A possible fix for Windows 7 users stuck on loading...

sinsofasolarempire

Posted:
Edited: by Gyun
Posted: -
I've posted this fix a few months ago, but it still seems to be valid. It's an issue in the way that CryEngine interacts with Windows 7 networking, and has existed since Crysis 2 (I created the fix for it). This won't work for everyone, but should work for a chunk of you. See below:

There is a service on Windows 7 (not sure about previous OS's) that controls port activity (even if you're not using Windows Firewall). It glitches up (I'm not sure what causes it) and stops certain applications from binding to port (in my case, Crysis 2/Star Citizen). You just need to restart the service to fix it.

Open up task manager, go to 'Services' then hit the 'Services...' button in the lower right-hand corner (with the UAC symbol next to it). Once the window is up, make sure you are in 'Extended view' (via the tab at the bottom of the window). Find the service called 'Base Filtering Engine'. You should see something like this:
yVUz

Now just hit the 'Restart' button. You might be presented with a warning that it has to restart other services too, just hit 'yes'. If you find you're given an error at the end saying it couldn't restart it due to 'being in use by other services' or something in that nature, just hit the restart button again, and it should successfully restart.

After this, launch AC again.

EDIT: To restart it you might have to disable MSE/Windows Defender/Windows Firewall if they aren't disabled already.
EDIT2: There are reports of this fix working under Windows 8, I make no promises concerning this.
EDIT3: This fix is not for people getting connection errors, it's designed for people who can't move past the loading screen no matter how long you sit on it.

Hawx_New.png

• elementalest

Posted:
    Posted:
  • Canis_Lupis

Posted:
    Posted:
    Unfortunately did not work for me .
    All jobs negotiable!
  • Daston

Posted:
    Posted:
    Worked for me, managed to get into the game then after a few minuets I got connection failed :(
  • sinsofasolarempire

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Worked for me, managed to get into the game then after a few minuets I got connection failed :(

That's fairly normal. It shouldn't affect gameplay.

Hawx_New.png

• atrax

Posted:
    Posted:
    Yea, it's not working for me either. Haven't been able to even get into hangar since the patch let alone fly :\
    The Base
  • k3rn3l

Posted:
    Posted:
    Worked for me. Thanks much for the fix. :)
  • Blazar

Posted:
    Posted:
  • Strayed

Posted:
    Posted:
    Confirmed on Windows 8 - Does work.
    General Chat should probably come with the tags "Comedy"

• JackRabbitSlim

Posted:
    Posted:
    Doesn't work for me in Windows 7.
    I get "Error 5: Access is Denied."
    I only have an Admin account on this computer so not sure what that's about.
  • Rooivalk66

Posted:
    Edited: by Rooivalk66
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I got that Error 5 on Windows 7 and it worked anyway. Thanks!
  • TheGrue

Posted:
    Edited: by TheGrue
    Posted:
    Edited:
    @jackrabbitslim for error 5, try this, but be warned this will allow non-admin accounts, like guests or your kids on your computer manually manipulate services!
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/access-is-denied-local-services-windows-8-1

EDIT: Still blocked after trying this. I'm suddenly changing my viewpoint of windows 8 after this blasted 8.1 patch.
    -Gaius Zhen, Callsign: Grue
    Founder of Flightnight http://bit.ly/sc-flightnight2
    Proud member of the Browncoats http://bit.ly/sc-browncoats Director of Starwind http://bit.ly/sc-starwind
  • carlosjsd

Posted:
    Posted:
    worked for me, ive been looking for a fix since AC came out, thx man
  • Virk

Posted:
    Posted:
    wont restart even after 10 mins of trying
    thanks for trying though
    As a wise man once said,"Live long and prosper"
  • Redjello

Posted:
    Posted:
    My error comes in the loading screen after using the launcher button. this did not solve it for me, thanks for trying though.
  • PeregrinesFury

Posted:
    Posted:
    Didn't work. I played fine an hour after launch and yesterday. Not working now.
    photo forumlogo.png

• JonnyWaffles

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Doesn't work for me in Windows 7.
    I get "Error 5: Access is Denied."
    I only have an Admin account on this computer so not sure what that's about.

