CIGs Idea of a stepped release?

ride-the-spiral

Posted:
Edited: by ride-the-spiral
Posted: -
ponce-lighthouse-stairs.JPG

Guys how long as has it been now? > 2months? I get that there are bugs but can we please roll out to the rest of the alpha backers?

I can understand slowly rolling out servers over a week or two week period but we are over 2 months now and less than half of the alpha backers are playing....That's not a stepped release that is an exclusive release and considering this 'stepped release' was only announced at release time (and I won't even go into the delays there) it's kind of irritating and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like I have not received the level of access I pledged for, that CIG should have been more clear about their intentions regarding release, etc.

Maybe a statement on when we can expect access? A nod to us folks who feel like second class citizens because of our pledge #s? There are already so many in game mechanics that punish people for coming late the party (hanger shwag and LTI for instance) do we really have to endure this as well?

Thanks,
Ride
"My God, it's full of stars."
  • Puls0nic

Posted:
    Posted:
    They are still troubleshooting the rubberbanding issues and whatnot. They only roll out once the system is stable for the current users. Presumably the rest of the backers should have access with patch 12.5.
  • Redjello

Posted:
    Posted:
    #227096 here and going absolutely mad waiting for this next "step"
  • CaelumViator

Posted:
    Posted:
    While I generally agree with the wanting access to the rest of arena commander(I'm itching to get into multiplayer as well), I think the main problem is that CIG has made it clear that they can't handle the full load of all the Alpha backers. It's not that they are holding out on us. They just can't meet that demand. Signing up as Alpha backers does not mean that we immediately get access to all features as soon as they come out but that we were comfortable putting money forward to be included in the Alpha stage development process, which includes dealing with unforeseen bugs and delays that CIG encounters as they release the game. The lack of the servers being able to handle the load and preventing us from playing is no different then an in game bug that prevents someone from firing a missile. Both are errors in the current iteration of the game that we signed up to be the testers for and therefore we need to be patient and provide feedback on ways to fix the problem as opposed to just asking for stuff sooner. Potentially CIG could have tried to do some type of cycled release where different parts of the Alpha population got access at different times but I feel this would have added a level of complexity that really wouldn't have helped move the game forward even if it might have helped alleviate some of us later backers itchy trigger fingers.

TL;DR When I purchased my Alpha access, I saw it much more as a request from me to CIG to be included in the game development process earlier on(whatever level of access that ended up being), as opposed to a rock solid assurance from CIG that I would get access to everything and that everything would work when it came out.
  • Dirtbag

Posted:
    Posted:
    You just have to wait I have access but can not play - I rarely connect. Remember this is not a game alpha this is a single module alpha, who's primary purpose is to debug and stabilize net code, controls, basic weapons and damage models at this point.

Stuff some companies do are still doing after release.

Given they have not got the rubber banding figure out yet you could have a few days or weeks to wait. The jump to over 200000 broke a lot of net code, they have to fix it before adding more people, so if breaks they know where they are at.
    DES
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

While I generally agree with the wanting access to the rest of arena commander(I'm itching to get into multiplayer as well), I think the main problem is that CIG has made it clear that they can't handle the full load of all the Alpha backers. It's not that they are holding out on us. They just can't meet that demand. Signing up as Alpha backers does not mean that we immediately get access to all features as soon as they come out but that we were comfortable putting money forward to be included in the Alpha stage development process, which includes dealing with unforeseen bugs and delays that CIG encounters as they release the game. The lack of the servers being able to handle the load and preventing us from playing is no different then an in game bug that prevents someone from firing a missile. Both are errors in the current iteration of the game that we signed up to be the testers for and therefore we need to be patient and provide feedback on ways to fix the problem as opposed to just asking for stuff sooner. Potentially CIG could have tried to do some type of cycled release where different parts of the Alpha population got access at different times but I feel this would have added a level of complexity that really wouldn't have helped move the game forward even if it might have helped alleviate some of us later backers itchy trigger fingers.

TL;DR When I purchased my Alpha access, I saw it much more as a request from me to CIG to be included in the game development process earlier on(whatever level of access that ended up being), as opposed to a rock solid assurance from CIG that I would get access to everything and that everything would work when it came out.

