Desire to play, but can I run Star Citizen on my current computer?

1heUndertaker

Posted:
Posted: -
Hi all!

Wow, amazing universe of information here!
Only just heard about this massive project!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question?
I've not yet bought the game, but the reason why is described below...
If not could you let me know where to put it (be polite!) please?

I've been watching some (loads!) of videos, and reading for quite a few hours on the forums here and other sites/discussions. I'm now convinced that Star Citizen is 'it'. But can i run it on my system?

Before diving in with both feet, and my wallet... I thought it best to ask if anyone knows the best way to find out if Star Citizen will run enough for me to be able to play/ have a reasonable experience? ie 15-20fps on low settings?

The "systemrequirementslab" website says my system should be ok, except for the graphics card, which is a Radeon HD 5670 1GB.
However, a couple of people on this forum seem to be able to run it?

I've researched for hours, using both the forum search on here, reddit, google etc. but not yet found anything like a conclusive yes/no from anyone who has a system of similar spec to mine.

So, I'm just wondering if any of you could assist me please?
Hopefully, the list below is enough info, however if I've missed some vital info please let me know.

My system hardware is -

HP Z200 Tower
CPU - i5 650 3.2GHz quad core
MEMORY - 16 GB DDR3 666 Mhz
GRAPHICS - AMD Raedon HD 5670 1GB DX11
OS - Windows 10 64 bit

Just to be clear about what I'm asking, cause I'm not sure that I have been (tho I've tried to be!), here is my question again -

Given the hardware in the list above, do you know if Star Citizen will run on my system for me to be able to play/ have a reasonable experience?
ie manage to get a playable maybe 15-20fps on low settings?

Oh, and please consider, I'm asking if my current system may be able to run it because my current system is the only one i will have until at least next year.
Just in case you are not familiar with the HP Z200, it is not very upgradeable in the graphics card department.
The Radeon HD 5670 is, as far as I know, the fastest non-external (no extra power connector) powered card which fits and works?
Although I have considered adding another ATX power supply, there are complications...

So advice on upgrading the whole system is welcome, but not immediately useful.

Unless of course, you have had experience of the HP Z200 and know of a more suitable graphics card?

So, if you got this far reading my ramblings well done! And thank you!

Hopefully see you in a short Space of time Citizen ! (did you see what I did there....? eh? eh?) :-)

Wannabe pilot Oz
  • Arunsun

Posted:
    Posted:
    you will get about 5 fps max

Bod699's Twitch Stream
  • The_Space_Explorer

Posted:
    Edited: by The_Space_Explorer
    Posted:
    Edited:
    the NV 1050ti's don't need extra power connector, but not sure what your budget is
    ---> STAR-73VR-ZP5P <---
  • 1heUndertaker

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi Arunsun,

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your time in sharing your opinion!

I wonder, if you would like to, could you help me by explaining why / how you know please?
    Have you run it on a similar spec system to the one i have?

I'm attempting to find a way to understand what options I have, based on people's experience with (older!) hardware similar to mine.
    The choice of upgrade route is quite limited for me, due to available cash, so I'm attempting to learn/find out what specs people use too.

Many thanks,
    Oz
  • 1heUndertaker

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

the NV 1050ti's don't need extra power connector

Hi Ozium-SC,

Great !

I really appreciate that info, I had no idea.
    Will check out the specs / price.

Thank you again, your help gives me another welcome option!

Cheers,
    Oz
  • Arunsun

Posted:
    Posted:
    I have the Radeon 5700 and get about 5 fps

you have to remember you are talking about a 7+ year old video card, SC is being made for graphics cards made today and more specifically the future, i.e. 980s and 10xx series Nvidia cards.

Bod699's Twitch Stream
  • Thylbana

Posted:
    Edited: by Thylbana
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

Hi Arunsun,

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your time in sharing your opinion!

I wonder, if you would like to, could you help me by explaining why / how you know please?
    Have you run it on a similar spec system to the one i have?

I'm attempting to find a way to understand what options I have, based on people's experience with (older!) hardware similar to mine.
    The choice of upgrade route is quite limited for me, due to available cash, so I'm attempting to learn/find out what specs people use too.

Many thanks,
    Oz
    I can't speak for Arunsun, but I agree with him. The listed minimum is:
    2U1aCnz.jpg
    Your CPU is 7 years old. Sure it is a quad core, but even the latest CPUs are struggling, given the state of the game. At seven years, you will have heat issues. Hope you have a water loop.

Your GPU is also 7 years old and again, the minimum required. Seeing how my old GTX 780Ti is twice the GPU your HD 5670 is, that one had trouble keeping a stable 20 fps.

Combining these minimum of minimums, you will find it EXCEEDINGLY difficult to run and will have SEVERE heat issues. The listed minimum is truly a minimum. There were a couple of people who have build below minimum spec builds that worked, but not since 2.4.

