Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3d printing the Drake Cutlass

Xue

Posted:
Edited:
Posted: -
Well,... don't know if anyone already had a go at it, but I thought since I recently invested in a 3d printer, and in a Cutlass as well, I'll go ahead and give it a try, at 3d printing the ship :)

Acording to what I can see about the modell in my hangar, I tried to prepare the modell for printing, though, I have to admit,... the finished modell will probably have a second pair of thrusters at the front ;)
I loved the concept art so, I really wanna see it as a modell like that.

Here u can see some pictures of the progress I made with modelling the main hull, the cockpit, as well as the turret and front wings.
Printable-parts.jpg

And this is as far as I got with the modell right now:
Cutlass-progress.jpg

The first two parts of the main hull, as well as the cockpit are currently printing:
Prepare.jpg
Slicer.jpg
printing01.jpg
printing.jpg

I will have to print the main body in several parts, as the ship is going to be aproximatly 1:100 in Scale and my printer will only handle 15x15x15cm
I expect the first three parts to finish in around 15 hours, so, lets see how it'll turn out ;)

EDITEDIT:
and here's just the imgur gallery as well :)
Part1 - getting started
Part2 - putting the main hull together
Part3 - engines
Part4 - overall progress
Part5 - first layer of paint
Part6 - new primer
Part7 - adding detail
Part8 - final look (for now)

EDIT:
Here are the images of the almost finished Cutlass so far ;)
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG

video:
here
  • Bluntoze

Posted:
    Posted:
    Interesting.
    Imperium Recruitment
  • Akaroc

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very cool and I look forward to seeing your finished product. Makes me want to get a 3D printer.
  • theinfi

Posted:
    Posted:
    you know I like it, looking forward to the finished print ... in a few days :D
    sigtest.png
  • Quicksilver

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very interesting. Makes you wonder how long it would take to print a fullsize version of the ship. But then you'd probably need a much larger printer and tons of cash in printing material :D
    oYkaBNE.png
  • T-Dog

Posted:
    Posted:
    A buddy of mine at work that has a Makerbot and he prints tanks in pieces.. they are really amazing when they are done.

He uses bondo and sands stuff smooth. I can get you in touch with him if you want to talk to him more about his techniques.

2vchil3.jpg
  • Waytrekker

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very cool Phil.
    Could you give us some info on what 3D printer you are using, etc.?
  • aramyll

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am very interested in this cause I was considering buying a 3d printer to do just this. can you give me info on how much the printer cost, where you got it and essentially where you get the materials and the blue prints to make each individual item or piece???
    bvcsorF.pngaBIG3k3.png
    >
  • saks

Posted:
    Posted:
    very cool!
    [im]saks
  • K-Max

Posted:
    Posted:
    Nice
    K-Max
  • Xue

Posted:
    Posted:

A buddy of mine at work that has a Makerbot and he prints tanks in pieces.. they are really amazing when they are done.

He uses bondo and sands stuff smooth. I can get you in touch with him if you want to talk to him more about his techniques.

WOW!! Really awesome modell!
    I know there's still a lot to do after printing. Luckily I still got quite a lot of materials from other modells I ever worked on before I got the printer ;) But I'll gladly come back to it, if I need some help!

As for the printer, I'm using the solidoodle 2 here. I have to say, I'm really happy with it. Took some time to set it up, and find out about some small tricks to get the filament to stick to the printbed, but now everything works perfect.
    It's actually not that expensive. The base modell I think is just about 500$. I got the heated printbed in addition, so mine was 600$.

The materials I got from amazon. I'm basically still just testing, though I've made some prints already, which turned out fine.
    As for the blueprints,... I don't really have any. The modells I've printed so far have all been made by myself in 3ds max.

And the Cutlass, I extracted the modell from the cryengine and exported it as an obj file.
    Though I basically have to remodell the whole thing, as the modell that comes from the cryengine is not fit for 3d printing.
    I can cust use it as a rough reference.

• Xue

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    So, seems I underestimated the printing time a bit!
    Woke up to see, that the printer is still working, but I guess during my lunchbreak I will be able to get the first three parts.

