Noisy Negativism isn't the Way

Royalkin

Posted:
Edited: by Royalkin
Posted: -
It just seems lately that the negativity on the forums has recently jumped up significantly. I can't speak for everyone, but I just want CIG to know that not all of us feel the way that the negative vocal minority do. Please also consider the silent majority.

Please keep working on the game, ensuring that it is the best that it can be. You have no publisher breathing down your neck, forcing a date for release, or that you release half a game and selling the remainder via microtransactions. Please use that time with our support to ensure the BDSSE!

aTYLUHP.jpg

For those that might be a bit too stressed out, or suffering from negativity, I suggest you listen to this awesome 80's song.

0.jpg
HDN3bkj.gif
  • Hurricane_Moon

Posted:
    Posted:
    the dream is real,and one day it will be all ours to enjoy
  • humanevil

Posted:
    Posted:
    Op I hope your ready for some mega backlash from the world's "greatest" community
    "Who has time to read these days? Spreading FUD is way easier. "
    iN12tB.jpg
  • Ibly1

Posted:
    Posted:
    As weird as it sounds the negativity is support. Because it's a forum it would be too much to itemize everything you like about the project when you post something. If you don't like IM mode for example, that's what you're going to talk about but all the rest of the things you're silent on you think are great. In fact the intensity that people have comes from the fact that they are fans. The people that are truly unhappy aren't here, they've moved on.

I guess what I'm getting at is don't read to much into the negativity. It's just an extremely high volume of different individuals all talking about different individual things but when you look at it as a whole it's misleading. Everyone is passionate about their 2 or 3 important issues and that's pretty much it for the majority.
  • DuryaDen

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

It just seems lately that the negativity on the forums has recently jumped up significantly. I can't speak for everyone, but I just want CIG to know that not all of us feel the way that the negative vocal minority do. Please also consider the silent majority.

+42
    not the silent majority now;-)
    62d6ec931e7bb10e9c46f007749b9cee2.jpg

• Elvis-Fett

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'd rather have honest negativity than blind fanboyism.
  • I_Nightwing_I

Posted:
    Posted:
    The negativity is necessary. It got us the schedule report. It makes Chris know he cannot just do whatever he wants to indefinitely. He's horrible at keeping bloat down and respecting milestones and he has no one pushing him to respect deadlines but us. If everyone was in the "Delays are great!" camp this game will be bloated to oblivion.

What i don't see is actual haters bashing for fun on the forums. EVERYONE here is invested and wants to see this through.
    fe599MS.jpg
  • O5ighter

Posted:
    Posted:
    It's another one of these thread that reads "If you don't 100% believe in the project, you are a hater and a negative nancy".

Like @Ibly1 said, those that don't give a crap anymore have moved on. Those that are still here, care. Just not everyone buys the Marketing spiel anymore.
  • 0bscure

Posted:
    Posted:
    Positivity for the sake of positivity is equally merited to negativity for the sake of negativity. Both are expressions of passion. Passion is an emotional response and emotions are inherently irrational. Irrational responses do not produce rational discourse. Both are unproductive.

Don't like the negativity? Positivity isn't it's counterpoint. Reason is it's counterpoint.
    32391793291_989a87c56b_o.png
  • S-Farer

On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited: by S-Farer
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Edited:
    @Royalkin

The subject of this thread

led me to believe you were going to offer an explanation of what it is not the way to do something and what the correct way might be yet you offer no such thing in your posting. Thus the thread is incongruous and i expect all the content here will prove that out.
  • Binxoo

Posted:
    Posted:
    Negativism is the voice to tell something going wrong.
    And yea we are there today where the negative takes over the hype because the backer reasons.

It's a way to improve communication, gameplay.

Don't take note of backers opinions and u'll face a wall.

Improvement comes out of negativism, not hypsterism, i personaly more often point out things i dont like than things i like.

Why; because it's human being.
  • William_Troop

Posted:
    Posted:
    Negativity is necessary.
    For example, I hate gameplay mechanic "X".
    By expressing my negativity toward "X", I'm letting people know that I see a reason "X" should be fixed or removed.

Some people are not good at articulating to express why "X" doesn't work for then, or even have a suggestion on fixing "X".
    But by expressing their negativity, their voice is counted. As all SH owner know "The squeaky wheel gets the oil".
    0.02UEC

• emkayen

Posted:
    Posted:
    There is a lot that CIG has mishandled in their communications, and how they have mislead the community on occasions. Without any publisher, negativity on the forums is the only way backers can hold CIG accountable for their actions. Some criticism does seem unfounded, but taking the "all hail CIG who can do no wrong" approach does not help neither.

