Persistent Universe - Design

wcloaf

Developer

Posted:
Posted: -
Greetings Citizens,
This thread is for asking questions about the Star Citizen persistent universe’s design. Members of the team will frequent this thread and answer your questions when possible. User questions will be deleted after one week to create a readable question-and-answer archive.
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    LobsterTail:
    [hide]

How will names be handled in the PU? Will we be able to have the same names (for instance Jack) and have our characters be distinguished by an 'under-the-hood' serial number or will all the character names be unique?

Best Regards,
    Lobster Tail

Yes, you can have the same name as someone else...at least your displayed name. See here for more information:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12960-Update-On-Naming-System
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Will we be able to board every Ship and Station in the Universe? Which exceptions would be made to boarding Ships/Stations and how would these be made?

For ships, the ship you wish to board must have a compatible docking door (which for now is just the circle door). As for space stations, we're still working on the details.
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    ThornX1:
    [hide]

On Conflicting Statements - Manual Takeoffs and Landings???

Regarding our ability to experience and enjoy manual takeoffs and landings

I've asked this question in a number of "Ask the Dev" and "Ask Chris" threads, and maybe I can get this conflicting information answered here. I like this forums reorg, which appears to allow various talent to respond, rather than just named individuals... good move. Still hopeful for getting this important feature clarified. Here goes... (again)

[hide]

[hide]

Hello

1 Is there any hunger on the character, so my character need to buy some food somewhere?
    2 Will it be a AI on the spaceships you can give commands through voice?
    3 Can i fully operate landing and docking without AI and will it be possible to destroy landing gear upon landing?
    4 Will it be a vehicle like a bike on the spaceship if the ship need to do a crashland on a planet far away from any town/city and have to travel to get repair parts?

1 Not planning on requiring food.
    2 Not sure yet.
    3 Landing will start out as a cut scene in most (if not all) cases.
    4 Can't land outside of the existing landing zones at this time.
    Team CIG,

Regarding # 3 above from Rob, Nate said something similar and has not responded to the same question. That being that in the Ep 36 live event, Chris Roberts said repeatedly @ 17:45 into the video, that manual landings are the norm. Every game in history can just sit you in a cockpit and have you "blink or cutscene" into "mid-flight", so I can't imagine that this game would do that to us, not allow us to use our maneuvering thrusters to raise and lower gear, land and take off, and punch out or touch down. That would be a huge miss.

Chris Roberts repeatedly said that this game would be better than that, that, per his quote below:

WINGMANS HANGAR:

Episode 36
    Reference 17 minutes 45 seconds

... you'll definitely have the option to always land manually.

...Chris Roberts

... stated a number of times during that live event session.

Can someone please answer what is going on between these disconnects on a major feature? Did we since backtrack from Chris' emphatic and assertive statements which he made for good reason from a design and game experience standpoint (sic. Vision)?

We need to be able to experience the following - climb in, engines up, gear up, lift off, punch out...

0.jpg
    In the video, CR is referring specifically to landing on a carrier. Rob's answer is more geared toward landing on a planet. The reason landing on a planet won't be manual (for now), is that we are not building out the entire planet for you to explore. However, we'd like to eventually change that as a future update after the launch of the game. Hope that clears things up.
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Amatin:
    [hide]

About the persistent universe, I imagine that there will be many people that you meet. Could, by any chance, a really cool trader AI you met on Terra could become your co-pilot to run trading ops with you? That'd be cool to give AI characters a lot of value and meaning the the PU. Space gets lonely out there
    -Ballistic

Well, you'll be able to hire an AI to fly with you. But making an AI buddy is not currently in the plan. ;)
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I've been wondering how the Hangar Module will translate into the final game.

Will you move functionality towards other rooms, buildings, stations etc? I do appreciate all the fun stuff you guys put into our Hangars atm, but I have a hard time believing that people in the future would have fish-tanks, beds and trophy racks in their garage ;)

I've gathered that you want to make the Hangar sort of our personal space (in space!), but how does that fit with the PU where we will likely change locations very often? Wouldn't a distinction between Hangars (semi-public places to park your ships while on the planet/station) - maybe instanced similar to how SW:TOR does it - and Housing (your actual personalised Home) make more sense?