That's half my point dude. There is $49 million in the pool right now, thats a lot of servers. The DB/Login/Synch/Matchmaking servers should be specced for the load of a large player base come release and instance servers are scalable on demand. After 2 months they are either being A) Cheap, B) Shortsighted, or C) IT impaired

I'm into this game for > $150 the way I see it I paid for some server time. My pledge alone would get a 2 month lease on a 64 man BF4 instance server and that's retail.

When I pledged alpha access I saw it as "I'm paying now to play War Thunder in space and getting an MMO later." Which is what AC has been marketed as, having AC access is not an incentive if I don't have AC access.
  • Logical_Chimp

Posted:
    Edited: by Logical_Chimp
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

That's half my point dude. There is $49 million in the pool right now, thats a lot of servers. The DB/Login/Synch/Matchmaking servers should be specced for the load of a large player base come release but instance servers? Those are cheap and they should be spun up to demand. They are either A) Cheap, B) Shortsighted, or C) Incompetent

I'm into this game for > $150 the way I see it I paid for some server time. My pledge alone would get a 2 month lease on a 64 man BF4 server and that's retail.

If you bothered to read the Comm Link about the Arena Commander roll-out from earlier this week (or was it late last week?), you'd know that it's not an issue of 'not enough servers'. They don't know exactly where the problem is, but they've identified a number of related issues (inc. insufficient data being fed to the physics engine, issues with the netcode, server stability, etc).

Given that the current connection issues, disconnects, severe rubber-banding, etc can affect matches with just 2 people in them (speaking from personal experience), spinning up more servers won't help (unless you want a server per player, and everyone flies solo? :p)

I can understand wanting to get in (I only got in with the previous step), but at the moment it's border-line unplayable, to the extent that I've stopped playing whilst we wait for 12.5.

On the upside, given the list of related issues they've found and fixed (none of which appear to be the 'real' cause, but all of which may have been contributing to make it worse), when 12.5 does land things should get a lot smoother :)
    I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

That's half my point dude. There is $49 million in the pool right now, thats a lot of servers. The DB/Login/Synch/Matchmaking servers should be specced for the load of a large player base come release but instance servers? Those are cheap and they should be spun up to demand. They are either A) Cheap, B) Shortsighted, or C) Incompetent

I'm into this game for > $150 the way I see it I paid for some server time. My pledge alone would get a 2 month lease on a 64 man BF4 server and that's retail.

If you bothered to read the Comm Link about the Arena Commander roll-out from earlier this week (or was it late last week?), you'd know that it's not an issue of 'not enough servers'. They don't know exactly where the problem is, but they've identified a number of related issues (inc. insufficient data being fed to the physics engine, issues with the netcode, server stability, etc).

Given that the current connection issues, disconnects, severe rubber-banding, etc can affect matches with just 2 people in them (speaking from personal experience), spinning up more servers won't help (unless you want a server per player, and everyone flies solo? :p)

I can understand wanting to get in (I only got in with the previous step), but at the moment it's border-line unplayable, to the extent that I've stopped playing whilst we wait for 12.5.

On the upside, given the list of related issues they've found and fixed (none of which appear to be the 'real' cause, but all of which may have been contributing to make it worse), when 12.5 does land things should get a lot smoother :)

I did read the report when it was made.

I want in because I want to see for myself, because I want access to the same broken experience as every other alpha backer. If it's truly unplayable then I'm sure they won't need to spin up too many additional servers to do it. It's not like they have to patch the instance servers individually. There are scripts for that sort of thing.
  • MT_travists

Posted:
    Posted:
    @ride-the-spiral, Apply for employment at CIG ASAP! As you clearly know how to rewrite their netcode and physics calculations in a week to fix all the problems your expertise is desperately needed.

Honestly, I doubt server space is the core of the issue. Backend traffic management, server assignment, location updates, etc. as well as some core program issues are much more likely to be to blame than just not renting enough slots....
    Acting Global Coordinator: Confederation of Free Traders
    0JO3TK.jpg
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

@ride-the-spiral, Apply for employment at CIG ASAP! As you clearly know how to rewrite their netcode and physics calculations in a week to fix all the problems your expertise is desperately needed.

