Allow for chat while in third person.

B15hop

On Probation
Posted:
Edited: by B15hop
Posted: -
It kinda kills me inside that when I'm chatting with friends, that I can't go into third person mode and enjoy the view.
It would be really nice to be able to chat in third person.
Not asking for a HUD.. Just the chat box..
  • B15hop

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Really, no one wants this? Just me? lol
  • Starlin

Posted:
    Posted:
    Nope. 3rd Person technically shouldn't even be a thing.
    "The ship stats page is always wrong. If for some reason it is right, then it will warp reality until it is wrong again." -Manic
    "An object at rest, cannot be stopped!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight!)
  • Arunsun

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Bod699's Twitch Stream
  • B15hop

On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited: by B15hop
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Seriously?
    What a cry baby response if I ever heard one..
    Guess what.. It IS a thing. Deal with it..
    You too Arunsun.. Deal with it..
    This isn't a debate about weather or not third person should be in the game.. IT IS.. Get it?
  • Lychinus

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

WTF is wrong with some of you people? Seriously?
    3rd person can give an advantage in pvp. a lot of people don't want it for this reason.

The cameras allow you to do some very effective spotting and such. Not simply looking around corners or over rocks and walls.

3rd person has always been designated for social activities and non combat
  • CaptMal

Posted:
    Edited: by CaptMal
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

Seriously?
    This isn't a debate about weather or not third person should be in the game.. IT IS.. Get it?
    Yes, seriously, since it's been stated that 3rd-person will be going away except for in protected areas.

This is going to be a "first-person universe" after all.
    MRU1IFH.png
         I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.    grafton is MVP!!!
  • grafton

Posted:
    For reference - confirmation, no third person camera:
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2067705/#Comment_2067705
    and

Uncle Mo: Can you tell us more about your goals for the shooter portion of Star Citizen.
    Will it be an awesome first-person shooter or some sort of third-person, tab-targeting style shooter?
    Will it focus on PvE, PvP, or both?
    Well I'm all about awesome first person shooters, so it's not likely to be a third person tab-style targeting shooter. We haven't decided whether you'll be able to pop out to see yourself in third person or not, because sometimes the character's really cool to look at, but in general it's designed as a first person game.
    Crysis is a first person game, that's the engine that we've built on, and our team that's working on the first person side of the game has a background in first person shooters, really inspired by Unreal Tournament and all of that stuff. But we're not gonna be all quick and arcadey like some of the old style Unreal Tournament and Quake style shooters because of our death mechanic.
    Our first person combat is slightly more realistic and tactical, and there's more at stake. We're gonna be announcing and sharing more about that probably in, not the next month, but after the dogfighting, we're gonna start to share that, and one of the additions onto the Dogfighting Module will be the boarding.
    So Dogfighting v1 will be the single seater ships, Dogfigthing v2 will be the multi-crew ships, then we'll move on to boarding, and it will all get tied together which will be pretty cool.

emphasis mine from: http://www.scqa.info/transcript/?episode=10FTC-011
    And

I.T.: Has there been any discussion amongst the developers about the possibility of attempting to create a format of third person gameplay when not in a ship, that doesn't give a tactical advantage of vision in combat over those who prefer first person gameplay?
    Yeah, we have… It's kinda interesting because in the engine right now we allow you to switch between first and third person, mainly because we really think the ships look great and the characters look great, and we like to show off the cool graphics. The focus has been, you know, if you want to be in combat, doing action, you want to be in first person because you get all this extra information via your HUD and all the rest of the stuff you would get. And the same would go in first person combat, like if you're in a combat suit you will get a HUD in your visor, and of course if you were in third person you wouldn't get that and it would be much harder to aim, etc, etc.
    So I think I'm sort of leaning towards that direction so can admire you avatar and what clothes he's wearing and stuff like that. But we definitely want to make sure if you switch to third person you're not getting a tactical advantage. Really for aiming and shooting, both flying your ship and on foot, needs to be in first person.