Clarification would be much appreciated

We're already working on a system that will expand the hangar into different rooms, which will allow us to move the fish tank and what not out of the hangar proper. Basically, there will be a hallway that leads out of the hangar, and from there you'll be able to enter various rooms that will be customizable by you.

The PU will also allow you to buy/rent personal space outside of the hangar...like an apartment in a high-rise building or something. Additionally, you can have any number of them on various planets, but each one carries a cost obviously.
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Apologies if this question is in the wrong section

When it comes to player bounty hunting, do we only have the option to kill the target? Or will there be the option of taking the target dead OR alive?

If you can take them alive, what steps are being taken to prevent the target from logging offline/dcing to prevent the target from capturing them?

The bounty will specify whether you're allowed to kill the target or not. As for combat logging, we have not made any final decisions on this yet. One possibility is that if a player logs off during combat (or any situation that we deem "not safe"), their character will remain in the game for a short duration before autopiloting back to their home base. So during that time before the autopilot kicks in, they become fair game. Again, this is not a final decision....it's obviously a delicate matter that we need to handle carefully. Losing connection legitimately versus purposely logging off to avoid conflict being the main contention.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

What is the maximum number of players that will be permitted in an organization? EVE online has an upper limit of 6300 people in a single corporation. Originally it was 1300 before CCP released a skill to enable groups beyond that size, and more than one group exceeded that size.

I don't know but some web tools for setting up groups are coming really soon from what I hear. So you will be able to experiment with that. The fact is it will probably take some real testing in the living universe to get final numbers on this. The truth is that right now we don't know what sizes of groups are going to be fun and effective in our game.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Since Marijuana is one of the oldest naturally occuring plants found on Earth, and the contemporary uses of cannabis are as a recreational or medicinal drug, and as part of religious or spiritual rites; with the earliest recorded uses dated from the 3 Millenium BC, in all corners of the world.. (The term Ganja acutally comes Sanskrit ganjika for instance)

Will Earth produce Marijuana for export/growth to/on other colonies :)
    Cause I really want to hotbox my Hornet
    Plus We need Rastas in space...If only So space Bob Marley has a chance to exist

Surely Skelton has thought of this...lol

In the year enlightened year 2942 all weed is legal, but stoner culture is illegal for anyone over the age of 24. This includes marijuana leaf clothing, laughing or reacting to random occurrences of the number 420 with undue enthusiasm, and saying 'blaze it'. This rule is strictly enforced by members of the advocacy who are often seen harassing balding people in space flip flops.*

*Statement may not accurately reflect the real design of Star Citizen.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi Ben,

I was wondering about the bounty hunting system and a thought crossed my mind, 'Will there be two bounty listings'?
    i.e; One for the legitimate and Sanctioned bounty hunters, privateers, soilders of fortune or simply opportunistic citizens, based on the crimes committed by the people listed.
    Conversely a Blackmarket bounty listing put up by the pirates and wrong doer's themselves to hire Assassins, merc's or just other pirates to eliminate people for whatever reason they see fit.

It just seems weird that you might see yourself on the same list you are hunting, especially if you're attempting to stay on the side of the law.

Something like this will probably happen. If it goes the way I'm thinking, you would have one board for legit contracts, and everything illegitimate has to go through back channels. That means knowing the right people, hanging out at the right kind of bars, following that clue or rumor to find that millionaire offering a hit contract or that shady network that aggregates such information.

Still up in the air though.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi anyone,

Has their been any progress you can share with us abouts NPCs (both crews and wingmen), how they would affect profitability (even rough estimates would do :3) or anything ?

Actually I still don't know. There will be a contract system that both players and major organizations can make use of. Most Ad Hoc teams and crew will probably go through this. But as far as your long term stable of guys I have no idea. That entire system has not been hammered out yet. So instead of answering your questions, here is a link to something cool: Kung Fury
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I have a question about character death. We know that there will be a small memorial cinematic, but will it be possible to further memorialise characters after they are dead, through means of say a memorial wall in your hanger, displaying your former PC and perhaps fallen NPC crewmates as well as a memorial wall in a corporate hanger, allowing guild mates to memorialise each other and hold funeral services.

To summarise (before this turns into a suggestion post) are any features planned to allow a character death to have a more lasting impact on the world, or is it just a minor inconvenience that you have to reroll as a beneficiery.

