GamesCom F.A.Q.

sOLARiZ

Posted:
Edited:
Posted: -
Hey,

Saw recently a lot of questions about the GamesCom and the RSI event there splitted to several posts and threads all over the Forum. I just want to collect everything in a short. The main Information should be for everybody this Official CommLink.

Gc_venue.jpg
gamescom_countdown.php

Date: Saturday, August 24th 2013
Location: Alter Wartesaal Cologne, Germany [google maps | location webpage]
Time: 08:00 PM until 01:00 AM (CEST, Timezone Information)
Notice: Subscribers, Golden Ticket holders and concierge members at 7 PM

Unofficial F.A.Q.

How many People will be there?

The Location is limited to 1000 Participants by German law. So entry regulations will be strict. In the RSVP Poll there were already over 1000 people saying they are coming.

How do I know If I`m on the entry list?

You should have received a Email from RSI with the Subject "Gamescom Invite Confirmation" (around the 24 July)

Any Authentication for the door list?

First and last name and photo ID will be the reference required for entry. If you own a citizen card and T-Shirt, bring it with you!

Is there an Age restriction?

Yes, 18+.

Do I need a GamesCom Ticket to attend the RSI Event?

No, the location is not on the fair ground.

Who of the RSI crew will be there?

Chris Roberts Founder
Ortwin Freyermuth CEO
Eric Peterson Production & Development
Sandi Gardiner Customer Support
Rob Irving Lead Designer
David Swofford 
Michael Morlan Media Project Manager
Travis Day Associate Producer - LA
Ben Lesnick Community Mgr/Designer

Can I bring my -whatever- +1 Person?

Most likely not. Event is already "overbooked"

Is there a waiting List?

There is, but not public. In the RSVP Poll more people claimed their "ticket” than available. In the confirmation mail RSI asked to mail if you can`t come to the event. So it is likely that they give the "Ticket” away to somebody queued.

Open End?

Unfortunately every good thing has to come to an end. The RSI Team have to leave around 1:00 AM, they have to catch the flights back on Sunday.

What they are going to show at the Event?

Well most details are a surprise. But besides meet & greet they are introducing the Hangar. "View and customize ships in your Hangar and socialize with Friends" Unfortunately not all Ships and hangar types are ready until Gamescom. More News related to the Hangar in this Forum Thread.

hangar_release.png

There is a "GamesCom Trophy" in the Store, what is it?

The Trophy is a in game Item you can place in your hangar. There is no picture or detailed description of it. It is a decorational Item, non functional. The purpose of it is to refinance a part of the costs for the RSI Event at GamesCom. Everybody can get one, not limited to the people attending the Event.

I heard about a Geocaching Trivia...

This one was canceled due to their lawyers precaution :( Instead there will be a beer garden "hangout" [link]

Will there be a "Wingmans Hangar" shot?

Yes, they will do a recordin but now livestream. [link]

where this beergarden trivia will take place?

Eric will announce some coordinates for the Beergarden at Friday between 15:00 and 16:00 [link]

what time this Beergarden Event will take place?

Friday around 16:00 local time.

Is the RSI Event near the GamesCom fairground?

Not on the Fairground but you can reach it in 10min by tram. Just across the river rhine. The location is nearby the main train station in Cologne. [Google Maps Direction from GamesCom Fairground to RSI Event Location] Notice: Every regular Gamescom ticket is also valid as a ticket for the public transportation on the same day. So no need to buy a tram ticket. [source]

Germany, Cologne, do they have beer?

Of Course they have, you can find all kind of information related to beer in cologne in this Forum Thread. In short, the beer in Cologne is called "Koelsch" served in special glasses called "Stange". If you want to order several beer you can order one meter. (1 meter beer ~11 glasses)

Is RSI having a regular GamesCom Booth?

No, not this time. CIG is using the CryTek Booth for Press appointments. (Hall 4.1 Stand: A037 B036) Note: this booth is not part of the consumer Area, you need to have a business admission and most likley a appointment.

What is RSVP?

