[IDEA] (fictional) product placement by aerospace companies.

Wesha

Posted:
Edited: by Wesha
Posted: -
I'm pretty sure players not only won't mind, but would also enjoy seeing corporation names like Virgin Intergalactic, Spacebus Industries, Musk Jumpdrives and the likes in game; and I'm pretty sure the respective trademark owners won't mind to handsomely donate towards SC development to get some extra publicity for themselves!

(Note that the legal issues can be avoided by not simply replicating their current names and logos, but by "morphing" them to fit the XXX century spacescape while keeping a certain level of recognizeability, like I did in my example.)
Dreams happen now ● Donated to date: $27196 USD
  • Full-Frontal-Yeti

Posted:
    Edited: by Full-Frontal-Yeti
    Posted:
    Edited:
    As we are simulating a human civilization that is obviously working to at least some extent on the free market it would be weird to not see ads for products.
    i do not think anyone being reasonable will lhave a problem with a realistically depicted civilization where products are advertised. i would say it' safe to say we already expect this if from nothing more than the pics of city scapes with very normal looking signage present.

the issue many of us do have would be if those products were in fact present day IRL products.
    Referencing IRL in a fantasy world, that is not just a simulation of present day IRL, is about the fastest way to pull someone out of their temporary suspension of disbelief.
    I see no need to even just morph them, be really creative and just make up new ones, though i will not begrudge the Origin jump works or Roberts space industries.
    16433466236_18ae7a8993_o.gif
  • The_Expiated

Posted:
    Edited: by The_Expiated
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Boeing, Delta Airlines, and Alienware, I can see them in the far future, even if it is a little implausible maybe for the future of Star Citizen. But if done right, the ads can look like part of the universe and with a little suspension of disbelief, I think this can work.
  • Osias

Posted:
    Posted:
    This topic keeps coming up, with enough frequency that I've actually dismissed the idea that "maybe it's pr people from that company trying to seed the idea that it would be cool." and instead just decided that there is something inherently wrong with a small cross section of our community.

We go through life constantly hating how much we get advertised to. We ignore the billboards, tv commercials and radio advertisements we hear and see in our daily lives and most of us probably run adblock or an equivalent program on our computers to try and cut back on the amount of advertising we see on the internet.

Why would we want to invite those same advertisement practices into our video game. Something we are all playing, conscious of the fact or not, to escape for maybe just a few hours the shitty world we find ourselves unlucky enough to inhabit, horrible advertisements and push marketing included?

Having real world advertisements in SC would add nothing to the universe. It would detract from it. I don't care how well you try to dress up an Alienware advertisement, it's still going to be an advertisement for a current day real world product in a game that's meant to be set 900 years from now.

My personal feelings aside. What about the stance the developers are trying to take?

They're trying to crowd fund this game to show the world a few things, first and foremost that PC gaming is still very much a thing, second that Space Sims are still very much a viable genre and is still in demand, finally but not least importantly that you do not need investors and a AAA budget of hundreds of millions of dollars to make a good game.

Let that last part sink in for a moment, and think about what CR has said about why he wants to avoid investors. It's because when you allow an outside party have some sort of financial stake in your product, they begin to want your product to do certain things to benefit them and their stake in it, and that often dilutes the quality of what you're trying to create. For investors the bottom line is that they want more money out of the product then they have put in to it, for why this is bad, go look at any EA game in the last decade.

As for advertisers? Well it stands to reason that they thing they will want out of the deal is to get their moneys worth out of the deal. If they begin paying CIG to advertise their product they'll want those advertisements to have impact on the player base, to be seen and heard and be effective. Being an advertisement which is seen, heard and effective does not couple well with "Does not break immersion and isn't invasive of gameplay."

Look at any example of in game advertising. It's horrible. Good examples of how horrible are the billboards from BF 2142. Who doesn't remember running around a corner to a billboard announcing triumphantly that a movie that was recently in the cinema is going to be available on dvd by the end of the year, or that Intel has just released their new cutting edge CPU. But wait....why is this shit from over a hundred years ago being advertised on a billboard in the middle of a frozen wasteland? Wouldn't it be more logical to advertise the new winter survival jackets being manufactured by "insert company here" given that the world is in the middle of a freaking apocalyptic ice age? Maybe a "The Army needs YOU today" to reflect the fact that said world is gripped by an all out war for survival.

