Road To the Finish Line -- The SC Completion Tracking Thread

NtrepiD

Posted:
Edited: by NtrepiD
Posted: -
Hey everyone! I'm attempting to build a comprehensive list of things left to be finished in order for SC to be a 'complete' game as laid out in design. This is by no means an official list, and it's certainly not 100% complete yet; as I'm sure there are some things I've forgotten.

I've seen a couple long lists before, but I'm attempting to organize this one into easy-to-follow, major categories and keep it up to date. If there's something I've forgotten, let me know and I'll include it! I'd appreciate everyone's help in putting this together and keeping it maintained.

So if you were wondering what's left until things are 'done', have a look. It'll be fun to strike things from this list as development progresses :)

Major Technical Systems

Persistence
Planetary Landing
Planetary Exploration/Surface Combat
Hangars connected to Universe Space
Push/Pull and Grabby Hands
Dynamic Instancing
Universe Server

General Gameplay Systems

Economy
Shopping
Remote Storage (ATV 2.24)
Security/Reputation
Player-Triggered Universe-Level Events
Insurance/Death
Character Customization
Communications/VOIP/Relays
Encryption/Hacking
Item ID/Stolen Item System
Full Mobiglass Functionality (Inventory, news, etc)
Hangar Layout Customization/Room System
Hangar Port Modification/Item Placement (ATV 2.24)
Public Transit
Rescue/Recovery System (Subscriber RtV 3/30/2016)
In-Game Organization Functionality
Full Health and Injury System With Mobility Effects
Survival/Environmental Hazards
Payment Sharing/Player UEC Transfer
Player-customizable Planet Habitat System
Modular Satellites
Automatic Traffic and Landing Control
Atmospheric Flight and Drag Model
Water Landing/Boating Mechanics
Indoor Atmospheric Volumes/Decompression

Role and Player Mechanics

Salvage
Trade
Mining
Bounty Hunting/Stasis
Medical
Science/Research
Cartography/Jump Point Mapping
Player-Controlled External Repair
Space Station Ownership
Racing Circuits/League
Passenger Transport System
Farming
News Reporting/Broadcasting

AI

Various roles
(Bartender, Doctor, Entertainer, Nurse, Sanitation Worker, Security Guard, Shopper, Tourist, Vagrant and Vandal)
NPC Ship Crew
NPC FPS Enemies and Allies

Ship Functionality

Base Component System
Power Shunting System
CPU Resource System
Shields/Damage Model
Detailed Sensors/Scanning
Ship Signature/Emissions
Replaceable Avionics
Cargo/Shipping
Panel Access to Components/Internal Repair
Component Tweaking/Tuning/Overclocking/Testing
Electronic Warfare
Jump Point Navigation/Interdiction
Proper Working Multicrew Roles
Fueling
Docking and Carrier Systems
Locking/Forced Entry
Escape Pods/Vehicles
Semi-Customizable/Movable Displays/HUD
Ship/Fleet Command and Control

FPS Functionality

Personal Shields
Additional Grenade Types

Assets to Finish

(These are individual items, rather than mechanics)

Ships
Ground-Based Vehicles
Boats
Landing Zones and Shops
Bases and Satellites
Planets
Star Systems
Missions
Suits/Clothes/Accessories
Ship and Player Weapons/Loadout Items

Extras

(Doesn't mean they're unimportant -- but the game can more or less be in a functional state without them)

Addl. Hardware Support (Oculus Rift/VR, TrackIR. Flight Chairs, Multiple Monitors, MFD)
Crossfire/SLI Support
Linux Support
Ship Appearance Customization
Plants/Agriculture
Kr’Thak Alien Race
Pets
Alien Languages
SATA Ball
'Capture the Idris' Mode for AC
Custom Hangar/Ship Interior Decoration
Mod tools
Private Servers
Simplified Control/UI Layouts for Newcomers
Upgrade Handbook
Complaint Arbitration
Tutorial/Manual/Guides
  • L0ckd0wn

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hey everyone! I'm attempting to build a comprehensive list of things left to be finished in order for SC to be a 'complete' game as laid out in design. This is by no means an official list, and it's certainly not 100% complete yet; as I'm sure there are some things I've forgotten.

