Pulse Magazine: The SC Community Web Mag

Feylan

Posted:
Edited: by Feylan
Posted: -
Hello All,

Feylan here, Rear Admiral and Star Citizen fan.

A month or so ago I posted a thread to talk about how Star Citizen fans have trouble finding information on Star Citizen. In that thread I mentioned that a magazine might be one way of helping people learn about the game we're all looking forward to, and might help to bring the community together.

I never imagined the response I would get when I posted that thread! So many people contacted me offering their support and help. Thanks to the many very generous, very talented volunteers that gave up their time to help the community, we now have our first issue of Pulse Magazine ready for everyone to enjoy!

Pulse Issue #1
Pulse for Internet Explorer users

Pulse1.jpg

Pulse is hosted on magcloud.com. It will always be free, and we don't make any money from making and distributing it in any way. If you would like, however, you can order a physical copy of the magazine from magcloud.com, which HP will print out and send to you at cost. If anyone has any problems with using magcloud.com, feel free to contact me and I'll send you a copy of the magazine in PDF form.

A very special thanks to @Pokinatchapunx, @Malleovic, @SilverVolpe, @Rod-Serling and @NueBlue for contributing, without them there wouldn't have been a magazine at all approaching Pulse's quality.

Thank you also to everyone else who offered advice, help, and well wishes.

For anyone who reads Pulse, we'd love to hear your feedback! Let us know what you think here, or at starcitizenmagazine@gmail.com. We're also always looking for writers, researchers, artists, designers and editors, so if you're interested let us know!
Have an idea for a Star Citizen article? Send it to starcitizenmagazine@gmail.com!
feylan.png
  • Maul218

Posted:
    Posted:
    Awesome work thank you, will look forward to reading it.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.
    -Waylander

Purple replies are Moderator replies.

• Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks Maul, I'd love to hear what you think of it :-)
    Have an idea for a Star Citizen article? Send it to starcitizenmagazine@gmail.com!
    feylan.png
  • DragoFire

Posted:
    Edited: by DragoFire
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Love it, looks very promising.

You might get a few more members wanting it now they have unsubscribed from Jump-point, due to the lack of information in to lately.
    Just another tragic case of terminal kinetic energy poisoning!
    It's hard to please everyone, but easy to upset everyone!

Banu Merchantman/ Retaliator-B/ F7C-M Super Hornet/ Reclaimer/ Freelancer DUR/ Pirate Terrapin/ Carrack/ Orion/ Vanguard Warden
  • vectorplotter

Posted:
    Posted:
    Well done.

Thank you for your time you worked on this.
    Auctus per commercia.
    CPE
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks guys!

We're not really competing with Jump Point - they're the official source after all - but I hope we can give you interesting news about the community, help to spread information about SC and be a handy place to look up facts about the game.
    feylan.png
  • CptVeritus

Posted:
    Posted:
    + 1
    From out of the darkness. Death and fear.
  • Kalamari

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very nice looking, but I find myself confused as to what the target audience and desired focus of the publication is? It seems initially directed at people who have never heard about Star Citizen, but then directed at people who frequent the forums and just want a run down of the most recent, big discussions. It feels a bit splintered, and editorially and conceptually lacking.

And I don't mean to hate, I think it looks awesome and it's a great idea and kudos to you for taking the initiative to start something like that, really! I think it can develop into something great, if this is to be considered a "first draft" ^^
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks Cpt Veritus again for letting us quote you :-)

Thanks for the feedback Kalamari! We're hoping to help new people interested in Star Citizen, and to cover community content, issues and events. It's a hard balancing act between information for newbies and stuff for people who frequent the forums regularly, and hopefully we'll get better at the balancing act as time goes on.

While the first issue isn't a first draft it's definitely early days for us, and with great feedback like yours we can only get better.

If you're interested, we could always use more editorial help for issue #2 and on ;-)
    feylan.png
  • Maul218

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hi its a nice read, I would be careful on what material is posted though as one of the topics discussed (I won't say which) was moved back to the subscribers forum as it was taken out of context and something that was briefly mentioned in a Jump Point magazine, but as always on a forum was then applied to everything in game.

But great fan made magazine looks really good.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.
    -Waylander

Purple replies are Moderator replies.

• Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Good point Maul, we're very careful to only include publicly available information and that particular article was a tricky one - but I'm fairly confident that we've removed any subscriber-only information.

On a side note, we're also very careful to only use images and other material which we're allowed to, which is one of the bigger reasons we're always looking for artists and fan art. Our title and logo were done by SilverVolpe, for example, and if it wasn't for him we'd be seriously lacking in graphical niceness for everyone.

Thanks for the feedback!
    feylan.png
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Wow! We've just reached 1,000 views! Thanks very much, everybody!
    feylan.png
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    And a little bump for America before I head off for the night.
    feylan.png
  • Shadrach

Posted:
    Posted:
    Fantastic work! Thank you very much. I don't think CIG should be upset, as it does take time (and money) for them to do stuff like this and they haven't been able to put something like this together for the general public, or the mass of pledgers, for that matter. If it weren't for the forums, most of us would have no idea what will be in this game. It really is too complex and too big for a "manual". In fact, each ship with it's variants will probably need a manual. The forums are an ideal way for them to get feedback and perspective on their ongoing work. Necessary, actually. But it is a terrible way to get game info out to the public. And I really would rather they not spend the money on doing that. Pledgers like Feylan, Yoni, Eidolonius, Zuur,...I can't begin to name them all, have done all of us who have invested in this game a great service, and I am certain CIG reads and uses the information compilation these people have done as well.