If you've gotten this far and you're not convinced as to why real world advertisements are a bad idea, then let me finish on this note. One of the frequently stated "up sides" of such a deal between CIG and a third party is that they might be able to earn some cash from it to put towards the game. Now I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but CIG has had people throwing money at them blindly for several months, over 15 million dollars to date. That's only about 6 million short of what they need in order to tell the investors they already have "Hey look, we don't need to spend the money that you've already given us. You can have it back and we'll do what we want with out game."

In addition to this literal waterfall of cash from the fans, They've also secured the funding they need to open up a motion capture studio, this will save them a metric ton of cash, as the stated cost for renting a mocap studio for 1 day of work was something to the tune of $35,000. Now, not only are the going to be able to save a whole bunch of cash because of this, but when they're not using the mocap studio themselves they're actually going to be able to rent it out to other developers not fortunate enough to have their own, and they can continue to do this indefinitely.

What else are they doing to get money? They're putting together a real-world merchandise line up, they'll probably release several new variants for several of the ships we all know and love, They're likely going to do more 24 hour streams with limited time offers. They're going to allow users to buy in game credits with real cash (details available elsewhere), oh and they also offer three levels of subscription to fans who just aren't content at throwing wads of cash at them on an infrequent basis, and lets not forget the final revenue stream, selling the god damn game.

CIG doesn't need more money at the moment. They're probably going to have more money than they know what to do with before SC is released. Stop worrying about them needing more money and stop coming up with horrible ideas like "Lets slap a Coke advertisement on the side of this bad boy."

CIG Is a grown up company, staffed by grown up grown ups with plenty of experience in the business. They can look after themselves financially and hopefully as explained above are doing just fine at that.

TL;DR : No.

• Wesha

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Why would we want to invite those same advertisement practices into our video game. Something we are all playing, conscious of the fact or not, to escape for maybe just a few hours the shitty world we find ourselves unlucky enough to inhabit, horrible advertisements and push marketing included?

What makes you think that XXX-century world will be any less shitty, at least advertisement wise? I see it actually being MORE shitty in that regard (will they invent ads that beam directly into your brain?)

Also, you are missing a point: it will NOT be real world advertising. If I suggested to do a placement for Coca-Cola, that would be sad indeed. But I am suggesting a placement for something SIMILAR but NOT the same. By all means, no real world advertising, but in this case it is possible to have the cake and eat it too.

Have you seen Shrek 2? Where they ride down the street of Far Far Away?

* Next to Farbucks, during Shrek, Fiona and Donkey’s arrival in Far Far Away at 11m30s, there is a branch of Abercrombie & Witch (Abercrombie & Fitch). Across the street is a shop whose “AA” logo evokes the real-life Giorgio Armani logo, although this viewer was unable to make out the words below the logo and work out what “AA” meant.
    * A few seconds later, next to the Star Maps seller, is a newspaper dispenser for the National Inquisitor (National Enquirer).
    * When Shrek observes that they are “definitely not in the swamp any more”, a branch of Burger Prince (Burger King) can be seen through the carriage window.
    * Below the Fairy Godmother animated sign is the premises of the toy seller Fe-Fi-Fo Schwarz (FAO Schwarz)
    * Next to Fe-Fi-Fo Schwarz, at the other end of the street, is yet another branch of Farbucks (there’s one on every corner, you know)
    * The jeweller Epiphany & Co. (Tiffany & Co.) is next door to Baskin Robbinhood (Baskin Robbins)
    * Dotted around the city are posters advertising Lethal Arrow 4 (Lethal Weapon 4)
    * Next to one of the Lethal Arrow 4 posters is Tower of London Records (Tower Records), a branch of Banana Kingdom (Banana Republic), and a branch of Gap queen (Gap women)

I find the plethora of these referential in-jokes hilarious, and I would love to see something similar in SC.
    Dreams happen now ● Donated to date: $27196 USD
  • Full-Frontal-Yeti

Posted:
    Edited: by Full-Frontal-Yeti
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Spoofs/puns on IRL stuff can be funny, but it is all about context.
    Sure shrek is a total fantasy world, and yet 100% borrowed from our IRL pop culture for all the stuff/jokes they do.
    It's referential humor at it's base.

that sets the context for this kind of advertising to seem more like jokes then adds.
    But they are still ads, you though about the real store and about their real products when you saw the "jokes", that make them ads.
    bet money they got ad $ from all those companies.

As this game is not a tongue in cheek spoof/reference of what's going on pop culture IRL then that kind of "humor" is out of context and so will not be funny to most when seen in game.

real ads for real fake companies that are not spoofs of IRL or referential to IRL will be a better fit for the context for this game world.
    16433466236_18ae7a8993_o.gif