SHIP SIZE COMPARISON / SHIP SCALE (3.0)

Zulu_Sauer

Posted:
Edited: by Zulu_Sauer
Posted: -
So, with the new site no longer storing images and unable to edit the original post, We move on to v3.

v2: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/18648/ship-size-comparison-ship-scale-2-0/p1

MOVED A LOT OF THE UPDATE HISTORY HERE: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3052152/#Comment_3052152

GUwGhnn.jpg

7/1/14
-- Updated Gladiator sizes based on Dev comments
-- Added Freelancer Max side silhouette and updated standard freelancer silhouette
-- Fixed Xi'An spelling
7/11/14
-- Fixed a grid issue
-- Added Gladius side silhouette
-- Reorganized ships via length
-- Resized Avenger based off of in engine measurements (should have done that a long time ago)
7/16/14
-- Updated Scythe with silhouettes and measurements done in engine
8/1/14
-- Updated M50 per measurements take in cryengine and added a frontal silhouette.
8/15/14
-- Fixed Khartu-Al's scale
-- Updated Constellation (now using Andromeda silhouette)
9/29/14
- Added Reclaimer silhouette
- Updated Scythe Blade
- Realigned Constellation
10/11/14
- Added 890 Jump
10/12/14
- Updated Reclaimer silhouette (Old one i had pieced together) new one is made from 3d element. I will be updated some others this way in the future.
10/16/14
- Updated silhouettes for the Gladius, 300i, Hornet F7C and M, Cutlass, Freelancer and the Constellation.
It does not look like much of an update, but some of these were traced or put together with pieces of several images to try and keep it as 2d looking as possible. New silhouettes are made from actual 2d views of the 3d models, so they are accurate now.
11/2/14
_ Added 85x
- Added Drake Herald
- Updated silhouettes for the Redeemer, M50, P52, Avenger and the Aurora
12/2/14
- Added the Carrack
- Updated the Banu
12/12/14
- Updated the Gladiator
- Added SC logo
- Added web address for the game
2/22/15
- Added Orion

OV0UI6P.jpg

7/16/14
-- Updated M50, Gladius, Gladiator, Xi'an Kartu and added the Redeemer
9/26/14
-- Added Reclaimer. Scaled to current ship specs
10/11/14
-- Added 890 Jump
12/05/14
-- Added Carrack
-- Labeled the largest silhouette as the Panther
-- Update the Javelin silhouette
2/22/12
-- Updated Bengal to 1100m
-- Added Orion

And, Dilleck's render all the holoviewer models we have (rendered to scale):
jRz2Zkb.jpg

4yecK1X.jpg
  • BWC_Slammer

Posted:
    Posted:
    I heard them talking that the starfarer was 135 meters
  • Crichton

Posted:
    Edited: by Crichton
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Very useful! Thanks. I look forward to seeing the Avenger on this chart as well :)
  • Carsomyr

Posted:
    Posted:
    Good work, Zulu. Can this go on the SC Wiki?
  • T-Minus

Posted:
    Posted:
    Good work, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I am always curious how the different ships compare.
  • Zulu_Sauer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Good work, Zulu. Can this go on the SC Wiki?

I don't see why not but I am only updating this here.
    [hide]

I heard them talking that the starfarer was 135 meters

The Idris is 140, so I don't think the starfarer could possibly be anywhere near that large at it's weight and cargo capacity. Especially with only 3 main trusters (specs still say two TR4s - but pics show 3 that all look bigger than that).
    [hide]

Very useful! Thanks. I look forward to seeing the Avenger on this chart as well :)

After they publish some side shots that have enough info to scale it, I will be adding them.
  • Lonestarr

Posted:
    Posted:
    very good work Zulu, the site benefits greatly from threads like this!
    Germany's soccer team; best actors outside of Hollywood.
  • AKAtheMilkman

Posted:
    Posted:
    At first I thought that was the Idris at forty meters. I was going to say "there is no way that is accurate." But then I realized that was the Cat. Minus the Idris' comms tower, the silhouette of the two are remarkably similar.
  • KitBash

Posted:
    Posted:
    To whomever is doing the scaling, are you using the docking collars as one possible reference point on ships that have them? As round objects that are easily identified and standardized in size, it seems like a good move for the ships that have them.

Wow, though. Looking at the Bengal alongside the Idris really underscores how huge the Bengal is (since we've seen the Idris in scale with people).

I mean, the Bengal's bridge is basically the size of an Idris parked on top!
  • Polaris

Posted:
    Posted:
    this is cool, cant wait to see that one bomber that is bigger than the connie in between it and the starfarer
    sDmOopM.png
  • Reach

Posted:
    Posted:
    The Starfarer is much bigger than 84metres, Chris stated the 84metres on the website is wrong and needs changing.
    Simon "SkyKiller" Reach

F7C-M Super Hornet
    Aegis Retaliator - The Ellie Day
    Rogue Squadron | WWW.SC-ROGUES.COM
  • Hawken

Posted:
    Posted:
    Nice info. Good to see the size comparisons.
  • Musi

Posted:
    Posted:
    Holy crap, that really puts the Bangal into perspective. Good job
  • Seabee

Posted:
    Posted:
    Your carrier looks a bit to big, it is 800 m in size. it should be the size of 8-9 starfarers and 5-6 times the idris.
  • GENOTYPE

Posted:
    Posted:
    Bengal looks scary now
  • Action-Hank

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Your carrier looks a bit to big, it is 800 m in size. it should be the size of 8-9 starfarers and 5-6 times the idris.

