New Star Citizen plugin for WordPress

ZypheR-Evolved

Posted:
Edited: by ZypheR-Evolved
Posted: -
Possibly the first plugin for WordPress with the intention of supporting the Star Citizen community, always a good thing right. Please support this project by tweeting this post or the official page, thank you.

What Is WordPress?

Those of you who do not know what WordPress is. It's basically a platform for launching a website. Over 17% of the web is built using WordPress - huge huh. It's being taught more and more in School because it is such a key part of the web. Getting to know it is a beneficial skill even if it's just to create a hobby site, help children in the family or help your org run their website.

A plugin is a piece of software that adds more features to the existing WordPress - which is FREE by the way!

Star Citizen Fan Site Kit - The Plugins Goals

• Primary goal is to make the setup of a WordPress Star Citizen site easier.
  • Secondary goal is to provide tools to add Star Citizen information to an existing site with ease.
  • Third goal is to provide very unique tools for Org leaders, this is when it gets interesting.

RfwUeF6.png

Developer Information

• Released early, in the same nature of the game we love so we can all shape the plugin together.
  • Made available on GitHub.com via WordPress.org for anyone who wants to get involved in development.
  • Created using the WebTechGlobal plugin core, which has expanding benefits as the core itself is improved.
  • Ad free, just what Star Citizens deserve.
The plugins core is ready for rapid development and the first feature has been added. It imports a batch of images via URL from multiple sources into the WP media gallery, saving time. Coming features may make use of the images and so it may double as part of the installation.

There is a list of possible features on the official page. The goal will always be to setup Star Citizen sites easily with minimum technical knowledge and make use of everything Cloud Imperium offer to maximize what fan sites offer.

You can read more about this new fan site kit here and download the plugin. You can also install the plugin by searching "Star Citizen" inside your WordPress admin on the Add New plugin screen.
As a Web Developer I'm perfectly entitled to waste a little space here and there alright!
  • specialsymbol

Posted:
    Posted:
    I don't know what this is.
    I don't know how it works.

But get some rep for this!
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

- W.B.Yeats
  • ZypheR-Evolved

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I don't know what this is.
    I don't know how it works.

But get some rep for this!

It's a thingy-ma-bob with woosh.
    It's powered by a Vanduul engine.

Thank you - rep downloading now.
    As a Web Developer I'm perfectly entitled to waste a little space here and there alright!
  • AwesomeAD

Posted:
    Posted:
    Moved to fan-sites
  • ZypheR-Evolved

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Moved to fan-sites

I suppose that makes sense. It just...kinda....feels like the basement down here.

* wipes cobwebs away *

Maybe a pointless comment will b**p the post up and shed some light on it!

* sneaks off into a shadow to wait for someone to come into the basement *
  • Tokomi

Posted:
    Posted:
    nice find!
  • Boraxx

Posted:
    Edited: by Boraxx
    Posted:
    Edited:
    As much as I like the idea of "quickly" creating a website, those that choose WordPress (or Joomla or other similar products), please keep your WordPress updated.

Though WordPress itsself is relatively secure, it's primarily the PlugIns that let you loose your website control to a malicious 3rd party.

Here are some tips and sites you may want to read / follow:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress
    http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-2337/product_id-4096/
    https://wpvulndb.com/

Purple replies are Moderator replies. click for forum rules
    boraxx-sig1.png

• ZypheR-Evolved

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

As much as I like the idea of "quickly" creating a website, those that choose WordPress (or Joomla or other similar products), please keep your WordPress updated.

Though WordPress itsself is relatively secure, it's primarily the PlugIns that let you loose your website control to a malicious 3rd party.

Here are some tips and sites you may want to read / follow:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress
    http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-2337/product_id-4096/
    https://wpvulndb.com/

Very true.

Anything online can be risk and everything has it's procedures to be safer - just like internet banking or posting stuff on a social network. We need to take our time.

Those links should be followed and reading done if one plans to install WP themselves which is actually simple. In a way it can be too simple because anyone can create a site within an hour. They may do so without taking security advice which can also be very simple.

There is lots of free help especially within this community. There is a WP + Star Citizen community growing we could say. So seek them out if unsure.
  • M-Paradox

Posted:
    Posted:
    I applaud your efforts with this plugin. It would certainly be refreshing to pull only components and data sets needed to overlay on an alternative clan site. Looking forward to the progress.
    sig_600x120.png
  • ZypheR-Evolved

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I applaud your efforts with this plugin. It would certainly be refreshing to pull only components and data sets needed to overlay on an alternative clan site. Looking forward to the progress.

Thank you.

I will take this opportunity for a short update. I created a plugin for Twitch which currently sits as a prototype to gain interest and establish the true need for that plugin. Much of the work in that plugins project will go into the Star Citizen one.

Also I'm now working on a new plugin core. The finished product will boost development. The finish product will allow me to create a plugin that actually has a chance of being popular and accepted by other developers.

In short, I is still working on it but no shortcuts are being taking and you can thank CIG for years of inspiration to doing that.
  • paulgali

Posted:
    Posted:
    If only CIG made their long-promised API public...oh that is lost in the deep spaces of the old rsi site :/

By the way, great work on this, keep up the hard work. Interestingly, i came across this when i was developing my database. Going to check it out now, might as well take a break from JSON ;)
    zC2iVX1.gif