I've seen a couple long lists before, but I'm attempting to organize this one into easy-to-follow, major categories and keep it up to date. If there's something I've forgotten, let me know and I'll include it! I'd appreciate everyone's help in putting this together and keeping it maintained.

So if you were wondering what's left until things are 'done', have a look. I'm going to enjoy striking things from this list as development progresses :)

Major Technical Systems

Persistence
    Planetary Landing
    Planetary Exploration/Surface Combat
    Hangars connected to World Space
    Push/Pull and Grabby Hands
    Dynamic Instancing
    Universe Server
    Economy

General Gameplay Systems

Shopping
    Security/Reputation
    Insurance/Death
    Character Customization
    Communications/VOIP/Relays
    Encryption/Hacking
    Item ID/Stolen Item System
    Full Mobiglass Functionality (Inventory, news, etc)
    Hangar Layout Customization/Room System
    Public Transit
    In-Game Organization Functionality

Role and Player Mechanics

Salvage
    Trade
    Mining
    Bounty Hunting/Stasis
    Medical
    Science/Research
    Player-Controlled External Repair
    Space Station Ownership

AI

Various roles
    (Bartender, Doctor, Entertainer, Nurse, Sanitation Worker, Security Guard, Shopper, Tourist, Vagrant and Vandal)
    NPC Ship Crew

Ship Functionality

Base Component System
    Power Shunting System
    CPU Resource System
    Shields/Damage Model
    Detailed Sensors/Scanning
    Ship Signature/Emissions
    Cargo/Shipping
    Panel Access to Components/Internal Repair
    Electronic Warfare
    Jump Points/Interdiction
    Proper Working Multicrew Roles
    Docking and Carrier Systems
    Fueling
    Locking/Forced Entry
    Semi-Customizable/Movable Displays/HUD
    Escape Pods/Vehicles
    Ship/Fleet Command and Control
    Component Tweaking/Tuning/Overclocking/Testing

Assets to Finish

(These are individual items, rather than mechanics)

Ships
    Landing Zones and Shops
    Planets
    Star Systems
    Missions
    Suits/Clothes/Accessories
    Ship and Player Weapons/Loadout Items

Important Mechanics to Fix

(These are things that are already in game, but need major fixes to function in expected ways)

EVA
    Missles
    Ship Loadout/Holotable
    G-Forces/Redout/Blackout
    Flight/Thruster Model/Balance
    Turrets

Extras

(Doesn't mean they're unimportant -- but the game can more or less be in a functional state without them)

Addl. Hardware Support (Oculus Rift, TrackIR. Flight Chairs, Multiple Monitors, MFD)
    Plants/Agriculture
    Kr’Thak Alien Race
    Pets
    Alien Languages
    News Van
    Custom Hangar/Ship decoration
    Mod tools
    Private Servers
    Upgrade Handbook
    Complaint Arbitration
    Oh well when you put it like that, it really doesn't look like a lot at all :D
    "... we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state, Trollololol...."
  • slothdong

Posted:
    Posted:
    Sata ball for extras
    n
  • MarcHawke

Posted:
    Posted:
    Do we add things here that we think should be on the list?

Under Roles:
    Racing (Circuits, Point Leaders, etc.)
    Exploration (Jump Point discovery/ navigation 'mapping')

Under Ship Features:
    Transfer of ship duties to other control panels. (I just noticed the co-pilot in the freelancer doesn't even have a joystick (yoke) yet, let alone the ability to fly the ship.)

Under General Gameplay:
    Player Contracts. (i.e. player job-board) (might be covered by Economy)

Welcome to the Realm of the Hawke

X2lRp26.jpg (I usually don't do signature pictures, but this was worthy.)
  • Debido

Posted:
    Posted:
    I would say this is a bad idea as it doesn't track progress, it simply states whether a milestone or deliverable is achieved not how much a deliverable is functionally coded, tested or integrated.
  • NtrepiD

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Do we add things here that we think should be on the list?

