Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[REL] SCORE, the unofficial SC Oculus integration UPDATE 6 (and second last?)

Freeboot

Posted:
Edited:
Posted: -
Quick forward: since wingmans hangar 46 it looks like we can expect official oculus support soon so I will no longer be maintaining this program, thank you to everyone who contributed with ideas and feedback, I like to think we helped out a little bit if anyone official actually read this thread and observed some of the pitfalls we hit in the process of getting as far as we did. I think we came as far as we did (and buy the sounds of it even worked around some of the things they are still working through) so it has been a fun 3 months of unofficial SC rifting but I think we are all looking forward to head roll and barrel distortion that works. - Freeboot.

S.C.O.R.E. Star Citizen Oculus Rift Emulation

Credits first so you actually read them.

Thanks goes to Lavizh (crydev forum and here), Batigol (crydev forum), Aeroflux (crydev forums and here), Electrocutor (these forums), Tiggo (these forums), Nikita (these forums), Berkut (these forums), Iriel, (these forums), Windburn (these forums), (IT)Signo (Reddit, and these forums) , AndersMalmgren (Creator of FreePIE) Along with the other contributors on that particular project, maxmalmgren, brantlew, alsomahler, baggyg, PeterTh, Baristan6, marcfellows and everyone that contributes constructively in this thread. Thank you all for working on it. Oh and all of Cloud Imperium Games as well naturally ;)

67e75tA.jpg

Next, about the new stand alone executable.

You may wonder "why not a python script, or just change the config, or write a batch file like the last releases, why a stand alone program?"
With a C++ program that does everything the previous releases did it gives me more control over things like predictive tracking and emulating inputs... well in future any way.

For the update history go to the link below.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1270813/#Comment_1270813

Install and troubleshooting.

Download SCORE V 0.6.0 from here and place it in your StarCitizen folder.
Download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 and install it.
Start the game normally and set your graphics quality to medium or low... I know just do it.
Quit the game and then run SCORE.exe
The first time SCORE is run it will look for a valid SCORE.ini
If it cannot find one it will create one.
Then SCORE will ask you if you want to customize your options.
Type "y" or "Y" to do so.

Options are answered buy typing either 1 or 2 corresponding with the descriptions of what they do.

1st option: Do you want SCORE to translate the head tracking or Star Citizen?

SCORE uses predictive head tracking and it works in cockpit mode, although there is some drift in cockpit mode.
If you pick SCORE you will also be prompted to input the amount of milliseconds ahead you would like to predict. I recommend 35 for slower rigs and 20 ish for blazing fast ones, play with it till you find what works for you.

StarCitizen does not use predictive head tracking and does not work in cockpit mode.
Why would you want to let StarCitizen do the head tracking then? Because this is an alpha and our feedback on how they have implemented head tracking is vital to improving the end product, SCORE will in no way shape or form ever be officially supported, CIG are doing OR implementation themselves and we need to test that.

2nd option: Do you want to try the native OR shaders?

These are horrible at the moment. Again if you want to test them out and report any feedback that is great but they are unusable in their current state with true side by side 3D and CIG knows this and will fix it later. This mode does work ok with Fake3D mode which is the next option.

If you choose not to you will get regular side by side with much less issue. However without the barrel distortion the image will be warped at the edges.

3rd option: Do you want to use true or fake 3D?

True 3D is more hardware intensive as it renders the scene twice from two different perspectives, but the image is actually 3D with a sense of depth and scale.

Fake3D is a pixel shader applied to the image to sought of "smear" the image to give it the impression it is coming from a different position, the effect is completely unconvincing but you are still immersed in the game so you may not mind, additionally this method is much less hardware intensive. as the image is rendered only once.

4th option: Do you want to auto run StarCitizen next time?

This option bypasses any user input so the next time you run SCORE it will do everything it did last time and start up StarCitizen allowing for no user input, fast!

