** UPDATE ** Help Required! - Request for citizens to help provide more info on AMD systems stalling

Nicholson_UK_CIG

Staff

Posted:
Edited: by Nicholson_UK_CIG
Posted: -
Hey everyone - message from our Director of Graphics Engineering:

Hi. As I’m sure you’re aware, some users have reported significant hangs when running Star Citizen that can last 30 seconds or more. Unfortunately despite many attempts to reproduce the issue with very similar hardware configurations we haven’t been successful. Given the number of enormous variation in hardware and software configurations our backers have we were hoping to find backers who are experiencing the problem that would be willing to help us diagnose it by running our ‘profiler’ application to record what is causing the stall.

If you’d like to help then there's a few files we'll need to pass on to you. Instructions.jpg describes how to profile the hangs, sleepy_exe.zip contains the profiler application you’ll need to run (extract the entire folder before running it) and sleepy_src.zip you can ignore but this contains the source code and license information for the profiler which we have to provide as a legal requirement when modifying and distributing such a tool (we didn’t write the tool, but we’ve modified it so that you can profile the game without having the original source code, which we obviously can’t distribute).

If you’re able to help then we’re optimistic that we’ll be able to diagnose the problem very quickly, and if it’s in our code we’ll hopefully release a fix with the next patch, or if it’s a driver/hardware issue then we may need to request more info on your drivers/hardware so that we can work with the appropriate hardware vendors to find a solution.

Thanks for your time.

Ali Brown

So, if there's anyone out there that could spare the time to help us out with this request it would be much appreciated.
If you're willing then please send me a private message and I'll get back to you with the necessary files.

Here's links to the forum issues that we're referring to:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/159108/framerate-performance-game-freezes-and-holds-on-all-patches-so-far-amd-user
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/141323/frame-rate-performance-intermittent-computer-freeze
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/159056/frame-rate-performance-sporatic-whole-computer-freezing

Thanks!
Andy

UPDATE
Just wanted to let you all know that we're still working through your messages and responses - we've been a tad preoccupied lately...
*cough* gamescom *cough*
So this is just a quick update to say that I'll do my best to get through everything as soon as I can. :)

Worth noting that some of you have reported successful workarounds from turning on AHCI or from disabling turbo functions in your BIOS settings.
We've not as yet fully investigated these options however so may not work for everyone!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help thus far.
We haven't forgotten you!
  • Rogue_Maverick

Posted:
    Posted:
    I currently run AMD HD6870 GPU, just one for now, but I have upgraded case, power supply and mobo so i can run a second one as soon as i can get my hands on one.
    either way, I've noticed that I must be on the lowest graphics setting to run game w/o stalling or having any issues.
    but other than that, I recently got the invite to participate in the multiplayer. yay me!!!
    but so far I have not been able to get in. too many on the server, or something, it always times out. maybe i try later this evening when not so many people on.
    also, i have not been able to get into or participate on any of the chat channels other than my group. LUG (Linux users group)
    yes, I'm one of those that has a duel boot PC just so I can play this game.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated, like how do i get back in the general chat, or any of the other chat channels for that matter. and since I'm already looking for another GPU, what would be better at this time than buying a second HD6870 to run in tandem crossfire.
    can't wait to see the pvp mod, hopefully i can get in tonight.
  • Rogue_Maverick

Posted:
    Posted:
    ok, update, finally got in, and game locked up, and my missiles didn't come online after i had to respawn.
  • TGSP

Posted:
    Posted:
    @ A Nicholson : I'm running both an AMD CPU and GPU without hitting this issue.

If it might help in some way, I'm happy to run the diagnostic tools to provide a comparison.
    Current setup is
    CPU :Phenom x6 II 1090T
    RAM :8GB RAM
    GPU : HD5850
    HDD : 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA3 in RAID 0
  • Eclipzed

Posted:
    Posted:
    Same as TGSP. I run both AMD CPU and GPU with no issues.

I too can run the tools if it will help.

CPU: AMD 8350 Black Edition
    Ram: 16 GB 1866mhz
    GPU: XFX HD 7850
  • Kicker

Posted:
    Posted:
    I too run with a amd 8350, nvidia gtx 680 4gig, and 16gigs of ddr3 1600. I do not have freezing like in those linked pages. But i am willing to run the tools if it helps out.
    photo TRGWTFmuffins.png
  • Fangbo

Posted:
    Posted:
    To open the Chat you need to go to your account Settings>Overview and scroll to the bottom and Edit in the Chat section, I think.
    Worked for me.
  • INACTIVE_Turban

Posted:
    Posted:
    Missed that thread, I run a 7850k + R9 290 with no big bug like that ..

