Yet another galaxy map

Nagidal

Posted:
Edited: by Nagidal
Posted: -
Like fellow Star Citizen Zuur, I watched and analyzed the demo video carefully and realized that we can indeed draw a more or less accurate map of the galaxy containing every single star that has appeared in the video.

Like Zuur, I have used every relevant source on the official website.

You can always find the latest render of it on the Star Citizen wiki

Galaxy%20map.png

Download:

General info link: http://is.gd/scmap

Version 2.0 release notes
  • Relocated Odin and Osiris system according to Zuur's reasoning.
  • Relocated Virtus and Tal. Where Tal is now the map demo video shows a star with an extremely short name tag, a potential match for Tal. Virtus being the intermediate jump between UEE and Xi'An makes sense because according to the Writer's Guide: Part Six Virtus has been a no-man's land between the UEE and Xi'An until the peace treaty. Also the Perry Line now makes more sense as a border between UEE and Xi'An.
  • Added a jump path between Tyrol and Odin which is hard to see in the map demo video but it's there
  • Added number of planets to star systems
  • Added star sizes
  • Added starlight colours
  • Added the nebula around Goss and Goss's nickname Olympus Pool

Sources

List of sources used for creating the map
  • Jimbolini

Posted:
    Posted:
    nice job!
    System : Atari 800 xl (64k RAM)
    810 floppy drive
    300 baud modem
    4 color CGA graphics with monitor
  • Qiten

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very nice Nagidal...appreciate you doing this... Printed and hanging on my wall...
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
  • Kindalo

Posted:
    Posted:
    Weyo man! nice job, people like you make the community an awesome place. One of the best reasons I love this game.

Thanks bro
  • Dunnlang

Posted:
    Posted:
    Excellent work. This one is fairly clear to read and matches the aesthetics that I prefer.

I have seen some maps that mark out which systems have the resources for various fuel types. Is there any truth to that, or is it just conjecture? Would it be possible to include that information in your map and maintain clear design?
    Come Join us at: http://www.127th.org Go to W3Schools!
  • zerosius

Posted:
    Posted:
    awesome man!
    Where did you get all the info?
    look rly nice :D
  • Sykes

Posted:
    Posted:
    Great.
    ----------------------------------------
    i5 3570k@4.7 GHz
    GTX 670 FTW 2-way SLI
    16GB DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Blizz

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    Nice job, map bookmarked.
  • Nagidal

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Where did you get all the info?

I have listed the sources in my wiki blogpost (and also added the link to it to the thread's initial post).

There are four crime statuses which I inferred from the descriptions of the situation:

Davien (low crime status): Should you find yourself in the Davien System this upcoming weekend, you should travel to New Arden on Davien II for this year’s Traveller’s Day

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12844-Cassandras-Tears-Issue-10 (low crime status): Croshaw system was quiet. It was an average day on almost all of the planets. People went to work. Kids went to school. There were four active jump-points in the system, one went to the Sol System and Earth, the second went to the Nul System an unclaimed system due to the variable star at its center, the third went to Davien System…

Magnus (medium crime status): The Red Death has struck again. The reputed pirate and his band of degenerates have hit yet another convoy travelling through Magnus. This is the seventh attack in as many months.

Tyrol (high crime status): fugitives, criminals, expatriates, and outlaws decided to roll the dice and hide in a dying system

The Adobe Illustrator file also contains layers of source notes and description of the way I found some particularly tricky star locations and their names.

The whole process of making this map was streamed live on my twitch.tv channel. It's several hours long, over several days, but you'll be able to see my reasoning with every bit of the map in there.
  • Archaeopteryx

Posted:
    Posted:
    Mh, anyone else noticed Gliese being a bit far away from Sol. It would be quite a nice detail, if the stars named after famous real ones are modelled to resemble their existing counterparts...
  • ASTROID

Posted:
    Posted:
    Cool, I was wondering if someone was going to try and do this.
    html>
  • Judge-Kratos

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thank you for your efforts with this. Great work!
    There is only one thing more despicable than to be poverty stricken; that is to be unarmed.
  • Katalliaan

Posted:
    Posted:
    Glad to see that the map is finished enough to share. It was nice to relax in your stream while you worked on it.
    gallery_1152_55_31145.png
  • Cooperblack

Posted:
    Posted:
    Kind of funny they call it a Galaxy map since the locations does not cover one billionth of the galaxy -- territory map would be more precise..but i'm nitpicking, well done OP.
  • Babarix

