That was a pretty big letdown. :/

Dewm

Posted:
Edited: by Dewm
Posted: -
So first, I've been a backer since kickstart and I still 100% believe this game will happen...

2nd. The stuff they did show (procedural planets) looked really really really good...and the sandworm was a nice touch.

BUT

WOW, what a letdown.

No SQ42 in 2016 (they have known this for probably 8+ months...but waited until now for us to know?

No SQ42 Demo at Citizencon.. I understand stuff wasn't 100% ready... but damn.. what a flop

No procedural city/planet stuff shown**

No snow planet shown (this is a big one for me, I live in Alaska..and snow is a hard one to nail and make it look good. AND microtech is supposed to be in the game in less then 3 months)

No demo of the Stanton system... crusader floating cities? nothing..

No 2.6 date (they could have at least said "before the end of the month"

Carrack date moved? This one only effects us Carrack owners.. and I don't have the video right in front of me, but they did say the team that is currently working on the caterpillar would tackle the Carrack next.. now from their "timeline" it looks like it'll probably be fall 2017-fall 2018

and on and on...

I'm not trying to sound entitled or anything, but I had really hoped to have some cool new footage, maybe a Bengal flying around... some cool city tech, maybe a demo of subsumption and how AI work...

Anyways, I'm putting my flame shield up. But I was under-whelmed to the max.

EDIT!: **I worded that extremely poorly. What I was referring to when I said "procedural city/planets" was really just procedural cities.. Sean Tracey had talked about city planets (like Arc Corp) and that they will use a ploppable tool kinda like with the trees, but use it for buildings etc..

The last month or so, Sean had been talking about it a TON.. AND we are "supposed" to see Arc corp in less then 60 days..

So I thought (honestly) they would do a fly bye of the Stanton system (which is supposed to be in 3.0), and show off a few of the planets.. one of them being Arc Corp.
CitizenCon 2016
  1. Did you enjoy the show?1625 votes
      Yes
      69.97%
    1. No
      30.03%
  2. Was the content shown a bit of a let down?1625 votes
      Yes
      42.58%
    1. No
      28.06%
    2. A little
      29.35%
  • smoothrider

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am seriously thinking about bailing out of this whole thing because this was just terrible.
  • xJudahWarriorx

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I am seriously thinking about bailing out of this whole thing because this was just terrible.

You're not alone bro lemme tell ya...

4A72y9m.png
  • Myrothas-McMillan

Posted:
    gr8 b8 m8
    krt_banner.jpg
  • Ithamander

Posted:
    Edited: by Ithamander
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Anyone who said they enjoyed that either lives the most boring life ever so this was a step up, or tuned in for only the last 30 minutes. Space face book nearly put me to sleep. I had to literally make coffee to keep going with the stream.
  • Ghost319

Posted:
    Posted:
    Can I have your stuff?
    New Laptop, new OS, No need for duct tape.
  • AmeriToast

Posted:
    Posted:
    Leave, No. Disappointed, Yes. They still showed off some great stuff, we just had to sit through many boring powerpoint slides to get to it. However without SQ42 or Star Marine in the presentation it felt lacking.
    "We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."

Super Hornet - White Shadow / Freelancer- Combo Breaker / Taurus - Iron Giant / Gladiator - Equalizer
  • The_Ez

Posted:
    Posted:
    The planet demo was good. Weather looked great and I like that they realise people will need a reason to get out of ships (the atmospheric warning bit). Also liked the editor bit after that.

The rest was boring and a let down, yes.
  • Somanuse

Posted:
    Edited: by Somanuse
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I think they couldnt get the Squadron 42 demo at a fully functional level before the presentation, otherwise it wouldnt have felt so short.
    [hide]

Anyone who said they enjoyed that either lives the most boring life ever so this was a step up, or tuned in for only the last 30 minutes. Space face book nearly put me to sleep. I had to literally make coffee to keep going with the stream.

Upvoted.
    Rn1MIac.gif
  • Kaedan

Posted:
    Edited: by Kaedan
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

No SQ42 Demo at Citizencon.. I understand stuff wasn't 100% ready... but damn.. what a flop

They aren't going to be showing much SQ42 stuff if at all due to not wanting to spoil it.

No procedural city/planet stuff shown.

Cities sure... but claiming no planet stuff was shown is just mind-bogglingly... What? Did you stop watching part way through or something?

No 2.6 date (they could have at least said "before the end of the month"

They are never going to give us dates again. They tried that, and the community as a whole was far too immature to handle it.

3MZl9Cd.jpg
  • Marukattt

Posted:
    Posted:
    ¨Their squadron 42 demo didnt finish in time, it was a disappointment yeah, but that proc planets v2 demo was amazing. You're over reacting
  • IMWeasel

Posted:
    Posted:
    CIG should put a box of tissues up for pledging.
    1159922.jpg

• Cyclic

Posted:
    Posted:
    I was hoping for some homesteading information. Mining introduced somewhere around 3.1 or 3.2 but exploration will be around 4.0 is kind of a letdown but somewhat expected. Was grateful for the roadmap nevertheless.
  • North-Dakota

Posted:
    Posted:
    It was poorly planned in some areas and the pacing was massively off. However imagine if they released those demo's as seperate youtube videos. You'd all be loosing your shit.
  • Coolmannico

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yea i agree, the planet demo was awesome, but other than that the show was very boring. I spent more than half of the show with the tab muted because i simply didn't care about all that community stuff. Was clearly just filler for what was meant to be SQ42.
  • Gators1