Eager to help althought not sure I can since I don't have the problem ...
  • db345T

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hi so I have this same issue but on other games like BF4, i have not encountered it on SC:AC or SC:HM
    I would be happy to run the profiler to see if I can help

the system I'm running is
    CPU :FX9590 running at 5GHZ
    RAM :16GB RAM 1866hz
    GPU : Gigabyte R9280X
    HDD : Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA3
    MOTHERBOARD : gigabyte FX990-UD3 rev. 3
  • Telescuffle

Posted:
    Edited: by Telescuffle
    Posted:
    Edited:
    AndrewNicholson:
    [hide]

Hi. As I’m sure you’re aware, some users have reported significant hangs when running Star Citizen that can last 30 seconds or more. Unfortunately despite many attempts to reproduce the issue with very similar hardware configurations we haven’t been successful. Given the number of enormous variation in hardware and software configurations our backers have we were hoping to find backers who are experiencing the problem that would be willing to help us diagnose it by running our ‘profiler’ application to record what is causing the stall.

If you’d like to help then there's a few files we'll need to pass on to you. Instructions.jpg describes how to profile the hangs, sleepy_exe.zip contains the profiler application you’ll need to run (extract the entire folder before running it) and sleepy_src.zip you can ignore but this contains the source code and license information for the profiler which we have to provide as a legal requirement when modifying and distributing such a tool (we didn’t write the tool, but we’ve modified it so that you can profile the game without having the original source code, which we obviously can’t distribute).

If you’re able to help then we’re optimistic that we’ll be able to diagnose the problem very quickly, and if it’s in our code we’ll hopefully release a fix with the next patch, or if it’s a driver/hardware issue then we may need to request more info on your drivers/hardware so that we can work with the appropriate hardware vendors to find a solution.

Thanks for your time.

Ali Brown

So, if there's anyone out there that could spare the time to help us out with this request it would be much appreciated.
    If you're willing then please send me a private message and I'll get back to you with the necessary files.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/159108/framerate-performance-game-freezes-and-holds-on-all-patches-so-far-amd-user
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/141323/frame-rate-performance-intermittent-computer-freeze
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/159056/frame-rate-performance-sporatic-whole-computer-freezing

Thanks!
    Andy

Hi,

If I'm not too late, I can help test fixes with the AMD Hanging issues which I too am experiencing. Send me the files and instructions whenever as this issue is getting on my nerves and would really like it fixed!

My comp specs in case you need them are:

AMD FX-6300 CPU @ 4.4GHz
    AMD Radeon R9 270X 4Gb
    12Gb of DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    Windows 8.1 Professional

Glad to be of any service.
    Scuffle
  • IntrepidCorsair

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

AndrewNicholson:
    [hide]

Thanks for your time.

Ali Brown

Thanks!
    Andy

Hi,

If I'm not too late, I can help test fixes with the AMD Hanging issues which I too am experiencing. Send me the files and instructions whenever as this issue is getting on my nerves and would really like it fixed!

AMD FX-6300 CPU @ 4.4GHz
    AMD Radeon R9 270X 4Gb
    12Gb of DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    Windows 8.1 Professional

I believe that I had this issue as well. I tried playing three times. Once it locked up and required a hard reboot. The next time bumped me back to the hangar. The third time I was able to play capture the core for about ten minutes before I got booted back to the hangar.

I also have a problem with the swapped HOTAS where throttle and stick are swapped on the X55. I didn't have this problem until i did a recent upgrade to Windows 8.1.

AMD 6350
    R9-280X
    16gb ddr3 @1833
    Windows 8.1
    html>
  • Telescuffle

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

AndrewNicholson:
    [hide]

Thanks for your time.

Ali Brown

Thanks!
    Andy

Hi,

AMD FX-6300 CPU @ 4.4GHz
    AMD Radeon R9 270X 4Gb
    12Gb of DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
    Windows 8.1 Professional

I believe that I had this issue as well. I tried playing three times. Once it locked up and required a hard reboot. The next time bumped me back to the hangar. The third time I was able to play capture the core for about ten minutes before I got booted back to the hangar.

I also have a problem with the swapped HOTAS where throttle and stick are swapped on the X55. I didn't have this problem until i did a recent upgrade to Windows 8.1.

AMD 6350
    R9-280X
    16gb ddr3 @1833
    Windows 8.1
    Its a bugger right?! A shame CIG wont respond to our offer to help resolve this issue nor will they tell us progress in solving the issue. Pretty damn poor for backers to see this after they were the ones who asked us for help....

