Should CIG move to Lumberyard game engine?

• Sorwen

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

maybe they should trash the c++ too and switch to something so much more reliable like cobol

Paleeesee. Its Assembly or go home. :p
    Forever and always forward.
    Asking them to only create the detriments without the offset opportunities that reality provides isn't more immersive.
  • Stadulator

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

yes, they seem to spend extra time re-doing everything anyway

@caww you should research the why before you jump to conclusions

lmao - I can't believe you responded to a throw-away comment...
    @caww and I can't believe you don't recognize research as sound advice. Then again, ignorance is bliss for some.
    Vanguard Warden, F7A-M SH, Sabre, Esperia Blade, Terrapin, Reliant SEN, Hull-B, Hull-C, Herald, CAT, Dragonfly, Crucible

Intel i7-6800 @4.0GHz, MSI Pro Carbon, GTX 1070 FTW (x2), 64gb Corsair Vengeance, 500GB SSD, WIN 10 64bit

• AstralMirage

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'm assuming whoever is voting for yes does not understand how software development works... but I won't go on a rant this time.

No, I don't feel CIG should switch, Star Engine I'm confident will do the job well.
  • Necromorph

Posted:
    Posted:
    The first game is coming out this year (hopefully) WHY in gods name would we change engines?

5HDml8F.gif
  • ConfusedMonkeh

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

The first game is coming out this year (hopefully) WHY in gods name would we change engines?

5HDml8F.gif

Best gif I've seen for a while. Nice.
    k6FGSha.gif

• Von_Hurt

Posted:
    Posted:
    Seriously dude? Seriously? You want CIG to scrap 3+ years of development for something unproven and in BETA? Seriously?
    photo BVHX Sig.jpg
  • The-Batman

Posted:
    Posted:
    The idea makes zero sense.

Amazon took the CryEngine and made Lumberyard.

CIG is making the CryEngine into their thing.

Doesn't make sense to go back to a more simplistic engine than the base CryEngine and start everything over again.
  • Ferret

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'm really glad that Amazon put out Lumberyard. It's a very nice option for future development projects. As other people have said, though, it won't benefit CIG to use it. For pretty much all the reasons people have already mentioned.
  • GeneticPredator

Posted:
    Posted:
    No we don't want to be at square one again.
    TEST

• Tom-ahawk

Posted:
    Posted:
    What? Why on earth would CIG throw out everything they have built with their modified engine? They would have start over completely.
  • aFrost

Posted:
    Edited: by aFrost
    Posted:
    Edited:
    No, i would like to see the game eventually. If they switch engine i doubt we would ever see the game.

So for better or for worse, we are stuck with the starcry(or w/e they are calling there modified cry engine).
    latest?cb=20140608004816
  • FgnToNo

Posted:
    Posted:
    Nope. Engine swap at this point would be, at best, a full project wipe. The time spent fixing the incompatibilities would equal or outweigh starting from scratch, art assets and all.
  • Rockglen

Posted:
    Edited: by Rockglen
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Did anyone disect the UELA for Lumberyard yet? I doubt the Amazon Server requirement is the only catch.
    What does it say about stuff like:
    -Intellectual property?
    -Commercial use?
    -Amazon's rights to add/remove stuff?
    -Bandwidth and fair use policies?
    -Privacy of both creators and those making use of the creations of others?

They seem to be going for a Games As A Service plan. If we ever get fast enough bandwidth for home users this could be one of the ways that game (rendering) move to public clouds as well.

I've had a few thoughts about the idea of GaaS since learning this, but prognostication online usually upsets someone.
    et5tfq.jpg
  • crispydragon

Posted:
    Posted:
    it's too late now

but I'm interested to see the other games that come from this
    RIP Merchantman 2013-2013

• firefly303

Posted:
    Posted:
    I think that looking at Lumberyard is a good idea, and may inspire some useful bits of helping Star Citizen's code make some headway... that said, scrapping the current engine and starting again would be a multi-year delay... I don't think the users would tolerate that, nor do I particularly think they should. There will always be something shinier.
    png.php?u=firefly212&t=.png
  • Krishach

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

The engine CIG uses is so far away from CryEngine at this point

agreed. Even by the very flexible timetable of this project, its far too late in the game to change. You'd scrap everything to do with the engine, and everything integrated in the engine.

“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” ~ Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
  • Baragoon

Posted:
    Posted:
    0ZVGQPo.jpg

Citizens [REDACTED]: 602_

• PapaDragon

Posted:
    Posted:
    It's certainly too late now to change the whole engine, but perhaps "just" integrate the net-code part ?

