Equipment: Infantry Targeting Laser

kaybob

Posted:
Edited: by kaybob
Posted: -
This is my first post so let me know if I make any mistakes.

I think adding a targeting laser like the one in "Tribes 2" would add a lot of interesting game dynamics to SC. In "Tribes 2", the targeting laser was used to mark targets that required a more robust armament that most light infantry couldn't carry. If you were in a vehicle or had an OTH heavy weapon like a mortar, your HUD would show the firing solution on your screen, showing multiple angles to lob a mortar that would impact the marked area. It was extremely fun to use with small squads. Even as a passenger on a dropship you could mark targets. If you were stuck on the ground and requested a pickup, you could aim it straight up and people could see your location. The addition of this weapon would lead to more cooperation and would bridge some communication gaps between ground forces and air support. I could also imagine it being used by a group of aggressors in an EVA assault to request fire to disable a specific subsystem or turret on the defending vessel. At the very least, it would make for an awesome stretch goal.

Here is the a description of the targeting laser from strategywiki.org: The Targeting Laser (also known as the "TL") is not a weapon as such, and does not occupy a weapon load-out slot: its purpose is to assist teammates wielding grenade launchers, fusion mortars, and/or missile launchers. The targeting laser emits a thin, green beam of light; teammates wielding one of the above-mentioned weapons will see "markers" where the beam ends, and (for the parabolic weapons) a point indicating where to fire so as to hit the targeted point. It is a "free" item to all players, and may be selected by an assignable hot-key. The targeting laser also functions as a pointer to let the pointer let others know where they are; it can also function as a pointer to a certain location or enemy.
Targeting Laser
  1. Do you think a targeting laser should be added as a potential stretch goal for SC?29 votes
      Yes. The more lasers the better. Pew pew!
      58.62%
    1. No. I don't like having fun.
      41.38%
  • kaybob

Posted:
    Posted:
    I think it may be worth mentioning, the "Tribes 2" laser didn't function like modern day laser-guided munitions. You can't just laze a target and then boom. In the game, careful aiming by the laser operator did not guarantee a successful hit. This game mechanic was exclusively used with dumb fire munitions and relied heavily on shooter/pilot skill.
  • kaybob

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    I received a message suggesting I add some pictures showing what the targeting laser in "Tribes 2" looks like and how it functions. The first pictures gives an idea of how it looks for the shooter. The other 2 just show the targeting laser in action. I wasn't able to locate an image of the targeting laser as seen from the command interface or show how other users can be tasked to attack the target. If anyone has one please post. If anyone can find a video please add a link. Thanks.

Mortar.jpg
    targetlaser_firing.gif
    LaserAA.jpg
  • kaybob

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    Another cool idea might be using this to direct things on a ship like a tractor beam in conjunction with a mobiglass device when you are preforming an EVA so you can haul in something like an escape pod in while you are outside of a ship. So it can act as a tool to direct remote controlled tasks. Imagine being outside your ship repairing something and seeing a small piece of salvage floating by. Pull up your remote, tag the debris and your ships pulls it in. This may be too much work to be operationalized but it may be something worth looking in to because there will probably be a good amount of solo players.
  • matsif

Posted:
    Posted:
    [hide]

I think adding a targeting laser like the one in "Tribes 2" would add a lot of interesting game dynamics to SC. In "Tribes 2", the targeting laser was used to mark targets that required a more robust armament that most light infantry couldn't carry. If you were in a vehicle or had an OTH heavy weapon like a mortar, your HUD would show the firing solution on your screen, showing multiple angles to lob a mortar that would impact the marked area. It was extremely fun to use with small squads. Even as a passenger on a dropship you could mark targets. If you were stuck on the ground and requested a pickup, you could aim it straight up and people could see your location. The addition of this weapon would lead to more cooperation and would bridge some communication gaps between ground forces and air support. I could also imagine it being used by a group of aggressors in an EVA assault to request fire to disable a specific subsystem or turret on the defending vessel. At the very least, it would make for an awesome stretch goal.

with ship sensors, this is redundant. A ship's targeting computer would be more than capable of handling all of this without issue.

