Q&A: Anvil Terrapin

• RadiantFlux

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I was going to make a few questions, but after seeing already posted ones, only one is left: does it come in black?

You should still second the questions you find most interesting so that they can pick better. :D
    [hide]

Woah. Go RadiantFlux!

I came prepared. ^^
    “The Eleventh Hour
  • AlanFord

Posted:
    Edited: by AlanFord
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Great post Radiant.

That's how all QA should be done by owners. Consolidate waht you know in one thread and then compile a list of questions for what's unknown.
    Novhag_zpsokashio3.jpg
  • EasyReaper

Posted:
    Edited: by EasyReaper
    Posted:
    Edited:
    well radiantflux has covered them all nice work

edit:

well i have one question:

"The Terrapin does not usually mount expendable weapons (ballistics or larger missiles)"

does this mean that if i wanted i could install a top and or bottom gun / missile - turret / rack even tho it would be "unusual"
  • Cpt_Lane

Posted:
    Posted:
    C 4)
    What top SCM speed do you have in mind for the ship?
    Nobody expects it to be fast or to get exact numbers, but a rough indicator would be nice.
    Like: Below 180? Above 170? Faster than an Aurora ES? Slower than a Hornet?

MAIN ROOM

D1)
    Will we be able to take out the chair inside the main room and reroute the sensor data to the pilot screens, or is the chair linked to the scanning arrays?
    YNbHVwA.jpg

Curious if the chair is mandatory/necessary to properly read the gathered data.

D2)
    Will the main room be modular and give us options to use it for cargo, a laboratory, troop transport, and so on?

D3)
    As how much SCU does the white crate on the side count?
    OTIJ69F.jpg
    This is just to get a relative understanding of how much we would be able to transport.

H3)
    Are there variants planned?
    Like: combat variant, cargo variant, stealth variant, science variant etc.

H4)
    Does it have an ejection seat?
    Seemed like an obvious question after all the DRAKE fuss. :P

H5)
    Can we modify each layer of armour individually?
    The brochure tells us that the Terrapin has 3 layers of armour. Can we later pick those individually? Like:
    Outer layer stealthy armour, middle layer good against ballistic damage and inner layer best against radiation.

---------

This are the real questions! I really want it to be bigger.. 30m lenght would be nice.. <3
  • DarkMyth

Posted:
    Posted:
    1.) Can the sensor suite on the top be changed out for a weapons turret?

2.) If the ship can be used for search and rescue can the interior be swapped out to act like the Cutlass Red does such as hospital beds or a medic station?

3.) Can this be used as a boarding / drop-ship for example can troop seats be added to the interior instead of the science setup?

4.) Can the Terrapin fit in the Carrack's hangar?
    ADIClan
  • Kieren_Akari

Posted:
    Edited: by Kieren_Akari
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Is this an exception to the "new" hardpoint weapon system because the nose is built-in somehow? A size 5 mount should be able to twinlink 2 turreted size 3s, or 2 fixed size 4s, except it only has 2 turreted size 2s. Is "The Terrapin does not usually mount expendable weapons (ballistics or larger missiles)" code for "you can't mount missiles or ballistics on the scanner hardpoint and you can only mount certain custom lasers on the nose?

Is the Terrapin the Pisces?
    Sig2.jpg
  • Darth_Ren

Posted:
    Posted:
    Can the scanning equipment be controlled by the pilot's chair? Or must it be done from the second seat?

• Wykstrom

Posted:
    Posted:
    Are there any plans to offer modularity to restore the Terrapin to its original concept of a mining/utility craft for smaller crews?
    Are you an unhappy Retaliator owner? Do what I did and ccu it to a Constellation and let the metrics show CIG that it needs a redesign.
  • Norrhart

Posted:
    Posted:
    Cargo capacity? Rough estimate please.

That's all I want to know.
  • Zulu_Sauer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Terrapin questions

GUNS

A 1)
    What size gun(s) will the Terrapin be able to hold on the nose mount?
    As it is a S5 remote turret we presume it will be able to hold a fixed S5 gun, or twin-link fixed S4 guns, or twin-link gimbal S3.
    But as it holds dual gimbal S2 in the concept, does this mean the calculation above must be downed by one size? So the biggest gun(s) would be single fixed S4 or dual fixed S3?