You can leave the prompts and just type anything other than "y" or "Y" when prompted every time and you will not have to go through the setup again.

If you ever need to go back to the setup, open the SCORE.ini and set the option "SCORE_Run_Setup = 1" if you want the program to change anything.

SCORE.ini has 4 lines at the top that SCORE needs... do not change their order, in fact try not to mess with them at all unless you are doing the above, the SCORE setup will mess with them for you.

You can play with the settings below just like the old SCORE, while I can offer advice on tweaks they are all at your own peril, most importantly though you may wish to play with the r_stereostrength = 1.1 value to get something comfortable for you, somewhere between 0.9 and 2.4 depending on your IPD... if you don't know what IPD is then leave this value alone.

If everything goes to hell just delete SCORE.ini and SCORE will make a brand new one.

SCORE now replaces the game.cfg when it is closed properly (pressing enter on SCORE after you are done with SC) with a non 3d one so you don't have to go messing around in the directory if you want to revert to normal.

If you want to "uninstall" just delete SCORE, it changes no regestry keys it leaves no footprint... don't beleave me? the source is here see for yourself... hell you can even compile that yourself if you are really paranoid.

In order to kill flickering textures completely (caused by horrible motion blur implementation) you will have to bring down the console with the ~ key then type r_motionblur 0 and press enter while in the game. Then press ~ again to get rid of the console.

SINCE SC update 8 my view flicks about a bit and on observing the 3rd person so does the player model... I don't think SCORE has anything to do with this and there is nothing I can do to help... sorry.

Mini Updates:
Nothing since 0.6.0

Have fun, Freeboot.
Oculus Rift True Stereo user.cfg
Here: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/109939
Page 1
  • Falan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Ouch I think ill wait for RSI to release the official support for the hangar, I get sick enough anyway using it at the moment lol
  • Shade_emry

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'll be more then happy to help out when i get the time, however since their is no static/fixed point of equilibrium reference, lack of IPD calibration, and the slight hardware lag effects on some lower end machines, we are going to get very VR sick :P

---------------------------------------------

Wife walks in noticing me clutching my stomach...
    "Whats wrong honey, are you okay?"

I look up to her clutching my stomach as my dinner begins to find its way out my esophagus
    "fine, I'm fine honey, just VR sickness...Again..."

She looks at me with minor disdain and implies a subtle passive aggressive tone speaking

"You really need to lay off your computer, its literally making you sick at this point..."

As her eyes wonder the room, she notices the monitor and squeals with joy remarking in a fast and excited tone"IS THIS STAR CITIZEN??!! OH MY GOD THIS IS AWSOME!!!" as she clicks at the mouse, starring at the screen wide eyed...

I look up at her and reply "You know, some Phenergan pills in the medicine cabinet would be amazing about now..."
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Yeah it will not be much fun in testing, but it is kind of a project now.

Edit: the more I look at the documentation... which is in anything but layman's terms, the more I think you need to set the cameras up in the editor first.
    Page 1
  • Aeroflux

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Your stereo strength is at 0...the default is 1. That implies that there is no difference between right and left views, if I'm not mistaken. r_stereoEyeDist might not have any effect because of that. Currently (with f'd up aspect ratio) these are my setttings on the Forest level for gamesdk.exe:

r_drawnearfov = 63.25
    cl_fov = 63.25
    r_stereoStrength = 2.75
    r_StereoEyeDist = .074465
    r_StereoScreenDist = 3.048

It gets a decent sense of 3D, but FOV and parallax is not tuned, just a rough guess.
    I'll play around with it in the hangar. Kudos for the resolution/aspect ratio solution, I tried everything I could think of in the gamesdk.exe and it just wouldn't accept the half-horizontal resolutions.