Honestly, I doubt server space is the core of the issue. Backend traffic management, server assignment, location updates, etc. as well as some core program issues are much more likely to be to blame than just not renting enough slots....

Yeah I'm a web dev, I understand how servers work. I run a few cloud server, I've done the load balancer thing and I've read up on game servers. I'm aware that bugged out netcode has nothing to with server rollout and I've been watching streams and I know full well that the netcode has been bugged since the chosen few where granted access.

I agree spinning up additional instance should have little impact on stability, so therefore CIG should rent the slots and squash any rumors of their being cheap or disenfranchising backers.

If CIG is doing damage control by not releasing to the other 250,000 backers with 200,000 currently playing they obviously don't know how the internet works.
  • Dfox

Posted:
    Edited: by Dfox
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Yeah I'm a web dev, I understand how servers work.

Would it be rude to lol here?

In any case, server management (in terms of load and physical location) for CIG is provided by Google cloud services. This means that the issues that they're experiencing regarding rubberbanding etc. are unlikely to be caused by "spinning up new servers" because this already happens dynamically.

It's much more likely that there is a bottleneck in the code, or a sync issue in the code which will need to be corrected by changes in the code itself, not simply more hardware.

Just be patient, there isn't much to do in multiplayer anyway as of now (no, I'm not in), so the only thing you're missing out on is more testing. That is what we're doing here - testing.
    vin34hk.png
  • Derbefrier

Posted:
    Posted:
    I know its frustrating but all you are missing are disconnects, rubber banding and a generally bad experience at the moment. I haven't even bothered logging in since they let the last batch in.
    "It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q
  • Derbefrier

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Yeah I'm a web dev, I understand how servers work. I'm aware that bugged out netcode has nothing to with server rollout and I've been watching streams and I know full well that the netcode has been bugged since the chosen few where granted access.

I agree spinning up additional instance should have little impact on stability, so therefore CIG should rent the slots and squash any rumors of their being cheap or disenfranchising backers.

If CIG is doing damage control by not releasing to the other 250,000 backers with 200,000 currently playing they obviously don't know how the internet works.

there is no rumor unless you are trying to start one now. CIG has been fully upfront about whats going on. don't let your frustration make you say asinine things.

"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I know its frustrating but all you are missing are disconnects, rubber banding and a generally bad experience at the moment. I haven't even bothered logging in since they let the last batch in.

Okay then lets call it what it is.

It's not a stepped release, it's buying time to fix netcode issues that have existed since pre-launch.
  • KrakkenSmacken

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Yeah I'm a web dev, I understand how servers work. I run a few cloud server, I've done the load balancer thing and I've read up on game servers. I'm aware that bugged out netcode has nothing to with server rollout and I've been watching streams and I know full well that the netcode has been bugged since the chosen few where granted access.

You say "cheap" but if they spun up more servers the way things are, I would call that "wasteful".

May as well blow money on marketing and having a "normal" publisher if they are going to bleed money to appease your obvious sense of entitlement.

• Nelson71

Posted:
    Posted:
    I would rather have the server growing pains now instead of when they roll out other parts but not really here for dog fighting so I am bias.
    Yes it is an opossum, yes it has teeth, and yes it is my only defense against pirates because my aim stinks.
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

You say "cheap" but if they spun up more servers the way things are, I would call that "wasteful".

May as well blow money on marketing and having a "normal" publisher if they are going to bleed money to appease your obvious sense of entitlement.

I swear you guys use that word, 'entitlement,' more than Mitt Romney at a fundraiser dinner.

Yes I am entitled, I pledged for 'Alpha access' I am therefore entitled to Alpha access, I'm not asking for a pint of CRs blood and a new gaming rig. I'm asking for what was promised. I'm asking for CIG to talk straight to me as an investor.

Furthermore if it was wasteful to spin up the servers for the remaining 250k then it was wasteful to spin up the servers for the vast majority of the existing 200K.
  • Nelson71

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

You guys love that

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

I swear you guys use that word, 'entitlement,' more than Mitt Romney at a fundraiser dinner.