The rise in negativity could be due to a rise in people thinking CIG are not addressing long standing concerns or sticking to their pledge on being honest about the progress of development (for example the ilfronic fiasco, and the SQ42 demo that was days from being ready at gamescon, then was cancelled because it "would take too long"). It could be that a number of the "silent majority" are discontented and the progress of 2016 has added their voice to discontented side. I am actually one of these, I lurked in the forums since the original kickstarter, but my disappointment of citcon and gamescon brought me out from the shadows.

The negativity means people are concerned about a project they believe in. This is a good thing in my mind. They have not abandoned it. Despite my negativity about the way CIG is handling many aspects of the project, I believe in the end goal and look forward to exploring the verse. If I didn't believe in it, I would not have invested so much into it, or want to express my concerns in these forums that are not always the friendliest.
  • Conbor

Posted:
    Posted:
    Give someone indefinite time to do a job, and he will take it
    This without taking into account the lies

In all modes, OP is a troll white
    conbor
  • Eschatos

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

It's a problem when any positivity is taken as blind fanboyism, just as it is when any feedback that isn't praise is taken as hate. It helps when people don't see every differing opinion as an attack on their own.
    The Convoy™7Txqb5L.png est. 2943
    PLEASE VOTE >>
  • angelarch

Posted:
    Posted:
    OP you somehow equate "negativity" to all criticism which is wrong, and then you equate all 'negativity' or criticism to somehow stopping the game to be made, which is double wrong.

in fact, over the last four years, many important improvements to the game were the direct result of the 'minority' backers loudly pointing out mistakes that somehow CIG allowed to propagate through their work pipeline and QA if they even have that. At the same time, people remaining positive and silent has NEVER helped anything progress in this game. in fact, remaining silent and patient is what has allowed CIG to fall grossly behind schedule and make massive mistakes that are two late to go back and fix (ie. khartu, and star G).

The workers at CIG are professional adults, not babies that need you to coddle or else they might run away crying and stop working. what the hell are you imagining?

Since CIG has no oversight to keep them on track with a publisher, and also has a leader who has a history of not getting his work done instead adding and changing things forever and needing to be forced to release anything eventually; backer criticism and comments are absolutely necessary for this project to ever EVER get released, it is currently looking like 2022 release for the PU, and it is the silent majorities fault that the game has slipped this far, by not providing a united front to keep CIG accountable for anything, and rewarding them with more money every time they miss their internal schedule.

TVfyvGZ.gif
  • I_Nightwing_I

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

OP you somehow equate "negativity" to all criticism which is wrong, and then you equate all 'negativity' or criticism to somehow stopping the game to be made, which is double wrong.

in fact, over the last four years, many important improvements to the game were the direct result of the 'minority' backers loudly pointing out mistakes that somehow CIG allowed to propagate through their work pipeline and QA if they even have that. At the same time, people remaining positive and silent has NEVER helped anything progress in this game. in fact, remaining silent and patient is what has allowed CIG to fall grossly behind schedule and make massive mistakes that are two late to go back and fix (ie. khartu, and star G).

The workers at CIG are professional adults, not babies that need you to coddle or else they might run away crying and stop working. what the hell are you imagining?

Since CIG has no oversight to keep them on track with a publisher, and also has a leader who has a history of not getting his work done instead adding and changing things forever and needing to be forced to release anything eventually; backer criticism and comments are absolutely necessary for this project to ever EVER get released, it is currently looking like 2022 release for the PU, and it is the silent majorities fault that the game has slipped this far, by not providing a united front to keep CIG accountable for anything, and rewarding them with more money every time they miss their internal schedule.

+42, extremely well said
    fe599MS.jpg
  • Eschatos

Posted:
    Edited: by Eschatos
    Posted:
    Edited:
    To be fair the OP wasn't about criticism, it was about negativity ;). Criticism wasn't even mentioned.
    The Convoy™7Txqb5L.png est. 2943
    PLEASE VOTE >>
  • KeithStorm

Posted:
    Posted:
    If I felt CIG actually knew how much work they had left to do and some concept of how long it will take them to do it, I would feel much better. I have zero indication of that based on everything they have ever said or done.

If you have no vision of what success will look like how will you ever achieve it? I am not negative. I hope for the successful completion of the game. I don't have a time frame I expect the game to be complete in but I damn sure think CIG should have.
  • Mazive

Posted:
    Posted:
    /sigh....

Who even knows what is the majority or minority..... Found-less presumptions and wildly assuming anything is not the way to go about instilling confidence or even getting your point across.

I will not berate you however, if rose colored glasses are your thing, bully for you....

I will continue to follow the development with as much objectivity as I can, but voice my concerns to the rafters when shifty of questionable decisions are made.
    Am I 100% objective?... Probably not, but I keep on trying to see any event/issue from both sides before I do post. Sometimes I may not be able to see the forest from the trees. However, I can always rely on @Grafton, @Kaedan, or someone in the know to set me straight when I screw up... Thanks guys.
    chris update _zpssq4hgwgb.gif
  • Montoya

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Ok you CIG paid shill, who got to you?!?!