Still, I have the feeling the demands on the net-code in Star Citizen are very different from anything else out there actually. And also x64...

TL;DR : no and no
    Where is my Merchantman?
  • Univ

Posted:
    Posted:
    I'm sorry to burst bubbles but SC is at this stage technically and most importantly economically irreversible.

But CIG has still several options to develop SC's engine further, either with profound tweaks or with additions through its API.
  • patterson20

Posted:
    Posted:
    It's not as simple as "Lumberyard netcode is better". The problem is, you view things from a player perspective. You see instability, therefore you say " netcode is bad". But it doesn't work quite like that.

Most of what you see isn't the result of bugs, bad or unoptimised netcode. It's the result of incomplete code. The 16 players by "instance" (they aren't actually instances, right now they are servers. Instances are something completely different that we will see once the actual alpha PU launches). for example, isn't a limitation caused by bad netcode. It's the limitation caused by the number of physic grids, a feature no netcode anywhere natively supports. And even then, it's not a bug. Later, the devs will add a new feature to the netcode that will suddenly enable large numbers of players.
  • BadWolfCoda

Posted:
    Posted:
    No way! Lumberyard may have been built for online games, but that doesn't mean that it will support Star Citizen. CIG has made code changes specific to Star Citizen. I don't think Amazon built LY with the intention to handle everything that CIG has put and is putting into SC. Some engines start out being built or modified for specific games. Because of this, there is no other engine that will be as good for that game. CIG's CryEngine build is unique in that it must handle not only normal netcode but all the zones in the game and the internal physics grids for all the ships and the players inside the ships, etc. Lumberyard will have to be rebuilt just as CryEngine was.
    Polaris "JARAH" | Carrack "T'POL" | Merchantman "STATION" | Cutlass "CLAUDIA BLACK" | Herald "DEAD LINK" | 85X "CAREFUL SHOUTING" |

The day is my enemy. All else is in the way.
  • Snapshot-GER

Posted:
    Posted:
    You are not allowed to change the Amazon engine - game over

In CIG we trust!
    Snapshot_377.png
  • 4thekore

Posted:
    Posted:
    .eJwNwsENwyAMAMBdGADj4EKTNTpAhQiCSAlG2Hl

New loading screen PTU 2.6.0 O

From Amazon

Lumberyard is made up of proven technology from CryEngine, AWS, Twitch, and Double Helix. We’ve hired some of the best game technologists in the world, who have already made over 996 additions, fixes, and improvements to Lumberyard. For example, we've integrated a brand new networking layer, GridMate, so your engineers can more easily build low-latency multiplayer games with large numbers of players. We’ve introduced Cloud Canvas, which enables your engineers and technical designers with little to no backend experience to build live online game features, such as community news feeds, sharing scores, and server-side combat resolution, in minutes using Lumberyard’s visual scripting system. We’ve also integrated Lumberyard with Amazon GameLift, so you can deploy, scale, and operate session-based multiplayer games. We’ve built a new component entity system so that you can easily populate and define the behaviors of the game world by creating entities and defining their behavior by adding components using drag-and-drop workflows in the Lumberyard Editor, and added a new code generation system to allow you to annotate your C++ code and generate the code you need. We’ve advanced the engine to include support for mobile devices, including support for Metal. We’ve created a new launcher and project configurator so your team can get set up without engineering help. We’ve also created new workflows so your artists can iterate faster and create higher-quality content, including a new particle effects editor, new FBX mesh importer, 2D/UI editor, and cross-platform asset pipeline. Please see our full release notes of additions, fixes, and improvements to learn more, and tune in to our GameDev Blog for more news on what we are working on.

Corel Co.
  • Xmitoo13

Posted:
    Posted:
    what does this mean to the Game?
    Sebastian.N.
  • 4thekore

Posted:
    Posted:
    My org mate have been talking about way better fps. So far.
    Corel Co.
  • Snerch

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

what does this mean to the Game?

It means you better get your axe out. It's gonna get ugly in here (:
  • youknowmyname

Posted:
    Posted:
    i think it just means they get the content delivery part using lumberyard apis since star citizen cdns are hosted on amazon aws.
  • Harbard

Posted:
    Posted:
    @xmitoo13 Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just ignore the thread.
    64sibnos.png
  • 4thekore

Posted:
    Posted:
    It's cryengine but from Amazon
    Corel Co.
  • Kami-3k

Posted:
    Posted:
    Except it's still their "StarEngine."
This discussion has been closed.