Just to be clear, there is no game yet. Just an early alpha state.
    9BTAGc2.jpg
  • Lord_Savage

Posted:
    Posted:
    CIG updates thier minimum requirements as frequently as they update ship specs
    "I am the hope o' the universe, I am the answer to ALL living things who cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth... a dream to some, a NIGHTMARE to others!"
  • Arunsun

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

CIG updates thier minimum requirements as frequently as they update ship specs

Actually the info Thylbana posted has never been updated, so the ship spec page gets more love, also those minimum requirements were a joke to begin with really.

Bod699's Twitch Stream
  • 1heUndertaker

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hi Thylbana Nyx and Lord Savage,
    thanks for your contributions, it really helps me to frame the challenge I have, in experiential reality! (?)

Yes, I agree, my old system is no where near the 'beautiful people' spec necessary to skate luxuriously through the universe of Star Citizen!

Yes, I'm ok with the Apha state of the game.
    The fact that this game is so supported, that all you have given me some valuable insight to it, is the motivation to get involved.

I suppose I'm just exploring the possibility, attempting a 'reality check' on whether or not to purchase Star Citizen now, or leave until some future time.

Thank you again for your time and sharing :-)
    You have helped me !

Cheers,
    Oz

• Lord_Savage

Posted:
    Posted:
    Lucky for you, you can build a Gaming PC to play SC for about $500

"I am the hope o' the universe, I am the answer to ALL living things who cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth... a dream to some, a NIGHTMARE to others!"
  • 1heUndertaker

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Lucky for you, you can build a Gaming PC to play SC for about $500

Well... that's interesting !
    Thank you sir!
    I'll have to see if it is possible to do this where i live in the UK...

Much appreciated,
    Oz
  • The_Space_Explorer

Posted:
    Edited: by The_Space_Explorer
    Posted:
    Edited:
    use this to help build a box https://pcpartpicker.com/ (country top right)
    ---> STAR-73VR-ZP5P <---
  • StarFerret75

Posted:
    Posted:
    I have SC running on 2 PC's

First is an i5-4690K with 8GB DDR3-1600 and a GTX 770 4GB card. I get a nice stable 30 - 35 FPS, pushing the game at 1440p

Second is an i5-2500K with 8GB DDR3-1600 and a Radeon HD6950 2GB (with 6970 BIOS) - and it gets 10 - 15 FPS @ 1080p

Now.

Bottom line and most important thing to keep in mind...

Star Citizen is not a Game. Yet.

It is an early Alpha Test in a public sandbox.... so expect some bugs, and some frustration, as well as some fun times!

The current sandbox area we have to play in now, is less then 1% of what the actual final game is going to be.

What does that mean?

The actual final game is predicted to feature up to 100 Star Systems and their planets.

We have right now, only 1 planet... and we can not yet land on it... so that is less then 1% of the final 100 Star System figure we've been promised.

You can do a few missions in space around this planet, but they tend to get old and repetitive rather quick... and the rewards you get for doing them, are usually wiped clean after every update Patch.

We are currently on Alpha Build 2.6.1, and we are "expecting" 2.6.2 later this week... if all goes as planned.

After that, there is a lot of speculation about whats next. Alpha 3.0 is supposed to be next... but a lot of players here believe its going to be delayed longer.

Why is this important though?

Because Alpha 3.0 is the BIG ONE, the one patch that everyone here is waiting for... the one that finally adds in the rest of the Planets in our current accessible Star System, and also adds in planetary landings and surface exploration... and adds in the main core mechanics of Cargo/Freight hauling and a better and more elaborate criminal/smuggling/bounty hunting systems... as well as space Mining.

It is speculated that Alpha 3.0 could happen anywhere within the next few months, to sometime next year...

After Alpha 3.0... there is supposed to be Alpha builds 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3... and after that Alpha 4.0... then we go into Beta Test before final game release... though this patch schedule could change at any time and the DEvelopers for any reason can and may decide to add in more Patches... such as right now 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 were not originally planned for, and 3.0 was hoped to have been ready before the end of 2016... which didn't happen.

Lastly, if you do chose to buy in, and back the development of this project, take note that a lot of us have a "referral code" in our signatures.

If you use this Code while signing up, it will give you an extra 5000 UEC and whoever code you use, they will also get a special reward for "referring you".

However, do not confuse this 5000 UEC, with actual in-game currency!

You will not have access to that 5000 UEC until the final game is released, as it is intended to gave you a little head start there!

Right now in-game we have a "test" currency called aUEC, which is not the same as UEC... a lot of first time players starting out often confuse the two, and come here posting complaints about their in-game balance not showing that extra 5000...

It is also highly recommended Pledging for the Mustang Alpha Starter Package instead of the Aurora MR Starter Package.

This is because the current system we have allows you to "trade in" your ship and "upgrade" to a better one, just like you would Trade in your Car for a new one. They will take the cost of the Ship you have, and apply that cost to the new one, and you then only pay the difference.

For exmaple, you want a upgrade to a new ship that costs $50. Your current ship by itself costs $25... so then its applied to the 50 and now you only pay the rest, another $25.