This is not designed yet but I think there is some pretty strong hope that there will be some ability to do this. A few rays of hope:

1. I think there will probably lots of creative ways to use the built in game systems to memorialize fallen comrades etc that people will come up with.

2. There may end up being character histories that are part of the rep system. Like this guy fought in the battle of Snack where he was severely wounded by a Frito. He shot down a Carrier class bag of Sour Patch Kids weighing 1.9 lbs and served two tours with the elite Funyuns brigade before being dishonorably discharged and convicted of smuggling Good & Plenties. He lived out the rest of his days in candy mines of Mars mining for yellow 5 until he died of a shrunken urban legend.

3. You will probably be able to keep any medals that a character earns and display them some how. No one has said that specifically, but it makes sense.

4. Chris had a funeral service in his game all the way back in Wing Commander. He will probably one up that. If Wing Commander had continued after your character had died he probably would have had some kind of memorial all the way back then. He is big on stuff like that.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Mushroom_C1oud:
    [hide]

Hello design team,

I was hoping to glimpse some information on what ideas you guys had for medicine in Star Citizen? Is there going to be medicine for ground combat? What are the medical bays going to be like? Large or small like a human sized capsule, lots of equipment or all-in-one system, medical staff or robots?

I would love to see a ton of detail for medical but understand that it's a big universe and there's higher priorities.

I'll give a little shout out to my thread over in Game Ideas: [Idea] Medical Supplies

I have literally never heard anyone even mention the medical system yet. I know there is some plan for a medical room on some capital ships and everyone knows you are supposed to wake up in a hospital after getting mostly dead, but I have not heard anything about how it will actually work.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

With all the talk about huge cargo hauler, the possibility of massive profit margin for a simple trade run become evident. Will doing simple missions become less attractive once you get in that bulk hauling business?

Huh. I just found out about this and Imma look into it. Please hold.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Chris Roberts has said that one of the big surprises he's encountered from the community is just how many of us want to focus on exploration. As a result, he has said you are creating more content for explorers. Yay! But:

What's a rough estimate as to how many jump points, new systems, derelict ships/stations, lost worlds, etc will be created and hidden in the persistent universe for us to find?

Let's say the game has 500,000 players on launch (a somewhat conservative estimate, as we're already at 350,000 and CIG wants millions of players, ultimately). How many hidden jump points/derelicts/secrets do you put in place? 10? 50? 100? 1000? Even 50 would be a massive amount of work, creating all those systems and content... and yet, if even one quarter of the player base (another conservative estimate) wants to do exploration as their primary role, that's like 100 hidden things for 125,000 players... not enough to make exploring really practical or anything other than a lottery ticket.

It seems to me a good ratio might be 1 undiscovered item (ranging from the odd wreckage to an important jump point) for every 2 or 3 players. But that means A LOT of undisclosed content. Is that even possible for you guys to do?

Maybe I've got it wrong and there will be thousands of small things to discover, but only a few of the really big/profitable things? Also, how do you prevent everything from being discovered within the first couple of weeks after launch?

This is a good question and one that we have already done some wrestling with. Sure, it only takes one guy to actually drink from the Holy Grail, but in our game, it also takes ten guys to die horribly by choosing poorly and drinking from the wrong grail, one hundred guys to explore and research the traps that defend the grail. They sell their info to the two hundred guys trying to run those traps. There are one thousand guys exploring to find the clues like the x that marks the spot, the diary, the ancient tablet, chasing after a rubbing of the ancient tablet, the other half of the tablet, etc etc. Of course having a clue does not mean being able to decipher it, it may take the brain power of thousands to penetrate a mystery. Sometimes a clue makes no sense without another clue to decipher the first.

Of course Grails are going to be rare. Its no fun if you go hunting for a grail and the first person you ask tells you they've already got one, but that does not mean that tons of people can't participate. Indeed, think of the knights who found the grail first and decided to move it to a new location. The fun does not stop when someone finds an invaluable treasure, indeed, then the 'quest' is defined by the actions of the players.

But looking for artifacts is only one small part of what it means to be an explorer. Lewis and Clark did not find any really expensive stuff as far as I know. They brought back some cool Native American stuff, and received medals and rewards upon returning, but the value of their mission was not in artifacts.

As you mentioned, there will be plenty of low level stuff to find like wreckage that will supplement the income of an explorer looking for a big score, but there is way more to being an explorer than looking for loot. Lots of that stuff belongs in a museum anyway.

