Travis says no keybinding customization till later. Not coming in 0.9

Tud

Posted:
Edited: by Tud
Posted: -
Really ? What was this I remember hearing about it being so important it was top priority after .8 to get it in asap. Straight from CR's mouth. Now it isnt gonna be in until 1.0?? (EDIT Travis responded and confirmed it would not be in the 0.9 patch as well, but somewhere between 0.9 and 1.0, he couldn't say when exactly though, which leaves me to believe we shouldn't expect it right away exactly. 1-2 patches after 0.9? How long that will take? Who knows. )

Oh but we got leader boards! /sarcasm. Jeez, where are the priorities? I for one am incredibly disappointed. Joystick has some terrible built in deadzone from the game(probably to make xbox crap work better) and half the commands arent even bindable to a joystick button because they didnt even define a joystick OPTION in the actionmap. No sensitivity adjustment in game, no ability to invert other axis.... unbelievable they havent got this in by now.

I for one (and I know Im not alone even if folks are afraid to say so for fear of the white knighting fanbase) am INCREDIBLY disappointed this got pushed to the side.

And the most annoying part is we have to hear this from Travis, all the while being led on till now that it was in 0.9.
  • Zabulon

Posted:
    Edited: by Zabulon
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Joystick has some terrible built in deadzone from the game(probably to make xbox crap work better)

What stick are you using? There is no deadzone while using my X52 Pro, except from the small mechanical deadzone intrinsic to that stick, sans the magnet mod.

No sensitivity adjustment in game ( ... )

Bring down the console and input

v_joystickSensitivity=X.X
    v_joystickTwistSensitivity=Y.Y
    (Twist is for joysticks with a twist axis, of course)

Where X.X and Y.Y are numbers between 0.0 and 2.0 (I use 0.6 and 0.5 respectively).
  • Cyrops

Posted:
    Posted:
    Eh? Really? souce?
    I was refraining to fly around due to default key mapping choices. Can't believe I'm going to have to use a third party software to remap keys >.>
    Haven towards Left, Warriors go Right.

The Best isn't the smartest or even the strongest,
    The Best is the Fiercest!
    The biggest 'Do or Die' in the entire 'Verse,
    Tough, Indestructible and fucken Ruthless,
    Elites.
  • Zabulon

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Eh? Really? souce?

The latest Reverse the Verse. Travis said they'll have a handful of preset keybindings for the upcoming patch, then full customization on the next patch.
  • Trapjaw

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Really ? What was this I remember hearing about it being so important it was top priority after .8 to get it in asap. Straight from CR's mouth. Now it isnt gonna be in until 1.0??

Oh but we got leader boards! /sarcasm. Jeez, where are the priorities? I for one am incredibly disappointed. Joystick has some terrible built in deadzone from the game(probably to make xbox crap work better) and half the commands arent even bindable to a joystick button because they didnt even define a joystick OPTION in the actionmap. No sensitivity adjustment in game, no ability to invert other axis.... unbelievable they havent got this in by now.

I for one (and I know Im not alone even if folks are afraid to say so for fear of the white knighting fanbase) am INCREDIBLY disappointed this got pushed to the side.

And the most annoying part is we have to hear this from Travis, all the while being led on till now that it was in 0.9.

1390269212824.png
  • Tud

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Eh? Really? souce?
    I was refraining to fly around due to default key mapping choices. Can't believe I'm going to have to use a third party software to remap keys >.>

Reverse the verse or whatever it is, from the transcripts.
  • Cyrops

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Eh? Really? souce?

The latest Reverse the Verse. Travis said they'll have a handful of preset keybindings for the upcoming patch, then full customization on the next patch.
    Well that sucks, gonna have to setup AutoHotKey, my standart movement is RDFG as opposed to WASD.
    Haven towards Left, Warriors go Right.

The Best isn't the smartest or even the strongest,
    The Best is the Fiercest!
    The biggest 'Do or Die' in the entire 'Verse,
    Tough, Indestructible and fucken Ruthless,
    Elites.
  • BobbyDyland

Posted:
    Posted:
    Sorry, is this a joke? Cos it's not funny. Keybindings were promised in 0.9 at Gamescom
    Want to explore the galaxy? Want to meet new alien species? Want to discover the secrets of lost civilisations? Want to save mankind?