Edit_1:

Okay these are the current settings (removed commands that are the same as the original batch file):

r_drawnearfov = 63.25
    cl_fov = 63.25
    r_stereoStrength = 1
    r_StereoEyeDist = .0475
    r_StereoScreenDist = .25

The IPD isn't right yet, but there are a couple issues preventing a clean image:

In the gamesdk.exe I had issues with lightmaps, or what I think are lightmaps. They are basically ghost images of the original geometry that are completely out of sync and create a mirror house of double image ghosts. I get the same with the hangar. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Oculus hack, not sure though.

0.jpg

The second issue is the screen sizing isn't correct, which results in an inaccurate mapping to the Oculus Rift view. The Hanger version overlaps by quite a lot. For comparison:

Hangar:
    StarCitizen2013-08-3115-22-45-52.png

Lunar Flight:
    LunarFlight.png
    When you can't run anymore, you crawl, and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.
  • thodder7_Calesi

Posted:
    Posted:
    You guys appear to be getting closer! Excellent work! This is exciting. I don't mind waiting until December for official support, but the sooner I can actually get inside my ship, the better! =)
    Join the VR Brotherhood! - http://vrbrotherhood.com/
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Yeah I left the stereo strength alone after a while when I figured out it did not help with the eye offset, must of just left it at 0 when I gave up, will fix it now.

And I left the res high so I could compare offset on my desktop after the rift made me feel sick, screen res is not a big deal at the moment though more after correct IPD and focal point settings but it seems that that may be a little bit off.

I have seen you numbers thrown around in the crydev and oculus forums a lot so I will give them a shot but they do not really make sense to me... but then none of these numbers make any sense yet.

EDIT: tried out the settings you recommended and the images do not line up in each eye.

EDIT2: Updated the patch with clusters of settings to switch between post 3d and dual render, dual render has massive issues with mode 7 (oculus native) so I switched it out for side by side and flipped the eyes so it works, you(plural and unspecific) be the judge but I think it still does not offset the dual render.

EDIT3: Ty the above is good enough at this point to sit in the captains chair and pan around with your mouse if you like.

EDIT4: Looks like batigol over at CRYDEV has got head tracking working [http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=311&t=113549] but its a plugin at this point so *we* can't put it in the hangar yet... although the team could... hint hint nudge nudge. http://rollingant.com/mis/CryGame_OculusPlugin_Code.zip Just for their own testing mind you.
    Dictator93 Got dual rendering working with mode 7:
    "Just thought I would post stating how I got dual rendering to work in the editor and the GameSDK.

TO get the dual rendering to work you have to turn down surface shading in the sys_spec to 2. Otherwise the image will be correct. Set r_stereomode 1 and it should work.

Then have r_stereoflipeyes 1. e_decals 0 (the decales only are on one eye's view) turn off motionblur (it seems to inconsistently apply to one eye's view or the other... never both). And also disable the view weapon display with r_nodrawnnear 1.

With these settings you should get a near artifact free dual rendering stereomode. Adjust your eye distance to the depth you wish...

I tried this out with 3dvision and it worked really well. Obviously all of the functions above have to be tweaked to get a relatively artifact free experience (the moon will still not render correctly though)." (last post)
    Page 1
  • Aeroflux

Posted:
    Posted:
    Awesome news! I'll definitely plug what I can into the cfg and try it out. All my settings are trial and error, so YMMV. My IPD, according to Oculus SDK, is 63.3mm.
    When you can't run anymore, you crawl, and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Posted:
    Mine is 62mm according the my optometrist... I am wondering if we are not actually getting different results with the same settings... not that that should be possible but you also seem to be using the gamesdk for testing right?

And yeah everything I have got so far has been trial and error as well, you make progress when you don't want to vomit :D
    Page 1
  • Nikita

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am confused. Wasn't Oculus Rift support part of the 12 million dollar stretch goals ? Does all this mean RSI missed their own goal ? It would certainly seem like the hangar module doesn't really have support for the rift yet, if all this .cfg tweaking is necessary.
    cosmicventure_Official_Banner_cropped.jp
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Posted:
    We are just impatient Nikita :D

I have no doubt it will officially support the rift on release, it does not yet and that is to be expected, many more important things to work on rather than support for a bit of tech that has not been commercially released yet.