emphasis mine from: http://www.scqa.info/transcript/?episode=10FTC-029
    And

GROMPH ASKS: WILL THE ABILITY TO TOGGLE THE CAMERA INTO THIRD PERSON MODE BE INCLUDED IN THE FPS MODULE? WILL I BE ABLE TO LOOK AROUND CORNERS IN THIRD PERSON, EVEN IF IT MEANS I BRIEFLY LOSE MY HUD? THIS SEEMS LIKE A VERY IMPORTANT GAMEPLAY DECISION AND I HOPE THIS ABILITY IS NOT INCLUDED IN COMBAT SITUATIONS.
    So yeah, we actually made a recent decision, to actually convert the FPS into a third person shooter, kind of like Gears of War style, so you’ll be able to corner creep and…no, I’m just kidding. Yes, we’re actually completely disabling the third person camera for FPS, so don’t be concerned about that. One of the things we were talking about is, we have these beautiful models, we have these beautiful animations, we want to be able to show them off. We want you to be able to be in your hangar, dress up, check it out, that’s kind of the fun part, you play an MMO, you get some new gear, you get fitted, check it out, you take a selfie or whatever, so that part we want to be able to have that experience.

And

SO: K, great. With improved cameras at our fingertips, what mechanisms will be in place to prevent ingame abuse of these camera views? For example, to get a tactical advantage over a battlefield situation in third person.
    DT: So, it’s a bit of problem right now. It’s not a gigantic problem with third person camera because once you’re in third person, your shooting is not that good, you’d be basically a spotter at that point. You can see a bit more than other people can see but you’re not going to be good at shooting. We’re kinda looking into various other types of third person cameras which would restrict freedom or looking around so you can still see your character but it’s not if you have free flowing third person camera that you can angle around a corner and I hide here with my camera this way.
    So, we’re also looking at that so if you want to inspect your character, look at your character and see all the gear and all the cool stuff or take a cool picture of your character with some nice background. We give you a camera for that but it might be… that’s not really tactical as you have almost no control over it in combat. That is another thing we’re looking into, detecting combat and when you’re in combat we would limit the third person camera functionality. This would prevent people that are anywhere near a gun being shot from going, ‘oh, third person camera. I’m going to look over this cover and see everything that’s happening here and if it’s ok then I’ll go and start shooting’.
    So we’re kinda trying to restrict but I know you guys probably don’t like being… having a restricted third person camera but we’ll have to choose the lesser of two evils here because if people cheat with then we need find a solution around it. The other one would be to a very slow transition between the two cameras, so you come just go quickly from one to the other, if you want to look at third person camera for the beauty of it or because you like running in third person camera then fair enough but you should not be able to quickly transition from spying on your enemies to first person camera and headshotting everyone, cause you know exactly where they are.
    SO: And in that way it will stay cinematic.
    DT: Yeah you still have… Well cinematic is hard because you have your third person camera, third person camera will not give you, it gives you the opportunity to get in some nice shots of your character and nice backgrounds and maybe doing some recording in that mode, but you’ll not get the immersion you get in first person because that’s one of the man reasons we are a first person game because you’re there, you’re limited, you don’t know what’s happening here so you’re kind of [Looks around] “What the...”, You have to look everywhere and you feel like you’re constricted by your helmet and it’s a different feeling. When you go third person you are instantly relax. You go, “I see everything, I know what’s coming, I’m not getting an surprises”. So that’s why we’re making a first person game. Third person is there for some other extra activities and should not be used for cheating.

from: https://relay.sc/transcript/bar-citizen-dan-trufin-interview

Since the chat is supposed to be a function of your MobiGlas within the context of the game, you have to be able to interface with your MG (ie be in first-person PoV) to carry on a conversation. Of course, once we have VOIP implemented that will no longer be an issue, as the VOIP is external to the in-game constraints on communication.

friends list dictates real-time communication:
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/296290/#Comment_296290

cheers!
    In all the wide 'verse, there's none like me.
    (image courtesy of Aeonmoon)
    Grafton%20Logo%20from%20Aeonmoon_zpscf49
  • RavensRook

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I don't want 3rd person for combat, or anything like that. But I would like to be able to initiate an emote in 3rd person to see my character perform it. I mainly only want 3rd person for screenshot opportunities.
    ADIClan
  • Arunsun

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Seriously?
    Looks like youre the child here.