Simple: Responding as notice of attending. Detailed: Wikipedia/RSVP

I want to visit the GamesCom during the day

Because it is Saturday please book your GC ticket in Advance. Last year and the year before no day tickets were sold on Saturday. Another Note: The Trade Fair is spitted in two parts, the Consumer show and the business part. The business part (where the CryTek booth is) will be opened only from Wednesday till Friday. [detailed opening times]

Where/how to buy a Gamescom ticket?

You can find all Information related to the gamescom tickets on this page.
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Updates

1 August: RSVP People, Ending Time, Hangar Shot, regular GC booth, Public transportation ticket
    3 August: Fixed some typos
    4 August: Added "Meet CommLink" href to attending RSI Crew
    9 August: Trivia exchanged by beer garden event
    18 August: More info abou the Trivia / Berrgarden Event
  • Lastof

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Couple of changes I'd suggest.

Home many People will be there?
    The Location is limited to 1000 Participants by German law. So entry regulations will be strict. In the RSVP Poll there were already 2826 people saying they are coming.

I only get 1099, not 2826, from the RSVP poll (3925x0.28, max of 1119 if we use 0.285 to cover rounding).

Open End?
    Unfortunately every good thing has come to an end. And so the RSI Event will end at around 1:00 AM. The CIG Team have to catch the flights back on Sunday.

Every good thing has to come to an end, unless you are being very pessimistic. And, the 1AM might just be when CIG are leaving, all the comm link says is "The team will be on hand to interact with you until 1 AM". That doesn't necessarily mean we will be kicked out the venue then.

Is there Wingmans Hangar shot?
    Well I do not have the reference to that but several people in the Forum mentioned that Eric said they will be shooting some scenes, yes.

This topic is the source on that.

Is RSI having a regular GamesCom Booth?
    No, not this time. Rumors saying that CIG is using the CryTek or other Partner Booth for Press appointments. (Not Public)

More than a rumour. You can search them on the Gamescom site. Hall 4.1, Stand: A037 B036, which if you search CryTek is indeed their stall in the Press and Business area.

Hope that helps.
    Lastof - Member of the Loose Alliance of Mercenaries and Privateers
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    @Lastof Thanks, for the additions. I updated the FAQ accordingly. I`m Not a native speaker - not hard to guess hehe - so this explains the grammar :(

Thanks again.
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I just give it a little push. Would be a pity if the work I put into was for nothing.

Or is it indeed a uneccesary thing ? What do you think? Usefull or crap?
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    Just a small push, only 21 days to go until RSI Event @ Gamescom
  • Alloc

Posted:
    Posted:
    Looks really good. Great work mate
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks, need to keep it a bit pushed until 24th :)
  • Ranzard

Posted:
    Posted:
    Good job man, MVP for sure :)
  • Otoger

Posted:
    Posted:
    thx found what i was locking for
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    Added a link to the attending RSI crew members. (if introduction present)
  • Tuk

Posted:
    Posted:

What do you think? Usefull or crap?

Definitely usefull.

It provokes the desire but it takes away the performance.
    Puttin' warheads on the foreheads.
    If I die before this game is released, I'll really be pissed.
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!.
    Let's give it a good shake and see what falls out! ☻
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    Corrected Hall Link
  • SupaBass1

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks, this is very helpful
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    Just a small push. Only 19 days to go. :)
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Update.

Today another confirmation mail was sent to all registered users asking to send a cancellation email if they can`t come to the event.

Only 16 days to go.
  • Tuk

Posted:
    Posted:
    16 days!!!
    I'm already going tingly for tomorrow's WH.
  • Tr-Hawk

Posted:
    Posted:
    From what I've heard on the chat the geocaching event had to be canceled due to lawyer's advice. The event seems to be replaced with a trivia in a beergarden. I haven't found any official information though, yet.
    ---
    "All your base are belong to us"
  • Tuk

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yepp, seems to be off. Beergardentrivia sound better anyway. More beer, less walking. Just don't do as he did XD

True Story - many years ago, as an 18 year old British Soldier, my first posting was germany.
    First night out with the lads from my squadron, my round came along, I asked, how i should ask for 5 Beer's

"Ich habe ein kliene pimmel" one of the guys offers. So off i went, and watched as the bar maid pissed herself laughing, and just says in english, How many ?

