Star Citizen quick start guides [v2.6.1]

Xris

Posted:
Edited: by Xris
Posted: -
Thank you for supporting the delevopment of the game!
This guide assume you have registered to the website, bought a starter package (mustang alpha or Aurora MR), use keyboard and mouse and now itching to start up a game.

In the next post you will find reference to the needed controls. Post 3 will be reserved for questions and answers.

Guides
A. How to see your ship in hangar
[Difficulty]: Easy
[Navigation]:Universe->Hangars->Self-land->Visit hangar
[Needed controls]: 1. On foot (basic)
[Guide]: 1.Load your hangar.
2. Move around until you see a blue/green spot on the ground. In self-land hangar, X marks the spot 8)
3. Left click on your ship. You might want to move back if your ship is blocked by your body.
4. Enter ship by pushing [f] when the "enter ship" comes up. Do the same to sit down in the pilot seat.
5. Hold [f] to get out of your ship

B. How to learn to fly my ship without combat
[Difficulty]: Easy
[Navigation]:Arena Commander->Singleplayer->Free flight->begin match
[Needed controls]: 2. Flight (basic), 1. On foot (basic) - optional
[Guide]: 1. You start up in your ship.
2. use the controls until you are comfortable with them.
3. There are landing pads you can practice landings and takeoff.
Warning! The geometry of the starterships are pretty old an you might get stuck. [right ALT]+[BACKSPACE] will respawn you.

C. How to learn combat with my ship
[Difficulty]: Medium
[Navigation]:Arena Commander->Singleplayer->Pirate swarm OR valduul swarm->begin match
[Needed controls]: 4. Flight (combat)
[Guide]: 1. You start up in your ship with two support ships
2. Soon enemies will spawn. 3. use the controls until you are comfortable with them.
Warning! Your startership is not very powerful and you will die alot. In Star Citizen skill/eye-hand coordination/muscle memory, knowing your ship and the enemy and cooperation with friends is key to success.

D. How to make your ship better
[Difficulty]: Easy (can be a grind though)
[Navigation]:Arena Commander->Ship Customization
[Needed controls]: None
[Guide]: The only way to buy ships and weapons without using real money is though the REC system.
You gain REC by playing the Arena Commander. You rent ships and weapons through the website.
Note on Mustang Alpha: Had 4 gunports (you start with only two).
Note on Aurora MR: You have two gunports and one missileport (you start with only two guns)
Warning: In Crusader you can oly use weapons, not ships, rented with REC.

E. How to learn first person shooting
[Difficulty]: Medium
[Navigation]:Star marine->Loadout customization (optional)->Multiplayer->Last stand OR Elimination->Set region (optional) ->Find match
[Needed controls]: 5. On foot/EVA (combat),3. EVA (basic)
[Guide]: 1. Before the match while waiting for people to accept startup of the game (press [x]) you can test out the controls and loadups.
2. Use the controls until you are comfortable with them.
3. Radar shown moving and shooting enemies and all friends. Be aware of your surroundings!
4. In last stand you take over stations by pressing F when you get "hack". You are vulnerable in this state so don't forget 3.
Warning: You will die alot. In Star Citizen skill/eye-hand coordination/muscle memory, knowing your weapon and the enemy and cooperation with friends is key to success.

F. How to explore the persistant universe (Crusader)
[Difficulty]: All - dependent on what you do
[Navigation]:Universe->Crusader->set region (optional) ->Visit Spaceport
[Needed controls]: All - dependent on what you do
[Guide]: The persistant univere will become the MMO part of Star Citizen. For now it is only an area in the Stanton system around the planet Crusader.
1. You wake up in your small quarters in your beginning space suit. You can change to your default clothing using your closet.
Warning: Exiting port Olisar without space suit will kill you.
2. Exit your room, follow the corridors and down the stairs.
3. In the middle room with a hologram showing Crusader, you can use [f] the terminals to order your ship.
4. Note the location of your ship i.e C03 and look at the walls for what door to exit to navigate to your ship.
5. Follow the signs to you come to the airlock and use [f]. Then follow the signs to you get to your ship.
Things to do in crusader:
- Do quests and earn aUEC - Available through your mobiglas.
- Be a pirate and visit the pirate HQ, GrimHEX
- Try out multiplayer ships
- Explore points of interests like space stations, wrecks and astroidfields for aUEC, weapons or datapads with stories/lore
- Do PvP through shipcombat or EVA FPS
- Spend your aUEC on weapons, armor, spacesuit or clothing.
Warning! aUEC and intems bough with aUEC will probably be wiped each patch
  • Xris

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Controls
    You can always find and change keybingigs with [Options]->[Keybindings]

1. On foot (basic)
    mouse to look around
    [w][a][s][d]- Move forward, left, right, backwards
    hold [left shift]- run
    [left CTRL] - crouch
    [x] - prone
    [SPACE] - jump, hold while [w] to vault over low fences
    [b] - toggle walk/default jog
    [f] - use (terminal, enter ship etc.)
    [F1] - toggle mobiglas/scoreboard - use mouse to interact and navigate
    [F4] - toggle first person/thirdperson/director
    [z] - toggle freelook
    [F12] - toggle chat -[ENTER] to type

2. Flight (basic)
    mouse to change direction while in flight
    [SPACE] - takeoff/starfe up
    [n] - toggle landingmode/SCM(Standard Combat Mode), hold to autoland when your speed is 0.
    [w][s] - throttle up (to 100%), throttle downd (to 0%)
    [a][d][left CTRL] - strafe left, right, down
    [q][e] - roll left, right
    [x] - boost strafe
    [left SHIFT] - afterburner. Hold to gain speed beyond 100% speed. Will hold attained speed if no change of direction. Will use boost fuel.
    [b]- toggle quantum jump mode on/off, prss [f] to activate. Will use use quantum fuel.

