module. My question now, are there plans to support such a config in the DFM like 5040x1050 or 5760x1080?

You should be able to set a custom resolution using console commands or even in your user.cfg file. Do a quick search on the forums and if you cannot find it there just look it up for Crysis or CryEngine SDK on Google and it should tell you how to set it manually.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

What are the current planned specs for running the DFM v1? If I wanted to plan on making sure I could run it on "high" (but not ultra) settings with no less than 40fps, what sort of rig would be recommended?

16GB RAM @1600MHZ
    GTX 680 or better
    SSD hard drive

I guess I should've clarified, but is this at 1080p quality? Or what you think we'll need for 4K monitors or a multi-monitor setup?
    Yeah that would be for a 1080p resolution.

For more than that you would probably be looking at SLI for 4k or 3 monitor configuration.

CR for example has a 4k monitor for one screen and he is running dual titans in SLI with an overclocked 4930k and 32GB of RAM. It runs smooth on that but it is probably overkill for what you would need on high settings.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

16GB RAM @1600MHZ
    GTX 680 or better
    SSD hard drive

How would a I5 3570k @4.2ghz with 8gb of 1600mhz ram and a GTX 780 with decent overclock do? At 1080p of course. I have upgrade plans in the future but just for now, how well do you think it would perform? Thanks.

You should be fine depending on the graphics settings you opt for. Ultra would potentially chug sometimes but your GFX card is great and so far at least the game is most taxing on GPU.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

So I have 8gb of Ram, 8 core processor and 12gb of RAM, should I AT LEAST be able to run this on low?

Depending on your graphics card and which processor, yes.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Ahoy!

What detail level would my setup run the DFM smoothly at 1080p?

i7-3770
    8GB RAM 1600 Kingston HyperX
    Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB OC

Thanks!!!

High, potentially ultra.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi there!

Will the cockpit HUD be implemented in version 1 of the dogfighting module? I know I am not alone in being just as excited about the system management and HUD info (such as velocity/vector angle) as about space combat.

Cheers

Yep.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I wonder about the sounds in the DFM, we haven't heared anything about it yet! Hope the sound quality is on par with Elite Dangerous, it's freaking amazing!

We will have sound. :)
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi :D This is my first post at forums so... I'll be clear.
    It's a HOTAS really necessary due to fly correctly?
    I mean, with a Joystick and the keyboard I will be fine? Or its better with a HOTAS?

I also have another question... Do you guys think my PC will be able to run smoothly the module at Medium-high?

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Oc 2GB
    RAM: 8GB

Sry If I do not express as much as I want, but English is not my main language :(

No, HOTAS isn't required to be effective. Most of the time I am just using keyboard and mouse, but that is just what I prefer.

Your computer should be able to run it fine, just not at the highest settings. Your biggest bottleneck will be your graphics card.
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

This is not a troll post. I just want to get that off my chest before I start posting my specs.

Travis. I currently run tri-sli titans @ 1334 core / 7.5ghz memory in 7680x1440P (clocks are thanks to being able to hack the NCP4206 voltage buck controller, and 600W TDP bios) w/ a 5.1 ghz 3930k running 32gb of 2333mhz cas 10 memory (strap 125) Do you think smooth (60fps) ultra is in reach for early DFM iterations?

Yes I do. Nice setup btw! I am jealous! :)
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Earlier in the thread Travis talked about balancing the DFM for different ship types. Will we be able to test different mass (cargo) levels for ships, IE trying to fight with your bay loaded down vs half full vs dumping mass and hauling ass.
    Sorry if someone asked this already.

Cargo is not planned for V1 but you will definitely experience different mass and center of mass changes as parts of your ship are blown off. :)

-Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Dear Travis,
    You seem to be answering lots of questions on PC specs...
    Here's a different twist.

Oculus Rift DK2 has a recommended requirement of a hardware that is capable of running games at 75FPS (at 1080p).
    Can you tell me what kind of rig is expected be required for DFM to run at such high framerates (on 'very high' settings)?