Yes I am entitled I pledged for 'Alpha access' I am therefore entitled for Alpha access, I'm not asking for a pint of CRs blood and a new gaming rig. I'm asking for what was promised.
    and once we are actually in "alpha" I am sure you will have it.
    Yes it is an opossum, yes it has teeth, and yes it is my only defense against pirates because my aim stinks.
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

You guys love that

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Yes I am entitled I pledged for 'Alpha access' I am therefore entitled for Alpha access, I'm not asking for a pint of CRs blood and a new gaming rig. I'm asking for what was promised.
    I don't even know why I bother, you are really going to try and redefine the word 'Alpha?' Did you grow up in Pacifica? Did you take lessons from Bill Clinton "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is..."

My post was for CIG and to have a reasonable discussion on the state of the release. Go joust windmills elsewhere.
  • KrakkenSmacken

Posted:
    Edited: by KrakkenSmacken
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

You guys love that

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Yes I am entitled, I pledged for 'Alpha access' I am therefore entitled for Alpha access, I'm not asking for a pint of CRs blood and a new gaming rig. I'm asking for what was promised. I'm asking for CIG to talk straight to me as an investor.

Furthermore if it was wasteful to spin up the servers for the remaining 250k then it was wasteful to spin up the servers for the vast majority of the existing 200K.
    Item one, your not an investor. Investors see a financial return on moneys risked. Your a backer. Big difference.

Item two, if you read the updates, you will see that they discovered problems because they spun up more servers. This means that they needed to spin up these servers to discover the problems, so despite your short sighted view, spending money to advance the project (discover new bugs) is not wasteful.

Spinning up servers to placate your personal emotional requirements, would be.

BTW, I am just out of the 200k myself, but I have seen it first hand and it's really not worth all your emotional angst and hand wringing.

• RedPrime

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Yes I am entitled, I pledged for 'Alpha access' I am therefore entitled for Alpha access, I'm not asking for a pint of CRs blood and a new gaming rig. I'm asking for what was promised. I'm asking for CIG to talk straight to me as an investor.

I had to do this last night. It appears I must to it again. I think its time you reviewed the Terms of Service Agreement you had to sign in order to gain access to this site. So here you go, I'll make it easy for you:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos
    Primerus Redmane
    casrbanner photo 2syJ3WL_zpsvo8</div></body></html>
  • Nelson71

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

You guys love that

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

I don't even know why I bother, you are really going to try and redefine the word 'Alpha?' Did you grow up in Pacifica? Did you take lessons from Bill Clinton "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is..."

My post was for CIG and to have a reasonable discussion on the state of the release. Go joust windmills elsewhere.
    You sure are quick with the name calling so I would guess you havent grown up anywhere yet... By CIG's definition this is pre-alpha. So they lawyered you. We are not in alpha yet. But thanks for pointing out that you do know how to talk crap when people try to discuss your issue rationally.
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

You guys love that

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

You sure are quick with the name calling so I would guess you havent grown up anywhere yet... By CIG's definition this is pre-alpha. So they lawyered you. We are not in alpha yet. But thanks for pointing out that you do know how to talk crap when people try to discuss your issue rationally.

I have not called anyone by any names. I've simply pointed to the large straw based being you seem to be erecting.
  • ride-the-spiral

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

I had to do this last night. It appears I must to it again. I think its time you reviewed the Terms of Service Agreement you had to sign in order to gain access to this site. So here you go, I'll make it easy for you:

To my knowledge I've not broken any rules, I'm simply expressing my frustration with the state of the release. If I have I'm sure a mod will be by shortly to correct me.
  • Dirtbag

Posted:
    Posted:
    I blame all those companies who release busted games as "Alpha" to generate a gaming community for this. This as an actual module base alpha so stuff is busted.

But to the OP why would anyone added more users to an overtaxed system they are trying to fix, unlike you I work on the stuff that makes those cloud servers work, and 1 little tiny error in any setup pooches everything at some point.