3. EVA (basic)
    As 1 +:
    [a][d][left CTRL][SPACE] - strafe left, right, down, up
    [q][e] - roll left, right
    hold [left shift]- boost
    [x] - break

4. Flight (combat)
    As 2 +:
    [r] - target ship closest to reticle
    [left ALT]+[j]- toggle gimbal lock - useful if you have gimbaled and non gimbaled weapins and need them to fire at the same target
    [mousebuttons] - fire weapon group 1 and 2
    [middle mouse] - aquire misslile lock/fire missle (if you have a missles)
    [g] - select missile counter measure, hold to fire. "flame" counter heat, "bolt" counter electo/magnetic

5. On foot/EVA (combat)
    As 1 +:
    [1][2][3]: choose sidearm, primary, secondary weapon
    [r] - reload/holster weapon
    [left mouse button]: fire weapon
    [right mouse button]: aim
    [c] - toggle firemode burst/single/full burst
    [v] - heal - 2. doses. You refill by [f] on boxes with "+" sign

• Xris

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    reserved for Q and A
  • Avalean

Posted:
    Edited: by Avalean
    Posted:
    Edited:
    You may want to start a thread specifically for this as this thread is intended mainly as a Hi and Hello for new folks. Good ides though just wrong thread me thinks.
    VHDy9PK.png
  • Xris

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

You may want to start a thread specifically for this as this thread is intended mainly as a Hi and Hello for new folks. Good ides though just wrong thread me thinks.

@Avalean
    While you certainly have a point, I frequently see the new folks asking questions in here on how to start to play.
    However, if the moderators move the thread elsewhere, I will of course not protest (too much).
    Thanks for your opinion!
  • Avalean

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yep I know, threads over time have a tendency to get diverted as is, just figured if you created a new thread it would not get lost in the postings in here that way everyone if desired could make a book mark then when new folks came in asking we could simply send them a hyperlink to that thread specifically. Also this way as you update stuff and it would not get garbled in here to boot.
    just a suggestion was all.
    best of luck the concept of course is still a good idea no matter where it is posted.
    VHDy9PK.png
  • Xris

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Yep I know, threads over time have a tendency to get diverted as is, just figured if you created a new thread it would not get lost in the postings in here that way everyone if desired could make a book mark then when new folks came in asking we could simply send them a hyperlink to that thread specifically. Also this way as you update stuff and it would not get garbled in here to boot.
    just a suggestion was all.
    best of luck the concept of course is still a good idea no matter where it is posted.

@Avalean
    You know, I did this because I think the new player experince could be better. If they want people to enjoy their first hour ingame, they should make a short video (max 5 minutes) showing them how to do the basic controls. They should also make sure that the starter ships always is the least buggy and well working in the game. Until that happens, the community has to do their best helping out the new folks.
  • Wyer

Posted:
    Posted:

Funny I was just looking for something like this thread and I've been a backer for years.

I think small videos for noobs (like myself) going through the basics would be a good idea too.

KUTGW!
    If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!
  • Xris

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Funny I was just looking for something like this thread and I've been a backer for years.

I think small videos for noobs (like myself) going through the basics would be a good idea too.

KUTGW!

Glad you agree. As said a short ingame video should get our new (and old) players going fast 8)

• TheNOOBIFIER

Posted:
    Posted:
    Did someone say Video?
    Click
  • I_AM_BARRU

Posted:
    Posted:
    @XRIS
    Wanted to say thank you for putting this together. I have been playing for about 2 days now and did not know you can do single player to learn how to fly your ships. Here I have been trying to learn, and not explode, in Crusader. Now I know where to go and test my joystick calibration and Voice Attack (thank you @TheNOOBIFER1337).
  • TheNOOBIFIER

Posted:
    Posted:
    o7 @Barru
    Click
  • Xris

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

@XRIS
    Wanted to say thank you for putting this together. I have been playing for about 2 days now and did not know you can do single player to learn how to fly your ships. Here I have been trying to learn, and not explode, in Crusader. Now I know where to go and test my joystick calibration and Voice Attack (thank you @TheNOOBIFER1337).

@I_AM_BARRU
    Happy to help and thank you for supporting the game 8)
    @TheNOOBIFER1337
    I'll support any petition for a no bullsh*t ingame video anyday. Thank you for your multiple contributions to the community!
  • Avalean

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yes they could do a bit of work sorting out the website, maybe making it easier to navigate for new folks. Agree we need such info for certain as we will probably not see any "Official" game tutorial release" until beta.
    Why I also give the courses I do in skype for new folks, no sense in making vids as it could be totally out of date with in a day or two. So until we get more stable will simply keep doing the skype thing for each individually as they ask for it.
    keep up the good work folks every little bit helps.
    VHDy9PK.png
  • TheNOOBIFIER

Posted:
    Posted:
    o7 @XRIS
    Click