Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[IDEA] tool to promote constructive discussions - save the forums

wennstrom

Posted:
Edited:
Posted: -
Reddit has a feature called "upvoting" or "downvoting" depending on how relevant a post is, giving incentive to promote constructive discussions.

Link: http://www.reddit.com/wiki/voting

To demonstrate the power of reddit, please review the starcitizen subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/

I am a year-long SC subscriber that have abandoned even the warmth of the subscriber section due to the lack of interesting and relevant discussions. My only frequented SC community is now located on the SC subreddit. I believe that the forums are spiralling out of control and implementing this feature would save the community and our beloved game from degraded discussions and make it truly powerful to developers seeking inspiration. Feature implementation should not be too hard either. The sooner the better!

TL;DR:
Up-voting/down-voting trees will create constructive discussions and potentially improve the SC forum culture significantly. I propose to have Turbulent implement the feature ASAP.
It's Organic, Fresh & Salty!
  • Bellum_Gladii

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
    Journey before Destination
  • Kreese

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I agree with the fruity bacon :)

edit: I also came here after seeing the reddit post because I like many other think these forums are becoming a liability to the recruitment of new players
  • Hajima_Kuroko

Posted:
    Posted:
    Another +1

I came here from the Reddit thread where this is linked. Only three responses including me? Perhaps we need to give it time.
    Star Citizen # 313,757 - UEE Citizen Record # 144475

29xauzb.png" alt=
  • schnabautz

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
    i also support this idea. btw i also came here with the reddit link and also wondered about only 2 responses but while creating my post the 3rd response already came in so this might grow faster than you think ;)
  • Ghallo

Posted:
    Posted:
    I heartily agree!
    If you aren't having fun, you shouldn't be doing it.
  • LvAicha

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yep. Good idea. I endorse it.
    CURRENT SHIPS:

Cutlass:"Buteo" --- Avenger:"Accipiter" --- Aurora MR:"Lanius"
  • vinz99

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am a Star Citizen and I approve this message.
  • Crack-The-Quick

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    +1

Slashdot.org is another fine example how karma and up/down votes keep the discussion civilized and relevant.

I just can't stand big forums due to the noise of the trolls.
    crackthequicksignaturezp.jpg
  • Leviateinn

Posted:
    Posted:
    originally i was totally in love with this website
    and i was frequently stopping by the chat and browing hundreds of threads on the forums
    but recently its just because a total cesspit of nerdrage, attentionseeking (looking at you 'gamer girls' and 'look how rich i am'), misunderstanding of facts, spreading of blatant lies and speculation run rampant0
    (the ps4 incident for example)
    and just general unneeded qq
    (hurr durr the stream quality was shit)
    and
    (hurr im so insulted cig wasted 4 seconds of my time on a poll and they are liars for not having a citizen con because theres no venues how could you cig)
  • NewType

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    +1

I totally support this. I like up/down voting features. Helps to quickly know trends, and it avoids a lot of useless posts.

Typically multiple "quote +1" posts, that serve no purpose and instead could have just been a simple click to vote up the quoted post.

Likewise, instead of responding hundreds of times to a post they don't like, people could just down vote it. It avoids a lot of ad hominem bashing, flaming, trolling, and all these obnoxious things that generally don't end well.
  • wennstrom

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    The forums are supposed to encourage community growth rather than hinder it. The most valuable post effort from Ben is an example of work being put in to inspire good and constructive forum behavior.

Sadly, MVP is nothing more than a quick fix to the persisting fundamental problem of irrelevant discussions and bad manners.

The forum structure is the framework where discussions are created. Improve upon the structure and you fundamentally improve upon the underlying issue. Voting makes people accountable for their actions and inspires constructive discussions, which contributes to the overall forum experience and thus its reputation and community growth.
    It's Organic, Fresh & Salty!
  • SchrodingersCat

Posted:
    Posted:
    This needs to be addressed by Ben. Why are the forums so poorly moderated? Why isn't there a system in place to reward high quality contributions instead of high quantity contributors?
    CatsSig.png
  • Bonely

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
  • Killer_Lichen

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
  • KrisTias

Posted:
    Posted:
    the simple voting system of reddit is always a good idea. give us a tool to execute democracy.

+1
  • LastStarfighter

Posted:
    Posted:
    I agree, these forums are absolutely horrible to the point where I avoid reading them as it makes me ashamed of what the Star Citizen community is growing into.
  • ViolatedMonkey

Posted:
    Posted:
    We need more people to +1 this!
    UrmF0ix.jpg
  • Rigs

Posted:
    Posted:
    The issue with this is that we would run into the same problem reddit has. The Hivemind. If CIG adopts a voting system it needs to be handled in a way where opinions outside the popular aren't buried.
    d6dgsJd
  • Bolththrower

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
    ShipSpecs.com
  • TempestsWrath

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1

Because anything to make these forums less terrible is welcome.
    "A weapon is a means of transferring the energy from the source to the target until the latter breaks."
  • Athrins

Rear Admiral

Posted:
    Edited:

Rear Admiral

Posted:
    Edited:
    I want to add my support here. I've been actively avoiding these forums for the last year or so. I only visit Reddit. Too much crap on these forums. Simple as that.
  • Cult_of_One

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1

Also I would advise introducing new thread limits. I have seen other forums do this where you have to reach a certain number of posts (usually 50), and you couldn't start a thread until you had enough posts.

This should stop the new members starting threads as soon as they have registered and asking the same questions/raising the same ideas as ten other people in the last 24 hours.
    Death comes but twice to us all. once in-game, the other, less serious.
  • Kallen_Stadtfeld

Posted:
    Posted:
    This is an awful idea for one reason. You escaped the general section because you disagreed with the majority of what's on there. That same majority can utilize the up vote/down vote system to down vote dissenting opinions and up vote agreeing opinions. So it will only help to bury anyone who disagrees with the majority. Which again is what you're avoiding. Rather than use that, you're better off actually involving yourself in general discussion with sensible and logical comments and arguments that the devs will see. The developers are actually intelligent and working for the best game. When they read stupid or ignorant comments, they ignore them and move on. When they read great ideas, they discuss implementation. If good idea get down voted into oblivion by the majority, they won't be seen AND the majority making useless posts will continue to be ignored. Chris Roberts isn't catering to the majority if he feels it is detrimental to the game. People seem not to realize he's making the best game. Not the most casual friendly easy mode appease to the masses game. Therefore, I suggest you rethink implementing any type of voting system based upon who holds majority power and what will in reality happen. I believe firmly it will backfire and you will give less control over forum content.
  • Kallen_Stadtfeld

Posted:
    Posted:

the simple voting system of reddit is always a good idea. give us a tool to execute democracy.

+1

Democracy isn't always a great idea when the people voting are ignorant...in the case of this game, I feel the majority are actually a hindrance as far as development and ideas.
  • Coldsnack

Posted:
    Posted:
    This is an idea I can fully get behind. +1
  • Cult_of_One

Posted:
    Posted:

This is an awful idea for one reason. You escaped the general section because you disagreed with the majority of what's on there. That same majority can utilize the up vote/down vote system to down vote dissenting opinions and up vote agreeing opinions. So it will only help to bury anyone who disagrees with the majority. Which again is what you're avoiding. Rather than use that, you're better off actually involving yourself in general discussion with sensible and logical comments and arguments that the devs will see. The developers are actually intelligent and working for the best game. When they read stupid or ignorant comments, they ignore them and move on. When they read great ideas, they discuss implementation. If good idea get down voted into oblivion by the majority, they won't be seen AND the majority making useless posts will continue to be ignored. Chris Roberts isn't catering to the majority if he feels it is detrimental to the game. People seem not to realize he's making the best game. Not the most casual friendly easy mode appease to the masses game. Therefore, I suggest you rethink implementing any type of voting system based upon who holds majority power and what will in reality happen. I believe firmly it will backfire and you will give less control over forum content.

The voting buttons would not replace posting comments for proper discussion, but it would give an easier way to see what is popular than looking through the thread to see which of us have written "+1"

While I might not necessarily agree with the OPs reasons, I agree with the idea.
    Death comes but twice to us all. once in-game, the other, less serious.
  • Lone_Starr

Posted:
    Posted:
    Agreed whole heartedly. I've been avoiding the forums after they've devolved into a place where people have to yell over each other to be heard. The more incendiary posts get more attention on places like this. On the subreddit, the good ideas rises to the top. The posts that are helpful rise to the top. It is a civilized utopia compared compared to this ANARCHY.
  • dAkshEN3

Posted:
    Posted:
    I also agree. I've barely been on the forums because it's a pit of arguments and whining where any reasonable conversation gets buried under threads of inane back-and-forth.

Something like reddit's voting system will favour good, constructive threads rather than just new/frequently-replied ones. It will provide the level of moderation that the forums are in desperate need of.
    imgur.com/udtUCvP.png
  • sylt

Posted:
    Posted:
    Fully support, I pretty much avoid these forums right now.

+1
  • Alexmatador

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1