As big as it is, Stanton is actually one of the smaller systems

HexKoda

Posted:
Edited: by HexKoda
Posted: -
The map of Stanton System shown on AtV was really cool, and the size is mind-boggling. But Stanton is actually on the smaller side as systems go. It's got no planets beyond the frost line. It's actually just an inner system, with no outer system. Other systems, with their frost lines at approximately the same distance from the star, will have many gas giants way out in the far reaches.

In fact, according to the Starmap (thanks to @SpectreEH for pointing this out) Stanton's only 5AU in size - compared to over 50 AU for Sol.

(While there may be no gas giants out past the frost line in Stanton, that doesn't mean there's nothing there at all. I.e. the AtV map seems to show only part of the system.)

Anyway, just something I thought was cool to ponder.
  • SpectreEH

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

The map of Stanton System shown on AtV was really cool, and the size is mind-boggling. But could Stanton actually be on the smaller side as systems go? It's got no planets beyond the frost line. It's actually just an inner system, with no outer system. Other systems, with their frost lines at approximately the same distance from the star, will have many gas giants way out in the far reaches.

Also, while there may be no gas giants out past the frost line in Stanton, that doesn't mean there's nothing there at all. I.e. the AtV map seems to show only part of the system.

The Stanton system isn't large by any standards, however there are smaller and there are ALLLLOOOT larger E.I our system. If you want to check out sizes take a look at the star map, it will tell you everything you wanna know.
    lbWft6B35G6MlbWft69B3HNc97dZjj
  • SpectreEH

Posted:
    Edited: by SpectreEH
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Stanton system is 5 AU in size, Tara system is 12, and our solar system with earth in it is 51 AU in size.
  • HexKoda

Posted:
    Edited: by HexKoda
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

The map of Stanton System shown on AtV was really cool, and the size is mind-boggling. But could Stanton actually be on the smaller side as systems go? It's got no planets beyond the frost line. It's actually just an inner system, with no outer system. Other systems, with their frost lines at approximately the same distance from the star, will have many gas giants way out in the far reaches.

Also, while there may be no gas giants out past the frost line in Stanton, that doesn't mean there's nothing there at all. I.e. the AtV map seems to show only part of the system.

The Stanton system isn't large by any standards, however there are smaller and there are ALLLLOOOT larger E.I our system. If you want to check out sizes take a look at the star map, it will tell you everything you wanna know.
    I've poked around the Starmap quite a bit, though I don't remember noticing system sizes listed. Are they? (Edit: ninja'd) Although certainly some of the systems seem quite a lot larger than others. I was just struck by how huge Stanton seemed on this new map, when compared to some of the other ones it's practically a micro-system.

On the Atv map even the local space around Microtech is huge compared to what we've got now. Then you zoom out and realize "oh, that's just this tiny dot on the map." Then you keep zooming out and hit the frost line, and then think, "Oh, this is only half a system." These systems are freaking ginormous. Which is a good thing, of course :)

Also, the fact that the gas giants tend to lie so far out kind of explains why Starfarers needs such good range, which is something I never realized before.
  • SpectreEH

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

I've poked around the Starmap quite a bit, though I don't remember noticing system sizes listed. Are they? (Edit: ninja'd) Although certainly some of the systems seem quite a lot larger than others. I was just struck by how huge Stanton seemed on this new map, when compared to some of the other ones it's practically a micro-system.

On the Atv map even the local space around Microtech is huge compared to what we've got now. Then you zoom out and realize "oh, that's just this tiny dot on the map." Then you keep zooming out and hit the frost line, and then think, "Oh, this is only half a system." These systems are freaking ginormous. Which is a good thing, of course :)

Also, the fact that the gas giants tend to lie so far out kind of explains why Starfarers needs such good range, which is something I never realized before.
    When you are out viewing all the systems at once, if you hover of a system youll notice "control disc" apear on the side of the system, click that and it gives you more info.

• HexKoda

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

When you are out viewing all the systems at once, if you hover of a system youll notice "control disc" apear on the side of the system, click that and it gives you more info.

