Writing official fiction for Star Citizen

dladyman

Developer

Posted:
Edited: by dladyman
Posted: -
We've gotten a few queries about writing for Star Citizen, so I'm giving the answers here, where everyone can find them.

We have published two types of story, but we're only publishing one at this time:

A monthly serial in the PDF magazine (Jump Point),
A Jump Point episode is about 4000 or 5000 words. Typically, we publish a four-part story, so a Jump Point story is usually about 16K to 20K words.

Before you send us any proposals for stories, I want to see two things:

* A completed submission waiver form. Please fill out and sign the attached PDF, and send that with anything you send to me. We need it before we can look at anything else you send us. The PDF is at:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/9kf2qn9mpzaqyr/source/CIGCA-Material-Submission-Form-015-02-26.pdf

* As an attached doc, or a couple of docs (not in the body of the email, please): one or two things you've already written. It doesn't have to be about Star Citizen; it doesn't even have to be space fiction. What I'm looking for is the ability to write interesting narrative and natural dialogue — if I don't see that in your writing, I will politely decline you. It doesn't have to be previously unpublished — if you want to send a chapter from a book that you've already published, or point me to a website that has one of your stories, that's just as good. On the other hand, noting that I'm looking for dialogue and narrative, please don't send poems, songs or even screenplays — they don't have the format that will tell me whether you are a good fit for SC stories.

Unfortunately, most of the queries we get I will decline; that's the nature of writing. Note that that doesn't say you aren't a good writer — it may be the wrong type of fiction for your writing style, or we may simply be wrong about what we see. Please, if you're interested in writing, keep writing, no matter how many rejections you get, from us or anyone else.

Please send any messages (including submission waivers and writing samples) to:
David.Ladyman@cloudimperiumgames.com

Thanks — I look forward to hearing from you!
This discussion has been closed.