Same here. I have the only admin account. Not sure why it would do that. Any ideas?
    Video of Eternal-Silence, best action space combat game ever made.
    www.twitch.tv/mrwafflesftw
  • TheGrue

Posted:
    Edited: by TheGrue
    Posted:
    Edited:
    the BFE service seems heavily protected, at least in windows 8. After manually over-riding all control settings, manually running the process as an administrator through the command line and through the gui, I was unable to restart the service in window 8.1 due to error 5.

edit: workarounds updated:

• Compatibility issue Windows 8.1 Operating system - crash after staying in the initial loading screen (not the map loading screen) for awhile,
    Workaround for this has been running it in compatibility mode for Windows 7
    -Gaius Zhen, Callsign: Grue
    Founder of Flightnight http://bit.ly/sc-flightnight2
    Proud member of the Browncoats http://bit.ly/sc-browncoats Director of Starwind http://bit.ly/sc-starwind
  • LtChambers

Posted:
    Edited: by LtChambers
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I'm getting this issue too. Restarting the service doesn't help. Something strange is apparent when I compare log files from when it used to work (last night) and today. The FIRST time I ran it today, it had "GameName: Star Citizen" in the log. The end of the log looks like:

[Game Version]: RELEASE COMBO BUILD
    ============================ Loading level Multiplayer/HangarApp ============================
    [CIG] CDatastoreRemote::Init() done. result[0] username[redacted] SessionToken[redacted]
    ============================ Loading level Multiplayer/HangarApp ============================
    Registering TPS Extensions...
    CryAnimation: character-definition not found: objects/characters/human/sdk_player/sdk_player.cdf
    CryAnimation: character-definition not found: objects/characters/human/sdk_player/sdk_player.cdf
    System Shutdown

Every subsequent time I run it, it has "GameName: CRYENGINE" but the symptoms are the same and the game log is otherwise the same.
  • mrseacucumber

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am getting the same error :/

System Shutdown
  • Draconalis

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am getting it now too, I changed the settings on my computer from medium to really high so I could take a quality screen shot. I get the feelings that might be it, since that was the only thing different.
    photo SCCotD_zpse10a5934.gifSCI_zpsqksxtqs8.gif
  • Signo

Posted:
    Posted:

System Shutdown

Same Error. Looking at old bug reports about the hangar, I noticed that the map being loaded was "Wars/HangarApp" and now the problem occurs on Multiplayer/HangarApp. It's possible that the issue is CIG rolling out some of the multiplayer before our clients are patched and able to load the resources.
    Tabula Stellarum -- A neutral guild of explorers and merchants.

Have: Constellation, Retaliator, Gladiator, Merchantman, Freelancer, Carrack, Orion, and M50.
    Don't have: Sound financial sense.
  • Bandeeto

Posted:
    Posted:
    For windows 8 users, instead of trying to stop it, perhaps you could set the service to disabled, then reboot.

This would effectively sto[p the service, but if it was the above issue of not maaping ports correctly, not having the service running would likely remedy any problems with port mapping.

Just a theory, give it a try.
  • d-e-l-t-a

Posted:
    Posted:
    I am having the same issue - I can log in just fine but get the error "Connection Error Connection Failed!"

possibly relevant data - ran netstat and see the following

When starting the launcher and logging in, I get connections to:
    162.209.67.x (port 443 - believe this to be RSI authentication)
    205.185.216.10 (port 80 - think this is info listed on the right)
    127.0.0.1 (after a couple of seconds, process switches to the "home" address)

When clicking "launch" is see
    connection to 107.178.x.x (port 8000 - I see different addresses which resolve to googleusercontent.com)
    it usually switches to 127.0.0.1 shortly thereafter

While writing this, I was able to successfully connect, though the 107.178 was a new address. I suspect that some of the servers either have a bug which denies connections or are overloaded and cannot respond before the client times out.
  • sinsofasolarempire