Bod699's Twitch Stream
  • MT_travists

Posted:
    Posted:
    Chat + 3rd person = possibility to talk people through things they should not be able to see = bad for balance.
    Acting Global Coordinator: Confederation of Free Traders
    0JO3TK.jpg
  • erudy

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Combat is boring. Keep the third person. This game is about exploration, trading and other non-combat activities. Combat should only be injected as a rarity. Constant conflict otherwise trivializes the rare moments of exciting combat.

Make the game world and its economy the core of the game, and combat just a tertiary part. That's what I hope CIG's envisions. Keep the third person. Forget the "muh immersion" escapees. I like third person and the view of the pretty sci-fi vistas third person gives. You have the option for first person for the sake of your immersion.

Thanks ya'll.
  • CaptMal

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Combat is boring. Keep the third person. This game is about exploration, trading and other non-combat activities. Combat should only be injected as a rarity. Constant conflict otherwise trivializes the rare moments of exciting combat.

Make the game world and its economy the core of the game, and combat just a tertiary part. That's what I hope CIG's envisions. Keep the third person. Forget the "muh immersion" escapees. I like third person and the view of the pretty sci-fi vistas third person gives. You have the option for first person for the sake of your immersion.

Thanks ya'll.

That kinda goes against the whole "first-person universe" thing, so I'm gonna have to say no to that.
    MRU1IFH.png
  • erudy

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Thanks ya'll.

That kinda goes against the whole "first-person universe" thing, so I'm gonna have to say no to that.
    You do realize that when Chris Roberts keep hammering "first-person universe" it's meant to refer to that you play as a human character, view the world from a human character, etc. as opposed to being a space ship a la Elite: Dangerous?

That's the distinction he makes. "First-person" as Chris Roberts means refers to the character-centric gameplay and perspective, not in reference to first-person view.

Hopefully you and many others who have failed to make this distinction will be clear about this. If Chris Roberts put a firm foot down that he intends the game to be played in first-person view, which is a very different pitch to his character-centric meaning, I'll be the first to make it clear that were the case, too.

But that's not what he meant. He isn't aiming for SC to be a hardcore combat-centric first-person shooter where combat simulation is of paramount importance.

The proof is in the pudding:

1. After years of development already, he continues pitching his agnosticism between first and third person views.
    2. When he demos the game it's more often than not, if not always in third person. Both when piloting ships and when running around as a human character.
    3. Aren't Freelancer and Wing Commander all third person?

It's clear that this is Chris Roberts' style and preference. He's not into a military sim. He leans much more toward the AAA developer types, AAA developers that overwhelmingly favor third person view, which they believe appeals to a much wider audience.

Whether I personally like it or not is irrelevant. I'm just showing Chris Roberts' taste in game design and his actions thus far. He can technically change his mind but I see no indication for that.
  • TBenz

Posted:
    Edited: by TBenz
    Posted:
    Edited:
    You should probably read what Chris (and other CIG Devs) have actually said about 3PV before making claims about what CR wants.

Can you tell us more about your goals for the shooter portion of Star Citizen.
    Will it be an awesome first-person shooter or some sort of third-person, tab-targeting style shooter?

Well I'm all about awesome first person shooters, so it's not likely to be a third person tab-style targeting shooter. We haven't decided whether you'll be able to pop out to see yourself in third person or not, because sometimes the character's really cool to look at, but in general it's designed as a first person game.

