PSA All Freelancer Variants are unique hulls!

Takedeze

Posted:
Edited: by Takedeze
Posted: -
Answered by @WCLoaf:
iJHj5bX.png

(edit: Thanks Bluesnacks for fixing my image link)
I want IXM's Scimitar!
  • Tarkaroshe

Posted:
    Posted:
    I was expecting as much tbh.
    albatrossbanner2.png
  • LanMandragon

Posted:
    Edited: by LanMandragon
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Oh wow. That's awesome. More ships.

Can't wait for the cutlass variants now.
    Prophet.jpg
  • Ridleybank

Posted:
    Posted:
    Interesting.

Why is the DUR a different hull? What's so unique about it?
    BARHAH!
  • ryuto

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Interesting.

Missile Launchers up top change the rear bay layout.
    “ I have learned the secret, my dear nephew, and I may traverse the trackless void at my will...”
    -John Carter, Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  • Juicy

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Interesting.

While it surprised me that it's a seperate hull, I figure it's the cargohold. According to the brochure, part of the cargohold has been sacrificed for fuel and scanning equipment.
  • RenegadeTurtle

Posted:
    Posted:
    Here you go

iJHj5bX.png
    All the lights in the sky are stars.
    ezgif-1023630264_zpsg2qgwolu.gif

• RandallOne

Posted:
    Edited: by RandallOne
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

Interesting.

That would be the MIS, not DUR.

I would guess the boobs but wo the missile launchers makes for a unique combo. Or maybe the extra electronics on top front, since that isn't a normal hardpoint.

I would like to have an MIS, but already have a Connie, which probably has as much or more firepower and so-on for those planned combat support roles. I will likely get a DUR if I don't buy one of the new explorer ships like a Carrack before the PU. Since the DUR isn't limited production, I'm in no hurry. I did buy one of the UEE coats for either my standard or DUR eventually.

Freelancer.jpg RandallOne
    Rare Gem Discovery. Alien Artifacts. Exotics.
    MISC Freelancer DUR, Origon 315P

I7-3770, SSD, 16GB, gtx760, Win 8.1
  • WoDRonaldo

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

Interesting.

Your thinking about the MIS, the DUR has less missiles then the default Freelancer.
  • ryuto

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

[hide]

[hide]

Interesting.

Your thinking about the MIS, the DUR has less missiles then the default Freelancer.
    Derp. You're right, my bad.
    “ I have learned the secret, my dear nephew, and I may traverse the trackless void at my will...”
    -John Carter, Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  • Deunan

Posted:
    Posted:
    That makes sense from the differences I noticed. It's going to cause a lot of people to rethink which to get that were maybe planning to mix upgrades like me. But I can live with it.. I was going to use the one select in it's main role mostly anyway.
  • Deathsnake

Posted:
    Posted:
    The DUR has extra Tankslots on the rear. These are not able to fit it on the MAX or DIS or Standard.
    Star Citizen Nr.250 Garage:
    Aegis Dynamics A3G Vanguard P5G Gladius
    Anvil Aerospace Hornet F7C-M
    RSI Constellation Andromeda ; P-52 Merlin
    Origin 890 Jump
  • DoomKnights

Posted:
    Edited: by DoomKnights
    Posted:
    Edited:
    This worries me a great deal. I was worried when they took away the upgrade slots and talked about taking away modulation this would happen. Nice we will have more ships, but not being able to take a basic hull and make it flexible (as it was originally stated, I know things change) now means we have static ships. Yes you can switch out some parts and what not, but it still seems we will be targeting towards stagnate ship lockups.
    bvcsorF.pngaBIG3k3.png
  • Liudeius

Posted:
    Posted:
    Wow, that's going to be a hard choice for Freelancer owners (at least if they don't all buy the limited variant as always happens).
    eB0YiaO.png
  • Lonestarr

Posted:
    Posted:
    Kind of depressing that ships having tons of options for what their purpose in the universe is starting to be limited now and instead going more towards a "buy the specific ship for the specific purpose" system they have gone to. However, I do think it's a great business decision as it should milk more money of people who liked a specific ship model and would have just changed them around by switching components in the game. Now they need to just acquire multiple variants of the same model.

