Why YOU should get the LX over the LN

Dcol

Posted:
Posted: -
If you want a ship to explore/trade or even use it as a limousine, then the LX is the cheapest option for that.

"Why not get the LN and put a jump drive? its insanely better.." I see your argument, but take into consideration that the LN has 2 upgrade spots available whilst the LX has 4. ( pg 12 https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/d5uc8684zn6etr/source/Aurora_brochure.pdf ) This, and the fact that the LX is 'limited' and being offered with LTI for new backers, makes for a worth purchase for EXPLORERS and possibly traders too.

But if you only care about the dogfighting, then choose the LN. or even better, a hornet..

:D
F7CM "Marcello" || Constellation "Seraphim" || P52 Merlin "Karisa" || Cutlass "Lucretius" || Starfarer "Bullatus"
Dcol.jpg
  • Dicefailure

Posted:
    Posted:
    Pretty much, yeah :)
    The Nothing comes.
    ureOlNR.jpg
  • Beowulf

Posted:
    Posted:
    The main issue people have with LX vs LN is that on the Ship Spec page the LN is listed as have 5 upgrade slots.

Personally I suspect that is a mistake and the 2 slots from the brochure is correct, but based on the specs page the LX is a very difficult sell.
    The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.
  • Radtoo

Posted:
    Posted:
    All stats are subject to change.

But I can't imagine that they'll not at least try to meet the roles they intended for the ships. Want a small fighting ship => get the LN. Want exploration / light mercantile => get the LX. Just decide that way. You'll presumably not be on the aurora for a very long time, either way.
  • Dcol

Posted:
    Posted:

The main issue people have with LX vs LN is that on the Ship Spec page the LN is listed as have 5 upgrade slots.

Personally I suspect that is a mistake and the 2 slots from the brochure is correct, but based on the specs page the LX is a very difficult sell.

This is an issue yes. Honestly i was not even thinking about getting the lx if the ln had 5 upgrades. but after reading the brochure, it made me think a bit...
    F7CM "Marcello" || Constellation "Seraphim" || P52 Merlin "Karisa" || Cutlass "Lucretius" || Starfarer "Bullatus"
    Dcol.jpg
  • Thylacine

Posted:
    Posted:
    There is only one argument for the LX: rustique style
  • mammon

Posted:
    Posted:
    That hits the nail on the head, op. I just added an Aurora LX for exactly the reasons you gave.
    MammonLord It's 2014 and you still don't have backup? Get 7.5 GB of free cloud storage: http://bit.ly/onedrivefree
  • Shrike-Alvaron

Posted:
    Posted:
    Even if the LN does have 5 slots, the LX still has some advantages.

1. It's lighter and for its size not insignificantly so, meaning it should be decently more maneuverable and faster to accelerate than the LN.
    2. It has a smaller profile and lower EM/thermal signature, so it's stealthier and harder to pick up on sensors too.
    3. The included jump drive is great for using it as a shuttle and ensures you're always free to move between systems no matter what with the Aurora's supposed instant insurance replacement.
    4. The LX and LN both have the same max power plant, class 2, yet the LN has so much more to spend power on with its two extra weapon slots and class 3 shield. Thus, the LX will be much more flexible with its power supply and allow you to equip more power hungry and thus stronger modules without worry, unlike the LN.

Really, the LN is great if you want to use it as a fighter to compete against 325a's and Avengers, even Hornets. However, its combat focus inherently trades off the versatility of the ship that the LX has. Even if you leave off two weapons on the LN and only equip a class 2 shield, the hull is still heavier and less maneuverable with a bigger signature for little reason.

It seems unlikely to me that the LN truly has 5 upgrade slots anyway; if it does then that means you must believe the maneuvering thruster stats where the ES, CL, and MR all have only 6 thrusters yet the LX has 8. But, we know from Rob that hardpoints cannot be added or removed from a ship, but we also know the LX isn't a new hull, right? Back during its original Aurora LX sale you could buy the upgrade package, but back then the upgrade package was literally just going to be a crate of equipment in game you could fit on your base Aurora, hence why a 350r upgrade WASN'T offered in its original sale. That says the LX is indeed the same hull as the Aurora ES/CL/MR, so there's a contradiction there on the ship stats page that in my mind invalidates the Aurora stats on it entirely.

