Alexander-class Advanced Warfare Destroyer - WIP Thread

Santobell

Posted:
Edited: by Santobell
Posted: -
Alexander Advanced Weapons Class Destroyer.
Continuing On Spectrum as of April 10th 2017 in the Modders #Sub LINK

With the closure of the current forum system upon us the Alexander project has migrated to Spectrum and I cordially invite you all to come and join me there, have your say, chat, or just drop a like! I look forward to another year of progress and co-operation with the community of this amazing project!

For more information please follow the link above or as always feel free to message me directly or hit me up in game!

Cheers as always mates!

Keenan (Santobell)

December:
Hangar pass through V1 and additional cleanup and hull work.
untitled_45_by_santobell-darqlhm.jpg
November:
Main body updates and cannon cleanup/changes.
nov2016_8_by_santobell-danc20p.jpg

untitled_17_by_santobell-daox3r8.jpg

September:
Brings us to one of the last detail passes, this time round we are focusing on small details, fixes, cleaning of older mesh parts and replacing some of the internal areas and generally bringing the mesh up to date.
untitled_516_by_santobell-dai9uw1.jpg

Further details start on page 130.

Update July 2016:

Sales Poster
sales_poster_by_santobell-daaagfb.jpg

Hull updates continue as it's cleaned detailed and separated ready for Cryengine.
untitled_495_by_santobell-daa6s5c.jpg

I'd also like to welcome Teller onto the project, Teller has created many of our favorite YouTube Videos for SC ships and is graciously providing his talent and time on the ships internals along with CryEngine tech knowledge going forward!

2_by_santobell-da8uss8.png

Update June 2016:

untitled_482_by_santobell-da66rbu.jpg

Latest Test render showing many hull feature changes and updates to save people sifting through the entire thread.

Update Preview in 4K:

xmasposter_381_by_santobell-d9kvojh.jpg
4K Link

Some for Cinamatic positioning:
xmasposter_382_by_santobell-d9kvral.jpg
4K Link

xmasposter_383_by_santobell-d9kvy3n.jpg
4K Link

----UPDATE----
Teller Flyby
0.jpg

----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
Latest Renders
untitled_318_by_santobell-d9bxe1z.jpg
untitled_317_by_santobell-d9bxe0w.jpg
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
New rear engine system.
untitled_192_by_santobell-d92dqip.jpg
untitled_194_by_santobell-d92lvy0.jpg
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
2D Side Scroller early preview.
2d_scroller_by_santobell-d8zdt4c.png
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
Particle Cannon.
untitled_178_by_santobell-d91jt69.jpg
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
Ship Buster Rail Cannon.
untitled_185_by_santobell-d91wzy7.jpg
----UPDATE----

Forward sensor and shield pods, forward armor and reverse thruster update.
untitled_63_by_santobell-d8qrf0t.jpg
Link
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
Hull cleanup and minor extension/changes, new manned anti fighter turrets added.
66_by_santobell-d8rbm8i.jpg
4K Link
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
Latest render including the (finally installed) Sensor covers to the sides of the bridge and the VIP/Captain yacht Hangar.
untitled_30_by_santobell-d8p11hh.jpg
Link
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
Blue Prints are cool!
blueprint_by_santobell-d8mfgxa.jpg
Large Link
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
Latest external renders compiled for easy viewing more on the last page!
external4k02_by_santobell-d8id4oq.png
4K Link
profile_by_santobell-d8fz5cd.jpg
Massive Link
----UPDATE----

----UPDATE----
High detail pass on the bridge section is about 60% done here is a closer look.
bridgepass2_10_by_santobell-d86hpfr.png
2K Link
bridgepass2_12_by_santobell-d86hvk2.png
2K Link
bridgepass2_11_by_santobell-d86hq1x.png
2K Link
bridgepass2_09_by_santobell-d86hpdv.png
2K Link
bridgepass2_16_by_santobell-d86nqft.png
2K Link
bridgepass2_17_by_santobell-d86nqga.png
2K Link
----UPDATE----

I have removed the older images at this time due to post size restrictions, I'll be making timeline post shortly for anyone interested in where the ship came from to where it is now shortly.
9QGzQSP.gif
  • Depresso

Posted:
    Posted:
    Looks like you put a lot of work into it already. A real pity you could not finish it in time for the competition, but don't give up. If it is as good as I think it will be they might include it at some point after launch. I personally would not mind seeing this ship in the PU.
  • Kenetor

Posted:
    Posted:
    is this some sort of joke? you know you had to make a gun first right?

give your self a rest for a bit and then join in the brief if it is made public.

even if my team doesnt get through im hoping to follow along and build my ship to go with it.