But as you can see, the cockpit is already finished.
    DSC_02901.jpg
    DSC_02951.jpg

Can't wait to get the parts out, and go on with the next steps ;)
  • TheGekkie

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very Interesting, I recently ordered a 3D printer myself and I know what I'm going to do with it first.. make myself a Space BMW
  • Kjasi

Posted:
    Posted:
    Maybe less filler for the next printing would speed things up?

Very excited to see the results of this!
    VTS/MC42
    Ships: Caterpillar | Freelancer | Starfarer | Aurora LN
  • Beggar

Posted:
    Posted:
    You'll have yourself a nice version of each of your hanger ships - very nice. I would buy one of those, but Mrs Beggar would definitely not like that.

Fly Dangerously,

-Beggar
    "It is monstrous sin, A beggar to lie in rags so thin! An old gray-beard and the frost so keen: I shall give him my fur-lined gaberdine." -The Shivering Beggar, Robert Graves
  • Xue

Posted:
    Posted:
    So, finally, the first three parts are finished :)
    Next is the middle part of the main hull and the turret, as well as the front wings.

DSC_0296.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0299.jpg

Here you can see the first parts, and I already used a bit of putty, to get everything smooth.
    Gotta say, works perfect!
  • theinfi

Posted:
    Posted:
    awesome, you could put reflective tape on the cockpit area to make it shine, literally.
    sigtest.png
  • an0

Posted:
    Posted:
    f7944_ORIG-i_am_monitoring_this_thread.j Looks so awesome please post Pics of every step you do.
    l0ge.pngrsi_sig_ano4xyrq.png
  • Jestr

Posted:
    Posted:
    Been looking at 3d printers and settled on the solidoodle 3. Now the long, painful wait until it gets here :) One of the reasons I want one is to do exactly this!

Nice work so far, looking forward to updates!
    IRC is multiplayer notepad
  • Gragrajag

Posted:
    Posted:
    Awesome work! I have been considering buying a 3d Printer. It looks like you have the bare bones Solidoodle no?
    My Hangar: RSI Constellation | Drake Caterpillar | Banu Merchantman | Aegis Avenger | Origin M50 | RSI Aurora LX |
    45cb.jpg
  • Razimus

Posted:
    Posted:
    cool
    signature_zps22bae450.png /// THE CURRENT YEAR IS 2943 /// vanduul.tumblr.com
  • Xue

Posted:
    Posted:

Been looking at 3d printers and settled on the solidoodle 3. Now the long, painful wait until it gets here :) One of the reasons I want one is to do exactly this!

Nice work so far, looking forward to updates!

Hah,... I know that feeling, when I ordered mine :D
    Plus the expenses for the Austrian customs,... hmpf
    Well, but still worth it ;)

Awesome work! I have been considering buying a 3d Printer. It looks like you have the bare bones Solidoodle no?

Yup, it's the solidoodle, the modell with the heated printbed, just withouth the case.

And just a short update today, as the main hull is still printing.
    But here's the layout of the engine parts. Finally got that part modelled, so I guess about 90% of the 3d modell are now prepared for printing!
    engine.jpg
  • Valensiakol

Posted:
    Posted:
    Awesome! Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    just_a_forum_banner_thing_for_sc___fulls
  • SerErris

Posted:
    Posted:
    Me too ... I bookmarked this thread :)
  • Dicefailure

Posted:
    Posted:
    +1 for pure awesome sauce. Can't wait to see the final product. Appreciate all the on going pics too!
    The Nothing comes.
    ureOlNR.jpg
  • JoinerJack

Posted:
    Posted:
    Soooo cool!
  • StarStuff

Posted:
    Posted:
    Bookmarked!
  • DarkRaven

Posted:
    Posted:
    images.jpg
    sig_raven2.png
  • talpan

Posted:
    Posted:
    awesome
    205352120.png?force=true
  • voicesdark

Posted:
    Posted:
    I can't wait for the day that not only will 3d printers be so inexpensive that they'll pretty much be in every home, but when they are able to print large scale one piece items and with multiple materials.
    photo pleasurebot_zps9ee5dec4.png
  • Sigma957

Posted:
    Posted:
    They are affordable now.

http://formlabs.com/

:o]

I'll get one in a few years myself. Let my artistic side out.
    I was there at the 4th age of Mankind...