Pulse Magazine: The SC Community Web Mag

• Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    I bet @CptUnderpants would be willing to do an interview to help slay some myths about the goons.

I bet there'd be plenty of folks interested in reading that!
  • CptUnderpants

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I bet @CptUnderpants would be willing to do an interview to help slay some myths about the goons.

I'd be happy to help.
    CptUnderpants
  • BuySellTrade

Posted:
    Edited: by BuySellTrade
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

I bet there'd be plenty of folks interested in reading that!

I think we've got a good interview for the next issue already. But I'm down for it. I'll need time to do some research though.
    /assassin
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'd be very glad to include a mythbuster article about the Goonrathi, they deserve a bit of positive PR for all their good works. If you're happy to do it pokinatchapunx, I think it would be a great interview for issue #3.
    Have an idea for a Star Citizen article? Send it to starcitizenmagazine@gmail.com!
    feylan.png
  • Kyn_Odin

Posted:
    Posted:
    Congrats again (two homeruns in the span of a few days), you're on fire!

Can't wait to read the Pulse.
    8BDvO9F.jpg
  • Isotope36

Posted:
    Posted:
    Let's not give the Goons anymore presence than we have to. Please.
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited: by Seraph84
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

haters-gonna-hate.gif

No offense, but if you can't handle having the goons around on the forums, where they can't even touch you...

...you may want to consider staying away from the PU entirely.

Like it or not, they are as much a part of the Star Citizen community as you are. Your approval is not required.
  • Isotope36

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

haters-gonna-hate.gif

No offense, but if you can't handle having the goons around on the forums, where they can't even touch you...

Like it or not, they are as much a part of the Star Citizen community as you are. Your approval is not required.
    I dont want anyone to get cancer. I dont want anyone to be hit by a bus. I dont want anyone to be squashed by a speeding train. Lot of things I dont want.

6 years of Eve. Thats all I need to say.
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

haters-gonna-hate.gif

I dont want anyone to get cancer. I dont want anyone to be hit by a bus. I dont want anyone to be squashed by a speeding train. Lot of things I dont want.
    I think I see what's going on here...

MvViDmV.jpg

+_f3851a366c906160540338865899eb77.jpg

Spoiler: Something Awful forum members aren't witches. They can't hurt you with their wishes, fantasies, or trolls.

8055422371_6ed4fc1c1e_o.jpg
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Edited: by Feylan
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Well, I think this shows that it's an issue worth tackling, at least :-)

And thanks Kyn!
    Have an idea for a Star Citizen article? Send it to starcitizenmagazine@gmail.com!
    feylan.png
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Well, I think this shows that it's an issue worth tackling, at least :-)

0.jpg

Seraph: 1
    Tomcat: 0
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Up you go, brilliant little thread.
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks Seraph, although in the spirit of complying with the mods' fairly generous ruling on the magazine's promotion I think we're okay without bumps.

We have over 6000 views now and issue 2 is already on the way with plenty of great content from the community :-)
    feylan.png
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

We have over 6000 views now and issue 2 is already on the way with plenty of great content from the community :-)

Glad to hear it!

P.S.
    I won't bump more it than once per day. But anyway... Mods can't make you get in trouble for my bumpings :D

My opinion is.. I'd rather have threads like THIS up there then another rando LTI thread...

• NMC313

Posted:
    Posted:
    Nice work Feylan
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Cheers Ronin - good to see you around, still junior? ;-)
    feylan.png
  • SkydivingLioness

Posted:
    Feylan, read your personal messages and get back to me.
  • womby

Posted:
    Posted:
    I can hardly wait for the next issue.
    bvcsorF.pngaBIG3k3.png

• Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Replied Madcap, thank you!

Thanks Womby, we're working hard on it :-)
    feylan.png
  • Jethro_E7

Posted:
    Posted:
    Great - but some helpful criticism :

Enjoyed the first edition - eventually. To get the PDF however for my tablet, I had to use my desktop PC to create an account with HP. Then try and download it. It made me buy the thing for free (uh huh...) when I hit PDF, it greyed out. Hm.

