Applying Star Citizen to D&D 5th edition.

Posted:
Posted: -
I did some searching on the forums, but was unable to find anything related.

Today I was doing some mental browsing and was wondering about how many people here in the SC community have played or are playing Dungeons & Dragons. Then the idea came to mind to combine the two worlds. Finding a way to apply Star Citizen into Dungeons & Dragons. Bend some rules, role-play a bit, fight some battles etc etc. Would there be interest in this? What do you guys think would be the problems / hurdles that would arise?

Looking for some feedback on how to make this happen. :D
  • DeeWolf

Posted:
    Posted:
    Mix a little X-Wing rules with DnD when planetside? It could work. But it would take a lot of work. But I guess it really depends on how deep and complicated you want it to be.

I can totally see the X-wing rules with a few custom rules added for Star citizen-ness. Then roleplay the liftoff or landing and DnD the planetside aspect of it.

Now it sounds exciting!
    RUi8vI5.jpg

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yea something like that @Nova. However, I was more referring to setting up a actual roleplay session over systems such as skype. Using D20 dice and play a campaign. I love speculating about how RP will work in the actual PU / Verse, but for now, I need something to fill the gap.
  • DeeWolf

Posted:
    Posted:
    That'll work too. :)

Just role play everything and keep a d20 for decisions and combat.
    RUi8vI5.jpg

• MisterJava

Posted:
    Posted:
    As an avid 5e player, I'm sure that someone has Homebrewer rules for spacecraft at some point. If you can't find that, I'd probably use modified versions of the rules that exist for watercraft in dnd, as space is essentially an ocean. Rules for guns already exist in the DMG as well.
    "In space, no one can hear you scream- unless you're transmitting on the right radio frequencies." -Random Spacer, SPAZ
  • Missing_Spartan

Posted:
    Posted:
    You could just use D20 Modern https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D20_Modern
  • The_Broken

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

As an avid 5e player, I'm sure that someone has Homebrewer rules for spacecraft at some point. If you can't find that, I'd probably use modified versions of the rules that exist for watercraft in dnd, as space is essentially an ocean. Rules for guns already exist in the DMG as well.

[hide]

Mix a little X-Wing rules with DnD when planetside? It could work. But it would take a lot of work. But I guess it really depends on how deep and complicated you want it to be.

I can totally see the X-wing rules with a few custom rules added for Star citizen-ness. Then roleplay the liftoff or landing and DnD the planetside aspect of it.

Now it sounds exciting!

Nerds!!!

Oh..wait.......

Modern D20 would work I think. I haven't played DnD myself since Pathfinder however,so I'm fairly rusty.
    Just call me Delta.

Everyone has a price. Everyone. What's yours?

Posted:
    Posted:
    Good feedback guys, loving it!
    I will look into the Modern D20 rules.

let's say a campaign like this would be set up, setting in the world of Star Citizen. Skype would be used for the sessions, a dice roller would be used for the rolls. Each player/participant would DM his or her own session once every 4/5 weeks.

Would you guys think there will be animo for such a campaign?
  • Haven-923

Posted:
    Posted:
    D20 Modern is like 3.5, but future. Like if Shadowrun used a D20 system instead of D6. In order to get SC to work in D&D 5E a lot of work will have to be done. A lot of that will be stripping stuff out. Races and classes would likely be gone save for human. The entirety of your character creation would probably have to come from some classless point buy system. That way your character is good at only what you want them to be good at. I never played Attack Wing or X-Wing so I don't know how they would work.
    Freelancer Dur - Ichthus | 315 - Seraph's Shadow | 85x - Gulf Stream | Dragonfly Yellowjacket | Dragonfly Black

The Shadows Prove There's Sunshine.

Not a member and want 5,000 UEC for FREE? Use my referral code when you sign up! STAR-BYD2-P3VB
  • SchlagDog

Posted:
    Posted:
    A few decades ago... so many years... we played RIFT. Fantastic RP game with so many options. Ignore the magic stuff and you're all set.
    The
  • AegirCorp_Tsavong

Posted:
    Posted:
    Starfinder, (currently under production by Paizo Publishing, the guys behind Pathfinder) is essentially what you are asking about, the only problem is that it has only just been announced as under development. GURPS could work, but I find Modern d20 to have far less of a learning curve/setup time.
    Tsavong Aegir,
    Fleet Commander,
    Aegir Corporation:
    http://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/AEGIRCORP
  • Azguul

Posted:
    Posted:
    I've been wanting to make a "Space D&D-esque" campaign for a long time now. I haven't actually put any work into it, or looked into similar games/systems/whatever that would make it any easier. I just assumed I'd had to homebrew how the ships worked.

One small idea (that only really scratches the surface of the many problems to overcome when making such a thing) would be to have everyone choose a profession related to spacecraft at character creation. So for example, your profession could be "piloting", or "engineering" or "Gunning" etc... then you can devise rules for DC's to overcome to accomplish certain tasks/goals using that skill. So you have your PC planetside, when boarding, or whenever, and the only change is using the D20 + profession to do the flying bits.