Play the Ur Quan Masters in HD now.

• Apollo

Posted:
    Posted:
    To be fair I've heard CR, et al. say that 0.9 would introduce "some level of keybinding / first iteration of keybinding" [delete as most comfortable to personal sensitivities] and never the full-fat, all singing - all dancing, complete button customisation. Only 1.0 would bring that.

Again, it's a case of the complete blockage via wax in some people's ears compounded by chinese whispers.
  • Zabulon

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Eh? Really? souce?

Well that sucks, gonna have to setup AutoHotKey, my standart movement is RDFG as opposed to WASD.
    I used to have ASZX as mine until I forced myself to start using WASD instead ;)
  • Tud

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Eh? Really? souce?

A handful of preset keybindings.... jesus... whats the damn POINT???? if I wanted that I would have just used the presets they already HAVE, but I don't because they are terrible! I mean did they even PLAY the game with how they have some of their presets for the joysticks bound???? Why are my lateral movements not bound? Why are you only using 1/3 of the buttons on the joystick? Why is my YAW on the x axis reversed?

Got additional rudder pedals? To bad because we didnt include that in our presets!

I was so excited to finally be able to do this in game....... but NOPE apparently leaderboards is more important then letting people be able to bind keys to their flipping controllers....
  • WatcherX

Posted:
    Edited: by WatcherX
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Eh? Really? souce?

I used to have ASZX as mine until I forced myself to start using WASD instead ;)
    I'm fine with WASD. :)

However, I would love to remap some of the wonky axes on my Thrustmaster joystick (roll and yaw are swapped, for example). And that, without any outside cfg document. Oh well, 1.0 it is then... ;)
  • brokenmatt

Posted:
    Edited: by brokenmatt
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Actually he said 13.1, 1.0 is 14.

23:10 http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/b/562787313
  • Tud

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

To be fair I've heard CR, et al. say that 0.9 would introduce "some level of keybinding / first iteration of keybinding" [delete as most comfortable to personal sensitivities] and never the full-fat, all singing - all dancing, complete button customisation. Only 1.0 would bring that.

Again, it's a case of the complete blockage via wax in some people's ears compounded by chinese whispers.

Nobody is asking for flippin axis curves here. Simple axis and button detection with multiple devices and the ability to set sensitivity would be damn nice though. It isn't exactly rocket science here.

But NOPE we get more worthless presets. And quit apologizing for them, they DEFINITELY misled folks about the keybindings in 0.9 even the mods here told me when I asked for help getting my joystick to work to wait till 0.9 because "keybinding" was gonna be coming.
  • shadowrunner

Posted:
    Edited: by shadowrunner
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Sorry, is this a joke? Cos it's not funny. Keybindings were promised in 0.9 at Gamescom

"promised"

that word does not exist in CIG vocabulary... there is only goals, guidelines, try and hopes.
    3Dn159j.pngtNmEOPk.gif
  • Tud

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Which would be when? assuming .9 (which is 13.0) comes out sometime before the middle of september?
  • Zabulon

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

A handful of preset keybindings.... jesus... whats the damn POINT???? if I wanted that I would have just used the presets they already HAVE, but I don't because they are terrible! I mean did they even PLAY the game with how they have some of their presets for the joysticks bound???? Why are my lateral movements not bound? Why are you only using 1/3 of the buttons on the joystick? Why is my YAW on the x axis reversed?

Got additional rudder pedals? To bad because we didnt include that in our presets!

I was so excited to finally be able to do this in game....... but NOPE apparently leaderboards is more important then letting people be able to bind keys to their flipping controllers....

Well, I have bound the keys on my X52 Pro to my liking, and also adjusted sensitivity on it. It took me less than 5 minutes.

Granted, it's not a consumer friendly process, as you have to do some XML editing and mucking around in the Cryengine console, but a pretty front end for customization is usually a tad down on the list of priorities during software development.

One might disagree with how they prioritize their programming resources, but it's ultimately their prerogative to allocate resources how they see fit. However, I agree they could have been clearer about the fact that it won't be full customization in this first iteration.

It doesn't make me froth at the mouth just yet, though ;)

• brokenmatt

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

Which would be when? assuming .9 (which is 13.0) comes out sometime before the middle of september?
    You would imagine not long after as its .1 after it? But definitely a long time before 14 or 1.0.