Under Roles:
    Racing (Circuits, Point Leaders, etc.)
    Exploration (Jump Point discovery/ navigation 'mapping')

Under Ship Features:
    Transfer of ship duties to other control panels. (I just noticed the co-pilot in the freelancer doesn't even have a joystick (yoke) yet, let alone the ability to fly the ship.)

Under General Gameplay:
    Player Contracts. (i.e. player job-board) (might be covered by Economy)

Yes, and thank you :)

Note: As far as the control panel transfer, I'd file that under the Customizable/Movable UI in 'Ship Functionality'.
  • MarcHawke

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I would say this is a bad idea as it doesn't track progress, it simply states whether a milestone or deliverable is achieved not how much a deliverable is functionally coded, tested or integrated.

That's exactly what milestones are. Checkpoints along the way. This is just a unofficial 'ToDo' list. There's no way fans can know what the status is, just whether we see it in the game or not. I'd say the biggest concern about making this list is that we don't know which features have been cancelled or not. Some of those things will NEVER come.

Push/Pull for instance. It 'used to be' in the game. We were able to see it in action. Now it's not. Did they cut it, or did it just get temporarily disabled while they were changing up the EVA controls. (We do have the semi-ragdoll on the legs as you float over something, but we lost the hands reaching out to walk along the surface.)

• TheBrocKelley

Posted:
    Posted:
    A great start! I really do hope this picks up momentum and continues to be updated on. It'll likely turn vapid at some point for the same reason that CIG can't give us dates like and checklists like this, I hope it survives.
    "He lost himself in a maze of thoughts that were rendered vague by his lack of words to express them. Frowning, he tried again.”
  • steve-2001

Posted:
    Posted:
    OP, that is all tip of the iceberg stuff.

For all of that, there is ten times as much infrastructure work to be done that is never seen by any player of the game.

Where is any mention of all of the conversion work to the render engines? The procedural generation algorithms? The database server schemas? The real time thread managers? The interprocess communication pipes? The compute farm state managers? The state transitional persistence data flow controllers? And any of a thousand other things that need to be done.

All of that part of the iceberg that is below the water is what CIG is pounding on right now. It enables all of that stuff that you mention to be build on the top of it. That is why the first part of development is always so slow.

You will need a HUGE list if you really want to have the master producer view of the state of all development of all types across all CIG locations worldwide, and in addition all of the outsource companies that are working on SC.

I really do look forward to seeing such a PerForce dump, if we ever get to see it.

second star to the right, and straight on till morning...
    not all those who wander are lost...
  • MarcHawke

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

You will need a HUGE list if you really want to have the master producer view of the state of all development of all types across all CIG locations worldwide, and in addition all of the outsource companies that are working on SC.

I really do look forward to seeing such a PerForce dump, if we ever get to see it.

While you're correct, he's looking at the 'end-user' view. How many of the 'bullet points' have been delivered? It's a completely valid view, even though (as you said) it moves very slowly at the beginning, as the 'non-feature, but more important' stuff gets to a working state.

• NtrepiD

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

I'm open to calling this whatever fits -- that's just the first quick title that popped into my head.

Generally though, the goal is just to have an easily-referenceable, categorized list of big features that are left 'to-be-implemented' :]
  • Molecular

On Probation
    Posted:
    On Probation
    Posted:
    [hide]

OP, that is all tip of the iceberg stuff.

yes it is,but it is a list of deliverables, what is required to deliver them is not relevant to the list, and sorry to break it to you but you will not in your lifetime see a perforce dump.
  • The_Ez

Posted:
    Posted:
    I think this is a good idea. One thing I might suggest is to also list things CiG have achieved, and when something is complete mark it (bold, italic, whatever) and date it. That way we can actually track progress.