Crysis is a first person game, that's the engine that we've built on, and our team that's working on the first person side of the game has a background in first person shooters, really inspired by Unreal Tournament and all of that stuff. But we're not gonna be all quick and arcadey like some of the old style Unreal Tournament and Quake style shooters because of our death mechanic.

Our first person combat is slightly more realistic and tactical, and there's more at stake.
    We're gonna be announcing and sharing more about that probably in, not the next month, but after the dogfighting, we're gonna start to share that, and one of the additions onto the Dogfighting Module will be the boarding.
    So Dogfighting v1 will be the single seater ships, Dogfigthing v2 will be the multi-crew ships, then we'll move on to boarding, and it will all get tied together which will be pretty cool.

Source

Has there been any discussion amongst the developers about the possibility of attempting to create a format of third person gameplay when not in a ship, that doesn't give a tactical advantage of vision in combat over those who prefer first person gameplay?

Yeah, we have… It's kinda interesting because in the engine right now we allow you to switch between first and third person, mainly because we really think the ships look great and the characters look great, and we like to show off the cool graphics. The focus has been, you know, if you want to be in combat, doing action, you want to be in first person because you get all this extra information via your HUD and all the rest of the stuff you would get. And the same would go in first person combat, like if you're in a combat suit you will get a HUD in your visor, and of course if you were in third person you wouldn't get that and it would be much harder to aim, etc, etc.

So I think I'm sort of leaning towards that direction so can admire you avatar and what clothes he's wearing and stuff like that. But we definitely want to make sure if you switch to third person you're not getting a tactical advantage. Really for aiming and shooting, both flying your ship and on foot, needs to be in first person.

Source

Will the ability to toggle the camera into third person mode be included in the FPS module? Will I be able to look around corners in third person, even if it means I briefly lose my HUD? This seems like a very important gameplay decision and I hope this ability is not included in combat situations.

Travis Day: So yeah, we actually made a recent decision, to actually convert the FPS into a third person shooter, kind of like Gears of War style, so you'll be able to corner creep and…no, I'm just kidding. Yes, we're actually completely disabling the third person camera for FPS, so don't be concerned about that. One of the things we were talking about is, we have these beautiful models, we have these beautiful animations, we want to be able to show them off. We want you to be able to be in your hangar, dress up, check it out, that's kind of the fun part, you play an MMO, you get some new gear, you get fitted, check it out, you take a selfie or whatever, so that part we want to be able to have that experience.

Ricky Jutley: Selfies.

TD: Yeah, selfies. You can have a little selfie wand..

RJ: You can have a little selfie wall? Go in game chat and say hey, check out my selfie.

TD: So, to that end, I think what we're talking about is a system that dynamically determines what cameras are allowed based on whether you're in a combat situation or not in FPS. So, when you're running around on Stanton, for example, or ArcCorp i should say. There's a real chance you could just have 3rd person all the time, run around, check out all the cool animations, see yourself, your gear. If you get into a situation though where you draw your weapon, or there's a known combat situation, we just disable the camera at that point, so that way we remove that… advantage.

RJ: Yeah, exactly, and I think one of the things that was asked by Grump, is if I get over from just protecting myself and turning around a corner, will I lose my HUD if I go into third person, and the answer is you would. If you got shot at that point, that's just your own fault for going into third person, I would say.

TD: So if you could go to third person, then you would lose your HUD, because your HUD's on your visor. And it actually literally is on your visor, it's not like a cheat. You move the camera away from the player's head you can't see the visor, cause it's actually rendered there.

Source
    He who controls the pants, controls the galaxy.