Posted:
    Posted:
    Great to see it released. It looks very good, i love to pin it on my wall. Thx for the good work.
  • Alfred_VonGunn

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hmmm the thing to remember that isn't in any of the current maps that I have seen in scale.. What I mean is.. Just because Croshaw was the first Jump Point found.. Does not mean it is even close to Sol in space... The entire point of Jump Points is they cover huge distances in a short cut... So without input from CIG on where things are in 3D

507th photo pnoRRlY_zpsefe7bdca.png

• Psykomanta

Posted:
    Posted:
    Oh my lamp, this is a nice piece of work you achieved there - thanks for sharing!
    LAMP
  • Blizz

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    [hide]

input from CIG on where things are in 3D

Here you go buddy :)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/13109-Star-Map-Demo
  • Nagidal

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I also thank Bararix and other attendees of my live streams who supported me when doing this map.

I just had a look at the newest version of Zuur's map and comparing his work with my, I realized I did not spot the jump path between Croshaw and Rhetor correctly. (I read is as a path from Ferron to Rhetor.) I double-checked with the demo video and corrected this in version 1.2 of my map. (download links in the first post). Thanks Zuur for his work.

There are also some other differences between our maps. The published material leaves room for interpretation of the location of Odin, Helios and Osiris. Both our maps are, admittedly, speculative in that area. I think that either of our maps don't perfectly match the sparse official sources about these areas of the galaxy.
  • Frakked

Posted:
    Posted:
    Here's hoping the actual map is 10x as big as you've shown... already it looks like I'll have to spend 2-4 hours to even find the edge of known space... much less explore it.
    Member since March 2013
    Concierge
    Ships/Packages:

Advanced Starter- LTI
    Freelancer- LTI
    Pirate Pack- LTI
    MISC Starfarer Tanker- LTI
    Aegis Reclaimer - LTI (Traded in Banu for this)
  • X01

Posted:
    Posted:
    Outstanding effort and appreciated!
    Visit The Convoy
  • jaqknife

Posted:
    Posted:
    so how many star systems will be in at launch? Looks like the map has about 70 so far.
  • Zatara

Posted:
    Posted:
    Beautiful work! Thanks for all your effort.
  • SilverBullet

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    OP well done that is just perfect, favourited.
  • Kamikaze24

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

so how many star systems will be in at launch? Looks like the map has about 70 so far.

There will be 115 on release. So still missing 45 means the map will get quite a bit bigger. And Chris as said that a few will be hidden from the beginning left for explorers to discover.

xU3fnpI.gif
    LN "Ari-Anna" / 325a "Kamikaze" / 350r "Tortoise"
  • cruse

Posted:
    Posted:
    I love stumbling across threads like this. Well done and thanks!! :)
    I'm Glaive to meet you.
  • Nagidal

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Released map version 2.0
    • Relocated Odin and Osiris system according to Zuur's reasoning.
    • Relocated Virtus and Tal. Where Tal is now the map demo video shows a star with an extremely short name tag, a potential match for Tal. Virtus being the intermediate jump between UEE and Xi'An makes sense because according to the Tal unlock post Virtus has been a no-man's land between the UEE and Xi'An until the peace treaty. Also the Perry Line now makes more sense as a border between UEE and Xi'An.
    • Added jump path between Tyrol and Odin which is hard to see in the map demo video but it's there
    • Added number of planets to star systems
    • Added star sizes
    • Added starlight colours
    • Added the nebula around Goss and Goss's nickname Olympus Pool
    Have fun. Thanks to Zuur who got me into making this, thanks to Babarix and other supporters during my work on the map.
  • Dietsman

Posted:
    Gorgeous map! Very well done!

If I may make a small suggestion; at the moment I find it hard to read the amount of planets for any system with 7 or more planets. You might want to look into a way to make 7 to 14 easier to read. It works fine for systems with 1 to 6 planets though.
    "Let no man belong to another who can belong to himself."
  • BadW0lf

Posted:
    Posted:
    Another well deserved compliment.
    ADIClan
  • EddyRockSteady

Posted:
    Posted:
    Outstanding work M8!

One question - what do the colour codes refer to in relation to the strategic value?
    3BWAMcW.jpg
  • Aleenik

Civilian

Posted:

Civilian

Posted:
    Awesome! This one is the best yet imo.