However the build of cryengine they are using has the start of rift support built into it, not complete yet but the start. So we are just playing around with it trying to get it to work reasonably well if we can.
    Page 1
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Posted:
    BUMP for help Just got true stereoscopy working and things look AMAZING! anyone with a rift try it out and give some feedback. Still no head tracking at this point but its a massive step forward.
    Page 1
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Posted:
    kMNKAOh.jpg
    vM7ERnh.jpg

Edit picture goodness.
    Page 1
  • Nikita

Posted:
    Posted:

We are just impatient Nikita :D

I have no doubt it will officially support the rift on release, it does not yet and that is to be expected, many more important things to work on rather than support for a bit of tech that has not been commercially released yet.

However the build of cryengine they are using has the start of rift support built into it, not complete yet but the start. So we are just playing around with it trying to get it to work reasonably well if we can.

Of course , I understand that Oculus Rift support is in the cards for the final release of the game. However, what i meant was, Oculus Rift support was supposed to be in the hangar module as part of the 12million dollar stretch goal. I am , naturally, impatient as well, since i have a Rift sitting on my desk :) That being said. AS it stands right now, the input lag in the hangar module will make Rift headtracking somewhat uncomfortable. Even with a beefy system and a steady 60fps the input latency could make you sick. Of course, regardless of the input lag, I'd love to sit in the cockpit of my Connie and take in the sight in full immersive/rift enabled 3d :). So, they better implement it soon ! :P
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Heh try the new config Nikita its a bit rough without head tracking but Ohhhh soo sexy regardless, actual stereoscopy makes SO much difference...

Another pick in 1080 to show what I mean...

EDIT: ok new picture, click to enlarge then f11 and have a look through the oculus.

T67zZtG.jpg

Page 1
  • Berkut

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks for this. Amazing the sense of scale you get with Oculus.

I used this option and I was very happy with the aspect ration vs the "0" option
    IF "%screen_res%"=="1" (
    SET screen_width=960
    SET screen_height=1080

Finding the correct IPD and barrel distortion (along with head tracking) should help the nausea.
    12 counts of murder in the first degree ...14 counts of armed theft of Federation property ...22 counts of piracy in high space ...18 counts of fraud.....and 1 moving violation.

Retaliator "Temptress"
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Thanks for this. Amazing the sense of scale you get with Oculus.

I used this option and I was very happy with the aspect ration vs the "0" option
    IF "%screen_res%"=="1" (
    SET screen_width=960
    SET screen_height=1080

Finding the correct IPD and barrel distortion (along with head tracking) should help the nausea.

You are most welcome, if you discover anything else please post :)

Updated the file.

Turns out I was halving the horizontal when I should have been doubling the vertical, try 1280 x 1600... WOW it is a little slower on my system but so worth it, I am noticing details on my freelancer I completely ignored in 2D now.
    Page 1
  • Tiggo

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hi for some odd reason i get this when using your cfg 1:1 just adapting res to 960:1080 im running on 1920:1080 resolution?

ScreenShot0000_L.jpg
  • Nikita

Posted:
    Posted:
    Right, so apparently I was right on the money with my latency comment from earlier in the thread. Here is Oculus info from Chris Roberts himself

https://youtube.com/watch?list=PLVct2QDhDrB0sipIorv4skO-XR8bAO7Pp&feature=player_detailpage&v=astDHngLzyk#t=1314

In case the link does not send you to the correct timecode, it is Wingman's Hanger ep034 starting at 21:53 min. Enjoy :)

Also, i will make that Oculus config my project for the day :) Thanks guys.
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    To Tiggo
    Hmmm that is odd... try it with the new 1280x1600 settings (weird I know but give it a shot) Or 1920 x 2160 for 1080p... but that makes my rig almost grind to a halt.

