What real body types would you have picked if you could?

Domaldel

Posted:
Posted: -
Just had a look at the discussion over in this thread and that made me wonder, how many of you guys would actually want a realistic look if you could have it?
Overweight, or sticks, or just plain weird somehow...
Only added two questions to the poll, but you can always comment if there's anything else you'd love to have. ;-)

And yes, I know it doesn't look like we'll be getting these body customization, but still, it's nice to discuss the what ifs.
And who knows, perhaps CIG does find a way to implement something like this?
If the game allowed you to adjust things like weight and muscle mass, how would you like to look?
  1. How much muscle mass would you like for your character?307 votes
      Skin and bones, no muscles here thank you, moving is something other people do.
        5.86%
    1. Your average office bloke/gal.
      18.24%
    2. Slightly fit but no athlete.
      41.04%
    3. Elite troops and athletes can go here please. Expect daily hours of exercise in this crowd.
      28.34%
    4. The hulk and other cartoonishly strong characters belong here.
        2.61%
    5. Other, please comment.
        3.91%
  2. If you could adjust body fat on your character, what would you pick?307 votes
      Anorexic's unite!
        2.28%
    1. Thinner then ideal.
      11.40%
    2. Ideal BMI.
      45.93%
    3. Slightly over weight, might have a slight bump starting to show.
      19.87%
    4. Beer bellies are practical, where else would you leave the beer? =)
      13.36%
    5. Sumo wrestler style, oh yeah.
        4.56%
    6. Other, please comment.
        2.61%
  • Lt_Murdock

Posted:
    Posted:
    Not important for me

• Starlin

Posted:
    Edited: by Starlin
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I would make a super fat and tall one, then stand next to an elevator door. If anyone looks at me, it offends my sensibilities and will stand in front of the door until they stop offending me with their eyes and breaking my murrsens.
    "The ship stats page is always wrong. If for some reason it is right, then it will warp reality until it is wrong again." -Manic
    "An object at rest, cannot be stopped!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber (What Bombs at Midnight!)
  • Skynight

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    Khan from Star Trek II
  • Thylbana

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Khan from Star Trek II

latest?cb=20110811193511
    QFT!
    yJUkDEb.jpg
  • Hydralysk

Posted:
    Posted:
    For a female character -

0c6a437a4eda7f7d1d88c4d8359ba951.jpg
  • DaphneJones

Posted:
    Posted:
    <<<<<====== Right there (That's my SL avatar)

QUANTAM, SLAM, or WAM...

WEDow, CREDS, or HEAD...

Nobody rides for free!

• ChaseN

Posted:
    Posted:
    You can have a great body with two hours of exercise a day, for five days.
    Message me about your day. Love you, Citizen.
    "God helps those who help themselves." - Aesop
    YOU CAN'T LET GO, GO! THAT'S LEGGO!

• hellcane

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

What happens after the 5 days?
  • Skynight

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

You revert back to crap..

I did P90X training a few years ago religiously for 8 months... Met a girl who said "oh I dont care about muscles or a hard body" so I stopped... and no kidding its like my body relaxed and turned back into goo...
  • Kaldoon

Posted:
    Posted:
    Being on the older side myself, I'd be more interested in setting the character's apparent age (with an appropriate body type) than the attributes listed in the pole.
    ADI E&SM50315pHull-A
  • Shadowdream

Posted:
    Posted:
    Dont-worry-Sir.jpg
    Tali4Tali_zps5fd70718.pngcADxAeQ.gif
  • randbodhi

Posted:
    Posted:
    I like making stumpy ugly characters just to go against the grain of everyone having super-model characters
  • v00d00child

Posted:
    Posted:
    This is going to be difficult to phrase in a politically correct manner, or at least not be offensive to some people... I will do my best, and please understand I am really trying to NOT offend here...

In our world, with 2016 medical technology and knowledge of diet, health, exercise needs etc. there are many reasons and factors for people to be substantially overweight or obese. I don't judge, and lug a few extra pounds around myself. From major corporations pushing unhealthy shit on people (I would actually support legislation to outlaw McDonalds, they are a sincerely evil corporation in my opinion, profiting at the cost of people's health... willfully), to legitimate medical issues like hormone imbalances, thyroid problems, to psychological complications etc.

When I see a heavy person, I don't think less of them and am fully aware there are any number of reasons they are the weight they are. People are people and, cliche aside, what's inside really is the important part of who you are.

That said... there is no doubt that obesity is unhealthy. Shaves more years off your life than a 3 pack a day nicotine habit. In fact, it is SO bad for you, that many doctors will recommend the fairly radical step of surgical weight loss via gastrol bypass, lap bands etc (I have two friends that went through that).

So, 1000 years in the future, with 1000 years of medical advancement... they can probably tune your metabolism like the thermostat of your house. Medical nanites that could stimulate muscle growth without even having to work out. We can only imagine.

Point being, I sincerely don't think obesity will exist 1000 years from now.
    A sucking chest wound is just nature's way of saying 'it's time to slow down...'
  • Zwade

Posted:
    Posted:
    This kind of stuff in a game never bother me, whatever the game comes default as I go with. If there is options then w/e.
  • DaphneJones

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

This is going to be difficult to phrase in a politically correct manner, or at least not be offensive to some people... I will do my best, and please understand I am really trying to NOT offend here...

In our world, with 2016 medical technology and knowledge of diet, health, exercise needs etc. there are many reasons and factors for people to be substantially overweight or obese. I don't judge, and lug a few extra pounds around myself. From major corporations pushing unhealthy shit on people (I would actually support legislation to outlaw McDonalds, they are a sincerely evil corporation in my opinion, profiting at the cost of people's health... willfully), to legitimate medical issues like hormone imbalances, thyroid problems, to psychological complications etc.