OR

you carry on and finish yourship over the next year to the highest quality and submit it to the system they will set up for fan designs.

as for the design the engines seem a tad on the small and flimsy side for a ship that big.
    Imperium Recruitment
  • Kiwi

Posted:
    Posted:
    Cool looking ship. It is a real shame that you didn't read the rules and make a gun.
    I feel the same way as Kenetor and if I don't get in the top 16 I will follow along anyway and build my own ship.
    You should do the same.
    I565Nu5.jpg
  • Pontus-Swe

Posted:
    Posted:
    i like the ship. It looks realy good :)

Looking forvard to your next up date :)
    Imperium Rec  <center><a></a>Let the Karolinerna march agine aginst the new enamys in the world.</center> </div></body></html>
  • Oroborus83

Posted:
    Posted:
    Too many flat planes/straight lines, things that stick out and look strange to me. I think if you smoothed things out and made things more uniform, rather than just standalone pieces smashed together, I think it would look much better. Keep on truckin'
  • HNIC

Posted:
    Posted:
    CIG should still take other great work like this, improve on them for future ship releases. Would be a crime if they didnt.
  • Agent_Marshal

Posted:
    Posted:
    As I've said, the imagination, creativity, and talent of this community never ceases to amaze me. Thank you for sharing your ungodly talent with us as it makes my time on these forums well spent. I really enjoy seeing the brainchildren of all the talented artists here.

Keep it up! I wanna see this ship in game!
    jTT0hOc.png?1
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    There is such a long way to go before it's even close to ready most of the parts are detail-less or unfinished half are just floating at this point not even connected but slowly slowly it'll come together smooth out a bit and kick some ass well hopefully.

I'm concentrating on my fighter design at the moment you can find the wip here:
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/93400/new-ship-i-ve-been-working-on#latest

I add stuff there pretty much daily. or over in the Bell ANZAC thread in modding.

Thank you for your comments and support/critique.
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • Anrchist

Posted:
    Posted:
    If you plan to continue working on this, please keep us updated, very nice concept, looks great.
    You don't go to war to die for your country, You go to make them die for their's.

Hate Your Fear - Fear Your Hate

• Dago

Posted:
    Posted:
    I love the aesthetic! It looks like it fits in with all of the other ship designs CIG has rolled out, i would love to fly that beauty one day O.O
    krt_banner.jpg
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    This is the original concept model I had made for the railguns. Which I would then use on the Destroyer, however in light of the late entry I have scrapped this design (as totally unfinished as it is) and I am working on a simpler rail more complex housing and mount/magazine one I'll post some images of the new railgun once I'm closer to a completed model.

I did have a question if anyone would like to chime in for me? That is should I, have the guns built inside the ship and fire through the bow or have them sort of drop down and or open out of the bottom of the ship as part of the change/transformation to the combat mode that is planned?

railgun.jpg
    the red are Capacitors in case anyone wondered the cylinders on the sides are Magazines and mount housings and then the hole hing would be covered but never got that far, the detail work has also not been done so yeah it's plain and edgy etc.

@Steve - Sure I have no problem with keeping updates, I'll be popping future ones on my Modding page though
    here:
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/96380/bell-anzac-industries-a-wip-thread-for-my-ship-designs#latest

@Dago - Cheers matey I like to hear that to others as well it feels like it fits in, it's surprisingly hard to make something new yet fit with something old without become a mimic. I'm happy I got close, I've started work on the Alaris variants finally so I should hopefully get to put some real time into the Destroyer soon.
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • 2good4hisowngood

Posted:
    Posted:
    I would bring the outboard engines in closer and cant them forward. Give it a pulling look.

My biggest thing I'm going to be looking for in selecting my ship is hangar capacity, and while it looks like your ship has given over any hangar space in favor of a large missile arsenal, if you could find space for a single man fighter to land it would greatly increase the leathality and give it a wider threat spectrum because now it could launch a fighter to counter bombers, or it might have a gladiator in the bay which could be stealthed and slip past an enemy fleet while the destroyer is engaged.

I'd also suggest rearward facing class 5 turrets mounted so that fighters can't sit right behind the engine and disable it without a fight.