Posted:
    Posted:
    I think their version numbering system is +1 annually, so their roadmap should be just for 2017 with 4.0 being the last 2017 patch as 3.0 is for this year. I think the Carrack was listed in 3.2 if I remember so +/- summer 2017 as it appears they are shooting for quarterly patches. It takes months to build big ships like that and even if they start around the end of the year it might not make it for 3.1 around 1Q 2017, so it seems conservative to put it in the second one.
    Gators1 - Imperium Venetores (JG54)
    Use my referral code STAR-2HTG-M5F3 to get 5,000 additional UEC when you sign up.
  • Jaberwoc

Posted:
    Posted:
    I feel pretty disappointed too, i love this game but its starting to feel like endless development, demo videos and delays. The sq42 delay announcement really took the shine off the planetside demo, which did look awesome but i couldnt get excited. I think i need a break from following development and some kind of distraction for a while. Ps vr might do the trick.
  • Niarbeht

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Leave, No. Disappointed, Yes. They still showed off some great stuff, we just had to sit through many boring powerpoint slides to get to it. However without SQ42 or Star Marine in the presentation it felt lacking.

Did you NOT catch how the "procedural planet demo" was, in all likelihood, a pared-down version of their originally-planned SQ42 demo?

Seriously. Examine it closely.
    Join the 73rd!
    Without Victory, there can be no Survival! Bishop for Imperator!
  • Hector_Brough

Posted:
    Posted:
    I picked up a Polaris, but was disappointed with the scripted demo. Wasn't interested in the web changes. Give me my Orion and something to mine, and I'll vanish from the forums...
  • Exocet

Posted:
    Posted:
    The demo was very nice....But other than that it was quite the snooze fest. I found myself browsing my phone while 'watching' the stream. Needless to say I was disappointed and feel bad for anyone who flew in for that.
    I was hoping for at least a new ship to be flyable, or something other than a corvette class concept ship sale.
    nyBL1fg.png
  • theclink12

Posted:
    Posted:
    You people are nuts. Comparing what we saw just a month ago at games con, to this.. that is a massive amount of work that was done, and this is just what they were comfortable to show us. The s42 assets are there, but he doesn't want it to be a less than perfect first impression. I don't blame him at all.

Overall, I was really happy with the progress they showed, and the tool sets, totally amazing. (and yes, I work in tech, so I know how hard that all must be.)
  • Somanuse

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Yea i agree, the planet demo was awesome, but other than that the show was very boring. I spent more than half of the show with the tab muted because i simply didn't care about all that community stuff. Was clearly just filler for what was meant to be SQ42.

Upvoted. I felt exactly the same way.
    Rn1MIac.gif
  • Damiv

Posted:
    Edited: by Damiv
    Posted:
    Edited:
    You must have been watching a differnet stream than I was. That fucking sand storm alone was amazing, and I can't wait to dive into a storm like that myself.

Also anyone with half a brain knew last year that SQ42 wasn't going to be released in 2016.
    Banusmall.png Reality is for those too weak to forge their own path. Banusmall.png
  • Somanuse

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Can I have your stuff?

Damn, you beat me to it!
    Rn1MIac.gif
  • AmeriToast

Posted:
    Posted:
    No SQ42 and Star Marine Demo was a letdown for me. The show was still good but it could have been so much better. It seemed like they were teasing 2.6 being shown at Citizencon with the picture of the lobbies for both Arena Commander and Star Marine. Also no mention of when we will have multi-crew ships in AC.
    "We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."

Super Hornet - White Shadow / Freelancer- Combo Breaker / Taurus - Iron Giant / Gladiator - Equalizer
  • Deadlyforce

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    I was lucky, I opened up the live stream just before the game footage stream.
    After that I stopped watching to go watch the presidential debate.
  • Trollslayer

Posted:
    Posted:
    Everything apart from the last demo with the planets was very boring. I hope it didn't put off too many people who just heard of SC and tuned in to see what it's about.
    MrpKpzH.jpg&quot=
  • Svide

Posted:
    Posted:
    No SQ 42, space marine or any new content. Besides space book and the another glance on how planets will be. That's it. It just cuts off.
  • Zwade

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

You must have been watching a differnet stream than I was. That fucking sand storm alone was amazing, and I can't wait to dive into a storm like that myself.

Also anyone with half a brain knew last year that SQ42 wasn't going to be released in 2016.

This so much this
  • IMWeasel

Posted:
    Posted:
    meh they could have done with some more talking and mo cap acting in there

1159922.jpg

• Sken

Posted:
    Posted:
    You know what Space Facebook meant to me?

I can know where my friends are mining on my phone while watching TV with my wife. I can get an emergency reinforcement request while working in my yard. Voices in-game will be positional, probably with it cutting over to radio comms when they get far enough away. And I can listen in on all that while I'm not in-game.

Know what else I can do? Spy on rival org comms while waiting for a good time to double cross them. Know the positions in-verse of their reinforcements while making dinner, and sell the info to the org getting ready to make a strike on their fleet. The implications are pretty substantial, but hey at least you have your coffee.

So what if SQ42 isn't ready to show yet. Maybe we're not looking at a Christmas release schedule anymore; who cares. The game is getting more polish, and I already own my key so I dgaf when it comes out, I care if it will be mind-blowingly fun, detailed, and beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.