When I see a heavy person, I don't think less of them and am fully aware there are any number of reasons they are the weight they are. People are people and, cliche aside, what's inside really is the important part of who you are.

That said... there is no doubt that obesity is unhealthy. Shaves more years off your life than a 3 pack a day nicotine habit. In fact, it is SO bad for you, that many doctors will recommend the fairly radical step of surgical weight loss via gastrol bypass, lap bands etc (I have two friends that went through that).

So, 1000 years in the future, with 1000 years of medical advancement... they can probably tune your metabolism like the thermostat of your house. Medical nanites that could stimulate muscle growth without even having to work out. We can only imagine.

Point being, I sincerely don't think obesity will exist 1000 years from now.

Ummm.... we have the best med tech in the history of the species right now... and the worst obesity problem in our history.... and high med tech in a country is highly correlated with obesity.

In the unlikely case that we still exist in 1000 years and haven't collapsed back into the srone age, I think our advanced med tech will give us great body art... extra limbs, x-ray eyes, wings, etc., but we will be the unhealthiest humans ever to disgrace the universe. The med tech will also allow McD to serve actual poison that gives you one hell of a high, but doesn't kill you cause you follow it with the right pill.

QUANTAM, SLAM, or WAM...

WEDow, CREDS, or HEAD...

Nobody rides for free!

• NAIIMA

Posted:
    Posted:
    Well if I have to choose a realistic look I would go for Elite troops :D ...
    284kTmi3VQhf
  • GodinTheKiller

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

rest for 2 days, and get back with the program on Monday.
  • Otleaz

Posted:
    Posted:
    I would go with a huge morbidly obese character, because it would be hilarious.
    Gt5kJ39.png?1
  • angelarch

Posted:
    Posted:
    ...@OP, you know that some of us actually do have extremely physically fit bodies in real life. And all my friends I hang out with are also that way except one. So all this "realistic look" language will mean something very different to different people.

TVfyvGZ.gif
  • Qayos

Posted:
    Posted:
    starship-troopers.jpg

Oorah!

You've got the job till your dead, or I find someone better.
    Chris Roberts:
    Q. Are you concerned that the fear of permanent death will scare players away from combat?

A. No. We’re building a combat game and are going to do everything possible to encourage players to dogfight and otherwise battle each other.
  • Full-Frontal-Yeti

Posted:
    Edited: by Full-Frontal-Yeti
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I am perfectly fine with the need to keep all character models within some fairly narrow overall dimension constraints.
    This is just the way a game of real object interactions has to work unless we're willing to tell players their choice of extra fat, short, tall model that some items and ships are just completely off limits to them due to their body shape. Like real life if you're 6'8 and 330 lbs, a mini cooper is probably not on your considerations list. Also have you seen the size of modern aircraft cockpits? I'm really sure those have min/max height/girth restrictions to them and no amount of EEO demands are going to cram a 6'8" 330 lb flabby fool into one. Sure they make big rig trucks for that guy, but not planes so much.

So if the normal reality of space flight and space ships is a min/max height/weight constraint for all pilots, then this is what it is and this is why everyone who is space pilot/spacer fits within those parameters.

I can accept that aspect as a make believe for why all players land within that as we are making a game that quite likely expects some % of player time involves being out in space for some reason or another.
    However what I do very much hope for is that in the full PU not 100% of the models have the same amount of chiseled muscle.
    Fine if we are all in min/max height/girth limits, but please allow those to be malleable for how muscly or flabby they are for the weight they are.
    That's to me seems like it could help allow more individuality of character if we can at least not all be the same exact amount of idealized roman statue body forms.
    16433466236_18ae7a8993_o.gif
  • hellcane

Posted:
    Posted:
    Short obese fighter pilot named porkins.

Preferably in a red flight suit
  • Aeonmoon

Posted:
    Posted:
    The body type isn't overwhelmingly important for me.

Regarding the military career in SQ42:
    As long as the character is within normal range for a military jet fighter pilot, I am fine.

So, I guess everything is good for my part.
    oxglpc5.jpg
  • Insects

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

RIP Porkins, did not fit the body size constraints of the ship design and his animation couldn't reach the eject button.
  • TheronShan

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

RIP Porkins, did not fit the body size constraints of the ship design and his animation couldn't reach the eject button.
    He actually had his inertial dampeners turned up higher than normal to compensate for his weight and as such couldn't feel that he was in a shallow dive towards the surface until it was too late. IIRC
    Connie Giveaway
  • l-X-l

Posted:
    Posted:
    I actually really like the idea of having a very lanky punk dude...would be cool! but tbh I'm going to be going straight to the mods, I want to be as much machine as possible!
  • Jale-Weston

Posted:
    Posted:
    Personally I just want a slider that changes muscle definition on the texture. That would be a pretty low-resource way of making it so that not everyone is a ripped greek god or goddess.
  • Rorinthas

Posted:
    Edited: by Rorinthas
    Posted:
    Edited:
    The kind that fit in starships and are easy to animate.
    In God We Trust, all others pay UEC and surrender their sidearms before coming aboard.
  • Atamiss

Posted:
    Posted:
    As long as I can make a character that isn't ripped I would be happy.
    A character that is healthy but doesn't look like he hits the gym all the time is what I want.
    Maybe no six pack but strong looking arms OH and beards lots and lots of beards!!!
    "Skill is the true form of power, While you fight over a level playing field I will rise above it." - Me
  • Ishida

Posted:
    Edited: by Ishida
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Ideal BMI

Oh, you are so cute...

weider-retrospect1_f.jpg
    Name: Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Year: 1975
    Title: Mister Universe