For your railguns it honestly depends on balancing issues, making them to where they drop down and can track makes them a class 6 or 8 depending on size and dps, and fixed internal makes them a class 7. I think 7s will have the highest dps, but you have no maneuverability while firing. I'd go with a single class 8 dual class 7s or 4 class 6s. Then you say for the 8 or 7s that the ship is pretty much built around them, that's their main focus (anti capital) or if you go with the 4x6s you say it is a multirole ship that can hold its own in a cap fight, while focusing on midsized and small capitals while the larger ships, or those more heavily given over to larger guns focus on the bigger capitals.

But if you go with the internals, make viewports inside the ship so that you can be running down the main corridor and see the guns firing and cycling in new shells. Like the floor is clear over the guns and they are firing and like under the floor there is a ton of movement as it all gets ready for the next shot. Like maybe the back third moves backwards and cyles in the next shell like a bolt of a firearm and you see the projectile, while from the front plasma flows backwards over the barrel rapidly cooling it.
    Original Backer
  • Zarmageddon

Posted:
    Posted:
    Not to be an a**, but this thread should be in the modding forum. The TNGS forum is strictly for the competition, not to showcase whatever work irrelevant to the competition.

Also, you do realize the entry for the competition is for a gun, right?
    source.gifgiphy.gif
  • Kiwi

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Not to be an a**, but this thread should be in the modding forum. The TNGS forum is strictly for the competition, not to showcase whatever work irrelevant to the competition.

Also, you do realize the entry for the competition is for a gun, right?

I think he is aware of this but choosing to ignore it and he is not alone as others are doing the same.
    He needs to ask the mod to move it to where it belongs in the modding forum.
    I565Nu5.jpg
  • Toast

Posted:
    Posted:
    Moving to the modding subforum, as it is admitted that it was not entered into the competition.

OP - if you disagree, message me and we can discuss if you believe this should still be in TNGS subforum. No guarantees on moving it back, but we can at least talk if you have your reasons.
    Anything that I post as a moderator will appear in purple or orange. Otherwise, I'm posting as a backer, like you. I'm not part of the ship stats team, so I don't have answers to those!
  • BloodDragon

Posted:
    Posted:
    Bookmarked! Hope to see more of this project! :D
    FinalDragShipHFCsig_zps91b4106f.jpg
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    Allgood no problem with the move considering that though the project was started for TNGS my rail gun was no where near done by the comps closure, that hasn't stopped me working on it still so above I posted my original concept which I wasn't happy with and well never finished in time, since then it has evolved it's well I think it's looking pretty neat now, but I'll let you guys be the judge.

Top view of the rails with the Ammo hopper/box
    RAILGUN2.jpg

Belly view of the rails and heat sink area and mounts.
    RAILGUN2_2.jpg
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • 2good4hisowngood

Posted:
    Posted:
    If you do plan on making them class 7 (internal spinal mounted) Make them big and beefy, Look at the A-10 Warthog, the ship was built around the gun. The whole purpose of the ship is to get that gun on target and keep it there so it can do its dirty work.

You could add coils around the barrel to give it that beefy look (Railguns use magnetized coils to operate) It would also be cool (though I doubt possible) if they gave off a slight emp burst when fired, screwing with boarder's equipment while your crew uses things like the crossbow and other weapons that wouldn't be affected by magnetic buildups. But with an internal gun, let the players see it, and feel like that is the main part of the ship, perhaps firing the gun just to see it articulate.

I've got to reiterate my previous suggestion that you have some sort of plasma flow over the barrels after each shot to add to the effect of this massively powerful gun that uses tons of energy, and has high heat build up, all to hurl a huge tungston slug through the depths of space to crash through an enemy's shields and punch through their armor disemboweling the ship. Otherwise without massive articulation and other effects it is just a vanilla mass driver.
    Original Backer
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    @2good - " (Railguns use magnetized coils to operate)" That's a Gauss gun or coil gun a rail gun uses magnetized rails to launch an armature or uses it to travel a carriage or sabot (Sa'bow) to imply the kinetic force at the end of the rails. The rails need cooling however so I should do my level best work some kind of liquid coolant system or coolant system to the barrels.

I agree having the gun inside the ship would let the players walk around them and see them charge and fire which would be awesome.
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • 2good4hisowngood

Posted:
    Posted:
    You are completely right, usually they all get lumped in together. At least you don't seem to be one of those people who seems to think railguns should shoot super fast like a machine gun.

Couple more thoughts:

You might want to replace the radar bubbles on top of the bridge with something else, it gives the ship a Star Destroyer look as is.