The Mustang Alpha has an extra $5 value over the Aurora MR, which gives it a better Upgrade Value; yet the two start packs cost the same... so, which is the better deal to you?

Good luck, and have fun!

StarCitizenSig3.jpg             Referral Code: STAR-4YTY-F5YZ
    Aegis Avenger Titan, Drake Cutlass Black LTI, Origin 315p Explorer w/ 4yrs Ins
  • 1heUndertaker

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

use this to help build a box https://pcpartpicker.com/ (country top right)

Hey, thanks Ozium-SC ! I will have a look at what the site comes up with in terms of price and spec.
    [hide]

I have SC running on 2 PC's ...

..... Good luck, and have fun!

Wow, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts with me Star Ferret !
    There is much for me to consider / keep in mind :-)

I've been a backer for a number of Kickstarter / Crowdfund things, including software / hardware developments etc, so I'm *fairly* familiar with the changing and fluid nature of projects.
    However, Star Citizen's scope and time frame is much longer than the usual 6-18month dev time I'm used to!

May I also take this opportunity to say a big ***THANK YOU*** to all of you who have contributed to this, my first question!
    Your help has greatly assisted me in making tangible that which was impalpable!

Cheers,
    Oz
  • Infiltrator_2K

Posted:
    Posted:
    Personally I'm glad SC takes a beast of a machine to run the game, because it means it's sticking to what Chris said it would be. If people are serious about this game then they're find the funds to build a gaming rig to run the game, otherwise they might as well play a console spec'd game like Elite Dangerous.
  • Quelori

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hi undertaker,
    From my experience I find that I'm averaging 32 fps.. My build is an I7-6700, 16GB ram, and a gtx1070. I'm running display at 1440p ant highest quality setting. Hope this helps you as you look at system requirements going forward.
    ADIClan
  • Captain_Akuzimo

Posted:
    As Savage said, if you know where to look, what you're looking for and who to ask you can build a mid-range gaming PC for reasonably low price. Just start asking here about what you do and don't need and I bet you'll get some pretty nice responses about what you can get for decent money and the aforementioned https://www.pcpartpicker.com is going to be your best friend for all things PC building.
  • 1heUndertaker

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Personally I'm glad SC takes a beast of a machine to run the game...

I hear you Infiltrator_2K , I'm beginning to *get* it I think, the idea that Star Citizen is 'just a game' is beginning to fade out as I read more of the huge quantity of info and lore available.

Back in the day I bought a Sinclair ZX81 so that I could play 3D monster maze and Flight Simulation.
    Then a ZX Spectrum for Manic Miner.
    Next came Dungeon Master, so I bought an Atari ST.
    Doom was the reason for my first PC build.
    Skyrim required more.

Now Star Citizen is on the way... the next step...

There is no doubt that my system will have to be replaced to play and enjoy Star Citizen in all it's fullness.
    Yet the funds for an upgraded system are not currently available to me.
    Which is ok, patience shall have to be exercised... funds need securing.

Perhaps an upgrade to my graphics card will allow me to experience a slight taste, a hint of what it is like.
    Like the hint of perfume on a first date... quite often the desire stirred by that first meeting can be harnessed into a long term commitment....
    I digress...
    [hide]

Hi undertaker,
    From my experience I find that I'm averaging 32 fps.. My build is an I7-6700, 16GB ram, and a gtx1070. I'm running display at 1440p ant highest quality setting. Hope this helps you as you look at system requirements going forward.

Hi there Qelori, thanks for the heads up!
    Sounds a great spec system, and it helps me to get your real-world experience!
    Much appreciated!
    [hide]

As Savage said, if you know where to look, what you're looking for and who to ask ... start asking here about what you do and don't need

I agree too Captain_Akuzimo, I'll be doing just that! Finding out what *actually* works and reading other people's experiences is the most helpful to me. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers all,
    Oz
  • Mosern

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hi undertaker,

I've got the same. Except an older CPU (2600k). I run at 3440x1440 at 50-60 FPS in Arena Commander. In the Persistent Universe, the Frame-rate is decided by server, and won't go much over 30.

• 1heUndertaker

Posted:
    Edited: by 1heUndertaker
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

I've got the same. Except an older CPU (2600k). I run at 3440x1440 at 50-60 FPS in Arena Commander. In the Persistent Universe, the Frame-rate is decided by server, and won't go much over 30.

Hi Mosern, could i ask please, just to make sure, is it the i7 2600k?
    If so, I have an i5 3470 (which I *think* is similar in performance) somewhere abouts, which i could put in to replace the i5 650 in there at the mo.
    Also, could i ask what motherboard you have?

I'm wondering if i got a 1070 (or a 1060?) then maybe my current system would deliver an 'acceptable'ish 20fps....?
    Just thoughts.
    I'm used to games not always running smoothly. When the lag gets too much, it motivates me to save for an upgrade...
    :-)

Thanks again,
    Oz