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I am having the same issue - I can log in just fine but get the error "Connection Error Connection Failed!"

possibly relevant data - ran netstat and see the following

When starting the launcher and logging in, I get connections to:
    162.209.67.x (port 443 - believe this to be RSI authentication)
    205.185.216.10 (port 80 - think this is info listed on the right)
    127.0.0.1 (after a couple of seconds, process switches to the "home" address)

When clicking "launch" is see
    connection to 107.178.x.x (port 8000 - I see different addresses which resolve to googleusercontent.com)
    it usually switches to 127.0.0.1 shortly thereafter

While writing this, I was able to successfully connect, though the 107.178 was a new address. I suspect that some of the servers either have a bug which denies connections or are overloaded and cannot respond before the client times out.

This is unrelated to this fix and belongs in its own thread.
    [hide]

I'm getting this issue too. Restarting the service doesn't help. Something strange is apparent when I compare log files from when it used to work (last night) and today. The FIRST time I ran it today, it had "GameName: Star Citizen" in the log. The end of the log looks like:

[Game Version]: RELEASE COMBO BUILD
    [CIG] CDatastoreRemote::Init() done. result[0] username[redacted] SessionToken[redacted]
    System Shutdown

Every subsequent time I run it, it has "GameName: CRYENGINE" but the symptoms are the same and the game log is otherwise the same.
    This also belongs in its own thread. However I would suggest that perhaps your client files are corrupted and you should download them again.

I have updated the OP with new info.

Hawx_New.png

• Calroth

Posted:
    Posted:
    This worked for me. Thanks!
  • Chessdragon

Posted:
    Posted:
    I did this and deleted the game.cfg file and it seemed to solve my infinite loading screen issue. occasionally i get connection failed but only once so far.
  • Gyun

Posted:
    Posted:
    Thanks for helping to improve the Hangar Module/Arena Commander.

To better help others, this topic is better suited in Q&A area:
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/question-answer

Moving topic to Q&A
  • sinsofasolarempire

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

Thanks for helping to improve the Hangar Module/Arena Commander.

To better help others, this topic is better suited in Q&A area:
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/categories/question-answer

Moving topic to Q&A

Uh, I don't believe it is. People don't go to the Q&A section to find fixes for game issues, they go to the bug report section. You could as least add this to the workaround list.

Hawx_New.png

• JarronKhan

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I've posted this fix a few months ago, but it still seems to be valid. It's an issue in the way that CryEngine interacts with Windows 7 networking, and has existed since Crysis 2 (I created the fix for it). This won't work for everyone, but should work for a chunk of you. See below:

There is a service on Windows 7 (not sure about previous OS's) that controls port activity (even if you're not using Windows Firewall). It glitches up (I'm not sure what causes it) and stops certain applications from binding to port (in my case, Crysis 2/Star Citizen). You just need to restart the service to fix it.

Open up task manager, go to 'Services' then hit the 'Services...' button in the lower right-hand corner (with the UAC symbol next to it). Once the window is up, make sure you are in 'Extended view' (via the tab at the bottom of the window). Find the service called 'Base Filtering Engine'. You should see something like this:
    yVUz

Now just hit the 'Restart' button. You might be presented with a warning that it has to restart other services too, just hit 'yes'. If you find you're given an error at the end saying it couldn't restart it due to 'being in use by other services' or something in that nature, just hit the restart button again, and it should successfully restart.

After this, launch AC again.

EDIT: To restart it you might have to disable MSE/Windows Defender/Windows Firewall if they aren't disabled already.
    EDIT2: There are reports of this fix working under Windows 8, I make no promises concerning this.
    EDIT3: This fix is not for people getting connection errors, it's designed for people who can't move past the loading screen no matter how long you sit on it.

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU

• TheTrueLost

Posted:
    Posted:
    I cannot restart service, tried disabling firewall and antivirus (Eset) but no can do! :(
    ns34FLf.png