Explorers can do all kinds of stuff from shadowing and reporting on enemy movements, doing dry runs on dangerous trade routes. Tracking and reporting on dangerous weather, trying to strike it rich by prospecting, checking in on the hidden operations of a rival organization, mapping deep vast (and I do mean vast) reaches of enemy space, establishing good personal relations with far flung aliens.

For many explorer type players, their desire is simply to see grand majestic new areas or to visit remote places where few have ever been. Such feats will probably be noted in a character's history to preserve and compare with others. True, you have seen the ice asteroids of zenga, but have you seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhouser Gate? It does not count if you just go to the gate. There has to be c-beams and they have to be set to glitter.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Not all exploring is just getting stuff, and information has value. Even if other players don't want to pay for it, the UEE sure wants to know if several Vanduul hordes have come together under one leader. And then they want to know the exact troop deployment of every branch of that mass, every border incursion, every supply line...

• RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

How many different ways of being caught as a smuggler will there be? Will customs agents search our cargo holds after we've landed? Do we have to present Bills of Lading before being allowed to dock at a space station? Does stuffing your cargo hold with legal goods help mask a small amount of illegal ones? If the game is based on a reputation system, how do we get in touch with the criminal element while still maintaining what appears to be a legitimate shipping front? Does reputation gains or losses 'rub off' on the players' organizations, or does it only effect the player? Do organizations have to show records to authorities? Are there going to be 'galactic' weighing stations? How does a single seater ship like a 300i 'ditch' it's cargo? Are smugglers buying the illegal goods and then selling them somewhere else, or are they contracted by an NPC to haul the NPC's goods for an agreed upon amount? Will players be able to smuggle people (Like an assassin into a system, or a wanted criminal out of a system)?

Good question. I can definitively say that I can't say anything definitive. Only thing I can speak to is the reputation thing. In our game you don't lose rep if nobody finds out about it. At least that is the plan. The UEE (maybe) has pretty hefty surveillance stations centrally located in most systems, however, those stations can go off line, have blind spots, have limited range, may not be as sophisticated in some systems etc. Of course systems outside UEE control have no such surveillance. Reporting crimes in such a system is a system in itself.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hax_man:
    [hide]

We have been chatting in the Lore section about a topic that strays into design territory. Specifically, the relativistic travel and it's various implications. The weaponization issues are especially problematic if unaddressed.

I think that I have a minimal tweak that addresses all of the concerns raised but would love your input.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1848508/#Comment_1848508

Dimestore

Hey, it says your comment is not found :(
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

How 'immersive' is ship repair/maintenance going to be? Specifically is it going to take a certain minimum amount of real time to, say, replace the fuel scoop/intake on a ship because you've been refueling at gas giants too much ? Are players going to face multi-hour downtimes on their ship in such a situation (presumably the timer will tick even if you log out, so you could initiate such just before quitting for the day and come back to your ship ready to go the next day) ?

So this is one of those things that we will have to actually test in alpha and beta to see how much simulation is too much. Lots of repairs will require a serious repair shop so you are either looking at landing or finding a very well outfitted cap ship to repair to begin with. I think probably there will be some delay for major repairs. This means there has to be lots of cool places to hang out and get in trouble near the mechanic shops while people wait.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Edited: by RestitutorOrbis
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Hi.

About NPC filling your crew. Say I have a Retaliator, flying solo. I want to do a mission, and I only want to use the best NPC's. However, I can only afford to buy 3 of them. I assign the 3 NPC's to gun stations 3, 4, and 5. For whatever reason, I want to reassign the NPC at station 5 to station 1. Will I actually see the NPC get up from station 5, and walk to station 1, and sit down again, or will he "port"?
    Related question: Say I was able to buy 5 NPC's, but they were all of different skill levels. And for whatever reason, I later wanted to swap the NPC's at stations 2 and 4. Will I see them get up, walk to their new station, and sit down again, or will they port/swap instantly?
    Also: If there is an abandon ship order given, will we see NPC's run from the gun stations to the escape pods?