So I drink tang. That means technically, right this minute: I'm more of an astronaut than you are.
  • Takedeze

Posted:
    Posted:
    bluesnacks:
    [hide]

Here you go

Thanks! I'll update the original post.

I want IXM's Scimitar!
  • bakayoyo

Posted:
    Edited: by bakayoyo
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I thought this was the case as there are some differences on the hull that cannot be accounted for by the jump drive or the sensor suite. The spoilers on top of the cargo bay and engines are probably not part of the jump drive, the standard and MIS have a similar jump drive but different spoilers. Nor are the 'bulges' are the front of the DUR part of the long range scanner, the MIS has the same bulges but doesn't have the scanner. So if you would remove the jumpdrive and the scanner from the DUR it would still look different from the standard Freelancer.

What really interests me though is are the long range scanners installable on the standard and the MAX freelancers? Is the DUR our only option to turn a freelancer in a exploration ship.
    k6FGSha.gif
  • Squigles

Posted:
    Edited: by Squigles
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Not going to ass about taking a screen shot, but this is the response I just got from Ben. Not exactly the idea of "unique" hulls we had from earlier ships if all of the equipment can be exchanged between them.

Cloud Imperium Games (Cloud Imperium Games)

Jun 09 16:24

Hello! I believe that all the Freelancer variants have unique hulls this time around, but most if not all of the equipment can be exchanged between them!

Ben

Edit: Original question

---- -----

Jun 08 01:01

I was curious, are all of the Freelancer variants modifications of the basic ship (can they all be made in-game through modifying the basic Freelancer), or are one or more of them unique (like the 350R) and need to be bought separately from the basic hull?
  • Tarkaroshe

Posted:
    Posted:
    Given the information, I'm still happy I went with the MAX.
    albatrossbanner2.png
  • Manic

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hmmm, don't really agree with this. I thought MISC was supposed to have really modular ships. This is pretty much the opposite. Or was it RSI that was modular?
    Purple=Mod Else=User Grammar Risk/Reward
  • Stainless_Steel

Posted:
    Posted:
    Hmm, that does seem to take a lot of the flexibility out of the entire Freelancer range.

On the upside, I'll be happy to keep my DUR if I can't put the exploration extras onto a MIS.
  • Roucious

Posted:
    Posted:
    Makes sense to me... if only I could get one.. I'll just earn one in game I guess :)
  • Lonestarr

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Hmmm, don't really agree with this. I thought MISC was supposed to have really modular ships. This is pretty much the opposite. Or was it RSI that was modular?

I think the money from the 350r has made them re-evaluate their stand and original intent. I don't think the lore matters at all, it's about them duckits.

So I drink tang. That means technically, right this minute: I'm more of an astronaut than you are.
  • Liudeius

Posted:
    Edited: by Liudeius
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Now the only question is:
    Can the cockpit decor be removed from the MIS and DUR?
    [hide]

Kind of depressing that ships having tons of options for what their purpose in the universe is starting to be limited now and instead going more towards a "buy the specific ship for the specific purpose" system they have gone to. However, I do think it's a great business decision as it should milk more money of people who liked a specific ship model and would have just changed them around by switching components in the game. Now they need to just acquire multiple variants of the same model.

I don't know.
    I suppose we still have to see what the now-gone upgrade system will be replaced with (unless you're suggesting a bunch of hull variants is replacing the upgrades).

If the customization remains at its previous depth, it's not like this lessens your options, it expands them actually.
    But then again, a Freelancer, DUR, or MIS will now NEVER be as good a hauler as a MAX.
    A Freelancer, MIS, or MAX will NEVER be as good an explorer as a DUR.
    A Freelancer, MAX, or DUR will NEVER be as good a fighter as a MIS.
    And the normal Freelancer is now a "jack of all trades" sort of in-between ship for the Freelancer line.