So CIG wrote their own netcode and they have some issues to work out that is what this is all about, NOT you playing game it is not a game 'yet' there is no game yet. Instead of whining - and yes you are, consider this CIG had the balls to release this now and get all this over and fixed with well before the any actual release of a the game. That alone should make you give them some slack.

And by the way you are not punished for being late to the party I was rewarded for being early.
    DES
  • Speedracer99

Posted:
    Edited: by Speedracer99
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

It's not a stepped release, it's buying time to fix netcode issues that have existed since pre-launch.

Yes. And? The time is theirs to do with as they choose. Chris chooses not to release buggy crap until the current buggy crap is fixed.
  • MaddogK

Posted:
    Edited: by MaddogK
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Me too. There isn't much to test or report that isn't already know by the devs. Letting more peeps in is just going to piss off more players and create forum rage about how broken things are. You players who think your missing out on something, really aren't. I've got my pass but don't play because the experience is so bad, just let the devs fix it up, you're gonna be alot happier by not being in the current test groups, trust me.
    copy-cft-banner-dotless.jpg
    We are looking for reliable cargo pilots
  • Armsman

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

No. It's an Alpha test of software that won't be ready/available for actual public release for at least 2 years or more. ALL CIG's timelines are estimates, subject to change if they encounter any issues; and unfortunately, they encounter a large one that they are working to correct - which is delaying any expansion of backer access to the Arena Commander multiplayer modes.

You also probably might want to read the TOS you agreed to when you pledged; as they only thing you're 'owed' is a copy of, and access to the final release version of the game, when it's ready (with the items in your pledged for package; and any other add-ons you pledged for.)

Welcome to having a front row seat to a fully open game development process. <---- That's primarily what your pledge is worth at this point. If you're really upset about the situation, you can always contact CIG Customer service and see if they'll refund the amount(s) you pledged; and if you're still interested, you can come back and check where things are in 2+ years when the actual game should be nearly ready for actual public release. (Under the TOS you agreed to when making the pledge though, at this point CIG is not required to refund your pledge funds.)
    Ships: Anvil Carrack | MISC Freelancer | Origin 325A
    CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.50 GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GTX670 (Stock) 2GB (GDDR5) | GeForce Driver Ver: 355.60
    System RAM: 16GB (DDR3) | OS: Win7 SP1 64-bit
    Display Resolution: 1920x1080 | Fullscreen+High | 45 FPS
  • Causa22

Posted:
    Posted:
    When i first started researching SC and the DFM module etc, it was always going to be access based on backer number.

We knew it would be somewhere between a few weeks to a few months, but 1st come 1st serve.

My backer number is in the 350k region. I expected it to be 3-4 months from the get go, and I know that the game will get more patches and bug fixes the longer I wait.

I honestly don't mind if it takes 6 months or more, as long as it's stable and been through some balancing by then.
    Connie Giveaway
  • Miggins

Posted:
    Posted:
    Since 12.5 I have mainly done my testing on the singleplayer side of things, simply because I can do stuff in there without constantly encountering the issues that CIG already know about.

Do some singleplayer testing until you get access to the multiplayer.

Once the MP banding and warping, but mainly the MP disconnections, get sorted we can start looking for other bugs within the game, but until CIG can make the game stable for the current testers who have access it's rather pointless to increase that number.

Forget "playing the game" too, that's not going to help matters in the least. When you do get access it's your job to try and break the game and report what you did to break it.

You can do that now with single player, why not try?
    i7/860 @ 2.8Ghz - 10G RAM - MSI GTX670 PE (driver 355.60) - W7/64 Pro.
  • RedPrime

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

[hide]

To my knowledge I've not broken any rules, I'm simply expressing my frustration with the state of the release. If I have I'm sure a mod will be by shortly to correct me.
    I never said you broke any rules. Its just that you seem to have forgotten what you agreed to contractually when you became a backer. I can't find anything in the ToS stating that any of us are going to get access to the alpha at time "x". In fact, its pretty clear from the ToS that we should never think of ourselves as being owed, or owning, anything other than a limited license to use the services provided to us. It seems you still need to review the entire contract.

Primerus Redmane
    casrbanner photo 2syJ3WL_zpsvo8</div></body></html>