In the case of NPC on ship, for sure you will see them do whatever it is they are doing. Chris wants to see every piece of cargo that enters and exits the ship be physically loaded for goodness sake. There is no way he would be cool with just popping out an NPC or having them not react to an emergency evacuation. Course some npcs might choose to go down with the ship. I would not be surprised if you even end up seeing one npc walk to the seat he is taking over and tap the other dude on the shoulder and tell him to move.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Will we have some kind of logbook with statistics, like you can see in games like GTA or Just Cause ? This could be ships stats (a logbook with entries of what you've done with the ship so far) or a captain personal logbook (indicating what the pilot / commander / guy made, who he fought).

If this is implemented, will we be able to see how we compare to others (for an example, you've been travelling a grand total of 12312 parsecs, while the average player did 10000 or you downed 10 ships, the average is 213).

If done correctly, this might add to the feeling that you're part of a living community (what other players do, could work at large or only within the same organization) and reinforce the desire to "achieve" something (like reaching a certain number of kills, of amount of money gained ...)

There will probably be some kind of standard personal stat tracking. Wing Commander was one of the first games to do that over the long term with kill counts carrying over from game to game. I don't see why SC wont have a far more in depth version of that.

For my part, I am pushing for a history system that ties into your reputation. Like you say, a history system can be something for players to shoot for. Wow, that guy has two cap ship kills on his record. It also allows for different organizations to react more realistically to a player. A group of pacifists aren't going to be impressed by a spotless military record. And it also much more meaningful to players. A guy who blows up a UEE capital ship once and a guy who gets seen smuggling booze to an uptight system fifty times might end up with the same UEE reputation, but they are very different kinds of people.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    WOPR:
    [hide]

Will there be a virtual jump point training system in the PU? While I know plotting uncharted jump points in inherently dangerous, doing it without any training or idea of what to expect seems suicidal.

If I have my way, you will even be able to do simulated runs of runs that have already been completed. So if a guy finds a new way through nebulon 5 and the plan gets on the open market, you will be able to download the run to your simulator and fly it. Get off the known path though and who knows what might happen.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

If an explorer with the right tools find an asteroid belt/field, is he/she able to guess the origin of that belt/field after collecting enough data?
    Say there was a planet crushed by a comet, the remaining parts contain different elements regarding if they were part of the planet (rocks) or the comet (ice). And some were thrown away in a specific direction to follow their path if the explorer wants to.

That would lead to not just find another field of stony and icy things, but a whole story behind it.

Chris has already said he wants new discoveries to actually impact the 'galactipedia'. It would be cool if one of the things explorers can discover the the origins and backstory of various things in the universe. Yea. That would be cool.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Retaliator's Status

The Retaliator has been in development limbo (or should I say, lack of public updates) for a really long time now. Since it's first announcement back during the Kickstarter campaign, there have been little to no updates on it other than the plethora of great concept artworks and interior design sketches / Wip's.

What we currently know about it, is that it's not being designed in the Austin Office.
    The Ship specification page is REALLY out of date.
    The Retaliator seems smaller than the Constellation on the stat page, and that is just not true from a visual point of view.c20df42545.jpg
    It's probably not going to get a commercial, maybe a brochure at best.
    It has 3 bays, one for the Apartment, one for the weapon system and presumably one for the torpedo launcher. ( We'd really like some clarification )
    The Retaliator has 12 class 3 hardpoints, yet there aren't any visible at all. Rob Irving said we'd have clarification later on?
    What is the progress of the Retaliator from Concept art to In-Engine ?

Any updates on the Retaliator would be welcome at this point.

Thank you so very much for your time.

I can tell you that the retaliator is Ben's favorite ship. As long as Ben lives the retaliator will not be without a champion.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Will we have some kind of logbook with statistics, like you can see in games like GTA or Just Cause ? This could be ships stats (a logbook with entries of what you've done with the ship so far) or a captain personal logbook (indicating what the pilot / commander / guy made, who he fought).

If this is implemented, will we be able to see how we compare to others (for an example, you've been travelling a grand total of 12312 parsecs, while the average player did 10000 or you downed 10 ships, the average is 213).

If done correctly, this might add to the feeling that you're part of a living community (what other players do, could work at large or only within the same organization) and reinforce the desire to "achieve" something (like reaching a certain number of kills, of amount of money gained ...)

There will probably be some kind of standard personal stat tracking. Wing Commander was one of the first games to do that over the long term with kill counts carrying over from game to game. I don't see why SC wont have a far more in depth version of that.

