Lumberyard for those interested...

croberts68

Developer

Posted:
Edited: by Zyloh-CIG
Posted: -
Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

p.s. I wont be replying to this as it is Christmas and I am meant to be enjoying a bit of time off with my family (and playing some games - you may see me pop into a Star Marine or AC match or two!)

p.p.s Happy Holidays All!
  • Sensato

Posted:
    Edited: by Sensato
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Awesome news for the Future. Thanks for sharing.
    Happy Holidays Chris!.
    w8WGp0Y.png
  • Miggy500

Posted:
    Posted:
    WOW Chris! Your posting today! Thanks for the info and hope both you and yours have a great holiday o7
    300 League photo 300League.jpg
    Get free UEC if you decide to join in with us all in 'verse by using my referral code: STAR-CM74-K24D
  • Kane_Voyager

Posted:
    Posted:
    Merry Christmas CR & the Whole Team in all parts of the world.

Looking forward to 2017 & how the BDSSE turns out!
  • Schnuez_the_Cook

Posted:
    Posted:
    Merry Christmass to all of CIG.
    29xauzb.png
  • syn666

Posted:
    Posted:
    Merry Christmas!
  • stellarcitizen

Posted:
    The only thing that might now make people worried is that this switch might give Amazon a say in how the game is made. Including me, despite not having multiple thousand dollars pledged.

However, that is something to worry about when the holidays are over. Happy Holidays to all at CIG and Foundry 42 for now!
  • DaleChristopher

Posted:
    Posted:
    It's very exciting news! Sounds really promising!
    AVENGER PILOT...It was a decent ship once... thanks a lot Obama...
  • Dr_Murray

Posted:
    Posted:
    New and exciting, my two favorite adjectives!
    q3aogF2.gif
  • WonkoTheSaneUK

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks for the clarification. Happy Holidays Chris & family!
  • Quarnozian

Posted:
    Posted:
    Sounds like a win-win situation to me. It would be absolutely fantastic if Amazon used SC as it's primary focus for researching ways to make Lumberyard the best it absolutely can be. With the huge expansion of the PU planned in 3.0 coming in the next few months, I imagine it'll be a fantastic opportunity to stress test the network and see just how many players can fit in a single instance before performance suffers.
    [hide]

p.s. I wont be replying to this as it is Christmas and I am meant to be enjoying a bit of time off with my family (and playing some games - you may see me pop into a Star Marine or AC match or two!)

I hope you and your family, and everyone else in CIG have an awesome Christmas. :)
    My Setup
    Dual T.16000M
  • ChrisK3

Posted:
    Posted:
    joke
    Bah Chris, this doesn't follow the narrative of the doomsayers at all, polygon are pretty sure you've wasted years of coding and delayed the game forever. Not very thoughtful of you not to adhere to their established narrative.
    /joke

Happy Holidays Chris, 2.6 is pretty sweet and I'm looking forwards to 3.0 and SQ42 in 2017, but for now you and the rest of CIG deserve some well earned time off.
  • yeza

Posted:
    Posted:
    happy holidays for you chris, and the whole cig team :)

ps: thanks for the detailed clarification!
    Sinister Incorporated
  • DaleChristopher

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

joke
    Bah Chris, this doesn't follow the narrative of the doomsayers at all, polygon are pretty sure you've wasted years of coding and delayed the game forever. Not very thoughtful of you not to adhere to their established narrative.
    /joke

Happy Holidays Chris, 2.6 is pretty sweet and I'm looking forwards to 3.0 and SQ42 in 2017, but for now you and the rest of CIG deserve some well earned time off.

Tabloid, click-bait 'journalism' at it's finest...
    AVENGER PILOT...It was a decent ship once... thanks a lot Obama...
  • YorgaraZ

Posted:
    Posted:
    It was a very sensible thing to do.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    [REDACTED]
  • Perry_Hope

Posted:
    Posted:
    I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas. Get some rest. Happy Holidays
  • rent-a-spoon

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Lumberyard and StarEngine are both forks from the exactly the SAME build of CryEngine.

We stopped taking new builds from Crytek towards the end of 2015. So did Amazon. Because of this the core of the engine that we use is the same one that Amazon use and the switch was painless (I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team). What runs Star Citizen and Squadron 42 is our heavily modified version of the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine, just now our foundation is Lumberyard not CryEngine. None of our work was thrown away or modified. We switched the like for like parts of the engine from CryEngine to Lumberyard. All of our bespoke work from 64 bit precision, new rendering and planet tech, Item / Entity 2.0, Local Physics Grids, Zone System, Object Containers and so on were unaffected and remain unique to Star Citizen.

Going forward we will utilize the features of Lumberyard that make sense for Star Citizen. We made this choice as Amazon's and our focus is aligned in building massively online games that utilize the power of cloud computing to deliver a richer online experience than would be possible with an old fashioned single server architecture (which is what CryNetwork is).

Looking at Crytek's roadmap and Amazon's we determined that Amazon was investing in the areas we were most interested in. They are a massive company that is making serious investments into Lumberyard and AWS to support next generation online gaming. Crytek doesn't have the resources to compete with this level of investment and have never been focused on the network or online aspects of the engine in the way we or Amazon are. Because of this combined with the fact we weren't taking new builds of CryEngine we decided that Amazon would be the best partner going forward for the future of Star Citizen.

