Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen 'benchmarked' at 7860x1440 on AMD Radeon HD 7970s in CrossFire

TT-anthony256

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted: -
Hey guys,

I ran Star Citizen's Hangar Module on my Radeon HD 7970s in CrossFire at 7860x1440 - it actually runs quite well considering the resolution. I've got a 4K display coming in next week, and I'm going to grab a couple more for some triple 4K goodness.

I thought I'd drop this link here to see what you guys think, or if you'd like to see something a little different in my testing on the game. It looks absolutely incredible on the triple screens - something that just needs to be seen in person!!

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/28/star-citizen-benchmarked-at-7860x1440-with-radeon-hd-7970s-in-cf/index.html
  • Silvercloud

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very cool! Will be interesting to see how this develops, especially considering dogfighting. Lets hope everything in the end will be optimized for at least three screens. This game deserves that + TrackIR unless you play with a Rift.
    Brown Coats - Time for some thrilling heroics!
  • TheTempest

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    beside the fact there are no "ultra" settings in the hangar..... :P

2 things i would like too see.

1. benchmarks without crossfire. to see how it scales.
    2. benchmarks on high settings.
  • Apoc1138

Posted:
    Posted:

poorly, I currently get very little improvement going from 1 to 3 cards, afaik there aren't even proper crossfire/SLI profiles for star citizen, you can try forcing the ones for Crysis3 but that only gets you a very minor improvement

I can run Crysis 3 at 7680x1440 most on ultra with just AA down to SMAA and get very few dips below 60fps, SC is not at all optimised for large resolutions and multi card setups yet
    sc_bwcsigs_terminus.png
  • VA-Halada

Posted:
    Posted:
    I was hoping to run 7680x1600.

Your efforts confirmed my suspicions.

Im pretty much fucked until 20nm GPU releases.

Thanks OP! Take this as a +1 cookie!
  • TT-anthony256

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

I've re-run the benchmark on a single GPU and it scales incredibly well!! Check the article again for the comparison - nearly 100% scaling at 2560x1440 and above.
  • LewSmoyd

Posted:
    Posted:
    Awesome post and tests, Thank you! This will help me in designing my dream system. I am hoping to eventually have three 4k monitors driven by 2-4x SLI probably Maxwell (800 series) at some point depending on prices(!), ,performance, availability, etc. Good to find out what will really be needed to achieve this even though some of the tech isn't fully mature, or advanced enough yet, or in the reasonable price range (especially 4k!)
  • TheTempest

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Thanks for the feedback!

I've re-run the benchmark on a single GPU and it scales incredibly well!! Check the article again for the comparison - nearly 100% scaling at 2560x1440 and above.
    cool thx :)

i have now a ASUS R9 280X direct CU II TOP @ 1250/1800 (love the vram). i have only one connie in my deluxe hangar. i tested my new card 2 days ago and walked arround in the hole module. the absolut lowest was 50fps. the highest was 62fps on very high @ 1080p.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" processor w/Corsair H110i cooler
    Drivers: Catalyst 13.12 Beta

2 more questions:
    i run my i7 3770K @ 4,5ghz. does this might help my fps numbers @ 1080p? i never tought about if there is any CPU scaleing.
    u allrdy have the catalyst 13.12 beta? or is it a typo? if its not a typo i want it! :D

edit: now i see u have a test from the asus card up.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5905/asus-radeon-r9-280x-directcu-ii-top-3gb-overclocked-video-card-review/index4.html
    (some diagrams are kinda broken)

• Bajah

Posted:
    Posted:

Hey guys,

I ran Star Citizen's Hangar Module on my Radeon HD 7970s in CrossFire at 7860x1440 - it actually runs quite well considering the resolution. I've got a 4K display coming in next week, and I'm going to grab a couple more for some triple 4K goodness.

I thought I'd drop this link here to see what you guys think, or if you'd like to see something a little different in my testing on the game. It looks absolutely incredible on the triple screens - something that just needs to be seen in person!!