Thank you so very much for putting so much of your time and heart into this, for our benefit.
    Senior Curmudgeon
  • Obsydian

Posted:
    Posted:
    Excellent job guys!

I look forward to the next few issues.
    LCuO7l9.png
  • Scorpio_Shirica

Posted:
    Posted:
    coeur:
    [hide]

Fantastic work! Thank you very much. I don't think CIG should be upset, as it does take time (and money) for them to do stuff like this and they haven't been able to put something like this together for the general public, or the mass of pledgers, for that matter. If it weren't for the forums, most of us would have no idea what will be in this game. It really is too complex and too big for a "manual". In fact, each ship with it's variants will probably need a manual. The forums are an ideal way for them to get feedback and perspective on their ongoing work. Necessary, actually. But it is a terrible way to get game info out to the public. And I really would rather they not spend the money on doing that. Pledgers like Feylan, Yoni, Eidolonius, Zuur,...I can't begin to name them all, have done all of us who have invested in this game a great service, and I am certain CIG reads and uses the information compilation these people have done as well.

Thank you so very much for putting so much of your time and heart into this, for our benefit.

Totes agree with everything said here.
    Scorpio_Shirica_Signature.png
  • Lone-Star

Posted:
    Posted:
    I haven't read it yet so don't know if it's already in or talked about, but what about in each issue you highlight an organization. Maybe contact them and ask for a write up describing who they are and what they do. Or even do it like a classifieds section where Orgs. can post a short recruitment ad.
    photo MLSCbanner_zpsa09a2033.jpg
  • Bigbadabum

Posted:
    Posted:
    Wow, just amazing, thank you!
    banner-r.pngbanner-l.png
  • BuySellTrade

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I haven't read it yet so don't know if it's already in or talked about, but what about in each issue you highlight an organization. Maybe contact them and ask for a write up describing who they are and what they do. Or even do it like a classifieds section where Orgs. can post a short recruitment ad.

I like the org write up idea. The mag could get pretty big if we had a classified section though. Not sure we have the time/crew to manage that. I'm going to try and do a section for meet-ups in the next one though.
    /assassin
  • A-Daedalus

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very good work, I like the writeup for the org idea. Possibly have the introduction to SC article that highlights game mechanics and confirmed information for newer citizens and then more community based articles. The interviews are a nice touch that will help us get to know our fellow citizens. I'd also take a look at the fan fiction forum, there could be a weekly short story column or a blurb about some of the physical goods people have created.

+1 MVP
    Cleaning up the Galaxies' messes for the past 30 years.

~ Roger Wilco
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    You've really got the MVP game on lock lately, Feylan!

Well done on the magazine, to everyone involved.
  • mammon

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very nice, keep it up!

Mammon Click to join ➜ TEST

• Jkarain

Posted:
    Posted:
    Excellent stuff, well done mate.
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme | CPU: Intel i7 6700 plus H100i
    Bud6Bta.png
  • Boraxx

Posted:
    Posted:
    Awesome work +1 for MVP

Purple replies are Moderator replies. click for forum rules
    boraxx-sig1.png

• womby

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

How about for an organisation to be featured, they have to have an article (fan fiction/useful information/etc.) accepted?
    That should keep the input flowing.
    bvcsorF.pngaBIG3k3.png

• Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thank you very much for the kind words coeur-de-fer!

Now is probably a good time to remind everyone that it's not just me though, Pokinatchapunx, Malleovic, SilverVolpe, Rod-Serling and NueBlue worked just as hard to make Pulse :-)

Thanks Obsydian, Lonestar, Bigbadabum, Roger, Seraph, Mammon, Jkarain, Womby and Boraxx too!

@Boraxx, the thread seems to have fallen into the Fan Art section, if you have a little time would you mind popping it back into General Chat? The main focus for the magazine is giving information to new pledgers and covering community topics, so it is probably more relevant in GC :-)
    feylan.png
  • BuySellTrade

Posted:
    Edited: by BuySellTrade
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Yeah, this is definitely not fan art & fiction. There's no fan art or fiction in it. (Yet.)
    /assassin
  • Seraph84

On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited: by Seraph84
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Yeah, it's not fiction, far as I can tell it's more like "fan-collected facts and fan opinion"..

almost like a journal. Magazine seems to be selling it short.
  • BuySellTrade

Posted:
    Posted:
    Next issue we're going to do a listing for meet-ups. If anybody wants their meet-ups listed PM me the following:

State: (if applicable)
    City:
    Venue:
    Date:
    Time:
    /assassin
  • BuySellTrade

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Yeah, it's not fiction, far as I can tell it's more like "fan-collected facts and fan opinion"..

Good point. I think calling it a magazine is fine though.
    /assassin
  • Feylan

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Thanks Seraph! Maybe when we start including political commentaries I'll upgrade the rating ;-)

Have you given any thought to promoting Pitchfork? If you've got the time maybe I could do an email interview with you and Sailor about it, or the Bengal assault.
    feylan.png