Scuffle
    Scuffle
  • Disaronno

Posted:
    Posted:
    Have you tried pm'ing Nicholson? It doesn't seem like he reads the threads he posted but he did respond to the pm I sent with the files. I should mention that the files are meant for diagnostic purposes and are not fixes. There's been a couple of posts in the other thread saying that enabling ACHI for them has helped.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/160953/help-required-request-for-citizens-to-help-provide-more-info-on-amd-systems-stalling#latest
  • JP-the-Jedi

Posted:
    Posted:
    The SATA to ACHI fixed worked for me. I can confirm just now. First time I've made a game from start to finish.
    I'm here for the ganking.
  • IntrepidCorsair

Posted:
    Edited: by IntrepidCorsair
    Posted:
    Edited:
    html>
  • Telescuffle

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Have you tried pm'ing Nicholson? It doesn't seem like he reads the threads he posted but he did respond to the pm I sent with the files. I should mention that the files are meant for diagnostic purposes and are not fixes. There's been a couple of posts in the other thread saying that enabling ACHI for them has helped.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/160953/help-required-request-for-citizens-to-help-provide-more-info-on-amd-systems-stalling#latest

I did indeed PM. Got nothing back :(
    Scuffle
  • Telescuffle

Posted:
    Posted:
    AndrewNicholson:
    [hide]

UPDATE
    Just wanted to let you all know that we're still working through your messages and responses - we've been a tad preoccupied lately...
    *cough* gamescom *cough*
    So this is just a quick update to say that I'll do my best to get through everything as soon as I can. :)

Worth noting that some of you have reported successful workarounds from turning on AHCI or from disabling turbo functions in your BIOS settings.
    We've not as yet fully investigated these options however so may not work for everyone!

Anyway, thanks again for all the help thus far.
    We haven't forgotten you!

Ahhhh Gamescom..... i will let u off the hook this time CIG! ;)

Best of luck with it!

Scuffle
    Scuffle
  • SpaceWolfe

Posted:
    Posted:
    I dont know if this may help but other cry engine games like Crysis 3 have been know to have the same unplayable stutter effect I have an AMD FX(tm)-8320 ~3.5GHz and ATI R9-290x. I also experience the stutter issue on Crysis 3
  • gyras

Posted:
    Posted:
    Gray_Jedi:
    [hide]

The SATA to ACHI fixed worked for me. I can confirm just now. First time I've made a game from start to finish.

me too, ACHI fixed my problems.

AMD FX 8320 3.50 Ghz
    16 GB RAM 1833 Mhz
    Saphire Tri-X R290 4 GB
    Windows 8.1 64 bits
    SSD Samsung Evo 840 120 GB (for OS)
    HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3 ( where SC is installed)
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

• Eclipse3000

Posted:
    Edited: by Eclipse3000
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Sorry for the spelling errors, but this message was written with google translator.

Hello everyone.
    Because of the multiple blockages, I have always had serious difficulty playing AC.
    Single player > Very complicated
    Multiplayer > Impossible
    The change of IDE to AHCI has completely solved these problems.
    Many thanks for the solution!

AMD FX-8320 3,5 GHz
    ASROCK 970 Extreme3 R2.0
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB
    MSI Radeon R9 270
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Aerocool Strike-X Power 600W

Comparison made ​​with MSI Afterburner:
    6POwoAs.jpg
    See you :)
    html>
  • Orion-the-Hunter

Posted:
    Posted:
    THIS workaround totally works for my issues.

Windows 7 64bit
    AMD FX 8350 4.0ghz 8 core
    16gb 1600 DDR3 ram
    AMD Radeon Saphire Vapor X R270x

Game freezes as described many times and going into standbye / sleep clears up the issue 100% of the time for me.

I've noticed you HAVE to

Start Arena Commander once and get it to mess up.

Exit Arena Commander completely

Place your PC into Sleep / Standby

Wake your PC back up

Restart Arena Commander.

It doesn't work all the time if you just boot your PC, place in standby and start AC.

Also, I have to do this every time I restart my PC. Its not a one time fix. But, once I've done this, it lasts until I shut down my PC.

Hope that helps fill in another piece of the puzzle!
    8eipX9A.png
  • Dogstar

Posted:
    Edited: by Dogstar
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Just putting this here, missed the thread and posted it elsewhere.