Kind of looks like you are drifting in space :D

To Nikita
    Thanks for the link, had no idea they were already testing the head tracking... as far as I know cryengine has not got it working completely yet so there is that too. Good luck with the oculus config :)

Page 1
  • Tiggo

Posted:
    Posted:
    i can even look around ;)
  • Berkut

Posted:
    Posted:
    WOW! I can see the screens perfectly. They have built this for the Oculus without any doubt.
    Thanks!

12 counts of murder in the first degree ...14 counts of armed theft of Federation property ...22 counts of piracy in high space ...18 counts of fraud.....and 1 moving violation.

Retaliator "Temptress"
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Tiggo, exactly which cfg file are you changing? this is the game.cfg found in the \StarCitizen\CitizenClient\USER\game.cfg but you will have to make it read only I think or it will corrupt with your next load. This is the main reason I made a batch file to write it each time.
    Page 1
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Posted:

WOW! I can see the screens perfectly. They have built this for the Oculus without any doubt.
    Thanks!

You are welcome!
    Tweak the eye distance variable till its comfortable. (it does what it is supposed to now that the screen distance has been set to a negative.)

Page 1
  • Berkut

Posted:
    Posted:
    Once that dog fight module goes live, there is going to be a run on the Oculus. We are going to have a big advantage over the rest for a little while at least.

I love reading the trolls bashing the Rift when they've never tried it, or is it they have and don't want others to have one, hmmmmmm

Retaliator "Temptress"
  • Nikita

Posted:
    Posted:

Heh try the new config Nikita its a bit rough without head tracking but Ohhhh soo sexy regardless, actual stereoscopy makes SO much difference...

Another pick in 1080 to show what I mean...

EDIT: ok new picture, click to enlarge then f11 and have a look through the oculus.

T67zZtG.jpg

yeah , that screenshot looks awesome on my rift....now if only i could get it to work in my hangar module! :)
  • Nikita

Posted:
    Posted:

Once that dog fight module goes live, there is going to be a run on the Oculus. We are going to have a big advantage over the rest for a little while at least.

I love reading the trolls bashing the Rift when they've never tried it, or is it they have and don't want others to have one, hmmmmmm

Agree with you there. Man aiming a turret with the rift (i.e. if it is linked to your head tracker) will be sick.
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Posted:
    Try the batch file Nikita, that's how I took the picture.

Copy the code then create a new txt file, paste the code into the txt file then save it as something. Make sure you have "show file extensions" in windows http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/show-hide-file-name-extensions#show-hide-file-name-extensions=windows-7 then change the .txt to .bat and run it.
    Page 1
  • Berkut

Posted:
    Posted:
    The .bat file approach works like a charm, Nikkita

Retaliator "Temptress"
  • Nikita

Posted:
    Posted:
    Stardust could you post your latest config?
  • Freeboot

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    game.cfg in the USER dir, will have to make it "read only" if you don't want to use a batch file... but I do recommend the batch file.

r_Fullscreen = 1
    r_Width = 1280
    r_Height = 1600
    sys_spec = 1

r_StereoDevice = 1
    g_StereoFrameworkEnable = 1
    r_StereoScreenDist = -0.25
    r_stereomode = 1
    r_stereoflipeyes = 0
    sys_CurrentHMDType = 1
    r_StereoOutput = 4
    r_DrawNearFoV = 60
    cl_fov = 110
    r_stereostrength = 12
    r_stereoeyeDist = 0.13
    r_MotionBlur = 0
    e_decals = 0
    r_nodrawnnear = 1

Actually let me test the read only config method right now and see if I get problems.

EDIT: yep that will work in the game.cfg in the USER directory just make it read only... right click, properties, check the "read only" tab in the bottom left then apply.
    Page 1