I am currently running a 4770k at 4,2 GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM and a R9 290 (Sapphire TriX, which is overclocked a bit)

In the Hangar Module (Deluxe Hangar with 23 ships visible total - 3 Constellations, 4 Freelancers, 4x 300i series, 4x Hornets, 6x Auroras, 1x Cutlass and 1x Avenger), my framerates often drop below 30 FPS (when a larger number of ships is on screen at the same time). I am playing at 1080p and the Very High settings.

Will the Dogfight Module be optimized better than the Hangar Module, so that my rig will run it at more acceptable framerates? Will my rig run it at framerates that are recommended for the Oculus Rift? I'm thinking of getting me a DK2.
    Or should I start thinking of adding another R9 290 into the rig, for a Crossfire setup?

EDIT: also, any idea on when Mantle support will be integrated (and how much of a performance gain is to be expected)?

Thanks!

Hey Skuripanda,

You will likely not achieve 75 FPS. I don't think that is currently possible running very high settings at 1080p. My rig here at work is almost identical to yours with the exception that I have dual r9's in Xfire and I do not get near 75FPS on very high at 1080p in AC currently.

Yes the DFM update includes optimizations that will affect both the hangar and AC. That said, AC will also be the most intensive thing we've done so far so I would expect general frame rates to be lower despite optimizations. :)

Mantle I have no idea about the gains and it won't be in for quite some time (not a high priority at the moment) so we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi there

Will I be able to play the Alpha of the Dog fighting module on medium or at very least low resolution with the specs below?

Intel Core i3 3.3 Ghz cpu
    4 Gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX650 card

Will probably work but we recently have been generally CPU bound so you would expect to see some hitching with that proc.

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi,

Will all versions of the Hornets be available on the DFM v1? Will we be able to configure them if we have other weapons available in our Hangar?

The first release will not include customization or variants. That will be added soon after though.

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

This is not a troll post. I just want to get that off my chest before I start posting my specs.

Travis. I currently run tri-sli titans @ 1334 core / 7.5ghz memory in 7680x1440P (clocks are thanks to being able to hack the NCP4206 voltage buck controller, and 600W TDP bios) w/ a 5.1 ghz 3930k running 32gb of 2333mhz cas 10 memory (strap 125) Do you think smooth (60fps) ultra is in reach for early DFM iterations?

Yes I do. Nice setup btw! I am jealous! :)
    This brings me to my question.

What minimum specs should I look at when using one of the new OR DK2s at native resolution? Will a GTX770 4GB cut it, or do I need to upgrade?

My current specs are:
    i7-960 at 4.14 GHz
    24GB Ram
    EVGA GTX770 SC 4GB (with a second one in another PC I can pull for SLI)
    Answered in response to another question but I would not expect to achieve 75fps with you setup even with SLI on very high settings. That may not be currently achievable without some insane system that I haven't seen before or may not exist.

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes, I have heard rumors that the Constellation is going to get bigger, if this is true how long is it now?

Not really the right place but here is an answer nonetheless. The Connie isn't so much getting bigger as it is getting reconfigured. The end difference in size shouldn't be much but the layout and exterior details will be changing.

Cheers,
    Travis
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

My Ram/Processor is top of the line, but haven't replaced my video card in quite a while
    GTX580 2gig of video ram
    Not sure how that will handle this sucker.
    Do we have a minimum hardware requirement for DFM yet? i didn't see one

If I were you I would consider upgrading to the 7 series or GTX680 if you want to play on graphics settings above low/medium.

My favorite part of the game is the beauty so personally I like the settings on very high, anything lower feels like an affront. :)
  • MightyMonkey

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

16GB RAM @1600MHZ
    GTX 680 or better
    SSD hard drive

I'm interested to know why you included SSD there. I had done a little research and my understanding was that a SSD would affect load times but not play-ability/frame rate.

Are you talking about Star Citizen being installed to the SSD I guess? Why?

Thanks!
    Because load times suck, are annoying, and immersion breaking. That's all. :)