A 2)
    Will the nose gun be partially embedded in the hull when a fixed gun is used?
    A S5 or S4 gun might look odd in proportion to the size of the ship. (The Avenger lost it's big gun for this reason)
    It has also been stated by CIG that guns might have limitations depending on the restrictions of the ship hull/mesh/shape. Would this be a gun-size restriction here too?

A 3)
    Will the utility mounts be able to hold guns - or combat equipment in general?
    Looking at the Cutlass and Hornet mounts that seem similar in use.

A 4)
    If we are able to put guns or stuff onto the utility mounts, will those be able to retract as the current scanners can?
    The scanners are protected by retractable armor when not in use. Would these layers be useless if something of a different shape than the scanners was attached?

SHIELDS

B 1)
    Is the size two shield a medium shield equivalent to four small shields?
    As some ships still use the old sizing system this has led to confusion.

B 2)
    What is so spacial about the shields of the Terrapin?
    In the brochure we read: “To support such high grade shield generators [...]”
    What exactly makes them “high grade”?

THRUSTERS

C 1)
    How many thrusters does this ship have in total and what sizes are they?
    The documents we have about the thrusters are unfortunately confusing and seem incomplete.
    We have 12 thrusters listed but if we count them in the holo-view we can find 14.
    KUUtB7a.jpg
    Based on the holo view information we know the rear thrusters (blue) to be TR3.
    bNu7tqd.jpg

Due to the fact that the rear joint thrusters (green) are bigger than the ones at the front they qualify to be the second set of TR3 thrusters.
    The eight small thrusters (red) are clear, but it seems we are missing the size of the front joint thrusters (pink) which are visually smaller than the rear ones, so maybe S2?

C 2)
    How maneuverable are you planning this ship to be in space and atmosphere?
    I am asking about the general placement compared to the other ships:
    “In space it will be worse than a Hornet but better than a Vanguard”
    “In atmosphere this ship will be the worst of all ships in it's size class.”

C 3)
    Is the Terrapin better at 6dof controlled flight than most other ships?
    With it's usefulness in asteroid fields this would fit it well.

C 4)
    What top SCM speed do you have in mind for the ship?
    Nobody expects it to be fast or to get exact numbers, but a rough indicator would be nice.
    Like: Below 180? Above 170? Faster than an Aurora ES? Slower than a Hornet?

MAIN ROOM

D1)
    Will we be able to take out the chair inside the main room and reroute the sensor data to the pilot screens, or is the chair linked to the scanning arrays?
    YNbHVwA.jpg

Curious if the chair is mandatory/necessary to properly read the gathered data.

D2)
    Will the main room be modular and give us options to use it for cargo, a laboratory, troop transport, and so on?

D3)
    As how much SCU does the white crate on the side count?
    OTIJ69F.jpg
    This is just to get a relative understanding of how much we would be able to transport.

COCKPIT

E1)
    Will the chair and the instruments move up with the pilot when he is seated?
    Comparing the concept art image and the holo-view model we see that a pilot in the chair of the model is seated far lower than on the image. Is the presumption correct that the entire seat will move up when the pilot has entered the chair?

bmSQB2O.jpg

E2)
    How likely is it that the cockpit view will be a bit more optimized later?
    The front bars are set up in a impractical way for the pilot atm.
    The aim reticle is very likely to be on top or very close to the middle bar and the entire front seems too “framed”

A possibility would be to modify it, without losing the protective feeling.
    (similar as to how the new Hornet F7A has the upper strut removed, a little bit of bent glass would be ok? :)

It is an explorer :)
    Good view would be great!

(Upper image: current – lower image: suggestion)
    BHwCB5Z.jpg

Please, please, please, please, please. :)

FUEL

F1)
    Does the Terrapin have bigger than normal fuel tanks for longer travel?
    The brochure and info page suggest such: “The Terrapin has an all-around reputation as a ship that can get travel beyond the most distant jump point ”

F2)
    Can the Terrapin attach additional fuel tanks somewhere?
    Same reason as in F1

Well, that about cover's it for me. But if I had to pick a couple,

1) Does it have any storage? What about space for exploration gear, like suits and any thing else you'd need for exploration?
    2) Can you replace the utility mount with the hornet's turret?

• MrRule

Posted:
    Posted:
    In the Terrapin comm link post it says:

From a game design perspective, we view the new Terrapin as the first bespoke explorer ship.