Also above all the LX looks cooler anyway.
    RSI Aurora LX/Outland Mustang "First Light" | Aegis Avenger [Name Pending] | Origin 350r "Blazing Nova" | Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet "Fearless Talon" | MISC Freelancer "Unbound Seeker" | RSI Constellation "Vagrant Spirit"
  • Waflmlk

Posted:
    Posted:
    No, don't, the less lx are in the universe the more mine will be worth
  • Izl

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very thanks, i didn't know that "Ship specs" were wrong until i saw the brochure :P
    I am going to pledge for an Advanced Starter Package now!
    Imperium Recruitment
  • Star_Hunter

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am sure that this is probably a typo but in the Aurora Brochure on the LN page it has 2 TR2 engines.

Engines: 2 x TR2 (OKB Voskhod Energia IV)

Travel with me, to find a dawn no one has ever seen.
  • vinz99

Posted:
    Posted:
    As some fellow reddit user advised me, if you are interested in the LX and don't much care about the LTI, you can also get the Digital Mercenary Pack + the $5 LX upgrade, thus same content (single player campaign Squadron 42 included) than the LN package (next gen) and for the same price.
  • Nielzsche

Posted:
    Posted:
    I yield, u got me. I swapped out my LN upgrade for a LX upgrade.
    Even if the LN turns out to be the "better" ship, I think the LX will suit my playing style better. Didn't really take that in consideration previously.
  • MenechUK

Posted:
    Posted:
    I bought one because I hate Auroras so tomorrow I can enjoy melting it down to turn it into a Super Hornet, come to think of it, melting down four Auroras would be cooler than melting down one.
    Less than legendary fighter pilot Hiei once said "...Give me a fully loaded Hornet and I'll promise not to crash into an astroid again..."
  • Stalvos

Posted:
    Posted:
    I can't make a decision between any of these ships... that's why I buy them all!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Grrizz

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    The reasons I'm going for an LX over an LN are... the LX is supposed to have a luxury interior, the LNs scoops block the beds line of sight, the LXs smaller engine etc. should produce a lower signature and with the LX being lighter it may be more fuel efficient (speculation at this point) - obviously my use will be for exploration over dog fighting, that's what I got the hornet for ;)
  • KStart

Posted:
    Posted:
    Leather Seats... :)

And you can have a ship with LTI that has a jump drive installed. Good for lazy cheapskates like me. :)
  • Just_Johnny

Posted:
    Posted:

I can't make a decision between any of these ships... that's why I buy them all!

wise decision :D.

• DeanAddigard

Posted:
    Posted:
    So if I wanted to switch out my LN for an LX how would I go about doing that?
    H.P.
  • Inkarnus

Posted:
    Posted:
    Jump drive nuff said
    Dreaming the Ultimate Dream of Humanity
    Come on you Apes do you want to live forever!!!? ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ
    0.jpg
  • Radtoo

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

You can have the entire package refunded with in-store credit ("melt" it, check under "MY RSI"->"My Hangar" at the top of the page, expand the game package, "Exchange for Store Credits"), then pledge for the LX package (you can use store credit when you check out).

Likewise for a LN upgrade, just melt and pledge the LX upgrade.
  • DeanAddigard

Posted:
    Posted:

You can have the entire package refunded with in-store credit ("melt" it, check under "MY RSI"->"My Hangar" at the top of the page, expand the game package, "Exchange for Store Credits"), then pledge for the LX package (you can use store credit when you check out).

Likewise for a LN upgrade, just melt and pledge the LX upgrade.
    What if I wanted to get rid of the Aurora entirely and replace it with another ship? Will I lose alpha/beta access and all the other stuff I had in the package?
    H.P.
  • MasonGrimm

Posted:
    Posted:
    This issue I have a hard time with.

