Options to make a ship PERSISTENT as a toggle for multicrew improvement.

TheJopp

Posted:
Posted: -
While I understand server problems and keeping track of items why not allow people to have the choice to make a ship persistent (up to a point).

- Multicrew with a carrack to a planet
- Set up ship as a temporary base on world
- Owner logs out and the Carrack goes *POOF*

Now we add a toggle instead

- Owner logs out and ship is still there.
- Ship keeps a log of accepted crew who can access functions
- Ship cannot FLY without owner (But Rover and Pisces could be assigned to crew)
- Ship can be hacked and STOLEN as usual

Yes, ship can be stolen and the one taking it wanted across the universe but for players who want to work together it would be a boon as they could continue to work with the ship and it's equipment just not MOVE.
  • Starlin

Posted:
    Posted:
    It wouldn't need a toggle for that...... the system has a method of reconciling the loss of the owner (by disconnect, death, or crash), and does allow the crew to operate so long as the ship's permissions are setup for it. Ships do NOT go *poof* when other players are present..... but they might go BOOM if shot at.

"The ship stats page is always wrong. If for some reason it is right, then it will warp reality until it is wrong again." -Manic
    "An object at rest, cannot be stopped!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight!)
  • KeithStorm

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

It wouldn't need a toggle for that...... the system has a method of reconciling the loss of the owner (by disconnect, death, or crash), and does allow the crew to operate so long as the ship's permissions are setup for it. Ships do NOT go *poof* when other players are present..... but they might go BOOM if shot at.

But with this someone with permissions would always have to be present you couldn't just come and go as you pleased treating the carrack as a base. I think that was where the op was headed.
  • TheJopp

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

But with this someone with permissions would always have to be present you couldn't just come and go as you pleased treating the carrack as a base. I think that was where the op was headed.
    Exactly. A little bit like a community ship where others who land THEIR ships could possibly access and use parts of the ships system and abilities .
  • Connor_Hudson

Posted:
    Edited: by Connor_Hudson
    Posted:
    Edited:
    From what I understand if everyone has the set permissions the ship's owner could "go to bed" and log out while the others go and finish what they are up to.
    My odds of navigating through an asteroid field are WAY better then 3720 to 1...Just sayin'
  • ArmorStorm

Posted:
    Posted:
    He wants EVERYONE to be able to go to bed, come and go as they wish. His idea would allow for nobody to be actively using the ship for a few hours and it still remain.
    Age and Treachery overcomes Youth and Skill!

Anvil Carrack, RSI Constellation Aquila, MISC Starfarer Gemini, Anvil F7C-M Super Hornet

Intel Core i7-4770k, 12gb RAM, AMD R9 380
  • Uber-Goober

Posted:
    Posted:
    I would never leave my ship around when I'm not online using it. My friends are most likely using their own ships, instead of crewing, and my crew will be NPC's.
    As long as it's a option that can be turned off, I got no problems with people leaving their ship around.
    In life ve get to soon Old't,
    Unt to late schmart.
  • Miggins

Posted:
    Posted:
    I really don't see a benefit of what the OP desires.

If my crew have been given the correct rights to operate the ship then, if they log on when I'm not there, than the ship will spawn at the last location anyway. If the ship did not already have that capability then either my crew would not be able to do anything should they go online when I was absent because they would have no spawn location OR their character would spawn in a different place to ther one they were in when they last logged out.

If that location was not "safe" when I disconnect then, even if eveyrone else on board disconnects, the ship stays persistant in the universe and the AI takes control either defending the ship or trying to get to some "safe" location.

What benefit does having the ship persistant when there are no players connected that could control that ship have over the current proposed method for how ships will behave when owner disconnects when there are other players on board that ship?
    i7/860 @ 2.8Ghz - 20G RAM - MSI GTX670 PE (driver 378.92) - W7/64 Pro.
  • Full-Frontal-Yeti

Posted:
    Edited: by Full-Frontal-Yeti
    Posted:
    Edited:
    @TheJopp

I believe you are getting a bit out in front of needed data for these assumptions.

"Options to make a ship PERSISTENT as a toggle for multicrew improvement.'

But without seeing and interacting with CIG's designs for the muticrew ships, we can not say if such would be an improvement or not.

Good to be thinking ahead. But as i say with none of their systems before us to judge we do not know if this idea would be a valid or even needed.
    Maybe better to word so as to say, just thinking about multi crew, rather than claims of improvement which can not be substantiated. In order to foster good brain grinding on the topic in general, rather than invite debate as to the nature of the idea being an improvement or not.
    16433466236_18ae7a8993_o.gif
  • Midnight_Wolf

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I would never leave my ship around when I'm not online using it. My friends are most likely using their own ships, instead of crewing, and my crew will be NPC's.
    As long as it's a option that can be turned off, I got no problems with people leaving their ship around.

+42

I treat my virtual ships like my real life car... nobody touches the thing unless i'm there to supervise it.

Starfarer Gemini (x2) │ Andromeda │ Vanguard │ Gladius │ Freelancer MIS
  • KeithStorm

Posted:
    Posted:
    I can see this as a replacement for ownership of bases if it were implemented. I am not sure if ownership of bases is a good thing or a bad thing. A toggle for persistence of a ship would be much more versatile and you wouldn't have to wag it around with you.
  • Weyland-Industries

Posted:
    Posted:
    Chaos_Fox:
    [hide]

[hide]

+42

I treat my virtual ships like my real life car... nobody touches the thing unless i'm there to supervise it.

Yeah the current 'persistent' method is punitive to player participation as your ship will remain persistent until the last human logs off, where a ship with NPC crew is rewarded with short waits after the owner logs off.

They need to correct that issue.
    The Corporation