Not very exciting, and I'm not sure how I feel about rolling a dice to determine so many actions while flying, but it's an idea. Maybe a place to start from.
    www.youtube.com/azguul
    I sincerely hope that the modules aren't too restrictive on their NDA!
  • Zephon

Posted:
    Posted:
    I don't know what for specifics the OP is after - Do you mean roleplaying like DnD outside the game? (whatever it'll be in a chat room or more like a tabletop?) or do you mean using DnD "style" within the game? because that's something that will not simply happen.

I am a roleplayer myself but I have no intention to "roll" a dice or even to acknowledge it, if you're going to do something then you should do it within the game. If your character is going to fire a gun then you do it, instead of writing it.
  • Haven-923

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I've been wanting to make a "Space D&D-esque" campaign for a long time now. I haven't actually put any work into it, or looked into similar games/systems/whatever that would make it any easier. I just assumed I'd had to homebrew how the ships worked.

One small idea (that only really scratches the surface of the many problems to overcome when making such a thing) would be to have everyone choose a profession related to spacecraft at character creation. So for example, your profession could be "piloting", or "engineering" or "Gunning" etc... then you can devise rules for DC's to overcome to accomplish certain tasks/goals using that skill. So you have your PC planetside, when boarding, or whenever, and the only change is using the D20 + profession to do the flying bits.

Not very exciting, and I'm not sure how I feel about rolling a dice to determine so many actions while flying, but it's an idea. Maybe a place to start from.

You could make it a sort of saving throw thing. Just like how spellcasters have a set spell save DC, you character could have a save DC for some of their more standard ship-based duties. If the DM roll beats their DC, then you can have them roll for a specific skill like intelligence, mechanics, reflex, or any number of other things to see just what exactly happens and if they are able to recover.
    Freelancer Dur - Ichthus | 315 - Seraph's Shadow | 85x - Gulf Stream | Dragonfly Yellowjacket | Dragonfly Black

The Shadows Prove There's Sunshine.

Not a member and want 5,000 UEC for FREE? Use my referral code when you sign up! STAR-BYD2-P3VB
  • Balor-Birugderc

Posted:
    Posted:
    Honestly if you want a RPG geared for space exploration combat and trading then you want traveler. I've only played mongoose traveler but there are several editions out there that all do similar things, and unlike with trying to home brew a dnd variant doing a star citizen RPG is what this System is designed for. On top of that the character career paths is a incredibly unique way to generate a character in my opinion.

As a reference I do believe firefly was based off a traveler game the director had been in years ago.
  • Lithiaris

Posted:
    Edited: by Lithiaris
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Well, I couldn't find much either, so I and a couple of the people in my organization have made a D20 system from the ground up based on Star Citizen mechanics, as well as a pretty customizeable loadout and perks system. It allows you to choose from most of the announced weapons for the game, armor (which affects what weapons you'll have by size), etc. Your "spells" are your weapons, gear, etc and each has a different dice value. (A sniper, for example, is 1d20 on a roll, and affected by some perks.) You can miss your shots so you're not always hitting to add a touch of realism.

It doesn't conform to D&D standards at all as far as I know besides using an online D&D platform for events (maps and tokens etc) because it's been handmade over a couple months now, but it might be encouraging to hear be possible since you're looking for that kind of thing! Good luck finding what you're looking for!
    Aphelion Collective (Heavy RP Org) | Art Thread | Ask Me About My Character!
  • Lord_Savage

Posted:
    Posted:
    @284

I might actually take a break from playing D&D and give this a go.

Starfinder Roleplaying Game on KickStarter

Paizo, the powers behind the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, are completing the final system check on the highly anticipated release of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game. Based on the robust, yet familiar The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, The Starfinder Roleplaying Game will be taking fans of The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game forward in time and to the edge of space where familiar races, powers and creatures have been unleashed. Now beyond the bounds of their home world they traverse and expand into the dark reaches. Where cryptic cultures, xenomorphic horrors, and merciless enemies are scattered across alien worlds. New technologies, arcana and untapped alien arcana can be discovered in the vastness of space.

Which is where we come in... Science Fantasy Frog God Style

Frog God Games is pleased to present to you its Starfinder Roleplaying Game Compatible Line, which, with your help, will release alongside Paizo's highly anticipated Starfinder Roleplaying Game: Core Rulebook ™ (expected August 2017). We have seen the rules and are very excited to be supporting Paizo's foray into Science Fantasy. The Starfinder Roleplaying Game compatible releases from Frog God Games consists of two full-color, 8.5 x 11 Hardcover Books: The Planetarium and the Tome of Aliens and a folio of six poster maps all available in both print and PDF format.
    "I am the hope o' the universe, I am the answer to ALL living things who cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth... a dream to some, a NIGHTMARE to others!"
  • TheJase

Posted:
    Edited: by TheJase
    Posted:
    Edited:
    My organization does a ton of chat based RP on our discord server while we wait for SC to be in a more playable state to cater to RP and social interaction, so I personally find this to be interesting, and wouldn't be opposed to giving it a go.