The LN was bought on the assumption that it was the pinnacle of the Aurora class. Now if the LX is indeed better than the LN (and we don't know for sure due to ship specs changing all the time) then I, as a purchaser of the LN, am the victim of a shall game of ship sales.
    ShipSpecs.com
  • Martin_Skyborn

Posted:
    Posted:
    I got both the LN and the LX :D
  • Obsydian

Posted:
    Posted:
    Get em both! :)
  • cdbob

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    Is it worth getting an lx in addition to my 350r, Connie, super Hornet and possibly starfarer?
  • walltar

Posted:
    Posted:
    Actually i melted my LN and got LX ... here is what i think.

Aurora is starter ships, that means it will be useles for me in few days (some may choose to use it sfter that but i doubt there will be many people like that), but i think i will always need some expendable ship for scouting. So i might fight little better in LN but when i get killed i will have to replace my jump engine. But with LX i'll be flying fully stock so when i wake up in hospital i have another LX waiting for me there and i don't have to buy anything.
    oubk8o.jpg
  • Dcol

Posted:
    Posted:

Is it worth getting an lx in addition to my 350r, Connie, super Hornet and possibly starfarer?

depends.. with me, i got it cos MEH and also i might gift it to a friend...

your connie is your all-round/fun ship with friends, 350 is the racer/explorer..? and the super hornetis your dogfighter.

what would you use the lx for? maybe for light trading? exploring if your 350 is racer exclusive?
    Dcol.jpg
  • MoreBoomBoom

Posted:
    Posted:
    The reason for my LX is to complement my other ships. I have a dedicated fighter in the Super Hornet, dedicated bomber in the Gladiator, and a dedicated explorer in the 315p. Those three cover all of my major play styles. I wanted something I could be a little more versatile with though. Something that could potentially have more cargo space. For the price, you can't beat the LX. It has the ability to be taken in just about any direction. Not optimally by any means, but definitely decent at a lot of things. I definitely didn't want to go with the LN. I mean when would I ever pick it over my Super Hornet?
    TE.jpg
  • CTBadger

Posted:
    Posted:

A possibly advantage of the Aurora line would be it is likely the cheapest ship to operate provided you don't get damaged seriously each time out. So if you didn't want to use your Connie or 350R for a short small trade run - you might be better off with the Aurora.
  • Corvus-M104

Posted:
    Posted:
    The Auroras are marked as starter ships, and even though I have other ships, I grabbed an LX with LTI for a couple of reasons.

1) It always pays to have a back up plan!
    A small ship with a jump drive should be able to get me from A-B at minimal cost. (fuel??, docking fees??, departure tax???) LTI means its always there and I should never have to worry about having to work to get a ship no mater what happens in SC universe. I.E. If I don't play the game for a time due to holiday, sickens, love interest, family expansion, etc, and my insurance runs out on a non-LTI ship, if it dies on the first trek out for funds, is it gone? Bank accounts run dry and bad luck happens! Not being an OB/VB, I kind of need to think of these things ...

2) It's versatile!
    To quote an old movie/book, "Fighter pilots make movies, Bomber pilots make history". OK so the LX isn't a bomber, but it can explore, transport & with a good pilot fight or flee in a pickle as is. LN will be a good starting fighter, but until you can afford a jump engine, fleeing might not be an option. I for one look forward to exploring the SC universe and LX will let me do that out of the box, and if I get in a jam, well hopeful the jump drive will help me get out of it .... hopefully.

3) Special jobs
    You never know, there could be special job in the SC universe which will require a small, unobtrusive ship.....

4) Options.
    I can always upgrade it, melt it, gift it or turn in into the new Mustang... hummmm, maybe I should get 2?

Finally the man concedes, realizing that to continue this dialogue would be pointless. And his "soul from out that shadow" that the raven throws on the floor, "Shall be lifted -- Nevermore!"