Yeah, I just somehow never noticed the system sizes listed. So Stanton is, relatively speaking, a tiny system.
  • SpectreEH

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Yeah, I just somehow never noticed the system sizes listed. So Stanton is, relatively speaking, a tiny system.
    Yes indeed it is, and yet once we get the full system in 3.0, it will feel huge... I can just imagine quantum traveling across a 5 AU system, A person would probably have to fuel up before leaving, and imagine a 20 au system or ours at 51... a person would need to make multiple fuel stops.. seems to me like fuel will be far more important than we thought... Then again the current fuel tank size we have in each ship isnt probably what it will be once that mechanic is more important.

• HexKoda

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Yes indeed it is, and yet once we get the full system in 3.0, it will feel huge... I can just imagine quantum traveling across a 5 AU system, A person would probably have to fuel up before leaving, and imagine a 20 au system or ours at 51... a person would need to make multiple fuel stops.. seems to me like fuel will be far more important than we thought... Then again the current fuel tank size we have in each ship isnt probably what it will be once that mechanic is more important.

I've always believed fuel is going to be a huge deal. And while you're probably right that the current ship ranges are just placeholders, that'll remain the case even when the ranges are adjusted to reflect the correct values. With Stanton at 5 AU, I can see a player spending months at a time in a 20 AU system. I've always hoped the game would encourage players to have a "home system," getting really familiar with the people and places there as opposed to just hopping around Eve-style.
  • SpectreEH

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

I've always believed fuel is going to be a huge deal. And while you're probably right that the current ship ranges are just placeholders, that'll remain the case even when the ranges are adjusted to reflect the correct values. With Stanton at 5 AU, I can see a player spending months at a time in a 20 AU system. I've always hoped the game would encourage players to have a "home system," getting really familiar with the people and places there as opposed to just hopping around Eve-style.
    I personaly hope its a mixture of both, there will be times were I know a few systems like the back of my hand, and the rest were I just wanna jump in the fastest nimble craft and just zoom zoom and visit rare sites and buy rare goods ect. I think well get a nice mix of both. :D
  • HexKoda

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

I personaly hope its a mixture of both, there will be times were I know a few systems like the back of my hand, and the rest were I just wanna jump in the fastest nimble craft and just zoom zoom and visit rare sites and buy rare goods ect. I think well get a nice mix of both. :D
    Well by encourage I don't mean enforce or limit. Of course players should be able to move around between systems whenever they want, and the game itself should provide many reasons to do so.

On the subject of fuel, one of the reasons it might be crucial is that given that the ships all have known ranges, that allows CIG to set up routes certain ships will be forced to take to cross larger distances. They can place refueling points in such a way that to get from Hurston to Microtech, for example, a Hornet will have to take a certain route or routes because they don't have enough fuel for a straight shot. Whereas something like a DUR could just warp direct. This is how I always imagined the "trade routes" actually working.

• Connor_Hudson

Posted:
    Edited: by Connor_Hudson
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I bet it would be more like this. Planet A to planet B then cry astro then planet c
    @Hex Koda the leaper jump engines will be for the jump points . When we quantum travel it's a shorter range jump but we can jump within the system a few times before having to refuel

I'm also pretty sure we'll get one or 2 more cry astros if not more . But looking at the 3 we have in Stanton. They will be placed so we can get to Microtech and Hurston easily.
    My odds of navigating through an asteroid field are WAY better then 3720 to 1...Just sayin'
  • SpectreEH

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Well by encourage I don't mean enforce or limit. Of course players should be able to move around between systems whenever they want, and the game itself should provide many reasons to do so.

On the subject of fuel, one of the reasons it might be crucial is that given that the ships all have known ranges, that allows CIG to set up routes certain ships will be forced to take to cross larger distances. They can place refueling points in such a way that to get from Hurston to Microtech, for example, a Hornet will have to take a certain route or routes because they don't have enough fuel for a straight shot. Whereas something like a DUR could just warp direct. This is how I always imagined the "trade routes" actually working.

I like that :D, someone then with a starfarer then could capatalize on that.
  • SpectreEH

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I bet it would be more like this. Planet A to planet B then cry astro then planet c
    @Hex Koda the leaper jump engines will be for the jump points . When we quantum travel it's a shorter range jump but we can jump within the system a few times before having to refuel

I'm also pretty sure we'll get one or 2 more cry astros if not more . But looking at the 3 we have in Stanton. They will be placed so we can get to Microtech and Hurston easily.