So yes, whereas the previous idea was "make your hull whatever you want," even if that modularity remains, you now need to fully replace your hull to truly make it what you want.

But on the other hand, they have effectively made 3 extra ships (statistically) by just tweaking one concept.

It does definitely seem to cheapen it though.
    eB0YiaO.png
  • Caedo

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I believe both are pretty modular, but RSI more so. @Squigles response indicates most gear can be used between the different models, so the Freelancer line is still very modular on the whole.

5BSMcY8.png
  • deadweight

Posted:
    Posted:
    This quote from the Freelancer announcement makes it sound like basic hulls can be modified into the unique hulls of the variants:

"These models are intended to show backers what they will be able to do with ship upgrades and modifications in the finished world, building base hulls out for more specific roles."

Now are those upgrades and modifications permanent? Or can you take a DUR and spend a bunch of money to modify it to a MIS. Don't know, but they seem to be implying that this might be the new form of "modularity". Applying upgrade "kits" to a ship's hull.

Stands to reason that if you had an Aurora MR that you should be able to buy an upgrade kit to add hardpoints and make it an LN. Now maybe modifying the base Freelancer to a MAX would cost over half the price of a brand new MAX... but you would at least have the option. Just speculating of course.
  • Tyran_Scorpi

Posted:
    Edited: by Tyran_Scorpi
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Differences from base model by variant:

DUR
    Gets +2 class 3 hardpoint(taken up by the fuel pods)[the reason it is a different hull]
    comes with 2x 3x S2 missiles, with the capacity to add 2x 3x S3 missiles (so it has 6 effective total class 3 hardpoints)
    Loses cargo for a better jumpdrive
    + Long Range Sensors

MAX
    +1 Max Power
    -1 Max Shield
    +2 Main Thrusters
    +Cargo
    -1 Class 3 Hardpoint

MIS
    +2 Class 3 hardpoint
    -Cargo for a missile reloading system
    (still has the class 5 turret in hangar so I am assuming the rest is a typo on the spec sheet)

Based on this they are all different hulls because there are hardpoint and max shield/power changes.

However, if you look at the MIS and DUR they are the same for # of hardpoints and max equipment, so it is still possible that you can change one into the other with enough upgrade parts. dropping a class 3 or two for fuel tanks...
    4ZoezIx.jpg?1
  • Decimus

Posted:
    Edited: by Decimus
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

Oh wow. That's awesome. More ships.

Can't wait for the cutlass variants now.

Why is the fact that they make it a distinction awesome? It's not really "more ships." It's like the guy that can do 100 "crossfit pullups" touts the idea that he can do 100 pullups. Not really since they aren't what everybody else considers pullups. Likewise these are just hull variants.
    I need friends. Who wants to be my friend?
  • MidnightWind

Posted:
    Posted:
    That sucks a lot, if we're limited in the equipment we can cross fit from model to model. I don't want my ships to be role stuck. I'd like to be able to use my MIS with extended sensors and drop tanks.

With the Hornet, 300i, and the Aurora almost all the equipment cross fits. The main difference is bigger power plant or shield capacity, and engines on the 350R. But that doesn't limit those ships ability to cross fit primary equipment.
    "I want to stress that no one has to or should contribute more than the basic amount for a starting package. Everything is earnable in the game with enough time (and skill)." - Chris Roberts
  • NotableJoe

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Yeah. I'd like to see a system where you can basically gut the entire inside of the ship and retrofit it for other purposes.
  • Leeford

Posted:
    Posted:
    "These models are intended to show backers what they will be able to do with ship upgrades and modifications in the finished world, building base hulls out for more specific roles."

Doesnt really jive with with what Ben said. So who is right? Ben or the person who wrote the announcement?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic