Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Proposal] Cutlass SAR package & ship skins for rescue org donations (It's a thing - Update in OP)

Caedo

Posted:
Edited:
Posted: -
Update at bottom of this post!

In light of the recent storm in the Pacific, a number of folks have talked about donation efforts to help out aid-providing organizations. This started in the Subscriber's Den, but I think it'll get some traction in General, too.

Packages

Rescue Ops Skin

Whatever you fly, show your support for rescue organizations with this Rescue Ops ship skin. $5 of each purchase goes to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

$10.00 USD

Cutlass + SAR

Despite the seedy reputation commonly associated with Drake ships, the highly mobile and versatile Cutlass is one of the most successful Search and Rescue ships available. This pack contains everything needed to put your Cutlass to work saving lives and ships and each purchase donates $20 to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

$120.00 USD

This package contains:

*Drake Interplanetary Cutlass ship
*Starting Hangar: Business or Asteroid (for space-borne rescues)
*Docking Collar
*Tractor Beam
*Rescue Ops skin

First Responder Package

Despite the seedy reputation commonly associated with Drake ships, the highly mobile and versatile Cutlass is still one of the most successful Search and Rescue ships available. This pack contains everything needed to start your game as a trained first-responder in one of the premier SAR ships. Each purchase donates $30 to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

$150.00 USD

This package contains:

*Drake Interplanetary Cutlass ship
*Starting Hangar: Business or Asteroid (for space-borne rescues)
*Starting Money: 1,000 UEC
*Docking Collar
*Tractor Beam
*Rescue Ops skin
*Digital Star Map
*4 Month Insurance
*Alpha Access
*Beta Access
*Digital Game Soundtrack
*Digital Star Citizen Manual
*Squadron 42 Digital Download
*First Responder Class II space suit

Concept Art

Courtesy of @LChapman, @Bugsie, @Rath-McTaren, @I-Pearl-I, @Billistic, and everyone else for contributing!

Also, for future concept art, let's focus on use of the Rod of Asclepius on a blue field as a logo (
SAR_Cutlass.jpg
SAR_Cutlass_zps980003df.jpg
kUVwztq.jpg
HhOiK3t.jpg
zuwx.png
rPNh1Eb.jpg
d3zABwX.png
VpqGLFH.jpg

Community Letter

The intent here is to provide a community-approved letter that we can send out to UNICEF, Red Cross, or other organizations to show them that we are interested in providing donations and raising awareness for their orgs. I went ahead and made a first draft just to get the ball rolling; tear it apart as needed, I don't get hurt feelings and this is and should remain a community effort.

Draft 1, Edit 1:

Hello,

Recently, the video game developer Cloud Imperium Games (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/) worked with an online gaming community to provide a special 'pledge package' that donates some of the proceeds to Veterans-oriented charities. Pledgers received a digital perk, and half of the pledge went to the charity.

There is now a growing number of people on the CIG forums that would like to continue this philanthropic trend; many are bringing up disaster relief in the Philippines as a first place to help out. Since the game is focused on space ships and one was ostensibly meant for rescue operations, a proposal has been made for a special rescue-oriented package that would help provide donations to an aid-providing organization.

We sincerely hope that you reach out to Cloud Imperium Games at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/contact. We would love to both donate and raise awareness for the good folks providing aid to others. You have our thanks.

Sincerely,

The Star Citizen Community

Poll to decide which org we should focus on: (Thanks Bugsie!)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vYw3mvYuwH9ZXLDvCBZYktwLpqa3GMfoKL4s1VeBpSE/viewform

Poll Results
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vYw3mvYuwH9ZXLDvCBZYktwLpqa3GMfoKL4s1VeBpSE/viewanalytics

Current as of 10 Dec 2013
DonationPollResultsasof10Dec2013_zps28c9

List of Target Organizations

1) International Committee of the Red Cross
2) UNICEF
3) INSARAG
4) Other

More feedback is needed as to which organizations are available and priority on who should be contacted first.

21 FEB 2014 UPDATE

From @Franky76's most recent correspondence (source):

qy89.jpg

It's gonna happen!
  • Beetee

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    I'm actually planning on purchasing a cutlass for legitimate medical care.
  • Caedo

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Edited the OP: increased Cutlass package by $20 and added a First Responder Class II space suit and basic game access. This makes it comparable to the Lightspeed package (same price base ship).
  • Beetee

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:

Edited the OP: increased Cutlass package by $10 and added a First Responder Class II space suit.

