Refining ship

cybore

Posted:
Posted: -
I think I saw the Orion had refining capability,
My thoughts were to be able to set up a portable refinery hub near a mining node maybe buy the ore at or just below market rates the refine it on site for transport to market.
  • Kamikazie

Posted:
    Posted:
    Add on smelting capabilities that allow you to store more materials in less area. This would be of benefit to the repair ships that they can then do more work between topping up and ensure this niche ship has a role/work.
  • Digit

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I think I saw the Orion had refining capability,
    My thoughts were to be able to set up a portable refinery hub near a mining node maybe buy the ore at or just below market rates the refine it on site for transport to market.

I haven't seen anything definitive as to whether or not the Orion would have refining capabilities, although I think it would be safe to assume it has a module for it. As for refining for shipping, I could see someone setting up a small refining market in an area of space where materials from smaller mining vessels could be refined by a larger ship, although we can't be sure that those smaller ships won't have refining facilities either.

I think this is something players should start up with no reason to create assets to do so. You can transfer cargo in space, so I don't see why you need a hub (structure) setup to do that.
    TEST

• cybore

Posted:
    Posted:
    My thoughts would provide a service to solo miners.
    They grind the rocks then exit the belt and sell the ore to my org at a fair price then they can go right back to mining with less down time.
    I would make profit by possibility refining the ores so it takes less room or using much larger hulls than a solo miner might use.
    Times a large number of miners.
    It will be interesting to see where the markets may be found.
    Maybe with mote hauling capability I can transport the ore to a market with better prices.
  • BorgCollective

Posted:
    Posted:
    I definitely would want some sort of mobile refinery ship.

I'm thinking maybe as a 2 or 3 man ship - pilot + refinery operator + storage management position.

Maybe a couple of maned turrets for defense against raiders. Able to hold say 5,000 SCU of refined ore - with the ability to manage who owns the ore in situations where your charging solo miners to refine the ore and will pickup the ore later with say a Hull cargo ship later.

I'm considering getting a Prospector and a Hull B for Solo mining initially - a refinery ship would be a really useful addition to my fleet. Especially if I can man the other ships with NPC's

I would run the prospector - drop my ore at the refinery parked nearby and have my Hull B making picking up loads of refined ore
    We are the Borg...
    Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
    We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
    Your culture will adapt to service us.
    ....Resistance is futile.
  • cybore

Posted:
    Posted:
    we currently do the same thing with wheat, the farmers harvests the wheat then they all take it to the local storage where is is graded then stored, it can be directly available at currant market prices or the farmer can have it stored till the harvest price slump is over and hope the better price is enough to pay the modest storage fee.
    wit onsite refining, storage and hauling capability you could even pay slightly less than local market price but the miner still wins by not having to haul his own ore and spends more time mining.
    even if he has his own hauler you could use economy of scale if you can move 100 to 1000 times what he can it would be still cheaper for him to let you haul it, once he sells to you he does not have to take on all the over head of moving it to market and selling it.
    you may also have the advantage as a bigger hauler you could access more distant markets with better prices that would not be feasible to a direct to market miner/hauler. everybody wins.
  • Nerosis

Posted:
    Posted:
    Storing the resources can be quite a risky proposal, as they would be vulnerable to pirates and such. But not a bad idea on the whole. It might be a cool concept if you had a secure storage site.
  • S_ARCHER

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yeah I like it - an outpost storage asteroid, gets over run by terrorists, the miners unite, take 'em down, economic activity returns!
  • Khanscott

Posted:
    Posted:
    Dunno how a smelter would work in a portable sense, but I would think such a thing could be slung into the cargo area of a ship in support of something like a Prospector or 315a. I could picture an MR parked next to the mining ship handling the refining of whatever is dug up.
  • steve-2001

Posted:
    Posted:
    Refining modules sound like perfect additions for the Endeavour Class ships.

It would make them into valuable industrial companions for Mining, Salvage, and Repair ships.

Modules to Smelt Ore into purer forms, vapour separate Alloys from salvage bulk for Premium Repair Materials, Liquefied Gas Separation for purer Fuels and Oxygen bulk production.

Modules that Transform an Endeavour into 'The Next Great Starship'.
    second star to the right, and straight on till morning...
    not all those who wander are lost...
  • Freako_0

Posted:
    Posted:
    What large ships collect and refine and haul?

Starfarer
    Orion
    Reclaimer.

Now we need a 1-2 man ship for Salvage and Fuel collection. We have plenty of haulers.

Then we need a modular ship to refine those materials out in space. So small groups can accomplish what the big boys do ... but with less: distance, volume, expense, defense, etc.