What is meant by this? The 315P and Mustang Beta are also labeled as exploration ships and are considered starter ships...
  • StoneEvo

Posted:
    Edited: by StoneEvo
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Does the Terrapin have a docking collar or other means to dock with another ship or a station?

Can the crew eject via ejection seats or escape pods?
    Which other means of fast egress are planned?

How modular is the Terrapin inside and outside?

How is it viable for long term missions at its size?

How can Terrapin drivers earn enough money to justify the larger investment compared to buying a Freelancer Dur?
    Is there room for rare goods (small cargo space) on board?

What good is the Terrapin's armour, if the ship doesn't possess the weaponry to fend off pirates?
    Which are the envisioned combat / exit strategies for a Terrapin coming under attack?

Edited for bonus question:
    In the brochure it is stated that "the powerplant has been hardkeyed into the craft's main trunk." What does this actually mean?
    How does this differ from how power plants are installed into other ships?
    Won't the power plant be switchable for another brand/model? Will it be more complicated to be repaired or replaced?
    See You space cowboy ...
    See You Cowgirl, Someday, Somewhere!

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.
  • HrF

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Are there any plans to offer modularity to restore the Terrapin to its original concept of a mining/utility craft for smaller crews?

I'd also like an official clarification on this subject, and the reasons for departure from the original pitch.

Normally my mantra through life is to simply "Adapt and Achieve", but if there's anything the rigors of space can teach me it's that you adapt or die.
  • guildsbounty1

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'll second the questions about living spaces and modularity of the 'Sensor Room.'

And some new ones...

During the Gamescom Presentation, the screen showed that the Terrapin has 1 S5 turret mount, then it also listed a few Size 3 'Utility Mounts' on the top and bottom of the ship. What are they, how many of them are there, and what else can we install there?
    Actually a professional programmer. Which is why I'm probably talking about technical constraints or somesuch on your idea thread.
    Having problems searching the forums? See Here for a better way.
  • Foba_Bett

Posted:
    Posted:
    Will this come green with color stripes?

TMNT-1-small.jpg

Radiantflux covered rest..
    giphy.gif59jAwF4.png
  • waywarden

Posted:
    Posted:
    If this ship is involved in Search and rescue , how will it be able to stabilise and transport wounded soldiers? can it be a viable combat ambulance?
  • NikolaYutani

Posted:
    Edited: by NikolaYutani
    Posted:
    Edited:
    If the Terrapin is a two man ship, why then does it only have one bed?
    What is the cargo capacity?
    What is the fuel capacity/range?
    VJxDVIX.jpg
  • Macher

Posted:
    Posted:
    The Terrapin's brochure states that it will come with a pair of S4 and S5 utility mounts along with a nose mounted turret capable of holding twin S2 weapons. The brochure goes on to describe the Terrapin as a Tank.
    Question is, will the utility mounts be capable of being replaced with weapon systems re: the Hornet's top mounted modularity. Would you forsee us turning this "tank" into a Tank?
    Lower Morals - Higher Profit
    Black Flag Rising [PHEAR]
  • Schrike

Posted:
    Edited: by Schrike
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [Question]

What does the Terrapin offer the player as a 2-crew exploration ship that the Reliant SEN, Freelancer DUR do not? Why would I choose the Terrapin it over the other two ships? I understand that its beefy, but is that a requirement for exploration? Of so, does that obsolete the other two ships?
  • Damiv

Posted:
    Posted:
    I figured RadiantFlux would have things handled, and I was right. To reiterate what I personally consider the most important questions:

What are the largest fixed weapons I can fit in the nose mount? Single S5? Dual S4?

What is the cargo capacity with the scanners equipped? Personal gear only? 4 SCU? 10?

What will the view look like from the cockpit? Similar to the new hornet? The cutlass? The (gods forbid) Khartu?

Where do you see this ship fitting into the ship pipeline? Is it a SA42 asset that we will see within a year? Will it not be worked on until after Beta?
    Banusmall.png Reality is for those too weak to forge their own path. Banusmall.png
  • Daden

Posted:
    Edited: by Daden
    Posted:
    Edited:
    1) People are going crazy over thinking the Terrapin will fit in the Carrack hangar or somehow attach to the ship. Can we acknowledge this is not the case so this doesn't get out of hand and cause mass disappointment? Or, I suppose, confirm and let the gold rush commence. :P

2) What can we expect with regard to the Terrapin's modularity? Will there be hard variants or BUKs, or is it basically down to swapping the top mount?