Yes please.
  • Rankkasade

Posted:
    Posted:
    Starter pack version needed.
    Syvässä avaruudessa kukaan ei kuuntele itkemistäsi.
  • 0wl

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1 and not just for the "skin" and associated goodies!
    Starcitizensig.png
  • deardevil

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Caedo

Posted:
    Ok, edited the OP to turn the Cutlass package into a starter pack. $20 more than comparable Lightspeed package, but gives a couple extra goodies and $20 of that is going toward whatever organization is chosen.
  • Beetee

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    Must not let this thread die.
  • Caedo

Posted:
    Standby, another edit inbound.
  • TempestsWrath

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
    "A weapon is a means of transferring the energy from the source to the target until the latter breaks."
  • Rankkasade

Posted:
    Posted:
    Needs LTI. Throw in LTI.
    Syvässä avaruudessa kukaan ei kuuntele itkemistäsi.
  • TabulaRasa

Posted:
    Posted:
    Cool idea.
    Member of the Vikings - http://sc-vikings.com/
    Banu Merchantman - Drake Cutlass - Super Hornet
    beautifulbanner
  • 0wl

Posted:
    Posted:
    *Bump*
    Starcitizensig.png
  • Caedo

Posted:
    First post updated.

Needs LTI. Throw in LTI.

You know, originally I left it out because I wanted to respect the normal rules for LTI. While ultimately I agree that a rescue ship should be covered by insurance, I'd rather let CIG make that decision.
  • Jolly

Posted:
    Posted:
    Great idea.
    Ad Astra, Cum Honore
  • ShadowCross

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Honestly, if you really want to get people to buy the packages, RSI could/should easily donate 50% of the price..

I'd probably spend another 100-120$ if at least 50% of the money is donated. Not going to bother otherwise - I've spent too much money already so far :)

Great idea though! Especially like the SAR-Skin-Idea!
    sas_sig.jpg
  • mill

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1 on the idea, this is great. I've been wanting to break into a SAR role in the game. I think it would have a great place in any mode of the game. (pvp, or pve)
    "...that may be true. But, no matter what is done, or how you do it. In the end, the end result is all that matters."
    -Mill Shive
  • Aspid

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1
    MUyI7PW.png

• G_Man

Posted:
    Posted:
    This would be amazing, I would certainly participate in this.
  • Schultz427

Posted:
    Posted:
    This is a phenomenal idea. Since I melted my cutlass for a Connie, I need an excuse to give my wife to purchase another one. "But honey, the money is actually going to help people in need!"
    9UK2JLH.jpg
  • Caedo

Posted:

Honestly, if you really want to get people to buy the packages, RSI could/should easily donate 50% of the price..

I'd probably spend another 100-120$ if at least 50% of the money is donated. Not going to bother otherwise - I've spent too much money already so far :)

Great idea though! Especially like the SAR-Skin-Idea!

The thing is, you still have to make the packages accessible. How many people would be willing to pony up for a Cutlass at a $100 premium vs the way I've got 'em written?
  • evil13rt

Posted:
    Posted:
    Its got my interests.
    tali.gif
  • Gray

Posted:
    Posted:
    I would pay for the skin. My cutlass as it is is going to be S&R and mining. I wouldn't mind getting the skin.
    photo Gray Sig
  • deneb

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I've always been kind of "meh" on the Cutlass but you are making my wallet nervous. This is a great idea and I hope CIG can make it happen, though I don't know how much time and resources it would take to put together.
  • Poweti

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
  • Hstaphath

Posted:
    Posted:
    This is a fantastic idea. I'd buy a Cutlass if this was offered.
    Gold Wing   Operation Pitchfork
  • Beowulf

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I think this is a fantastic idea.
    I literally just pledged for the digital pirate pack today but I'd melt it and buy the First Responder package without a moments hesitation.

Does anyone have thoughts on what the skin should be ?
    The ICRC have very strict rules on using the Red Cross and Red Crescent so it's unlikey that would be allowed.
    In the UK SAR helicopters have tended to be a hi-vis yellow or and the US tens to go hour red and white stripes so could one of those be a starting point?

RAF_Rescue_Helicopter.jpg

US_Coast_Guard_helicopter_rescue_demonst
    The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.
  • DarkMyth

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    You know instead of making CIG into a supporter of multiple charities, people could actually donate to these organizations directly no one is stopping you. And getting something for you donation really is counter intuitive of what a donation stands for.

I do like the idea of the skin though.
    darkmyth.gif

• Qayos

Posted:
    Posted:
    This is something I'd do.
    sc_bwcsigs_solaria.png
  • Morduslegum

Posted:
    Posted:
    I like this idea. I want to get the cutlass but I don't want a pirate skin so this would be a nice alternative
    sc_bwcsigs_solaria.png