The missile silos size and gunnery lifeboats might want to be switched, it looks like you are launching icbms and crew can barely crawl through those hatches. I'd go with more, smaller silos (canted forward 45 degrees) and fewer, larger lifepods. Also the gunnery stations probably shouldn't be at the front which is going to get hit first in an engagement. The ship would effectively be impotent after taking a few rounds to the bow (at least realistically, ingame it might not matter as much where you get hit).

And like I said earlier, gotta have a small hangar if at all possible, I love your ship and would love having one in the final game, but only if I can make a mad dash for my captain's hornet to escape at the last moment.
    Original Backer
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    It does have a captains yacht stowed under the bridge in the similar way to the Merlin in the constellation.

I like the idea of changing the silos to canted forward, this gives it a shorter launch field around the ship meaning it's able to fire the missiles while in close to other friendly capitals without a lot of fuss or mess or accidental collateral damage.

It's a raise bridge design which I like but I also now have to figure in a connecting system from the bridge to the main ship as well otherwise I may drop the bridge to the hull and offset it like a traditional carrier this would free up deck space for a true hangar.. That said I don't want it carrying many fighters it's not a carrier that's the Bengals job so maybe two full sized plus the captains yacht it's really so early in the design I'm open and flexible to just about any suggestions at this point (and happy for them, the more suggestions the more the ship comes together).

Here is a draft of a coolant system for the barrels (which have also been extended).
    RAILGUN2_3.jpg

The loop coolant tubing at the front gives space for recoil, and the loose at the rear will be properly piped in a mount cannon either to a base or pump system etc but I wanted to see what the piping would look like.

I'm also going to extend the rear and add more capacitors.
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • 2good4hisowngood

Posted:
    Posted:
    I think this comes later, but I'd add red lights along it to show charging, then if you did something like blue plasma it would add some cool color effects.

What I was saying about the fighter is it could be like the captain's yacht, or it could have like a single gladiator which players could stealth coat and drop off the back of the ship, then unnoticed while the destroyer is being engaged it could slip by and bomb the enemy targets. At the very least you could drop a hornet in to give it some anti fighter support.
    Original Backer
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    A semi coloured low pass render of the cannon which now has (as you can see) a fair bit more detail.
    The bright green areas are highlighted to show the path of the coolant.
    RAILGUN2_4.jpg
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • 2good4hisowngood

Posted:
    Edited: by 2good4hisowngood
    Posted:
    Edited:
    What I was saying is just have it flush plasma over the whole assembly and out into space. You'll be on the deck and see it fire then plasma rapidly flush over it towards the bow. It would also give it a cool blue flash effect when viewed from outside, but as the plasma comes after the round by the time you see the flash the round has struck its mark.

Like larger ships are standing off firing at one another while this one barrels through, plasma flashing out the front and flowing over the very front most part.

Once again, thats if the engine supports it, if not then this post is irrelevant, and keep up the good work. Also it looks like the piping doesn't form a circuit which it needs to pump cold plasma to the tip and hot plasma back, otherwise it is just pressurized.

edit: maybe have those back capacitors that are lined up with the gun lift up when charged, or stay lit and splayed like a mohawk as an energy indicator. Also instead of the square on top you could do dual drum mags that alternate pulling rounds.
    Original Backer
  • Jal

Posted:
    Posted:
    That's a big ship. You'll be working on it for awhile.
    Jal Calan
    Major
    Cossack Legion
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    Twin guns connected to the power regulator and the battery pack which will in tern be connected to the ships reactor which will then be connected to the Engines and to sub systems relays on each deck, I intend to complete the interior and then overlay the shell and work the systems back in deck by deck.

RAILGUN2_5.jpg
    RAILGUN2_6.jpg
    RAILGUN2_7.jpg
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    Rails extended once again, larger coolant tanks on the barrels, waste/recycle piping added, Shopes twin reactors and fuel tanks also added.
    RAILGUN2_8.jpg
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • 2good4hisowngood

Posted:
    Posted:
    Just remember with the gun, it has to be able to fit in other ships. Once finished I'd cut it and make it a single gun just for the sake of other ships.
    Original Backer
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'll be mounting the rail gun on the fighter too so there will be a smaller scaled down version.

As I mentioned in my other thread more pics soon as I'm almost happy with some of the work done so I'll post some stuff shortly, in the mean time thank you for all the comments and suggestions.
    9QGzQSP.gif
  • Santobell

Posted:
    Posted:
    Quick update.

Hangar (with temp textures and lighting) more detail to be added.
    SHIPSBRIDGE_hangar.jpg" />
    9QGzQSP.gif