• Tud

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Well, I have bound the keys on my X52 Pro to my liking, and also adjusted sensitivity on it. It took me less than 5 minutes.

Granted, it's not a consumer friendly process, as you have to do some XML editing and mucking around in the Cryengine console, but a pretty front end for customization is usually a tad down on the list of priorities during software development.

One might disagree with how they prioritize their programming resources, but it's ultimately their prerogative to allocate resources how they see fit. However, I agree they could have been clearer about the fact that it won't be full customization in this first iteration.

It doesn't make me froth at the mouth just yet, though ;)

Doesn't matter if the action map doesn't have a joystick option defined, you cant map squat to it. Also if its reading your axis backwards, how the hell are you suppose to flip it so it isnt backwards? Doesnt detect my ministick either.
  • VoodooShark

Posted:
    Edited: by VoodooShark
    Posted:
    Edited:

oh come on!

• BobbyDyland

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

oh come on!

Hangar's been out for a year. So apparently more than that.
    Want to explore the galaxy? Want to meet new alien species? Want to discover the secrets of lost civilisations? Want to save mankind?

• Tud

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

You would imagine not long after as its .1 after it? But definitely a long time before 14 or 1.0.

But of course we have no idea really. It may not even make it into "9.1" since you know, if was suppose to be here before .9, and got pushed back, and then it was suppose to BE in .9 and got pushed back.

• brokenmatt

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Oh come on? everyone ignoring the fact thats not what he said? I know its only a direct reference you can all check.
    [hide]

• BobbyDyland

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

zFVWry9.jpg
    Keybindgings, tho. I'm not asking for a fully fleshed PU, or even ship-on-ship balance, or even a working netcode. But Keybindings are pretty fraking basic. It's like resolution options, or an audio slider. These things should be default.

• Logical_Chimp

Posted:
    Posted:
    Well, for the .x releases (e.g. 12.1, 12.2) they were coming out approx one per week after the initial release. They kept this up until 12.5 - which took several weeks to come out, because they were working on the latency issues (and they kept us reasonably informed of the progress of that). From memory, 12.6 was about a week - 10 days after 12.5?

As such, 13.1 is *likely* to be around a week after 13.0 (unless some significant issue is found after 13.0 release that causes them to spend several weeks trying to find / fix it).
    I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
  • VoodooShark

Posted:
    Posted:
    and cut the white knighting it's not helping anyone
  • Tud

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Oh come on? everyone ignoring the fact thats not what he said? I know its only a direct reference you can all check.

[hide]

No we realize that now, the reddit transcript guy misquoted. but that still doesnt change the fact that they WONT be in 0.9 and frankly, considering how many times they have been pushed aside for other BS, who knows if they will make 9.1?
  • Zymran

Posted:
    Posted:
    Very unfortunate, however I'm sure there is a good reason for it. As has been pointed out, he didn't say it would arrive at 1.0, but internal build 13.1 which may not be far off 13.0 (our 0.9).
  • brokenmatt

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

No we realize that now, the reddit transcript guy misquoted. but that still doesnt change the fact that they WONT be in 0.9 and frankly, considering how many times they have been pushed aside for other BS, who knows if they will make 9.1?
    Hehe all good matey, I don't think itll be too long after, .1 tells me maybe the week after like it's in the works and will be the next top job. but we will see!!

• NeoST

Posted:
    Edited: by NeoST
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Oh c'mon guys, what do you need keybindings for anyway?
    They are also very difficult to integrate in game, so why don't we give them one more year or so, and in the meanwhile just use the predefined layout....

...and buy more stuff.
  • Logical_Chimp

Posted:
    Posted:
    Heck, maybe in testing 13.0 internally, they've uncovered some serious issue or something, and rather than delay the whole release again, have elected to push out 13.0 with what works, and patch it in later.

Maybe what we get in 13.0 is the 'non working' version (or maybe it can only map some sticks, or something), and they're pre-warning us that one of the 'known issues' for 13.0 will be control configuration not working.

In other words, it was planned to be in 13.0 up until yesterday, when they found issues. Rather than say nothing until 13.0 ships (and have a wild conflagration in the forums), they tell us now to give us a chance to get used to the idea.

It's not the ideal situation, but hell - sh*t happens in development.
    I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.