For my part, I am pushing for a history system that ties into your reputation. Like you say, a history system can be something for players to shoot for. Wow, that guy has two cap ship kills on his record. It also allows for different organizations to react more realistically to a player. A group of pacifists aren't going to be impressed by a spotless military record. And it also much more meaningful to players. A guy who blows up a UEE capital ship once and a guy who gets seen smuggling booze to an uptight system fifty times might end up with the same UEE reputation, but they are very different kinds of people.
    If that will be the case, can a player hide those things if they wish to?
    Whatever happens with the thing I mentioned, there is a system planned for how information gets disseminated. The only things that will be common knowledge will be unclassified things that have been observed by, or reported to the UEE network. The details are still in flux, but the upshot is that if you can keep the galactic network from knowing about it, then no one has to know about it.
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I hope I am in the right place :)

1. Any idea on the range of ships or when those specs can be expected?

Still working out those details. Ships will be able to "fast" travel to expand their range, but again, more to come.
    [hide]

2. If when running NPC on escorts for a merchant or explorer, can those NPC piloted Escorts also tasked with carrying cargo. So if I was exploring/mining, can I load my NPC escorts with payload for the ride home?

Seems likely.
    [hide]

3. When PC come into instance space will we be able to Hail them via chat, voice?

Thanks for any help you can provide. A buddy told me about this game 3 days ago and I have done nothing but research since. These three questions are three that I can not find an answer for, but are important for how i structure my pledge.

So excited!

Absolutely, you'll be able to hail other players. Glad to have you aboard!
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Here's a question, will there be locations in the Universe that player organizations can gather to conduct tactical (read FPS training) in a matter similar to the flight simulators?

Well, we are planning on having actual simulators, so maybe that's really what you're looking for?
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Greetings,
    Can a player join the PU in such a way they will never see another player character, with out having to be on a private server? Such as an instance with only PvE.

Thank you

A PvE player can drastically reduce the chance of encountering another player that is PvP, but there will always be a chance of encountering a player, whether PvP or PvE. Ie. you won't be able to play the PU without seeing other players.
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Will we have the ability to repair our ship outside of a hanger? Like say you get into an intense battle, and you are badly damaged, but you somehow escape/ win the fight but you are too damaged to go a long distance. Will you be able to stop and do some sort of "space walk" to repair your ship, even if it's just enough to get to the nearest place you can do a full repair. I would really enjoy seeing a space walk feature for this purpose.

Absolutely!
  • devoinc

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

For the citizens with multiple hangars, I think it would be a good idea to stack the hangars on a planet. If I have a starter, business and deluxe hangar, I can go to all three of them with the help of an elevator in each hangar that connects them all. I can use my started hangar for my aurora, do business deals in my business hangar and then fly my constellation out of my deluxe hangar. The only thing that complicates things is the asteroid hangar. Perhaps for those, you allow those with an asteroid hangar "one" extra hangar out in the verse. Has this idea been discussed at all?

Yes we're aware. We're still working out the details of how this will all work.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

will all ships have escape pods?

We have been previously informed that we can have lots of people on board a ship (possibly more than just the amount of crew). I was wondering what happens if there are more people on board a ship than escape pods? Is this possible? If so, what happens when that ship gets blown up? Do those people (who don't have an escape pod) take a larger hit towards perma death (possibly forced permadeath since there are not enough escape pods?)

The answer to your question is that some ships may simply have airlocks or other means of escape. Most large modern aircraft don't have ejection seats right? Just make like a bank and bail out. Star citizens = 2Big2Fail4Eva. Peace.
  • RestitutorOrbis

Developer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi Devs,
    In regards to those of us with multiple packages, has it been hashed out as to the capabilities of game character AI? Are there multiple tiers of game character AI? If so, will higher tier packages have a higher tier NPC and can there be an option to upgrade? Can an AI improve with experience or will it's capabilities remain constant?

Thanks for being part of the BDSSE.

Lots of people are asking about this and we don't have a final answer yet. We might not have an answer for a while as this is deeply tied into everything to do with crews and npcs and even your own pc character. Obviously, if you have multiple packages, it can be an uncomfortable situation. You don't want to just sit on them not knowing where they are going to go. We don't want anyone with multiple packages to end up in a situation where they have to get their panties in a bunch. Honestly, your best bet right now if you have multiple packages is boxers.