Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A reminder of what the Cryengine can do for Star Citizen

Skullface360

Posted:
Posted: -
This is Crysis from 2007, the graphics in many ways still hold up to what is out there today, the Hollywood moments in this game were fantastic action and fun.

Crysis 3, released just last year, still looking good only not as jaw dropping as the game was when released in 2007.

This is one powerful engine Chris Roberts is using for this game and I have high hopes he can squeeze every bit out of it.
I can only imagine the set pieces in the single player campaign for Squadron 42 will be nothing short of epic.
Now the multiplayer is going to be tricky to get smooth and right for all involved but I trust he will figure it out.

Any more examples of the engine Star Citizen is using out there you would like to show and chime in?
photo Blacksun8_zpsaef989c7.jpg
  • SilverVolpe

Posted:
    Posted:
    I don't get it though, how is Crysis 3 lesser to Crysis 1 graphic wise?
    I've played both, but Crysis 1 is so old I can't remember.
    11382600274_d7dcda8945_o.png>
  • IamMaestro

Posted:
    Posted:
    Crysis 3 had to run on consoles. Crysis was a PC game ;-)

Here's some proper footage of what a well-configured Crysis engine looks like ...

--- The man with no plan ---
  • DiabloMuerto

Posted:
    Posted:
    Great, now I have to go play Crysis 3, which I still never finished. :)
    Imperium Recruitment

• Madmartigan

Posted:
    Posted:
    I learned recently that cryEngine is designed to do its rendering in up to 8 threads. Pretty awesome. Don't have a real reference for this, it's merely hearsay.
  • SilverVolpe

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Here's some proper footage of what a well-configured Crysis engine looks like ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6oBJN3RIWs

Ah, consoles strike again then.
    I've only started playing Crysis 3 recently, the graphics are not bad by sheer comparison to other games, but I wasn't blown away as I expected of the most recent Crysis to.
    I see why now.
    11382600274_d7dcda8945_o.png>
  • Hawking

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

0.jpg

I don't know why, but i'm not impressed. At all. It has no soul. And clouds are ugly, water is weird. Fully modded Skyrim looks much better and has much more potential imo.

It's not all about the engine. Star Citizen don't need CryEngine to look awesome. It needs Artists.
  • DiabloMuerto

Posted:
    Posted:

0.jpg

I don't know why, but i'm not impressed. At all. It has no soul. And clouds are ugly, water is weird. Fully modded Skyrim looks much better and has much more potential imo.

It's not all about the engine. Star Citizen don't need CryEngine to look awesome. It needs Artists.
    Actually it is generally about the Engine, great art is obviously important but when you get down to the small details like shadow effects, lighting and clouds/smoke that's all rendering.

You mention Skyrim, Skyrim with the lighting overhaul mods and the enb series is like night and day. When I first started running an enb I wasn't using a lighting overhaul and while the enb was great the darks were way too dark and light areas way too bright. When I installed the lighting mod man, the lighting got so great.

But generally that's what just gives you those better visual moments the higher quality lighting and shadow effects. Like the Batman Arkham series, old engine but the art design makes that game look really good but the lighting effects and what not are pretty terrible just b/c that engine is so old. Don't get me wrong those games look great but if we could see them in a modern engine with up to date light and shadows, would be so different.

Imperium Recruitment

• Skullface360

Posted:
    Posted:
    Another video I made showing off the first Crysis and its engine. I dunno why I still love its look in comparison to the more recent stuff.

• VladtheImpaler

Posted:
    Posted:
    They were also saying that the game can take advantage of crysis 4, when it is released.
  • Daworox

Posted:
    Posted:

They were also saying that the game can take advantage of crysis 4, when it is released.

You mean CryEngine 4? Is this confirmed by CIG?
  • Vascotia

Posted:
    Posted:
    It's just CRYENGINE now since Crytek have gone away with numbers and digits for the engine.
  • VladtheImpaler

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

You mean CryEngine 4? Is this confirmed by CIG?
    Whoops, my bad. Cryengine 4, but like lavizh said, they aren't using numbers any more. Yes, it was confirmed in wingman's hangar or one of the other development videos.
  • Tank

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    If you want to see some vids of what the Cryengine can do as well as some other engines and games, check out this guys channel on Youtube. He has some amazing vids and he's started posting some of them in 4k format.

BwHPkwd.png
  • Modaflanker

Posted:
    Posted:
    What I remember reading is that the CryEngine in SC will evolve along with the latest versions of CryEngine, it will not be stuck in a particular outdated version.
  • Valaska

Posted:
    Posted:

0.jpg

This looks worse than that Crysis 3 video to me...
    thebasegiveaway.png
  • CNova

Posted:
    Posted:
    The real question is, how much can the engine be modded and improved in the future? MMOs tend to get stuck by the limits of the engine a year or two after release. A good MMO needs to be viable for as many years as possible. Because the development phase starts a couple years before release and the graphics potential of PCs improve VERY quickly, old, outdated graphics tends to be the first major pitfall of an MMO as it ages.
    NHMY0PN.jpg
  • Ramesses

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Another video I made showing off the first Crysis and its engine. I dunno why I still love its look in comparison to the more recent stuff.

0.jpg

Awesome vid! The music you used was spot on for that piece! May I please have the name of the artist? That song has a good mix of drum and bass, vocals and trance.. most excellent!

edit: GOT IT from your channel info.. Calibre - Gone Away *outstanding*

• jaqknife

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    One thing that I remember from CR's games is that everytime he came out with a new one I had to upgrade my computer because of the graphics he was pushing was always state of the art at the time.
  • Hoth

Posted:
    Posted:
    The graphics in Crysis were absolutely sick when it came out. There's always a few hallmark games that prompt you to upgrade your computer and Crysis was definitely one of them.
    t99e.png
  • Skullface360

Posted:
    Posted:
    RAH:

Awesome vid! The music you used was spot on for that piece! May I please have the name of the artist? That song has a good mix of drum and bass, vocals and trance.. most excellent!

Thank you so much for the compliments, glad there are other people out there with good taste, ya know? :-)
  • DracoStannis

Posted:
    Posted:
  • Maximiza

Posted:
    Posted:
    still got to finish crysis warhead then 2 and 3, hahah
  • Kietay

Posted:
    Posted:
    Crysis 1 still looks better than some AAA games released today, especially on consoles. Sticking with the Cryengine guarantees SC will always be on top as far as graphics goes.
  • Chain

Posted:
    Posted:

0.jpg

Not to mention the endless supply of blowing leaves.
    n9qo.jpg
  • Phaethon

Posted:
    Posted:

Not to mention the endless supply of blowing leaves.

I agree fully, they just feel wrong.
    I do however like those dust or small particles flying, and appears in the "CryEngine 4 (New Cryengine) - Trailer - 2013". These are often seen when the sun is low, cool real life feature.
  • Ramesses

Posted:
    Posted:

RAH:

Thank you so much for the compliments, glad there are other people out there with good taste, ya know? :-)
    *slides a pint your way* (nod nod wink wink)