Load screen black bar through middle/freezes, always loads though. Hanger when loaded 30+ seconds of black and white missilesor similar. Then half white half beige across the horizontal. Then Hanger pops in sometimes with the avatars right hand raised as if saluting. Then freezes and unfreezes at regular intervals for up to a minute. Often freezes as soon as I move or attempt to 'use' something. Sometimes get the ' SC has stopped working ' pop up, sometimes not.

Before this patch ( 12.5) ran ok, if a little glitchy!

The one time i managed to get into AC I froze up there as well.
    Also going to the game options screen freezes sometimes and/or doesn't respond.

Happened after last patch. Was buggy but playable before that.

Specs: AMD FX 6100 Six Core Processor

8GB RAM

Windows 8.1 Pro

GPU GeForce GTX 660 Driver version: 340.52

EDIT: Just noticed that my whole system freezes up when the Hanger module is running..in the same way described above...

Edit 2: The fix above from LON ( Hail LAMP!! ) works for me too. I still get the loading issues but when in the hanger and AC it works and I can play. In AC for the first 30 secs or so I don't have a HUD for the ship though.
  • Quaradur

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Gray_Jedi:
    [hide]

me too, ACHI fixed my problems.

AMD FX 8320 3.50 Ghz
    16 GB RAM 1833 Mhz
    Saphire Tri-X R290 4 GB
    Windows 8.1 64 bits
    SSD Samsung Evo 840 120 GB (for OS)
    HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3 ( where SC is installed)
    Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

Perfect........ACHI fixed my problems

The method:

http://www.windoctor.it/hardware/risolvere-crash-dopo-aver-attivato-modalita-sata-ahci-nel-bios/ in Italian language

http://winaero.com/blog/switch-from-ide-to-achi-after-installing-windows-7-or-windows-8/ in English language
  • Nicholson_UK_CIG

Staff

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hi all,

I've created a new post intended as a follow on regarding this issue.
    If you're still getting the stalling after attempting the AHCI workaround, could you please update on the new thread and provide a video if possible of the stalling occurring?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/171949/follow-up-to-the-amd-system-stalling-problems

Thanks to everyone who's been helping thus far!

Andy
  • Steel-Mantis

Posted:
    Posted:
    hi..amd 1090t 6 core at 3.6,8 gb ram ,r9 280,
    i have a small lag issue on drone sim,,when ever the vandal respawn i get a screen lag of 2 /3 secs

check time 3;58 for lag
  • NukeDaBeans

Posted:
    Posted:
    I Dont think I'm in the right forum, but.. .. . . . I need to know how to use the different ships in my hangar,. . . . . i bought a r9 295 x2 and got this game ($60 value).. .. i put my omega mustang in the hangar and i can see it there but when i go to playh arena commander it only lets me select 1 ship.... how can i use it? . . . im excited about this game, but this is bumming me out , please help
  • ARM-WarRick

Posted:
    Posted:
    Tenho o mesmo problema de congelamento no SC, dentro do Hangar, e na Arena Commander.
    Minha Configuração é:
    Placa Mae AsRock Extreme3 Fx990
    Processador Fx8350
    16 GB RAM
    VIDEO R9 270x Vapor-X
    HD Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200rpm 6gb/s 64mb
    FONTE Thermaltake 750W R PFC 80 Bronze
    SO: Windows 8.1 64BITs
    nA5PCAo.gif
  • Dogstar

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I Dont think I'm in the right forum, but.. .. . . . I need to know how to use the different ships in my hangar,. . . . . i bought a r9 295 x2 and got this game ($60 value).. .. i put my omega mustang in the hangar and i can see it there but when i go to playh arena commander it only lets me select 1 ship.... how can i use it? . . . im excited about this game, but this is bumming me out , please help

There are 5 ships currently available for AC use. The Mustang is modelled but not ready for AC yet. I do believe that in the coming week you can (for one week only) fly any of the 5 others that are available.
  • liamgibbins

Posted:
    Posted:
    My AMD FX 8056 I think it is keeps popping power supplies, it happend last time whilst running Arena Comander.

I had no problems with the system hanging but it is burning a hole in my pocket now..
    Galactic Energy is the premier energy company supplying the needs of the universe with high quality fuel. Founded in 2056
    *** RECRUITMENT OPEN ***
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/GALEN
    *** Website ***
    http://galacticenergy.co.uk
  • L-Flux

Posted:
    Edited: by L-Flux
    Posted:
    Edited:
    AMd fx 6300 and hd 7800 3gb along with 8g of ram. is struggling to run it and keeps stalling my PC out.
    " The savior who wants to turn men into angels is as much a hater of human nature as the totalitarian despot who wants to turn them into puppets."

Eric Hoffer.