3) The Terrapin does not appear to have any kind docking collar or even an airlock, but, rather, a ramp. Will the crew have to depressurize in order to actually EVA as part of the exploration experience?

4) Why was the idea of a utility starter axed in favor of a mid-range exploration ship? Affordable ships don't really represent the breadth of planned activities/professions for the game yet.

Get the job done! Captains, Crewmen, Freelancers, Outlaws and Scoundrels welcome!
    [/url]
  • Medinchen

Posted:
    Edited: by Medinchen
    Posted:
    Edited:
    1.) fits the terapin the hanger of the carrack ?

2.) Can i share the radar data to the other pilotes in my squad
  • Hateface

Posted:
    Posted:
    [Question]

Considering the search & rescure role the ship clearly plays. Where are the people and/or precious cargo supposed to sit/be stored?

Additionally, will we see some sort of crash cart system for the Terrapin? I'd assume some if not most people lost and in need of rescue will be injured or require supplies.

Thanks!
  • DreiPeso

Posted:
    Posted:
    Just watching "Yes Man" so I have to say yes to the opportunity to ask a question regarding the Terrapin, even if I normally don't ask questions, and even if I normally post almost no stuff at all in almost no forum on Earth. But what is Earth compared to THE Universe...of Star Citizen ^^

So, not having read any post in this thread except Jareds, here is my made up (right this moment) question:

Will the Terrapin fly like a brick in the atmosphere of a planet?
    krt_banner.jpg
  • maimus

Posted:
    Posted:
    Will it have a ground mode? So it can act as a hover tank?
    qDuZASv.png
  • Abednigo

Posted:
    Posted:
    Cargo Capacity?
    Abed1_zps49dcebf6.png~original

• Funkee

Posted:
    Posted:
    - Can the Terrapin fit into the Carrack or dock onto it?

- How many guns can it fit? Is the Size 5 mount at the front the only gun mount? Can the utility mounts at the top and the bottom be used to fit guns?

- How maneuvreable will it be? To what ship can its top SCM and Cruise speed be compared?

- Cargo: How many SCU can it fit? If not decided yet: To which ship can it be compared cargo-wise?

- How large is its signature planned to be? Can it remain rather undetected for reconnaissance missions?

- How variable will it be, can the second seat be changed for other equipment or more cargo?

- Any variants planned for future release?

That's about it from me.
  • Southfist

Posted:
    Edited: by Southfist
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I was wondering if the terrapin might come with the option of an Autodoc? It is touted as an armored transport, but I was curious to know if we can use it as an ambulance. Nice "Last starfighter" reference by the way. You go Centauri! Lol
    ELYA_Sig
  • plaguebone

Posted:
    Posted:
    Since we already have a few other competing exploration ships of similar if not identical capabilities (315p, Mustang Beta, Freelancer DUR but to name a few).

Since exploration is still not fleshed out which makes it harder to make a choice of preference exploration ship. What makes Terrapin stand out the most comparing to those other exploration ships regard exploration-wise?

Examples: Carrack is huge and modular compared to Constellation Aquila. Aquila may fit in smaller wormhole size easier and have more access where Carrack size is a drawback.

PS: Thank for doing Q&A.
  • jaberwok

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

In the Terrapin comm link post it says:

From a game design perspective, we view the new Terrapin as the first bespoke explorer ship.

What is meant by this? The 315P and Mustang Beta are also labeled as exploration ships and are considered starter ships...
    I would also like clarification on this. How does the design team see the Exploration mechanic stretching across the variety of ships that are now available for exploration? In other words, how do you all see the Carrack, Aquila, Terrapin, Freelancer DUR, 315p, and Mustang Beta simultaneously doing Exploration, while making sure that none of these is completely obsolete/suboptimal? Will this be similar to the shift in mining focus between the Prospector and the Orion, and, if so, how so?

Similar question about the S&R version of the Terrapin -- how does it compare to the Cutlass Red, and how will those two ships both make sense within the S&R occupation mechanics?
    "But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
    "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
This discussion has been closed.