BMM.gif

• grafton

Posted:
    @TBenz, perhaps repetition will do what simply providing information has not (pretty sure I cited all of those 4 posts above yours). ;)
    In all the wide 'verse, there's none like me.
    (image courtesy of Aeonmoon)
    Grafton%20Logo%20from%20Aeonmoon_zpscf49
  • Egomane

Posted:
    Edited: by Egomane
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

You do realize that when Chris Roberts keep hammering "first-person universe" it's meant to refer to that you play as a human character, view the world from a human character, etc. as opposed to being a space ship a la Elite: Dangerous?

I'll just answer to this, as everything afterwards is build on that.

Chris means that you are your character. You see what your character is seeing. That's why the HUD is actually in the helmet or Mobiglass, instead of being a random overlay like it is in any other game. That's why your flight instruments are displayed in the ship, not "in your mind", for all to see. So if Chris is talking about a first person universe he means one that is primarily to be played in first person view, as you will otherwise not get any informations.

There are repeated statements that third person view is going away. The occasions where it will be accessible will be for beautyshots only. That's why it is often used in presentation as well. They want to show how beautyfull the game looks outside your characters view. If you look again, you'll notice that in those occasions there is nothing but the scenerie to be seen.

So if you want to chat, a function of your mobiglass, you'll need to be in first person. If you want to fight, you'll need to be in first person. If you want to effectivly fly your ship, you'll need to be in first person. Because all informations necessary to do those things are displayed in front of your character, instead of magically appearing on your screen.

Now, I'm answering other points of your post still...
    Neither Freelancer nor Wing Commander are third person view. You can switch to external cameras but in WC it is nearly impossible to play that way. You'll not accomplish anything if you try to do that.
    Create a new account with the following referal code for 5,000 UEC ingame currency if you pledge: STAR-PCDV-N5FL
  • TBenz

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

TBenz, perhaps repetition will do what simply providing information has not (pretty sure I cited all of those 4 posts above yours). ;)

Lol, sorry @grafton. I scrolled straight past your posts. Maybe reinforcement will work. :P
    He who controls the pants, controls the galaxy.

BMM.gif

• erudy

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    @TBenz
    [hide]

You should probably read what Chris (and other CIG Devs) have actually said about 3PV before making claims about what CR wants.

Our first person combat is slightly more realistic and tactical, and there's more at stake.
    We're gonna be announcing and sharing more about that probably in, not the next month, but after the dogfighting, we're gonna start to share that, and one of the additions onto the Dogfighting Module will be the boarding.

Source

Has there been any discussion amongst the developers about the possibility of attempting to create a format of third person gameplay when not in a ship, that doesn't give a tactical advantage of vision in combat over those who prefer first person gameplay?

Source

Will the ability to toggle the camera into third person mode be included in the FPS module? Will I be able to look around corners in third person, even if it means I briefly lose my HUD? This seems like a very important gameplay decision and I hope this ability is not included in combat situations.

Travis Day: So yeah, we actually made a recent decision, to actually convert the FPS into a third person shooter, kind of like Gears of War style, so you'll be able to corner creep and…no, I'm just kidding. Yes, we're actually completely disabling the third person camera for FPS, so don't be concerned about that. One of the things we were talking about is, we have these beautiful models, we have these beautiful animations, we want to be able to show them off. We want you to be able to be in your hangar, dress up, check it out, that's kind of the fun part, you play an MMO, you get some new gear, you get fitted, check it out, you take a selfie or whatever, so that part we want to be able to have that experience.

RJ: You can have a little selfie wall? Go in game chat and say hey, check out my selfie.

TD: So, to that end, I think what we're talking about is a system that dynamically determines what cameras are allowed based on whether you're in a combat situation or not in FPS. So, when you're running around on Stanton, for example, or ArcCorp i should say. There's a real chance you could just have 3rd person all the time, run around, check out all the cool animations, see yourself, your gear. If you get into a situation though where you draw your weapon, or there's a known combat situation, we just disable the camera at that point, so that way we remove that… advantage.

RJ: Yeah, exactly, and I think one of the things that was asked by Grump, is if I get over from just protecting myself and turning around a corner, will I lose my HUD if I go into third person, and the answer is you would. If you got shot at that point, that's just your own fault for going into third person, I would say.