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/28/star-citizen-benchmarked-at-7860x1440-with-radeon-hd-7970s-in-cf/index.html

I understand about wanting better visuals but how big is the 4k monitor going to be? Instead of opting for multi monitors why not just buy a large HD TV. I use the 55in Sony Bravia which is only 1080p but it looks fantastic, and you can now get a 4k Sony Bravia as well, however not cheap at about $4000. That way you could have a great TV and a gaming platform in one
  • LuciusMaximus

Posted:
    Posted:

Hey guys,

I understand about wanting better visuals but how big is the 4k monitor going to be? Instead of opting for multi monitors why not just buy a large HD TV. I use the 55in Sony Bravia which is only 1080p but it looks fantastic, and you can now get a 4k Sony Bravia as well, however not cheap at about $4000. That way you could have a great TV and a gaming platform in one
    That is what I have done now as well.

However viewing distance is directly linked to screen size. The only real benefits for large displays is more viewers at a more comfortable distance. This makes controllers a more complicated issue. With a 55" display you should be sitting 6-8 feet from the screen to fully resolve 1080p. Any closer and you will see pixel structure. Any further and you probably could be saving money with a 720p display.
    When you change to UHD you either need to sit twice as close or get twice as big a display. I recommend the bigger display.

Imperium Recruitment
  • TT-anthony256

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    I have a 55-inch Full HD, and while it looks awesome because of the size, it's only 1080p at the end of the day. Even at 2560x1440, it feels like you're taking so much more in... triple screens, with 7860x1440, the immersion is huge.

4K will be an even bigger jump and on a 55-inch+ TV, 4K is going to be really immersive.

Triple 4K is the next step for this game! That would be amazing.
  • LuciusMaximus

Posted:
    Posted:

I have a 55-inch Full HD, and while it looks awesome because of the size, it's only 1080p at the end of the day. Even at 2560x1440, it feels like you're taking so much more in... triple screens, with 7860x1440, the immersion is huge.

4K will be an even bigger jump and on a 55-inch+ TV, 4K is going to be really immersive.

Triple 4K is the next step for this game! That would be amazing.

I really think OR is going to bump that. Especially the 4k version.

Imperium Recruitment
  • TT-anthony256

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:

I really think OR is going to bump that. Especially the 4k version.

Oh, I have no doubt. I'm a massive OR fan, and I think this will be one of the best games to experience it on. Mix that with some insane HOTAS controls with augmented reality additions - you could have VR, and still see the world around you.

Mmmmmm.
  • Third

Posted:
    Posted:
    Good stuff, OP.

I truly hope CIG puts in a simple benchmark scene that we can use for standardization (even if it's just in the hangar or DFM after some optimization). We really need something like this to get the hard numbers on a level field.

Of all the combinations that I tested, the Deluxe hangar with only 1-2 small ships (*no Connie) was the ideal for increasing my FPS/performance. But when I added a Connie or started stacking more then 3-4 ships, the frames took a serious dive. It's a bit of a bummer now that I can't melt any of my LTI stuff to test various combinations/hangars/ships any longer.

Hopefully we'll get a benchmark scene. And hopefully we'll see some improvement to the multi-display performance (it's looking pretty grim).
    Fleet Bigweek - 303rd Bombardment Group
    FwBZU2K_zps085610bf.jpg
  • TheTempest

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Good stuff, OP.

I truly hope CIG puts in a simple benchmark scene that we can use for standardization (even if it's just in the hangar or DFM after some optimization). We really need something like this to get the hard numbers on a level field.

Of all the combinations that I tested, the Deluxe hangar with only 1-2 small ships (*no Connie) was the ideal for increasing my FPS/performance. But when I added a Connie or started stacking more then 3-4 ships, the frames took a serious dive. It's a bit of a bummer now that I can't melt any of my LTI stuff to test various combinations/hangars/ships any longer.

Hopefully we'll get a benchmark scene. And hopefully we'll see some improvement to the multi-display performance (it's looking pretty grim).

when u need space in ur hangar i gladly take 1 or 2 LTI ships. :P
    u can rent my space...... :D