• Cathulhu

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yeah, whoever told him that was really cruel. For those not fluent in German, he taught that poor soldier how to tell someone that he suffers from small genitalia, just in less friendly words.

If you want to order a beer, just say:
    1 Beer - Ein Bier bitte! (beer and Bier are pronounced almost identical)
    5 Beer - Fünf (Fuenf) Bier bitte!

And you shouldn't have that much problems ordering in English, Cologne has a lot of conventions, so foreigners are not an uncommon sight and since our beer is kinda famous, a lot of tourists/visitors tend to visit one of the Brauhäuser/brewery pubs (singular Brauhaus) of which Cologne has quite a few to offer.
    Proud owner of an Origin Jumpworks 315p and Aurora LN
    Thank you guys at CIG for making August 24th, 2013 a really great day. Thank you all for this memento.
  • JumpD

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very nice.
    Joystick Required Forums - A Community for Space Simulation Gaming since 2004
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    Does anybody have a official source that the geocaching was canceled?
  • Lythe

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very nice work, @sOLARiZ !

And to those English speakers afraid of language barriers in Germany: English is taught in (almost) any German school, so chances are good that people will understand you, even if the only German words you know are "Bier" and "Bratwurst".

I was once asked by an American tourist in Heilbronn to please point him to the main railway station. He caught me right near the townhall where a tram / metro line passes by. These tracks go right to the main railway station in one direction (in a distance of ~ half a mile), connecting Heilbronn to Karlsruhe, so I pointed him in this direction and told him to "simply follow the tracks". We had a good laugh, he thanked me and off he went, following the tracks to the station. :)

So don't be shy, we won't bite. ;)

Cheers, Lythe
  • Nurmany

Posted:
    Posted:
    to CR and Cloudimperium:

i hope you guys have thought about making a huge (2meters on 3 meters) banner with THIS comic

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/34914/comic-chris-roberts-has-returned-to-save-all-pc-gaming/p1

on it, i am sure the author would give you permission for this... just make the orange writing in the subtitles a bit better readable...
    i think all those publishers at gamescom there will go nuts over it ... press too :)

"fire more money, launch all additional DRM and cash stores. convert as many free2play into pay2win as you can..."
    "no effect... his crowdfunding is too strong !!"

lol, that would be awesome.
  • Tuk

Posted:
    Posted:

Until now only yesterday's chat where I asked this question after reading Tr-Hawk's post.
    Some said Wingman himself would have passed this message in the chat earlier. Sounded like some "What if people do stupid things / get injured during the event" issues.
    But yeah, I'd be more comfortable with an official ComLink or statement during Wingman's Hangar.

• Tuk

Posted:
    Posted:

It has just been confirmed in Wingman's Hangar livestream.
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    yep, updated the FAQ
  • jim-martens

Posted:
    Posted:
    Is there any confirmed info about where this beergarden trivia will take place?
    With kind regards
    starFriend123
    Intel Core i7 3770 4x 3.4 GHz, EVGA GeForce GTX 660, 2GB
    16 GB Crucial DDR3-1333 RAM, 64GB Crucial m4 SSD
    2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Professional
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Edited:
    Posted:
    Edited:

Is there any confirmed info about where this beergarden trivia will take place?

Eric said that they will announce it right before the event as some kind of "Geo Riddle"

I guess next wingman`s hangar he will maybe announce some geo coordinates or somewhat not so simple to guess :)

• Tomkin

Posted:
    Posted:
    So lets wait for the Beergarden Announcement. Fortunately i live near Cologne, my Workplace is just a 2 Minutes Walk to the Event :-) !

Im looking Forward to meet some other old Space Pilots, for some Stories of old Times with WC 1 to ......

CU Guys
    Watch for former Lillys-Boys Members

See you behind the Stars

Tomkin

SC_T_kin_1.jpg
  • sOLARiZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yep, unfortunately I couldn`t make it to the beer garden event. Working in a Tech Event company running dozends off booths during the GC, unfortunately not CIG :( hehe they`re doing BYOC ^^ But we will see on Saturday.

FAQ Update: I added a dynamic countdown to the event.

gamescom_countdown.php