I know some people are complaining about it not being accurate because of all the work going on under the hood, and that's true to a degree, but this is still useful as a rough indicator.
  • Samoh

Posted:
    Edited: by Samoh
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Racing for extras?! :)
    edit: and ship engine tuning

0.jpg

• DBack

Posted:
    Posted:
    Suggestion: Maybe add the things that've already been done with strikethru text so we can see how far things have already come and how far we are from where we started to where we're going?
    Looking for a referral? Code STAR-JRY4-Z754 will get you 5000 UEC and me a Recruitment Point toward some cool stuff.
  • NtrepiD

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Racing for extras?! :)
    edit: and ship engine tuning

Hey @Samoh -- I count engine tuning under the 'Component Tweaking/Tuning' item, since presumably the ship's engines are one component in the overall system.
  • Mordane

Posted:
    Posted:
    OP what is your criteria for striking things off the list because some of the features on the list are already in the game. A few examples off the top of my head are Universe Server, Reputation, Shields/Damage Model and Ship Signature/Emissions.

Tony Z talked about the Universe Server I believe it was last year at the Austin Town Hall Meeting. They said they had been simulating and testing the economy for several months at that point already. He said they could actually zoom in watch various ships moving from system to system and watch pirates attack them and patrols defend them.

The start of the reputation was just introduced with patch 2.2.

Shields/Damage Model are already implemented on the ships. Some have the updated model and others still have the old model.

Ship Signature/Emissions are also already in the game.

All of these systems are still being worked on and improved but they are in the game.

Many other systems will never truly be complete. Things such as Star Systems and Ships will be constantly added to the game even after the game launches. Even things such as Landing Zone will constantly be changing through out the life of the game because they are trying to make a dynamic universe that changes over time.
  • Umbra

Posted:
    Posted:
    I don't see how this will helpful, fun, or even workable.

For one thing, when do you cross something off the list?

Is it when there's one landing zone, 5, 10, 50?

What about the clothing system, do you cross this off when we can buy something at ArcCorp or when it's spread out into multiple systems on multiple planets?

The baby PU is here, do we cross off the PU?

Features are going to be implemented incrementally and will continue to expand and change even after launch.
  • NtrepiD

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

OP what is your criteria for striking things off the list because some of the features on the list are already in the game. A few examples off the top of my head are Universe Server, Reputation, Shields/Damage Model and Ship Signature/Emissions.

Tony Z talked about the Universe Server I believe it was last year at the Austin Town Hall Meeting. They said they had been simulating and testing the economy for several months at that point already. He said they could actually zoom in watch various ships moving from system to system and watch pirates attack them and patrols defend them.

The start of the reputation was just introduced with patch 2.2.

Shields/Damage Model are already implemented on the ships. Some have the updated model and others still have the old model.

Ship Signature/Emissions are also already in the game.

All of these systems are still being worked on and improved but they are in the game.

Many other systems will never truly be complete. Things such as Star Systems and Ships will be constantly added to the game even after the game launches. Even things such as Landing Zone will constantly be changing through out the life of the game because they are trying to make a dynamic universe that changes over time.

Good question:

So for things to be off the list, I'd say the functionality should be more or less rounded out in-game, rather than being a placeholder -- even if it's not completely finished/polished yet.

Universe Server - Not actually functional yet in-game. It's a whole mechanic that will go beyond the game and tie together all of the instances. When that happens and it's mostly functional, we can remove it.
    Reputation - What we have in 2.2 is more of a placeholder than an actual reputation system. Once we have things like the ability to scan a player for his reputation on a persistent basis, reputation that follows you and can be used for evaluating crew members etc., we can cross that off.
    Shields - The true functionality of shields depends on the new component system, which isn't quite in place yet. Once it is, all shields will be generated by actual shield generator components, which will correctly tied to your ship's power plant/etc. As they've been discussing, the shield system is a bit fudged right now -- so once the true shield functionality is in place, that can be crossed off the list. Likewise for damage, which is currently fudged/faked.
    Emissions -- Likewise, depends on the component system; currently fudged until that's working

Hope that makes things a little more clear -- I'm aiming for "it's not perfect, but the meat of this system is working as intended" with the list.