Was it Tyler? Jared?

WHO?

TEST
  • Artess

Posted:
    Edited: by Artess
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I've said this before but ill say it again. People in general are critical thinkers we analyze situations naturally. Why, because we are decision makers, we wake up, we decide what to wear, we decide what to eat, we decide if we are going to work or not (this one is up for debate), we decide if we should visit the bathroom or hold it a bit longer.

We are constantly weighing the pros and cons of every situation and usually this involves scrutinizing the cons more then the pros because we won't waste time tearing apart something we are comfortable with.

Because of this we naturally look for the negative. Not necessarily because we are negative or want to be negative but because we are trying to avoid the negative or what we perceive as negative. Though there are some posters that don't know how to offer critical analysis and constructive feedback, but I think they are far and few between.

So weather you like it or not criticism is here to stay.
    "He who takes offence when no offence is intended is a fool. He who takes offence when offence is intended, is still a fool."
  • Full-Frontal-Yeti

Posted:
    Edited: by Full-Frontal-Yeti
    Posted:
    Edited:

I am in this POV philosophy to be sure.

However i do note that IRL this general strategy does appear to be The Way that woks just fine for plenty of people to achieve their goals.

Not saying i approve of it from a socio-philosophical POV. But i clearly see the evidence before me in the world that this approach to life does seem to have a reasonably good sucess rate for those that employ it.

So while i do not see it as good for "us" it seems a reliable approach if there is only a "me" in the POV and no "we" to be concerned about.
    16433466236_18ae7a8993_o.gif
  • KristovK

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

To be fair the OP wasn't about criticism, it was about negativity ;). Criticism wasn't even mentioned.

Yep, OP seems aimed at all the negative comments that keep being tossed around, most of which have no criticism attached, just pure negative comments and insults concerning the ability of CIG et al and Chris specifically, see a few in this thread even.

Honest criticism is good, it's needed, and even the most ardent of the fanboys around here have given it, NONE of us is completely happy with the way CIG is doing things, be it the flight model, the graphics, the game mechanics, whatever, no one is 100% in love with everything Star Citizen.

Conversely, some people are 100% unhappy with everything Star Citizen and make sure to let everyone know it every chance they get, and that's the negativity I believe the OP is talking about.
  • Dfox

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

/sigh....

Who even knows what is the majority or minority..... Found-less presumptions and wildly assuming anything is not the way to go about instilling confidence or even getting your point across.

I will not berate you however, if rose colored glasses are your thing, bully for you....

I will continue to follow the development with as much objectivity as I can, but voice my concerns to the rafters when shifty of questionable decisions are made.
    Am I 100% objective?... Probably not, but I keep on trying to see any event/issue from both sides before I do post. Sometimes I may not be able to see the forest from the trees. However, I can always rely on @Grafton, @Kaedan, or someone in the know to set me straight when I screw up... Thanks guys.

+42 to this. I feel the same way.
    vin34hk.png
  • Logicsol

Posted:
    Posted:

The idea shouldn't be to be silent if you have criticism or negativity.

The idea should be to be constructive in how you communicate that and to try and give objective feedback.

If you've got feedback or criticism, identity what you think the problem is and share how you'd want that.

But just making noise isn't really helpful, I'll give the OP that. If you're too subjective in how you provide that feedback, don't be too surprised if your not well understood and they end up "fixing" your problem in the wrong direction.
    Lhl72jE.jpg
  • Kefeinzel

Posted:
    Off to make my new thread "Pernicious Positivism isn't the way"...
    890 Jump, Vanguard, Hurricane, Gladiator - Site Beta tester - Org tester - Original 250 DFM tester - Golden Ticket holder - http://web.archive.org/web/20121229173010/http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge
  • angelarch

Posted:
    Posted:
    "Petulant Positivism isn't the way"

TVfyvGZ.gif
  • Oktorok

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

It gets tiresome to be called a blind fanboy when giving CIG the benefit of the doubt in certain circumstances. For some it gets to the point where sounding like a fanboy is the price for debating against blind anger -

Don't label a person and lump them into a group just because they don't share your point of view.

(unfortunately - it's the way the world works nowadays when there is a polarizing issue . . .)
    29xauzb.png
  • GeoToaster

Posted:
    Posted:
    I like how (positive or negative) if you post your views, everyone will be more than happy to shit all over it because this is the internet. What's even worse is those shooting everyone down are the same people, and they don't seem to perpetuate the same views, they just shit on you for the sake of shitting on you. Anonymity allows for such childish behavior.

I agree for the most part that we have a good community for the most part, but the forums seems to pool together the worst of our community. It's that way with any game forum however.
  • Thermoluminescence

Posted:
    Posted:
    Criticism aside, I think the whining has to simply be due to people not growing up.

Whining louder and louder and expecting people to do what you want based on how loud you whine is something children do, small children. Somehow some people don't ever mature past that stage.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.