Went to Internet Explorer, and using trickery, managed to get the same page up. Much later, eventually got the PDF. I then emailed it to myself, got my tablet, went to my mail and eventually got to read it.

Font was hard to read against some backgrounds, have less going on in the background where there is the next. Odd page sizes. Stick to a standard, they are easier to read. Change the distribution method.

Otherwise - brilliant! Nice editorial work, no spelling errors that I could see, which is unusual for what we mostly see around here. I hope you get the next one up soon, and look forward to what you come up with next!
  • Pistolero

Posted:
    Posted:
    Looks good, look forward to reading it. It does something weird when I open it in Firefox, though. See image.

pulse.png

It's fine in Chrome.
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks for the feedback Echo and Pistolero!

Sorry to hear you guys had trouble with magcloud, I had a couple of problems myself with Firefox using them. We've shifted to a slightly different file format to upload to them, I'm hoping the technical issues will clear up after that. As always, feel free to PM me if you have trouble with it and I'll send you a standard PDF copy.

To reply to your points in detail Echo:
    [hide]

Great - but some helpful criticism :

Font was hard to read against some backgrounds, have less going on in the background where there is the next. Odd page sizes. Stick to a standard, they are easier to read. Change the distribution method.

A couple of people said the same thing about readability, so I've made the background far more neutral for issue 2 while trying to keep the overall design intact. I'll do a couple of QA checks with the other contributors and make sure it's actually improved. If you could let me know what you think when issue 2 comes out, I'd be very grateful!

About the page sizes, we'll be going to a smaller standard size for issue 2. This will reduce the printing costs through magcloud by around 50%, and should look nicer on tablets. Again, anyone with a tablet if you could let me know if issue 2's an improvement that'd be a big help!

As for the distribution method, I went with magcloud because:

- it's free
    - it has stats tracking so we can see how many people view the magazine and whether they lose interest half way through or not (important for improving the quality!)
    - it lets people print out nice physical copies at a reasonable price.
    - it's entirely browser based, so no one has to download any extra software.

If anyone has any suggestions for another distribution method that has a similar feature set, please let me know and I'll look into it :-)
    feylan.png
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

If anyone has any suggestions for another distribution method that has a similar feature set, please let me know

I think it'd be rad if there were the "downloadable" version, but also an "online" version of the mag, so hyperlinks would work.
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

If anyone has any suggestions for another distribution method that has a similar feature set, please let me know

I think it'd be rad if there were the "downloadable" version, but also an "online" version of the mag, so hyperlinks would work.
    Theoretically you can download it by clicking on the down arrow icon in the top-left of the screen when you're reading the magazine on magcloud, but a few people have told me they don't get that icon. I could put up a dropbox link, but then we lose stat tracking entirely and I'd have no way of knowing how many readers we're getting...

I'll do some research and see what I can come up with.
    feylan.png
  • Logante

Posted:
    Posted:
    Nicely put together magazine. ^_^
    aka "Logante"
    @TheRealLogante
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Edited: by Feylan
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Thanks Logante!

So after a 5 minute google I found JooMag, who seem like a fairly nice distributor too. They don't have any printing options that I'm aware of, but they have easily accessible downloads and the magazine's hyperlinks work much better:

Pulse on JooMag

Unfortunately, they feature a lot more advertising.

Let me know what you think - is magcloud better, or do you prefer JooMag?
    feylan.png
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    [hide]

Unfortunately, they feature a lot more advertising.

tumblr_m77um7d6tW1rziwwco1_250.gif
  • womby

Posted:
    Posted:
    Pulse on JooMag looks a lot better on my system, and I didn't notice any advertising at all (except the magazine list on the right). Maybe it's because I have AdBlock. ;)

bvcsorF.pngaBIG3k3.png

• BuySellTrade

Posted:
    Posted:
    @feylan

No ads for me. Adblock and flashblock take care of them all. Also you can zoom in.
    /assassin
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'll use both for the next issue and see which people prefer.
    feylan.png