I remember a few times were Chris stated that sometimes we will spend over 20mins in quantum travel, Going to be pretty cool to experience that.
  • Connor_Hudson

Posted:
    Posted:
    I know right? I remember seeing a you tube video actually that it would drive "casual gamers" crazy because most casuals want everything right in front of them. lol.
    Personally I hope it does take a few minutes to QT somewhere. I also kinda want things in the game to make casuals feel dumb for not wanting to work for what they want.
    My odds of navigating through an asteroid field are WAY better then 3720 to 1...Just sayin'
  • Dr_Krueger

Posted:
    Posted:
    Sol systems may vary with the amount of content. Planets will be key points with the most content available. Space may not be filled with so many stations but that would be probably balanced with the amount of sights that can be discovered (wrecks,derelicts, asteroid groups and so). Where Staton is a pretty active system. That means we can see bigger systems but with less content (at least if we are talking about space stations and landing zones).
    If I can't out-smart them, I will out-fight them!
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/SCAA
  • Dr_Krueger

Posted:
    Edited: by Dr_Krueger
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

I know right? I remember seeing a you tube video actually that it would drive "casual gamers" crazy because most casuals want everything right in front of them. lol.
    Personally I hope it does take a few minutes to QT somewhere. I also kinda want things in the game to make casuals feel dumb for not wanting to work for what they want.

@Connor_Hudson Im looking forward to a good balance. Like within the system it could take like from few seconds up to minute or two. In between Sol systems, From 1 minute+ seems legit. But you have to keep in mind that Jumping via Jump points wont be like you press a key a there you go. You are going to have to navigate while in a "wormhole" coz thats what the jump points between systems are. So the length of the wormhole defines the time that takes to get on the other side.
    If I can't out-smart them, I will out-fight them!
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/SCAA
  • Connor_Hudson

Posted:
    Posted:
    @ Edward I know.. that's so cool though. I watched an ATV where they explained the jump points. Those are gonna be so fun , As soon as they are in play I'm going to Nix and Null
  • Lightneed

Posted:
    Posted:
    The Stanton systems is going to be HUGE! Yet there are other star systems out there that are bigger... THIS GAME IS SO CRAZY! I LOVE IT XD!! Dream come true.

Also, If you all look closely you will see the jump markers for other future star systems. Possibly 4.0 star systems ;) those future star systems being:
    Magnus
    Pyro
    Terra

This game is truly going to be life :)! Soon to be a dream come true!
  • Arnick

Posted:
    Posted:
    Even at 1/10th the size, if SOL is measured at 5 AU, it'd take somewhere around 7 and 1/2 hours to cross from one edge to the other going at 0.2c. All in all, as small as some of these systems are, we're but tiny specks within them. It truly is grand, how big space is and I'm glad that they're capturing, even just a tiny fraction of it. :)

I can't imagine how long it'd take if they rendered the systems to true sizes. 75 hours to cross 51AU at 0.2c? LOL.

All in all, it'll be a voyage to cross some solar systems. I suspect a lot more people will be hanging out in just one a vast majority of their time, much more than people think. Won't be true for everyone and people will eventually begin to branch out. But man, these systems are going to look amazing around trade hubs and such. Bustling with all that activity.
  • KeithStorm

Posted:
    Edited: by KeithStorm
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Check out the size of Geddon and Helios on the star map. Going to those systems will be an adventure.

Geddon 137AU
    Helios 403 AU
  • Rorinthas

Posted:
    Posted:
    It is smaller, but some of the other planets on the start map have more volume but less going on in them, so size isn't everything.
    In God We Trust, all others pay UEC and surrender their sidearms before coming aboard.
  • BlueWanderer

Posted:
    Posted:
    I've seen people quote CIG about star systems averaging 5-10 AU (sorry, don't have the exact quote), with some smaller and some larger...

So, Stanton is "average", although on the bottom side of average... It is therefore, neither small, nor big, just average.
    Enlist with my referral code and we both get stuff https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-JDXF-J23T