TD: So if you could go to third person, then you would lose your HUD, because your HUD's on your visor. And it actually literally is on your visor, it's not like a cheat. You move the camera away from the player's head you can't see the visor, cause it's actually rendered there.

Source
    Surprise. They're even less firm against third person than even I thought.

What's their strongest quote against third person in all of that you've quoted? That you'll lose your HUD, similarly to how they handle the tactical balancing for ships?

They're trying to sit on the fence but this can't be overlooked. If third person is allowed, there will be an advantage, whatever other re-balancing element they to contrive, first person HUD as an advantage, for example.

What if all characters involved weren't wearing helmets, but are in a situation where they're all unarmored yet armed outlaws? Just bands of criminals without any fancy HUDs, and if a firefight breaks out, third person it is.

They will compromise something, one way or another. Either third person completely goes, or third person stays, even to a less than full extent, at the cost of the advantages that come with third person.
  • CaptMal

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

TBenz

[hide]

Source

Source

Source

What's their strongest quote against third person in all of that you've quoted? That you'll lose your HUD, similarly to how they handle the tactical balancing for ships?

They're trying to sit on the fence but this can't be overlooked. If third person is allowed, there will be an advantage, whatever other re-balancing element they to contrive, first person HUD as an advantage, for example.

What if all characters involved weren't wearing helmets, but are in a situation where they're all unarmored yet armed outlaws? Just bands of criminals without any fancy HUDs, and if a firefight breaks out, third person it is.

They will compromise something, one way or another. Either third person completely goes, or third person stays, even to a less than full extent, at the cost of the advantages that come with third person.
    I'm just curious....if you're in third-person with no HUD, how exactly do you expect to aim a weapon and be at all effective before you die?
    MRU1IFH.png
  • erudy

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    @CaptMal
    [hide]

[hide]

TBenz

[hide]

Source

Source

Source

I'm just curious....if you're in third-person with no HUD, how exactly do you expect to aim a weapon and be at all effective before you die?
    Are you high or obtuse? Whenever people bemoan third person view when it comes to shooter combat, it's not because it gives you better aim or some shit. It's all down to the VIEW. Like, viewing around, over, behind cover, etc. that you otherwise couldn't in first person.

Why are you even commenting vehemently in a first person vs third person discussion when you clearly don't understand the main issue people take with third person? It's not because third person helps you AIM...
  • Egomane

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Are you not reading what is presented to you?

But we definitely want to make sure if you switch to third person you're not getting a tactical advantage.

Yes, we're actually completely disabling the third person camera for FPS, so don't be concerned about that.

Create a new account with the following referal code for 5,000 UEC ingame currency if you pledge: STAR-PCDV-N5FL
  • CaptMal

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

CaptMal

[hide]

[hide]

TBenz

[hide]

Source

Source

Source

Are you high or obtuse? Whenever people bemoan third person view when it comes to shooter combat, it's not because it gives you better aim or some shit. It's all down to the VIEW. Like, viewing around, over, behind cover, etc. that you otherwise couldn't in first person.

Why are you even commenting vehemently in a first person vs third person discussion when you clearly don't understand the main issue people take with third person? It's not because third person helps you AIM...
    Because I couldn't give two fucks. It's a first-person game that will let you use third-person view in certain safe areas so you can get good cinematic views. I believe they have also said there will be cinematic tools to give you more detailed control as well.
    MRU1IFH.png
  • GreySix

Posted:
    Edited: by GreySix
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Have no issue with third-person when your character or ship is out of combat, but once combat ensues first-person should be the only choice available, for the sake of realism (and prohibit unfair advantage of those favoring third-person views).