@Rhino hopefully that answers your question as well. It's not an exact science, but to use clothing as an example: when you can buy clothes, with a small assortment of different things to pick from, and everyone's running around the 'verse wearing the clothes they bought, then I'd say Clothing is more or less functional as a major feature.
  • janxy

Posted:
    Edited: by janxy
    Posted:
    Edited:
    No mention of FPS?

Weapons implemented
    Vaulting
    Cover
    Gadgets
    Star Marine
    Maps for FPS other than New Horizon
    Limb Damage
    Dragging Damaged Players
    Personal Medical Devices / Healing
    Hospital Mechanics
    Armor Component System
    Weapon Attachments
    Titan Suit

Under ships you need to add

Physical Damage system

Role and Player mechanics:
    Ship Repair System - aka the deep dive document

Others off the top of my head:
    Inheritance
    Character Customisation
    NPC Crew Mechanics
    Mission Board

• SC-Relic

Posted:
    Posted:
    I think this is a good idea as a tool to help track the overall progress through 'playable functionality'.
    photo SHIPS2.png
    UEE Citizen Record #224792

• StarDream

Posted:
    Posted:
    Don't forget -
    CrossFire support
    SLI support
    If anyone would be so kind to use my referral code to help out a new citizen and get 5,000 UEC for yourself in the process it would be Greatly Appreciated

Code: STAR-PBDK-JMWZ
    Thank You In Advance :)
  • lmac

Posted:
    Posted:
    Surprised no on mentioned Star Marine.
  • NtrepiD

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Surprised no on mentioned Star Marine.

I'm debating on which section to put Star Marine in, after CR's last answer about FPS development moving from being SM-based to being something we just play in the PU, complete with all the weapons/gadgets, and SM just being a map with scoring. Maybe Extras, with SATA Ball? (Although I know that will be controversial, hehe).
  • MarcHawke

Posted:
    Edited: by MarcHawke
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

I'm debating on which section to put Star Marine in, after CR's last answer about FPS development moving from being SM-based to being something we just play in the PU, complete with all the weapons/gadgets, and SM just being a map with scoring. Maybe Extras, with SATA Ball? (Although I know that will be controversial, hehe).

Star Marine is the FPS equivalent of the Arena Commander video game. There will be deathmatch and team deathmatch on the Gold Horizons map with K/D ratios and points. I think that's a legitimate thing to put on the list.

Star Marine as an FPS testbed is off the table though.

• Thornfoot

Posted:
    Posted:
    @OP, Your list is accurate as well as depressingly long :(
  • Thundaarr

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

While you're correct, he's looking at the 'end-user' view. How many of the 'bullet points' have been delivered? It's a completely valid view, even though (as you said) it moves very slowly at the beginning, as the 'non-feature, but more important' stuff gets to a working state.

Indeed. I like the idea of this list OP. It is somewhat similar to the display listed here

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-status

Just in a more detailed text format. Keep up the good work OP and I will be checking back.

It's a great thread for new people to look at too, imo. For both sides. For those who have no patience? They can look at the list and see what progress has been made easily as these things are delivered to the end user. And for those who have the patience but still get excited, it's nice to see how far we've come.
    nJMKByj.gif
  • angelarch

Posted:
    Posted:
    pretty cool imo, i wish you could add progress bars on each of those deliverables somehow, so we could see at a glance if something is like 10% done, or 80% done etc, and some things could fall back if they are restarted or redesigned by CIG.

TVfyvGZ.gif
  • Manuzhiro

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

pretty cool imo, i wish you could add progress bars on each of those deliverables somehow, so we could see at a glance if something is like 10% done, or 80% done etc, and some things could fall back if they are restarted or redesigned by CIG.

Won't happen, even though it would be cool. People would probably just use it as another metric to complain with.
    oqFBL6a.gif
  • Tacan

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'm getting pretty much all I need from the other menus.
    H7qeySD.png
  • angelarch

Posted:
    Posted:
    Capture the Idris mod for AC, for Extras pls!

TVfyvGZ.gif