As a ground targeting mechanic for plantside fighting, it's ok, but I'm strongly against lock on launchers, so if it was implemented like Tribes 2 then I see no issue (solution for dumbfire weapons). If it was implemented like the SOFLAM in BF3/BF4, with a complement of launchers that can lock on, it's just pretty lame.
    4z0GZRz.png
  • kaybob

Posted:
    Posted:
    I totally agree on not having a lock on system with it. I think the whole lock on element will take away from the fun.

For the ship comments, I still think it would enhance gameplay and simplify specifying what item you want to interact with.

Thanks for commenting
  • ProcyonV

Posted:
    Posted:
    The idea sounds interesting.

But, the phrasing of your poll isn't neutral: You don't ask if we like lazers or not, you are asking if we want it added as a stretch goal. The negative answer part of your poll is childish, if not insulting (can't find a proper word to describe it)

I don't want it as a stretch goal. I like having fun.

I like the idea of designating a target: small ships like the mustang could by example designate target -say, engines / radar dome...- on an Idris, and have a Retaliator or a Gladiator do a Bomb run on those previously marked targets.
    ProcyonV_Signature.png
  • kaybob

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

The idea sounds interesting.

But, the phrasing of your poll isn't neutral: You don't ask if we like lazers or not, you are asking if we want it added as a stretch goal. The negative answer part of your poll is childish, if not insulting (can't find a proper word to describe it)

I don't want it as a stretch goal. I like having fun.

I like the idea of designating a target: small ships like the mustang could by example designate target -say, engines / radar dome...- on an Idris, and have a Retaliator or a Gladiator do a Bomb run on those previously marked targets.

It wasn't intended to be taken literally. Sorry if it was misconstrued as anything other than an attempt at humor -albeit an extremely weak attempt. This is a game, so lighten up.

Lets try to keep this more on topic and constructive. Next time, I will try to adhere to a more UN mandated internationally-backed unbiased plebiscite doctrine.
  • kaybob

Posted:
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

with ship sensors, this is redundant. A ship's targeting computer would be more than capable of handling all of this without issue.

As a ground targeting mechanic for plantside fighting, it's ok, but I'm strongly against lock on launchers, so if it was implemented like Tribes 2 then I see no issue (solution for dumbfire weapons). If it was implemented like the SOFLAM in BF3/BF4, with a complement of launchers that can lock on, it's just pretty lame.

Hi Mastif, do you have info as to how the sensors can be used between other players or NPCs? I am sure there is plenty on the issue that I haven't read yet.

Thanks in advance.
  • ProcyonV

Posted:
    Edited: by ProcyonV
    Posted:
    Edited:
    [hide]

[hide]

The negative answer part of your poll is childish, if not insulting (can't find a proper word to describe it)

It wasn't intended to be taken literally. Sorry if it was misconstrued as anything other than an attempt at humor -albeit an extremely weak attempt. This is a game, so lighten up.

Let's try to keep this more on topic and constructive. Next time, I will try to adhere to a more UN mandated internationally-backed unbiased plebiscite doctrine.
    Already responded to you in Reddit, but don't really like info to be cross-forum, so posting here too.

Let me paraphrase my quoting above: I'm an adult, trying to take the best decisions, so, when asked to vote, I like giving the "right" answer -the better choice I can make in a sincerely and honestly believe-.

I did vote before posting above, because I liked your idea. What I dislike, is the poll construction, which, even if it was intended as a joke, has IMHO 2 major flaws.

- The strecth goal part is 50% of importance in the question, the second 50% being the laser part.
    Love the lazer, not sure it should be a stretch goel.

- Second flaw, I disliked being considered a NOT-FUN person if I choose to vote NO.
    I'm not a fun person, but usually people don't notice that before it's too late! :-)

I'll have again the talk about how people react to things written in a forum, because the wording is everything you have to get an opinion about OP concern.
    So, if it's a joke, put a smiley :-)

No offense taken, dude, BTW :-) Just expressing my concerns, as in a democracy :-)

UN mandated doctrine is fine for me, better than North-Korean one :-)

2151645768_50f88c0d81_o.jpg

This is my first post so let me know if I make any mistakes

That's what I've done, I think :-)

ProcyonV_Signature.png