Although it is open for retcon, I thought the Bengals were meant to be +-1Km long?
  • Reach

Posted:
    Posted:
    Extractor:
    [hide]

Bengal looks scary now

Especially when you compare the size of the Idris to the size of the 140mm rail gun under the Bengal's belly.
    Simon "SkyKiller" Reach

F7C-M Super Hornet
    Aegis Retaliator - The Ellie Day
    Rogue Squadron | WWW.SC-ROGUES.COM
  • BobbyDyland

Posted:
    Posted:
    Idris looks too small, looking at the bridges for the Idris and Bengal
    Want to explore the galaxy? Want to meet new alien species? Want to discover the secrets of lost civilisations? Want to save mankind?

Play the Ur Quan Masters in HD now.

• Vyviel

Posted:
    Posted:
    DAT bengal!

Makes the other ships look like tiny fleas!
  • Yaphy

Posted:
    Posted:
    Good job. Though I still feel that the dimensions look wrong. It could probably be that RSI have given us the wrong numbers to work with. I don't know. It just looks of. Something with how big the cockpits are compared to each other. The Bengal command bridge must have huge windows if you compare it to other ships. I don't really see how two hornets could fit in that Corvette either.
  • Manisil

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I don't really see how two hornets could fit in that Corvette either.

In the images it looked like they would have to land in a single file line, so it isn't really that far of a stretch in my mind.
    "He's no good to me dead"
    www.te.lc
  • Elfwyn

Posted:
    Posted:
    The bridges of the Idris and the Bengal dont compare in size so easily, because the bengals bridge has multiple levels and the ceiling height is close to double the height of Idris one. The Idris bridge dimensions are more to scale with the constellations concerning ceiling height and freedom of movement. (meaning spacing between stations, not actual size)
    rs_elfwyn_sig.png
  • Zulu_Sauer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

To whomever is doing the scaling, are you using the docking collars as one possible reference point on ships that have them? As round objects that are easily identified and standardized in size, it seems like a good move for the ships that have them.

Number one thing is to use the published overall length. Secondly I go off the RSI's reference of a person being 1.8 meters in height for when I use concept art images. This is not the the most accurate way but the concept images are not final so I do it just to give us an idea of the size. Third I do reference the air locks when I can because they will be a game standard, but on concept art, they are not to scale, I need images of final renders to ensure those are correct.
    [hide]

The Starfarer is much bigger than 84metres, Chris stated the 84metres on the website is wrong and needs changing.

When they get solid numbers out, I will update it but right now the Starfarer is about the size of an american football field. That is a huge ship.
    [hide]

Good job. Though I still feel that the dimensions look wrong. It could probably be that RSI have given us the wrong numbers to work with. I don't know. It just looks of. Something with how big the cockpits are compared to each other. The Bengal command bridge must have huge windows if you compare it to other ships. I don't really see how two hornets could fit in that Corvette either.

I agree about the bridges but the Idris has a much lower ceiling than the Bengal's. That said, I work of a master file that is scaled to .5 meters per pixel. I am a bit crazy about making sure these a scaled to the exact dimensions. The bengal is published at 1000M and the Idris is 140M. They are to scale.
    [hide]

All the info I have is that it's 1000M. Do you have a source for 800M?

• Fr0dO

Posted:
    Posted:
    We must go......bigger.
  • Frost-Fire

Posted:
    Edited: by Frost-Fire
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Thank you for convincing me not to take a corvette in range of a hostile Bengal.
    photo StarCitizenSignature3.jpg
  • Skurkanas

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yes, I think the Bengal and Idris are to scale considering the more cramped design of the Idris' bridge.

Huge Bengal is huge
    dUwCz8
  • TrentTheWanderer

Posted:
    This is a great product, thanks for putting it together for us!
    BiE54SO.png

• Blobby

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very cool, hilarious that the Bengal's bridge is around the size of the Idris Corvette. Fuck that matchup.
    blackmailbob.gifcherry_blossom_tag_by_herrling-d33h58s.p

murr
  • BadIronTree

Posted:
    Posted:
    i was looking for this post
    New search suck @@
    sun_GR.jpg
  • Zurilia

Posted:
    Edited: by Zurilia
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Idris looks too small, looking at the bridges for the Idris and Bengal

Picture the Correlian Corvette from SW being put into the hangar bay of the ISD.. It's almost the same exact thing. Corvettes are not gigantic ships they are more/less ships meant for keeping enemy fighters in line.
    GM of Imitatio Dei
    10k Mark | Wing Commander
  • Zulu_Sauer

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

i was looking for this post
    New search suck @@

Yes it does. I had to bookmark it so that I can find it in the future.