... my .02 aUEC.
    html>
  • erudy

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    @CaptMal
    [hide]

[hide]

CaptMal

[hide]

[hide]

TBenz

[hide]

Source

Source

Source

Because I couldn't give two fucks.
    Total non sequitur nonsense. You're concerned about this topic and have expressed your strong opinions about it and have curiously asked questions.

Don't try to recover when I demonstrate your obtuseness by trying to shrug off the fucks that you really do give. Makes you even dumber than before.
  • erudy

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    @Egomane
    [hide]

[hide]

Are you not reading what is presented to you?

But we definitely want to make sure if you switch to third person you're not getting a tactical advantage.

Yes, we're actually completely disabling the third person camera for FPS, so don't be concerned about that.

Exactly my point that they're intent on keeping third person in the game as much as possible. Are you incapable of reading and inferring?

If third person goes completely from the game, there's no "third person camera for FPS" to disable.

The question that remains is what they think of doing for example when a random, unforeseen firefight breaks out on some low-sec planetary town or outpost.
  • Evil_Salmon

Posted:
    Posted:
    3rd party software. Nuff said
  • Egomane

Posted:
    Edited: by Egomane
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Exactly my point that they're intent on keeping third person in the game as much as possible. Are you incapable of reading and inferring?

If third person goes completely from the game, there's no "third person camera for FPS" to disable.

The question that remains is what they think of doing for example when a random, unforeseen firefight breaks out on some low-sec planetary town or outpost.

Apparently you are not getting the point. Your first post here was to argue for a possibility to play in third person view. If you consider walking around and looking at your surroundings as playing then, and only then, you are correct and no one here disputed that.

What you do not seem to get is that you will not be able to do much while you are in third person. That you will not be able to use third person at all while anywhere near (potential) combat. You will not have any kind of HUD while in third person view. As interaction possibilities are displayed through your Mobiglass, you will not be aware of them. Because of that you will even have a hard time to simply open some doors in 3PV.

That is essentially the same thing I said prior, only packaged in different wording. Standing around, looking at the world, is hardly playing for most of us.

And lastly calling @CaptMal being obtuse is not justified or very welcome. He has given you links and statement that contradict your first post in this thread. That was a polite thing. You responded by being rude. Here is another link and quote for you.
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318384/website-rules-moderator-responsibilities-updated-02-14-2016

1. Be good.
    Treat other people the way you want to be treated.

You have an argument? Bring it. You have an (implied) insult? Don't post.
  • CaptMal

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

CaptMal

[hide]

[hide]

CaptMal

[hide]

[hide]

TBenz

Because I couldn't give two fucks.
    Total non sequitur nonsense. You're concerned about this topic and have expressed your strong opinions about it and have curiously asked questions.

Don't try to recover when I demonstrate your obtuseness by trying to shrug off the fucks that you really do give. Makes you even dumber than before.
    Not being obtuse at all. I just like to argue for argument's sake. And since it's been clearly stated by CIG that you won't be doing much at all in third-person, you were just on the wrong side of the argument.
    MRU1IFH.png
  • WiFiN

Posted:
    Posted:
    I think that "third person camera for selfies" should be obvious for everyone around and physicalized in a form of visible and audible drone that can be destroyed or disabled. It also should be controlled by the player manually - you either fly it using mobiglass, or assign some primitive movement pattern - like "orbit around location", "keep focus on target", etc. so you can't use it as a menas for direct character control.

As for chat - if you control this drone through mobiglass, then yess, chat could be accessible. Otherwise - no.
  • CaptMal

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I think that "third person camera for selfies" should be obvious for everyone around and physicalized in a form of visible and audible drone that can be destroyed or disabled. It also should be controlled by the player manually - you either fly it using mobiglass, or assign some primitive movement pattern - like "orbit around location", "keep focus on target", etc. so you can't use it as a menas for direct character control.

As for chat - if you control this drone through mobiglass, then yess, chat could be accessible. Otherwise - no.

+42
    The drone idea has been brought up many times, and I like it.
    MRU1IFH.png