Finally there was no ulterior motive in the timing of the announcement. The deal wasn't fully finalized until after the release of 2.5 and we agreed with Amazon to announce the switch and partnership upon the release of 2.6, which would be the first release on Lumberyard and AWS. If you have been checking out our schedule updates you would know that we originally had hoped to release 2.6 at the beginning of December, not Friday the 23rd!

I hope this clears up some of the speculation I have seen. We are very excited to be partnered with Amazon and feel this move is a big win for Star Citizen and by extension everyone that has backed the project.

p.p.s Happy Holidays All!

Haters gonna hate, I've been playing since day one and I feel that the game is going in the right direction, have a good Christmas.
  • ZoeSedai

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thank you.
    Enjoy the time with your family.
    I wish you and everyone a merry Christmas.
    =)
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass,
    leaving Memories that become Legend.
    Legend fades to Myth, and even Myth is long forgotten
    when the Age that gave it birth comes again.
  • Taarakhan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Forget the forums, and forget the media. There will always be fresh entitlement and BS.

Instead, chase your wife around the house in nothing but socks, and have a merry Christmas. Cheers.
  • GruffDaddy

Posted:
    Posted:
    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!
    300iGD2banner_zps606db0e4.jpg
  • Fyre

Posted:
    Posted:
    Merry Christmas
    I Trust Chris Roberts2239773.jpg

• ChrisK3

Posted:
    Edited: by ChrisK3
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

joke
    /joke

Tabloid, click-bait 'journalism' at it's finest...
    Yeah why do research for 30 mins or ask CIG for clarification when you can rush out a "story" connecting supposed delays, crytek downsizing after being unable to pay employees that fits your previously established "SC is never coming out, it's a scam, it's NMS2: electric boogaloo" narrative? so sleazy. I guess if your revenue is based on clicks not being factual the added time to do research that yields less clickbaity articles is a net loss, anyone with half a brain could connect the dots to realize what Chris outlined above. Wish gaming "news" gave CIG/SC a chance at least, their reporting in the past has been really bad but some of them seem hellbent on keeping up a negative narrative at this point.

Leave it to polygon to spin good news into a narrative of doom.
  • Journeyman

Posted:
    Edited: by Journeyman
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Thanks for taking time to clarify. The move to Lumberyard is very exciting and I look forward to seeing what the partnership will bring in present and future. :-)

A Merry Christmas to you and yours!
  • Fidibumm

Posted:
    Posted:
    thx a lot and Merry xmas to all.

dLtQg2T.png?1
    STAR-TXMH-5RDY
    http://imgur.com/b8D85qI
  • Valkyrie

Posted:
    Edited: by Valkyrie
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Certain establishments and people will always try to find the clickbait angle on anything. It's the only way they can make money or draw attention to themselves. Keep doing what you've been doing and the product will speak for itself.

Thanks for taking the time out to explain the change in such detail on a day when you really didn't need to. I hope you have a great Christmas and I look forward to seeing what CIG can bring to the table in 2017.
  • andersonev-123

Posted:
    Edited: by andersonev-123
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

The only thing that might now make people worried is that this switch might give Amazon a say in how the game is made. Including me, despite not having multiple thousand dollars pledged.

However, that is something to worry about when the holidays are over. Happy Holidays to all at CIG and Foundry 42 for now!

That's not really a concern at all, Lumberyard is just a build of CryEngine with Amazon AWS API integration for scalable/elastic server resources and hosting, if anything it is in Amazons interests to offer new tools to CIG to help them achieve their goal and in return, Amazon get the case study and marketing of a highly anticipated new IP on their new platform for promotion.

It's honestly sad that everyone loses their mind when a logo changes on a splash screen, but there you have it......
  • lord_rive

VIP

Posted:

VIP

Posted:
    [hide]

And how exactly Amazon would want to achieve that? This partnership is about CIG cherrypicking features from Lumberyard and putting it in their engine, just like they did with CryEngine and CryTek. I can't even imagine how would anyone think Amazon have any right to tell CIG what to do with their very own engine...
  • SloanWarrior

Posted:
    Posted:
    You stopped taking updates after the same CryEngine build? I'm guessing that was no accident. Bravo, and interesting choice. 2.6 is amazing, the new flight model is a great improvement, the new menus look sweet, and Star Marine is a great addition.

I can't wait to try out what StarNetwork brings to the table, what possibilities Item System 2.0 opens up, and to finally land on planets in 3.0 :-D

Join The Vanguardians of the Verse, a cross-org Vanguard Recon/Strike Force!

• Paulus1978

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yet again, you have to take time out of your holiday to deal with uncertainty over something people didn't realise was a positive. Thank you Chris, not only for the day to day work you've been doing at breakneck pace for the last 4 years, but for still being able to spot opportunities like these on the fringe of our development even when you're eyeball deep into the project.

Merry Christmas to you and the family, I hope you all have a well earned and restorative break. See you in 2017!
  • X71

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks Chris for the explanation, appreciate you taking the time to write this. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• TheBrocKelley

Posted:
    Posted:
    Merry Christmas to you all. :)
    "He lost himself in a maze of thoughts that were rendered vague by his lack of words to express them. Frowning, he tried again.”
This discussion has been closed.